2011-2012 Northwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I'm an incoming M1 this fall at Feinberg, and I just wanted to share some of my impressions of the school. Although I'm not currently a student, hopefully some of the points I make about Northwestern will help y'all when it comes down to applying, interviewing, and ultimately making a decision where to attend!

Some pros I found with the school:

1) Location/Clinical Opportunities: NU is located in downtown Chicago (a few blocks away from Michigan Avenue), which in my opinion, is the best location to live while in school (along with SF and NY). One critique many have about NU is that because of its location, it doesn't exactly cater to the underserved/uninsured population, but that simply is not the case. Feinberg has numerous free clinics associated with it (Chinatown, Devon, Community Health Clinic, etc), and numerous poorer patients are served by Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Furthermore, the hospital is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and looks a lot like a hotel, and NU really tries to make sure the patients are provided as much as possible during their stay. A new Children's hospital was also recently built and will be ready to go in a year or two. So all in all, Northwestern Memorial really provides amazing clinical exposure to a diverse patient population (both in terms of financial and ethnic--it is Chicago after all).

2) Curriculum: Personally, I'm not a huge fan of long lectures, and thankfully, NU does a great job in cutting down lecture time, and incorporating PBL. Although some people are not particularly fond of PBL, from what I've been told, it really is more of a supplement for you to try to assess the basic sciences in a more clinical perspective/interact with your classmates. But I personally love the fact that I'd be done with class at noon on a few days of the week, giving me more time to do whatever I want. As for how well the curriculum works--the average board scores for the M3's for this year was ~240 (the highest in the country)--so it's your call. :rolleyes:

3) Extracurriculars/Students: The thing that really sold Feinberg to me, however, was this part. During second look and my interview, I personally found the prospectives/current students to be the most social, outgoing, friendly, and fun students I met throughout the entire med school app process. It seems that Feinberg really does do a great job in selecting its classes, as there are SO many different groups to get involved with, and so many things outside of medicine to pursue especially in a city like Chicago. Everyone wants to have the work hard/play hard mentality, and I think FSM really embodies it.

4) MD/MPH: I don't know much about this program, as I'm not in it, but the MD/MPH program here seems amazing, and is one of the few schools that offers you to get both degrees in only 4 years!

5) Diversity and class size: NU is actually ranked within the top 10 for ethnic diversity in terms of medical schools. This was definitely a huge selling point for me. Furthermore, I love the class size that FSM aims for every year (~170). Think about it, you're spending 4 years with these guys, and I think a bigger class size is better in terms of finding new ppl every year to get close to and who share many of the same interests as you do.

I also wanted to address some concerns some ppl have about the school as well:

1) Cost: Yes, Feinberg is expensive, and so is living in downtown Chicago. The tuition is about $45K, but that is on par with most private medical schools. Also, as opposed to contrary belief, Feinberg does give out quite a bit of merit aid (I believe $5 million in merit scholarships per year). If you look at last year's thread, someone was offered a full tuition scholarship as well. Furthermore, most students decide to live in Streeterville, which definitely gets expensive (I'm paying $1040 a month next year to live in 420 East Ohio, which is on the cheap side). However, public transportation is obviously awesome in Chicago (and free for students), so living in Lincoln Park or other further down areas is an option, and considerably cheaper.

2) Patient population: I talked about this in #1 for pros.

3) Too many HPME's!: First off, some ppl find this annoying (I have no idea why as HPME kids are some of the brightest and funnest students I've met--does it really matter that they didn't take the MCAT?), and second off, not true. Usually there are only about 20-30 HPME kids (out of a class of ~170). For the incoming class, I think there are around 25.

Now as for the application process:

I'm not sure what the averages/medians are in terms of numbers for this year's incoming class, but I'm sure an MCAT of about 36 and a GPA of about 3.8 is what they want most of their students to be around. Of course, this is only an average, and many students below that range are accepted every year, depending on what you bring to the table. Like I said earlier, Feinberg is very good (in my opinion) of composing a class of students with a lot of interests outside of medicine and academia. Of course research is important (since...well, let's face it, rankings are about research), but they really wanna make sure that students they accept have a good social life outside of academia. For instance, the secondary is quite long, and has a question that specifically asks about what you've done outside of the classroom. Just make sure you show them that you're a well rounded person in terms of your essays, your EC's, and assuming your scores are somewhere around their averages, there's a great chance of getting an interview! Also, a great thing about NU is that they interview only about 700 students and end up accepting roughly 1/2 of those they interview..which really makes the interview trip worthwhile.

In terms of the interview, there is one individual interview (which lasts roughly 20-30 minutes), and a panel group interview (which lasts a little more than an hour). The individual interview is very laid back, and the interviewer generally asks some basic questions which should be expected, as well as any updates to your application (like if you've been doing anything recently that should be noted). The panel interview, although it may sound intimidating, is actually really low stress, and kinda entertaining in my opinion. Generally there are 3 interviewees, and 3 interviewers (2 faculty members and one M4), who go around asking a question one by one to each student. The first 45 mins consists of each interviewer asking each interviewee a specific question. What I did was not only answer it, but if one of my answers brought up something that was discussed earlier, definitely bring it up. I think they really wanna see that instead of just dicking around while someone else is answering their question, you're actually LISTENING to what they have to say. For example, an answer can be: blah blah blah, kinda like what Interviewee X said before. After that is a 15 minute group activitiy where they assign you a task. Remember it's 3 ppl working on the task--talk for 1/3 of the time, and don't be afraid to speak up or challenge what others say--just be polite.

All in all, I absolutely LOVED Feinberg and it was definitely the most fun out of all the schools I interviewed at. Good luck to everyone and feel free to ask any questions about the process!:luck:

Oh, and P.S. Another great reason to come to Chicago--the Bulls and D-Rose are SICK

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing post, thanks for the insight! I know I'll be under their averages, but I'm hoping the rest of my app wins them over, as well as a Letter of Intent :) Your post just made me love the school more! :thumbup:

Great post washu. This is my absolute dream school and if this is the only school I get in to at the end of the cycle, I'll be a happy camper.

Good luck to everyone!

It's a huge reach for me, but I am very interested. :D

Hey guys, don't worry about NU being a "reach" school. If you look at mdapplicants.com, you'll see that there are plenty of students each year that get into Feinberg with much lower than average MCAT scores and GPA, who probably made up for it with their EC's and essays.

Also, if you're really interested in Feinberg, once you guys submit your secondary, feel free to shoot the admissions office an email if you're very serious about the school. I think Letter of Intent may be overkill though pre-interview (and actually pre-decision in general), but that's just my opinion. But Feinberg (as well as most other schools), love to be loved, and if you look at last year's thread and also from the 2009 app cycle, sending in letter of interests can help in being invited to an interview and as well as eventually being accepted.

I feel that NU's admissions department and Dean Wallace are pretty receptive to letter of interests--as that was the case for me as well as other accepted students this year that I know of.

Oh, and finally, I don't think interview invites are necessarily sent in order. For example, I was complete in mid August and didn't get invited for an interview til mid-October, while those that were complete later than me got invited in mid September. I don't really know why this is the case--either they simply don't get to your application or they invite students they like the most first? But in any case, if you guys get your apps in early, don't sweat it if you have to wait til like December before getting your invite.

i've heard that NU is pretty stats-focused -- what do you guys think? also, i've heard some bad things about how it's mostly "rich old white men" on the adcom and that the curriculum is super conservative, which can limit your opportunities in some fields -- is this true?

i've heard that NU is pretty stats-focused -- what do you guys think? also, i've heard some bad things about how it's mostly "rich old white men" on the adcom and that the curriculum is super conservative, which can limit your opportunities in some fields -- is this true?

I've heard this as well. They seem to accept stats much higher than they enroll. Really this just means that some superstar students end up choosing to matriculate somewhere else. They seem to accept somewhere around a 36/37 avg MCAT but their matriculated is really a 34 (still high). Most school data is skewed this way though. I wouldn't let is discourage you from applying if you like the school.

i've heard that NU is pretty stats-focused -- what do you guys think?

Stats are obviously important to NU, but that is the case with EVERY top medical school (and every top medical school will have mid 30's as an average MCAT and ~3.7-3.9 as an average. And why shouldn't they be important? But in terms of being make and break, that definitely is not the case (once again, refer to mdapplicants if you don't believe me) at NU or any other upper tier medical school. All schools look at an applicant holistically.

also, i've heard some bad things about how it's mostly "rich old white men" on the adcom

Not sure where you are getting this info from... :confused: Most medical schools will have "old white men" (i dunno about rich though) on their admissions committee considering, well, that they are in the majority. There are also other ethnicities present on the admissions committee (for example, Dean Franklin is African American and is the Dean of Diversity at Feinberg).

and that the curriculum is super conservative, which can limit your opportunities in some fields -- is this true?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "conservative," but if you look at the match lists from the last few years here at Feinberg, you'll see that numerous students match at great hospitals (UCSF, MGH, Hopkins, NMH, etc) in all types of different specialties. If anything, I'd say the curriculum at Feinberg (along with Case Western and Cornell) are super NOT conservative, considering they emphasize less class time, and more self-directed learning.

Too many HPMEs: HPMEs are rather annoying. Some are bright, some are not. Plus, you have HPMEs, NUPSPs, and NU students who get in through the regular admissions process. All in all, you have a LOT of students from NU undergrad.

PBL: None of the current students I talked to seemed to like PBL. The mock session you go through on interview day is not a good representation. In fact, you need to prepare powerpoint presentations and teach the material to your classmates for each session, which becomes rather cumbersome and annoying. Also, you GRADE your classmates and THEY GRADE YOU in PBL. Yes, FSM is P/F, but they also note who is in the top 10% of the class.

Boards: Other schools also said their average was the highest in the country. I wouldn't believe what the school says because average board scores generally are not published information. Match lists are.

Money: NU is stingy.

Also refer to this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10700193&postcount=32

Northwestern is a dream school for me. I'm putting them on the list, but being realistic about it. I visited last summer and loved the atmosphere. My mentor is a Feinberg grad and always has great things to say about the school. Here's hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha nice, we have a hater on-board (Arthur49)...or maybe someone that's just bitter who applied to Feinberg in the last cycle?

A few points:

Too many HPMEs: HPMEs are rather annoying. Some are bright, some are not. Plus, you have HPMEs, NUPSPs, and NU students who get in through the regular admissions process. All in all, you have a LOT of students from NU undergrad.

First off, the fact that you generalize that ALL hpme's are annoying completely ruins your argument b/c a) i doubt you know all of em, and b) sounds like you're just bitter that they got into the program and have it "easy." And, yes, these are some of the brightest and hardest working students in high school, so you calling them "not bright" makes me think that you hate on those non-traditional applicants who took 3+ years off and tried to make up for their GPA. Are you calling non-trads who end up doing post-bacc stupid too?
Secondly, yes, there are probably around ~50 or so students from NU that end up matriculating to Feinberg, which is about 30% of the class. If this is way too large for you, and for whatever reason annoying (I think NU kids are awesome btw), I don't think you'll enjoy residency very much when an even larger portion comes from the same affiliated medical school.

PBL: None of the current students I talked to seemed to like PBL. The mock session you go through on interview day is not a good representation. In fact, you need to prepare powerpoint presentations and teach the material to your classmates for each session, which becomes rather cumbersome and annoying. Also, you GRADE your classmates and THEY GRADE YOU in PBL. Yes, FSM is P/F, but they also note who is in the top 10% of the class.

PBL, of course, is not for everyone. But even if it is not for you, it really is only for 2 hours, 3 days a week. I personally like the fact that you have to prepare powerpoints (which also is not for every PBL session), b/c it allows you to have the incentive to research certain topics further. But I personally will take PBL if it means the lecture time is less. Also, about the P/F thing...yes, FSM is true P/F (no honors, etc), but, I guarantee you that almost EVERY single medical school notes who their top students are for AOA purposes. AOA is present at most medical schools, but certainly is not necessary for getting into competitive residencies, but it definitely helps.

Boards: Other schools also said their average was the highest in the country. I wouldn't believe what the school says because average board scores generally are not published information. Match lists are.

This, of course, I can't really argue with. I've heard Vanderbilt say the same thing during my interview for their scores two years ago. But, what I do know is that FSM did have an average board scores of ~240, whether or not that was the highest int he country is of course a matter of he said/she said. But an average of 99%ile is pretty nice if you ask me.

Money: NU is stingy.

This I'm not sure if I can comment on b/c I don't know the financial situation of a lot of students. However, I do know that I and a couple other ppl I talked to were offered pretty good merit/need-based aid at Feinberg. Although they may not be as good as the aid provided by schools such as Mayo and UChicago, I feel like NU is getting better about this point, and it seems to be the major criticism of FSM.

Cute, I see you only showed this one post, rather than the entire thread, which had an actual DISCUSSION of the matter, where the OP came into terms that it's a matter of personal opinion. Here is the whole discussion: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802934 (scroll to the bottom)

Once again guys, I personally love Feinberg, and although it's nice to see different viewpoints about any school, it really depends on the viewpoint of the applicant.

Last edited:
Everything I said was factual and not opinionated except for the snippet about HPME's being annoying (and I never said they all are). Yes, some HPMEs are not bright...it's true...but some of these may end up dropping the program. Yes, NU is stingy. I never said they give out nothing, but they are stingy and giving out a couple scholarships won't change that.

How do you feel about grading your classmates and them grading you in PBL? This seems to be the only thing I said that you didn't refute.

The fact that the school denotes who is in the top 10% of the class puts a damper on the P/F system, since being in the top 10% or 15% of the class is the requirement for honors at many P/F/H schools. At Vanderbilt, it's the top 20% or top 25% that receive honors. There are P/F schools that don't do this.

Also, I only showed the one post because that's what I wanted to direct people towards. There is a link on the individual post to the entire thread, so people could have easily accessed the entire thread with one extra click of the mouse. This is how you are supposed to link people to an individual post. However, the individual post always has a link to the parent thread, so I am not sure why you criticized me for this.

BTW, you shouldn't assume anything about me or accuse me of anything (for instance, not liking non-traditional applicants). I could very well be a non-traditional applicant. Also, I turned down FSM.

Last edited:
Arthur49, I apologize if what I said was taken as me criticizing/accusing you of anything, I definitely did not mean for that to be the case...I just got a little heated since some of my good friends are HPME and will be starting in the Fall at Feinberg haha. It's nice to see alternate viewpoints on a school so that applicants can have a pretty detailed list of pros and cons while applying and deciding on which school to attend, so it's nice to get a little discussion going :thumbup:

As for students evaluating/grading each other during PBL, I can't really give any thoughts on this since I'm not sure exactly how it works, as I'm not currently a student. If that is the case though, I personally don't have any problem with it. If anything, I think it's a great way for students to become more of a cohesive and collaborative student body (I doubt many students would actually try to screw each other over in this way). I also think that that is why Feinberg likes students who have had some tutoring/teaching experience. For example, a large portion of WashU students who were General Chemistry PLTL leaders, including myself, (PLTL is essentially very very similar to PBL, where students themselves come up with the answer by working together), were offered interviews at Feinberg.

As for the top 10%/AOA bit, the first two years of medical school play a very very minor role in terms of points for AOA status...70-80% is decided in your clinical years anyways, so I don't think it really makes too much of a difference. Although, I personally like not having Honors though b/c it makes it a lot less stressful when you're not constantly worried about getting that little H on your grade report.

It's okay, no hard feelings. There are some wonderful HPMEs. I agree that multiple perspectives are good. I am sharing this information because I wish I learned it sooner as opposed to during/after my interview.

But in terms of being make and break, that definitely is not the case (once again, refer to mdapplicants if you don't believe me) at NU or any other upper tier medical school. All schools look at an applicant holistically.

It looks like the bottom 10th percentile for Northwestern is a 32.

does NU send secondaries to all applicants or do they screen? and im assuming its not pass fail?

does NU send secondaries to all applicants or do they screen? and im assuming its not pass fail?

Last year they did not screen for secondaries, and yes, it is Pass/Fail for the first two years.

To washu's credit, I have heard from current students at NU that there are and have been sub-30 mcat people that go there. Maybe like 1 per class or something haha. So it is true, to some degree, that they look at the applicant as a whole.

Hey guys, don't worry about NU being a "reach" school. If you look at mdapplicants.com, you'll see that there are plenty of students each year that get into Feinberg with much lower than average MCAT scores and GPA, who probably made up for it with their EC's and essays.

Yea, I mean, most of us are still worried, but thanks for the encouragement!

It looks like the bottom 10th percentile for Northwestern is a 32.

My main concern. With a 31 I don't even scratch the 10 percent mark :laugh:

Also, if you're really interested in Feinberg, once you guys submit your secondary, feel free to shoot the admissions office an email if you're very serious about the school. I think Letter of Intent may be overkill though pre-interview (and actually pre-decision in general), but that's just my opinion. But Feinberg (as well as most other schools), love to be loved, and if you look at last year's thread and also from the 2009 app cycle, sending in letter of interests can help in being invited to an interview and as well as eventually being accepted.

I feel that NU's admissions department and Dean Wallace are pretty receptive to letter of interests--as that was the case for me as well as other accepted students this year that I know of.

Oh, and finally, I don't think interview invites are necessarily sent in order. For example, I was complete in mid August and didn't get invited for an interview til mid-October, while those that were complete later than me got invited in mid September. I don't really know why this is the case--either they simply don't get to your application or they invite students they like the most first? But in any case, if you guys get your apps in early, don't sweat it if you have to wait til like December before getting your invite.

Hi all. WashU gave some great info! I'm also an incoming M1 and wanted to further supplement the highlighted text. I submitted my secondary ASAP after receiving it and was complete near the beginning of the cycle (early August). I didn't get my interview invitation until mid-January, interviewed late-January, accepted early February, and now I'm matriculating. Moral of the story: don't give up hope until you hear concrete info.

:luck: all!

Last edited:
Hi, i am an international student, i am wondering whats the % of international student in class? thanks!

Hi, i am an international student, i am wondering whats the % of international student in class? thanks!

Although I'm not sure what it is for the class of 2015, according to Feinberg's website, the class of 2014 had 13 international students. Also, in the last few years, the incoming class had anywhere between 9 and 13.

EDIT: whoops, sorry, just saw that the website lists the number of foreign countries represented, not necessarily the number of students. sorry bout that.

Last edited:
what are the essays for 2012? I heard the supp was emailed a few days ago?

Although I'm not sure what it is for the class of 2015, according to Feinberg's website, the class of 2014 had 13 international students. Also, in the last few years, the incoming class had anywhere between 9 and 13.

EDIT: whoops, sorry, just saw that the website lists the number of foreign countries represented, not necessarily the number of students. sorry bout that.

377 international applied 64 interviewed 13 matriculated from MSAR

thanks a lot! :thumbup:

okay well my friend didn't really tell me the truth then when he said he got a secondary from Northwestern, maybe he's trying to psych me out.

okay well my friend didn't really tell me the truth

h13722.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:
So, I was invited to interview at UChicago and also applied to NWstern but haven't even received a secondary yet. Is it kosher, once I schedule my UChicago interview, to send NWstern an email being like "hey I just wanted to let you know I got this interview at another school in chicago and money is tight so I'd like to interview at NWstern while I'm there, if I am going to interview at all?" or is that just presumptuous?

So, I was invited to interview at UChicago and also applied to NWstern but haven't even received a secondary yet. Is it kosher, once I schedule my UChicago interview, to send NWstern an email being like "hey I just wanted to let you know I got this interview at another school in chicago and money is tight so I'd like to interview at NWstern while I'm there, if I am going to interview at all?" or is that just presumptuous?

My personal opinion is that, yes, it is a bit presumptuous.

What are you guys talking about. That's called an 'in the area' message and it's totally kosher.

I think its fine only because you were invited to interview at UChicago and you can say that. They're both comparable schools. It's not like you're taking a random vacation and just dropped a message saying you where there, especially if you're not competitive.

What are you guys talking about. That's called an 'in the area' message and it's totally kosher.

I am not an expert, but I thought that "in the area" messages were more about coordinating the dates of multiple interviews to which you've already been invited, not asking them to make a decision about you just because you'll be in town.

Regardless, I can't imagine this idea doing you any good, OP.

Does anybody know when the secondary for northwestern usually come out??

I am not an expert, but I thought that "in the area" messages were more about coordinating the dates of multiple interviews to which you've already been invited, not asking them to make a decision about you just because you'll be in town.

Regardless, I can't imagine this idea doing you any good, OP.

alright I thought the opposite, as I know someone got an interview to stanford this way, but clearly this topic deserves a thread of its own.

Hello everybody, I'm wishing you guys the very best. Northwestern is a powerhouse. Simple as that. You come here, you're among the best. You leave the best. I put it among the top 10 med schools. Amazing school.

Hello everybody, I'm wishing you guys the very best. Northwestern is a powerhouse. Simple as that. You come here, you're among the best. You leave the best. I put it among the top 10 med schools. Amazing school.

Shufflin-

Apart from obviously being the most purely intelligent human beings to ever grace this planet, to what do you attribute your class' Step 1 success? Any specific curricular features or professors or study techniques?

Does anybody know when the secondary for northwestern usually come out??

My friend said he called admissions earlier and they told him it would be released "Soon. Within the next week or two."

Definitely the caliber of students - about 1 in 50 applicants receives an acceptance if I'm not mistaken and everyone here is not only down-to-earth but extremely efficient and good at studying. The curriculum plays a large role as well in many regards. I like our mix of interactive case-based sessions, large lectures, team learning, and time on your own for studying. Plus, all of our exams are multiple choice and harder than the boards exams. So by the time Step 1 rolls around, you get exposed to your healthy share of very difficult multiple choice questions. Does this lead to a competitive atmosphere? No, because our first two years is all pass/fail. it just prepares you well for not only the boards, but for rotations and knowing your stuff.

Definitely the caliber of students - about 1 in 50 applicants receives an acceptance if I'm not mistaken

Maybe you heard wrong, it's more like 1 in 15. A rate of 1 in 50 would be the lowest in the country.

So I got the secondary but I can't see each individual essay. I can only see the first one and it won't let me move on to view the others without giving a response to that one... Anyone get all of the essay questions? :)

please post prompts!!! (based on that i will decide to apply, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.