2011-2012 Northwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
please post prompts!!! (based on that i will decide to apply, lol)

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Members don't see this ad.

Wow these may just be the most open-ended essays I have ever seen

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having repeated errors when trying to upload a photo?

here's hoping that they are sending them in batches....

here's hoping that they are sending them in batches....

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/admissions/process/requirements/supplemental.html

Northwestern Website said:
Once you submit your AMCAS application and it is verified by AMCAS (a process that takes about 5 weeks), you should check your email frequently (after July 16) for an invitation to complete and submit the Feinberg supplemental application.
All applicants are invited via email to complete the supplemental application and pay the processing fee of $85.00, at the secure applicant web site.

Don't worry, it's coming :D

Wow these may just be the most open-ended essays I have ever seen

Yep. It's the first one that annoys me though; describe my personality? That's a hard one to write in a remotely interesting way.

ESSAY 1 - PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Describe your personality and personal characteristics and how you expect that they will lead to success in the specific curriculum and learning environment of FSM.
(Limit your response to 400 words)

ESSAY 2 - COPING SKILLS
Describe the coping strategies that you employ when confronted with a difficult (non-academic) situation.

ESSAY 3 - OTHER PURSUITS
Describe any experiences away from traditional educational pursuits (such as travel, or time in the workplace other than summer jobs). Specify the timeframe and the impact that the activity has had upon you. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which as been formative.

ESSAY 4-FUTURE PROFESSIONAL PLANS
Based on your experience to date, describe the medical career that you envision.
(Limit your response to 200 words)

Phew! Looks like it's a carbon copy of last year's, for those of us who were trying to get a lil' head-start. It paid off!

Good luck, peeps!!

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } "Describe your personality and personal characteristics and how you expect that they will lead to success in the specific curriculum and learning environment of FSM."

Can any current or past FSM students describe this specific curriculum and learning environment a bit more? We've already heard some stuff about the P/F for the first 2 years, and about the mix of small group learning, study time, etc. But it seems like a lot of med schools have those features.

What's truly unique about Feinberg's curriculum and learning environment?

Thanks!

So I got the secondary but I can't see each individual essay. I can only see the first one and it won't let me move on to view the others without giving a response to that one... Anyone get all of the essay questions? :)

Maybe you can try typing something to the first text box to make it display the second one? I haven't got my secondary yet, would appreciate if anyone could please post the prompts here.

ESSAY 1 - PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Describe your personality and personal characteristics and how you expect that they will lead to success in the specific curriculum and learning environment of FSM.

ESSAY 2 - COPING SKILLS
Describe the coping strategies that you employ when confronted with a difficult (non-academic) situation.

ESSAY 3 - OTHER PURSUITS
Describe any experiences away from traditional educational pursuits (such as travel, or time in the workplace other than summer jobs). Specify the timeframe and the impact that the activity has had upon you. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which as been formative.

ESSAY 4-FUTURE PROFESSIONAL PLANS
Based on your experience to date, describe the medical career that you envision.
(Limit your response to 200 words)

Dangerross,
This was above your post on the same page.:)

Anyone else having repeated errors when trying to upload a photo?

Yes, I am! My picture is less than 10MB so I don't know what the problem is. I might send them an email at the address they provide. Anyone else having this problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
So excited for the secondary! This is definitely my top choice, so here's hoping!! :luck: Good luck to all you guys as the secondary comes out!

Got the secondary about an hour ago. Even though I went to undergrad here, reading through the class profile scared me :)

If I'm understanding this correctly, Northwestern only wants three individual letters at this point and will accept additional letters after interview invitation? So I should only assign my best three letters on AMCAS, right?

If I'm understanding this correctly, Northwestern only wants three individual letters at this point and will accept additional letters after interview invitation? So I should only assign my best three letters on AMCAS, right?

I called them and the lady said you can send more but they "don't want to be overwhelmed". I figured I would just play it safe and submit my three strongest letters only, for now.

I just went ahead and assigned all 5 of my letters and figured if they wanted to, they would read them. No use in underselling yourself at this point IMO. :)

I just went ahead and assigned all 5 of my letters and figured if they wanted to, they would read them. No use in underselling yourself at this point IMO. :)

Yeah mine were all together in a packet to AMCAS so didn't have much of a choice. Hopefully they read the best ones just by coincidence haha.

Yes, I am! My picture is less than 10MB so I don't know what the problem is. I might send them an email at the address they provide. Anyone else having this problem?

Ok, I spoke to the application service yesterday. They emailed me today and said that it should be fixed (and for me, it works now). If it still doesn't work for you though, definitely contact them, because they said that they could upload the photo for you if you email it to them. Good luck to you!

Ok, I spoke to the application service yesterday. They emailed me today and said that it should be fixed (and for me, it works now). If it still doesn't work for you though, definitely contact them, because they said that they could upload the photo for you if you email it to them. Good luck to you!

It works for me now, too. Thanks for your help and good luck!

still haven't received the secondary? anyone else?

No secondary here either... Verified 6/3.

I haven't got it either. It'll come, don't worry.

Just received it today. Verified 7/5. MSTP applicant.

Just received the secondary too.

wow got 2ndry! WOOHOO!

Does any one know if there is a strict word limit to the essays? Could we go over the limit of 400 and 200?

Does any one know if there is a strict word limit to the essays? Could we go over the limit of 400 and 200?

I don't know, but I wouldn't recommend going over by much, if at all. Each of the prompts says, "Limit your response to 400 (or 200) words." Other schools have used more lenient wording, such as, "about 20-25 lines" or, "Try to limit...."

NU seems pretty clear about its upper limits. How close are you? Maybe you could send it to one of the PS readers. Or, I'd be happy to try and help you trim some words if you're within 50.

It actually keeps you from moving on to the next essay if you go over the word limit on the previous one. It tells you how many words you're over the limit by and expects you to fix it before moving on.

Here is a more precise answer. In 2010 over 6,500 applied and we typically accept 2x the class size which translates to ballpark 340 / 6500 or about 1 in 19 in 2010, which is what you'd expect from a top-tier school.

Some years we've had 7000 to 7500 applicants which changes the acceptance rate to about 1 in 22. Depends on the year, but damn hard no matter how you cut it. Hope this helps.

Hey y'all, since it looks like the secondaries are out now, good luck to everyone!

The secondary will probably take longer than those of most schools, but here are some things that might be helpful to keep in mind when answering some of those questions.

Feinberg asks a lot about your "outside interests" and how you "deal with stress," etc, probably b/c of the way the curriculum is structured and because of its location. For example, we have pretty short class time as compared to the other schools, and because we're in downtown chicago and right along the beach, they wanna make sure that you do things outside of just study. For example, they really pride themselves on all the Feinberg interest student groups, etc during your interview and during second look. So if you have a hobby like dancing, running, playing an instrument, or something, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk about it. Also, with the personality and how it fits with the curriculum question, keep in mind that there's a lot of PBL, so they wanna make sure that you're good at working in groups. So if you've done tutoring or been a leader in a group in college, I'd mention that for sure. Finally, with the whole "envision your medical career" question, it's nice to know that NU has its MD/MPH and MD/MA programs that they're really trying to push (we've been getting emails about it all summer). They LOVE students who've either been abroad prior to matriculation or worked with underserved (basically ppl with cultures/lifestyles different than yours). Plus, we're in Chicago and have a bunch of free clinics associated with NU. I would definitely talk about those things if you're passionate about it, and even consider the MD/MPH path (since it's only 4 years long).

I hope all this helps!

is anyone else in the position of having just graduated and being unsure as to what to write for the "other pursuits" question?

i have travel/other things planned for my year off, but i've only been out of school for two months. besides finishing up some research, all i've done is work a boring 9-5 to make money for travel and the things i want to do.

is anyone else in the position of having just graduated and being unsure as to what to write for the "other pursuits" question?

i have travel/other things planned for my year off, but i've only been out of school for two months. besides finishing up some research, all i've done is work a boring 9-5 to make money for travel and the things i want to do.

I guess that if up to this point you've been in school continuously, just write about an activity that has been formative. Eh?

Hmm. I dont remember uploading a photo.

Submitted. Really excited to finally apply here. I would love to stay in the Chi :xf:...good luck everyone!

Hmm. I dont remember uploading a photo.

I think it's optional and it's listed on the first page you fill out. So for the recommendation letters, they can retrieve it from the AMCAS letter service?

awesome advice, washu! i was just about to submit my secondary but now i'll add a bit more to it!

Hi, for the "coping" essay, do you think they want something general, or would they like a story and then how we handled it?

Hey y'all, since it looks like the secondaries are out now, good luck to everyone!

The secondary will probably take longer than those of most schools, but here are some things that might be helpful to keep in mind when answering some of those questions.

Feinberg asks a lot about your "outside interests" and how you "deal with stress," etc, probably b/c of the way the curriculum is structured and because of its location. For example, we have pretty short class time as compared to the other schools, and because we're in downtown chicago and right along the beach, they wanna make sure that you do things outside of just study. For example, they really pride themselves on all the Feinberg interest student groups, etc during your interview and during second look. So if you have a hobby like dancing, running, playing an instrument, or something, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk about it. Also, with the personality and how it fits with the curriculum question, keep in mind that there's a lot of PBL, so they wanna make sure that you're good at working in groups. So if you've done tutoring or been a leader in a group in college, I'd mention that for sure. Finally, with the whole "envision your medical career" question, it's nice to know that NU has its MD/MPH and MD/MA programs that they're really trying to push (we've been getting emails about it all summer). They LOVE students who've either been abroad prior to matriculation or worked with underserved (basically ppl with cultures/lifestyles different than yours). Plus, we're in Chicago and have a bunch of free clinics associated with NU. I would definitely talk about those things if you're passionate about it, and even consider the MD/MPH path (since it's only 4 years long).

I hope all this helps!

Complete and under review since last week.

I want an II so bad it hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.