2011-2012 Northwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, for the "coping" essay, do you think they want something general, or would they like a story and then how we handled it?

I outlined in general how I cope with stress and gave an example that it could be applied to.

Members don't see this ad.

For this question: .Describe any experiences away from traditional educational pursuits (such as travel, or time in the workplace other than summer jobs). Specify the timeframe and the impact that the activity has had upon you. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative.

.Do you think it would be OK to talk about a tutoring job that I held during college. It's academic in the sense that I'm teaching, but non-academic in that it was a job I held outside of class.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For this question: .Describe any experiences away from traditional educational pursuits (such as travel, or time in the workplace other than summer jobs). Specify the timeframe and the impact that the activity has had upon you. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative.

.Do you think it would be OK to talk about a tutoring job that I held during college. It's academic in the sense that I'm teaching, but non-academic in that it was a job I held outside of class.

Thanks!

Hey, I think that should be fine. I also talked about teaching/tutoring in my secondary. I think the part about "the impact that activity has had upon you" is the most important. If teaching/tutoring is something that you definitely would like to pursue in either med school or later, I think it'd be a good idea to write about it.

best of luck guys. with love to go here or U of C.:)

I'm posting this just to help out any new student who still has no housing because I remember how stressful moving can be:

I know of a great apartment available for any incoming medical student that is literally across the street from campus. It's subsidized by the university and sits next to million dollar apartments on the lake with a great view of the lake, tennis courts, museum yard, and skyline where they have fireworks twice a week. In other words, you pay very little to live like a king.

PM me if interested.

Anyone from past application cycles have any experience with 'in the area' emails to NU? I didn't see it addressed on the school's website and I don't want to impose, so I'm likely leaning against it unless someone has had past experience with such an email working out.

Thanks

Anyone get a fee waiver from NU(Not FAP)? I keep emailing them and they havent responded back even though they told me to contact them...

Does anyone else keep thinking of Flying Spaghetti Monster when they see FSM? ...I think I'm spending too much time on reddit

i'm interested in MD/MPH at northwestern. I didn't indicate that on my AMCAS (because that was before I changed my mind) but now I am planning to indicate that on my supplemental application.

I'm just kind of scared how competitive it will be! (if i'd have a better chance applying just MD than MD/MPH?? because it's already a pretty reach school for me!) Can anyone give me an advice? and it would be great if any current student can further enlighten me about the program! :)

THANKS!

i'm interested in MD/MPH at northwestern. I didn't indicate that on my AMCAS (because that was before I changed my mind) but now I am planning to indicate that on my supplemental application.

I'm just kind of scared how competitive it will be! (if i'd have a better chance applying just MD than MD/MPH?? because it's already a pretty reach school for me!) Can anyone give me an advice? and it would be great if any current student can further enlighten me about the program! :)

THANKS!

I think the deadline for MD/MPH is in the fall of matriculation, so you definitely don't need to indicate as such right now. And I don't really see applying MD vs MD/MPH affecting your chances in any way.

Btw, I'm also interested in the 4-year MD/MPH but realized that getting an MPH tacks on another $50,000 in tuition. Trying to decide if it's worth the cost...

So for the question on coping strategies are they do they mean dealing dealing with an ongoing challenge (e.g a confrontation with someone, or being under a heavy deadline) or dealing with a traumatic event (e.g losing a loved one, or being rejected form all your med schools). I keeping reading it both ways and am having trouble framing the response properly.

So for the question on coping strategies are they do they mean dealing dealing with an ongoing challenge (e.g a confrontation with someone, or being under a heavy deadline) or dealing with a traumatic event (e.g losing a loved one, or being rejected form all your med schools). I keeping reading it both ways and am having trouble framing the response properly.

Its really open ended, the key is what you do to coupe not necessairly the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are most of you all using the entire 400 words? I wrote my first draft responses and most are around 200.

Are most of you all using the entire 400 words? I wrote my first draft responses and most are around 200.

I used about 250 for the first and significantly fewer for the other ones.

I used every word I could get on the one about describing your personality and how it would lead to success, and then I used about 300-350 for the other ones that gave 400. I used about 150 on the one that gave 200.

Schools like Northwestern/U of Chi don't have an "in state preference" correct? I feel as though I recall my pre-med advisor saying something along the lines of... every state has a certain amount of "seats" for IS applicants and that it is beneficial to apply to them.

Is it too late to add Northwestern this cycle?

I was talking to a college friend who interviewed at northwestern last year and he made me regret overlooking northwestern in my initial list of schools. I don't know how much of a rolling-admissions school northwestern is, but if I were to add it now (already verified), how much of a disadvantage would a late August app be?

Hey,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the first prompt about personality and personal characteristics. I can't decide if its best to focus on one or two main personality traits with specific examples of where you demonstrated them and how they apply to FSM, or better to give a broader summary of you, which I think is somewhat harder to do without sounding generic (less specific examples related to your own activities).

Thanks!

For those of you who got interview invites:

1. Can we get stats?
2. Were any of you reapplicants?
3. Were any of you non-traditional/took time off to work etc?

After being in my inbox for over a month, I am done with this secondary!!!!

complete as of yesterday. Waiting. Fee waiver from NU processed. yay free app

Interview Invite! I am unbelievably excited. This is one of my top choices. YAY!!!!

Interview Invite! I am unbelievably excited. This is one of my top choices. YAY!!!!

Congratulations on the invite!! Do you mind posting when you were complete?

I submitted my application on August 16th and was complete a day or two after that.

Thanks! Any advice for the interview?

Look over your application extensively and think about what you want to emphasize and how to explain it in a clear and concise manner. The panel will have not read your application, so you've got to figure out how to show off all the good parts without sounding like you're bragging.

Be prepared to be asked almost any question. Example from mine last year: "Let's imagine that I am visiting your hometown. Where would you take me and what would we do so that I could truly understand what it is to live in your hometown?"

Hi All,

I don't know how widely known this part of SDN is, but the interview feedback site was a HUGE help for me during interview season.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=allopathic

A large portion of the questions posted were asked at my specific interviews. FSM is no different.

And with regards to advice, just be yourself, as corny as it sounds.

:luck:

Got a northwestern interview

Congrats! What date?

Umm i need to call. I want to make it when im in chicago so i dont have to make a double trip. But date isnt listed. Left a message : /

Any idea if FSM uses MCAT cutoffs?.. This school is really out of reach for me with 12,8,11,Q... But just wanted to know if it was still worth throwing a $100 and submitting this secondary in... And GOOD LUCK on your interviews!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Interview invite today! I chose 9/26. Other dates available: 9/30, 10/3, and 10/7 (I think).

Complete 8/15
MCAT: 41
GPA: 3.9

Status
Not open for further replies.