2023-2024 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Northwestern (Feinberg) Secondary Prompts

All 200 word max limits.

1. FEINBERG CURRICULUM: Describe which part (s) of Feinberg’s integrated curriculum you are most excited to engage in and best align with your learning style.

2. COPING STRATEGIES: Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities.

3. FUTURE CAREER PLANS: Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific goal within medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago, will help you achieve this professional goal.

4. POST-UNDERGRADUATE EXPERIENCES (if applicable): If you have one year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe both your completed activities and future plans during the gap period.

5. REAPPLICANT (if applicable): If you are reapplying to medical school, please address steps taken to improve your application.

6. FEINBERG SCHOOL OF MEDICINE RELATIONSHIP
Do you or an immediate family member have an existing relationship with Feinberg School of Medicine?

7. Personal Narrative: The Feinberg School of Medicine values the totality of our students’ experiences. As everyone has their own narrative, please provide more detail about how your unique experiences would enrich the Northwestern community.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on last year's prompt:

3. FUTURE CAREER PLANS: Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific goal within medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago which is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the country, will help you achieve this professional goal. (200 word max)

How specific should this goal be? Can it be something like "I want to be a primary care physician" or should it be something like "I want to be a primary care physician that treats X patient population for Y disease..."

Reactions: 1 users
How specific should this goal be? Can it be something like "I want to be a primary care physician" or should it be something like "I want to be a primary care physician that treats X patient population for Y disease..."
If you can be a bit more specific regarding patient population and speciality, go for it. Do be mindful that the word limit will likely prevent you from getting too specific and considering medical students often change their mind, it might be good to avoid getting too niche.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary a few hours ago

Members don't see this ad :)
@chilly_md

1. FEINBERG CURRICULUM: Describe which part (s) of Feinberg’s integrated curriculum you are most excited to engage in and best align with your learning style. (200 word max)

2. COPING STRATEGIES: Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)

3. FUTURE CAREER PLANS: Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific goal within medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago, will help you achieve this professional goal. (200 word max)

4. POST-UNDERGRADUATE EXPERIENCES (if applicable): If you have one year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe both your completed activities and future plans during the gap period. (200 word max)

5. REAPPLICANT (if applicable): If you are reapplying to medical school, please address steps taken to improve your application. (200 word max)

7. Personal Narrative: The Feinberg School of Medicine values the totality of our students’ experiences. As everyone has their own narrative, please provide more detail about how your unique experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 word max)

Reactions: 6 users
@chilly_md

1. FEINBERG CURRICULUM: Describe which part (s) of Feinberg’s integrated curriculum you are most excited to engage in and best align with your learning style. (200 word max)

2. COPING STRATEGIES: Describe specific steps you take to manage your stress and maintain wellness while balancing personal, educational, and professional responsibilities. (200 word max)

3. FUTURE CAREER PLANS: Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific goal within medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago, will help you achieve this professional goal. (200 word max)

4. POST-UNDERGRADUATE EXPERIENCES (if applicable): If you have one year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe both your completed activities and future plans during the gap period. (200 word max)

5. REAPPLICANT (if applicable): If you are reapplying to medical school, please address steps taken to improve your application. (200 word max)

7. Personal Narrative: The Feinberg School of Medicine values the totality of our students’ experiences. As everyone has their own narrative, please provide more detail about how your unique experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 word max)
clutch, tysm! also seems like they reworded their first prompt a little

edit: also cut the wording of prompt #3 a little and got rid of the covid essay💀

Last edited:
What are you all putting for "Current Address & Phone Number(s) are valid until:" if you aren't planning to leaving your permanent address anytime soon?

Did anyone else who submitted look back at their application and see that the Clery Act wasn't checkmarked (within the Policy Statements page)? I swear I checkmarked it and saved two separate times, so I think it might be a glitch? (at least on my end)

Did anyone else who submitted look back at their application and see that the Clery Act wasn't checkmarked (within the Policy Statements page)? I swear I checkmarked it and saved two separate times, so I think it might be a glitch? (at least on my end)
Yep. I wouldn't worry.

For "Describe which part (s) of Feinberg’s integrated curriculum you are most excited to engage in and best align with your learning style." are they talking about any facet of their curriculum as a whole? Or is there a specific part that they're referring to when they say integrated curriculum? Just wanted to make sure I've got this right before I submit!

@chilly_md

Are there 6 or 7 prompts? Your numbering goes from 5 to 7

Are there 6 or 7 prompts? Your numbering goes from 5 to 7
7, but question #6 is asking about your relationship/connections with Northwestern:

6. FEINBERG SCHOOL OF MEDICINE RELATIONSHIP

Do you or an immediate family member have an existing relationship with Feinberg School of Medicine?

Reactions: 2 users
5. REAPPLICANT (if applicable): If you are reapplying to medical school, please address steps taken to improve your application.

I did an early decision program last year, but that was it. Should I still answer this question? It feels tricky because I feel like I would have to explain why I did not prefer to apply to NW last year.

I did an early decision program last year, but that was it. Should I still answer this question? It feels tricky because I feel like I would have to explain why I did not prefer to apply to NW last year.
That is considering applying. You probably should answer truthfully here, but you do not have to touch the topic of why you did not apply to Northwestern before.

That is considering applying. You probably should answer truthfully here, but you do not have to touch the topic of why you did not apply to Northwestern before.
Wait so this essay isn't just for those who applied to Northwestern before? I was a little confused by whether I had to answer it or not

It feels like a trap either way:

1. I mention I early applied elsewhere -> 'oh so you *really* had preference elsewhere?'
2. I mention that I'm simply a re-applicant -> leaves the door open for speculation

My current draft employs option 2. I don't know how to feel.

Wait so this essay isn't just for those who applied to Northwestern before? I was a little confused by whether I had to answer it or not
No, there is no phrasing that suggests it is for prior applicants to Northwestern only. It would have specified it otherwise.

Okay it sounds like I made the same mistake. I interpreted it as reapplicant to NW and didn't write anything. The caveat is my prior application was as a sophomore to the Mt Sinai early assurance program. I never applied to traditional medical school before this cycle. I submitted my secondary a while ago.

What's the best course of action? I'm going to look through any other schools to see if I made the same mistake for them.

• Care
Okay it sounds like I made the same mistake. I interpreted it as reapplicant to NW and didn't write anything. The caveat is my prior application was as a sophomore to the Mt Sinai early assurance program. I never applied to traditional medical school before this cycle. I submitted my secondary a while ago.

What's the best course of action? I'm going to look through any other schools to see if I made the same mistake for them.
The question appears to be worded slightly differently this year, but a poster last year indicated that Northwestern said they do not need to fill it out:

Since it appears the school was quick to answer questions, someone could ask again to be sure.

I'll volunteer as tribute.

I'll email them my situation and also say I learned about it on online forums and others have similar questions (i.e. is the question for NW reapps only or all Medical School reapps).

• Care
"Thank you for your e-mail. The Reapplicant question is primarily intended for reapplicants to Feinberg (if our office received your AMCAS application in a previous cycle), who would like to share significant application improvements. Note: If you had applied to medical schools other than Feinberg previously, you can also feel free to answer this Reapplicant question, however to aid the reviewer of your application, you should mention that you are a reapplicant but did not previously apply to NU if you do share information in this section.

Yes, feel free to post this information on the online forum. Thanks!"

Reactions: 4 users
"Thank you for your e-mail. The Reapplicant question is primarily intended for reapplicants to Feinberg (if our office received your AMCAS application in a previous cycle), who would like to share significant application improvements. Note: If you had applied to medical schools other than Feinberg previously, you can also feel free to answer this Reapplicant question, however to aid the reviewer of your application, you should mention that you are a reapplicant but did not previously apply to NU if you do share information in this section.

Great info. Thanks.

GOATed. You can use this for a leadership secondary prompt 😏

• Haha
Im interested in NW because of some of their global health funding opportunities, do you think its off limits to talk about these opportunities as a means to accomplish a future goal because the question talks about "in chicago"? Like are they asking us to talk about why having education in chicago will prepare us for future goals?

"Feinberg’s mission is to train future leaders in medicine who will serve their patients, communities and society. Describe one specific goal within medicine and how FSM, located in Chicago, will help you achieve this professional goal."

For "Describe which part (s) of Feinberg’s integrated curriculum you are most excited to engage in and best align with your learning style." are they talking about any facet of their curriculum as a whole? Or is there a specific part that they're referring to when they say integrated curriculum? Just wanted to make sure I've got this right before I submit!
Wanted to follow up here since I'm not sure whether this question was answered.

I chose to discuss one particular aspect
Got it, but is the "integrated curriculum" referring to something specific (ie. is there a program called "integrated curriculum"), or is it just talking about the curriculum as a whole?

Do they have an institutional action question this year? Last year there was another section aside from the main questions, and instead of numbers the questions were marked like A, B, C etc. those ones had essays if you checked yes to them.
Just following up on this question to see if anyone can share the A, B, C prompts. Thanks!

Realized I had a brain fart and filled out the mailing address with only my street address and I forgot to put the city and state name in one of my secondary......but it's the same as my primary app address which is complete.

Is it okay/worth it to contact the school about this?

Neurotic: is this an automatic rejection

Realized I had a brain fart and filled out the mailing address with only my street address and I forgot to put the city and state name in one of my secondary......but it's the same as my primary app address which is complete.

Is it okay/worth it to contact the school about this?

Neurotic: is this an automatic rejection
you'll not only get rejected but you're gonna get blacklisted from every medical school (you could send an email if it would ease your anxiety but I think this won't affect your application in the slightest)

• Haha