You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Northwestern (Feinberg)
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yeah you should’ve gotten an email with a link to itIs there a GroupMe for those accepted?
They are definitely willing to negotiate merit aid if you have other offers but not necessarily matchCan anyone speak to FSM's stance on merit aid? How common are merit scholarships / do they match / what is the usual award amount?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sillygoose69
Full Member
+1 waitlistMSTP WL. Last decision of the cycle
They roll out up to May (I emailed the FA department). But I have a feeling that May is for those who submit it late. I think last year Feb admitted students got their offer next week.For the sake of future cycle applicants, aid offers began rolling out today
Could you confirm if this was merit/need/both?For the sake of future cycle applicants, aid offers began rolling out today
Combination! The exact words were "Your selection for this combined scholarship and grant award is based on your outstanding record of achievement as well as a need‐analysis of the financial aid information you submitted."Could you confirm if this was merit/need/both?
wantabedoctor
Full Member
Hi, I am a current M1 (male) at Feinberg and looking for a roommate for next year, starting in June/July. I have a great 2 bedroom at Arrive (under 2 blocks from campus) on the 18th floor in Streeterville and would love to stay. DM me if interested.
Yup....I also submitted all my stuff earlier than the typical Feb admitted person since I already had a CEASAR account. Last year's thread showed people getting their aid like almost in May even 🤧🤧😭😭. I am hoping for something this Friday 😈😈 (no bases just intuition)Anyone else still waiting on their financial aid offer?
Wat, bruh lmao how are they expecting most of us to make an informed decision by April 30 let alone April 15 without any aid infoLast year's thread showed people getting their aid like almost in May even
Literally. But I am hoping they are faster. When I emailed a while ago they said mid March to early may tooWat, bruh lmao how are they expecting most of us to make an informed decision by April 30 let alone April 15 without any aid info
ochem wizard
New Member
Withdrew my A. Goodluck everyone!
When there was a lot of waitlist movement like 3 years ago, it was around May 5thDoes anyone know when we might hear back about any WL movement (if at all)?
Not much reporting from last year so can’t speak on that
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bubbles2095
New Member
The reports involved in this post are from a variety of students in M3 and M4 years who do not feel safe posting individually. There are good things about Feinberg, but this post is about the bad ones. Names have been removed, and this post is as factual as possible to avoid breaking any rules.
Tomorrow is a decision deadline. It's important you know this before you make any choices, if you're considering Northwestern/Feinberg SOM.
About the administration or Office of Medical Education (AWOME)
At Feinberg, students regularly face severe administrative incompetence, particularly with clinical rotation scheduling. Imagine being told on the very morning of a clinical rotation whether you need to be at the Chicago VA or the downtown campus- an hour apart. This isn't just a minor oversight; it's a serious logistical failure that directly impacts students' professional evaluations. Arriving late due to such last-minute notifications results in "professionalism forms" that negatively impact your MSPE, a crucial part of residency applications. This goes along with persistent administrative failures: The administration at Feinberg frequently loses essential documents, such as student emails, forms, and more, and fails to communicate vital information. Students are invariably blamed for these oversights, fostering an environment of mistrust and stress. This culture of mismanagement and misplaced accountability is not only frustrating but also detrimental to the educational experience.
Gatekeeping
Seeking support at Feinberg often leads to being questioned about your commitment to the medical profession rather than receiving actual assistance. This approach discourages students from seeking help, fostering an environment where issues are hidden rather than addressed. There is an employee who is in charge of wellness. This actually means that they are in charge of weeding out potential liabilities. For example, if a student underperforms on an exam (pass/fail, but you're judged for it regardless), the response from the administration can be disproportionately punitive. Students are quickly labeled and treated as a risk, conflicting starkly with Feinberg’s public assertion that it supports all students equally. The reality is a discriminatory practice where students who stumble are left to fend for themselves, often pushed towards family medicine or pediatrics regardless of their actual potential or aspirations. On top of all of this, Feinberg’s handling of mental health issues means that people who display signs of depression may be pushed to take leaves of absence. This policy appears to be more about protecting the institution's image than genuinely supporting students in distress. Feinberg will put people on leave, and by removing these students from active status, those who have committed suicide or needed hospitalization do not impact the school's reported statistics.
Racism/Bias
If you experience bias or racist comments, you might think about reporting it, but the dean who reviews the reports is in fact known for being racist as well, having made comments about how Asian students are a disappointment if they can't do mental math, or Indian students go into cardiology for the money, or how white students will do fine no matter how they perform.
For those considering Feinberg School of Medicine, please understand the issues that could significantly affect your education and well-being. While the academic and research opportunities at Feinberg are nice, the administrative barriers and lack of supportive infrastructure are bad news and will impact your medical training and future career. Buyer beware.
I'll answer questions if I can do so anonymously.
Tomorrow is a decision deadline. It's important you know this before you make any choices, if you're considering Northwestern/Feinberg SOM.
About the administration or Office of Medical Education (AWOME)
At Feinberg, students regularly face severe administrative incompetence, particularly with clinical rotation scheduling. Imagine being told on the very morning of a clinical rotation whether you need to be at the Chicago VA or the downtown campus- an hour apart. This isn't just a minor oversight; it's a serious logistical failure that directly impacts students' professional evaluations. Arriving late due to such last-minute notifications results in "professionalism forms" that negatively impact your MSPE, a crucial part of residency applications. This goes along with persistent administrative failures: The administration at Feinberg frequently loses essential documents, such as student emails, forms, and more, and fails to communicate vital information. Students are invariably blamed for these oversights, fostering an environment of mistrust and stress. This culture of mismanagement and misplaced accountability is not only frustrating but also detrimental to the educational experience.
Gatekeeping
Seeking support at Feinberg often leads to being questioned about your commitment to the medical profession rather than receiving actual assistance. This approach discourages students from seeking help, fostering an environment where issues are hidden rather than addressed. There is an employee who is in charge of wellness. This actually means that they are in charge of weeding out potential liabilities. For example, if a student underperforms on an exam (pass/fail, but you're judged for it regardless), the response from the administration can be disproportionately punitive. Students are quickly labeled and treated as a risk, conflicting starkly with Feinberg’s public assertion that it supports all students equally. The reality is a discriminatory practice where students who stumble are left to fend for themselves, often pushed towards family medicine or pediatrics regardless of their actual potential or aspirations. On top of all of this, Feinberg’s handling of mental health issues means that people who display signs of depression may be pushed to take leaves of absence. This policy appears to be more about protecting the institution's image than genuinely supporting students in distress. Feinberg will put people on leave, and by removing these students from active status, those who have committed suicide or needed hospitalization do not impact the school's reported statistics.
Racism/Bias
If you experience bias or racist comments, you might think about reporting it, but the dean who reviews the reports is in fact known for being racist as well, having made comments about how Asian students are a disappointment if they can't do mental math, or Indian students go into cardiology for the money, or how white students will do fine no matter how they perform.
For those considering Feinberg School of Medicine, please understand the issues that could significantly affect your education and well-being. While the academic and research opportunities at Feinberg are nice, the administrative barriers and lack of supportive infrastructure are bad news and will impact your medical training and future career. Buyer beware.
I'll answer questions if I can do so anonymously.
oatmilkplease
Full Member
oh boy
Why does this stuff NEVER appear when visiting with students, asking questions on SDN and reddit in the months leading up to decision day, and from recent alumni? these posts always drop within the week or so of April 30 lmfao this is exhausting
Bubbles2095
New Member
Valid question. Students who help with visits and second look are typically ones who toe the party line or want others to come here. There are no incentives to saying anything negative in person, and it can be actively harmful if the wrong person hears you, or if a potential student repeats what you say. Also, we often realize the deadline is coming up because the med school announces it, and we feel obligated to say something. I'm sorry this feels late. I'd prefer that you hear it now as opposed to after sending in a commitment letter.Why does this stuff NEVER appear when visiting with students, asking questions on SDN and reddit in the months leading up to decision day, and from recent alumni? these posts always drop within the week or so of April 30 lmfao this is exhausting
Last edited:
Feinberg just matched full tuition for me. I will withdraw tomorrow. For transparency, I started with 75% and they matched today. Good luck yall!
Why does this stuff NEVER appear when visiting with students, asking questions on SDN and reddit in the months leading up to decision day, and from recent alumni? these posts always drop within the week or so of April 30 lmfao this is exhausting
Also keep in mind this is one person's opinion. I personally only have good things to say about Feinberg but I also recognize not everyone has the same experience.
toffeenut17
Full Member
Just withdrew my A, hope it goes to one of y’all! 💞
Current student at Feinberg and I have not had the experience the poster said above. The school isn't perfect but I have had my share of struggles in med school and the Admin has been pretty supportive. I disclosed I have mental health issues and nobody pushed me to do an LOA.
I don't doubt that someone else may have different experiences (at any med school) and I am sorry to those who struggle.
I don't doubt that someone else may have different experiences (at any med school) and I am sorry to those who struggle.
Last edited:
spursy
Full Member
Down to 196 albeit there are a ton of M1s in the chat and I'm not sure how many (only a few labeled themselves as M1s). I'd say at least 20 of them are M1s.Can anyone provide some insight on what the GroupMe looks like right now? 🙂
dr fred jones
Full Member
How many did it start with?Down to 196 albeit there are a ton of M1s in the chat and I'm not sure how many (only a few labeled themselves as M1s). I'd say at least 20 of them are M1s.
How many did it start with?
280-300 I think. Around 35 M1s in the chat I think.
And im assuming some people may have not bothered to leave the GC?280-300 I think. Around 35 M1s in the chat I think.
And im assuming some people may have not bothered to leave the GC?
Maybe some. People have been leaving and one of the group chat admin kicked a bunch of people so not completely sure who’s left at this point
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Staying hopeful, keep us updated on the group chat numbers pleaseMaybe some. People have been leaving and one of the group chat admin kicked a bunch of people so not completely sure who’s left at this point
Any changes to group chat or updates? I know this school has next to no WL movement but it’s fun to hold out hope
SameEvery message in this chat spikes my BPM
Wondering this as well. WL movement here seems to happen within the first or second week of May based on previous threads, so I feel like it should've started by nowAny changes to group chat or updates? I know this school has next to no WL movement but it’s fun to hold out hope
Did you send an intent letterGot the A call off the waitlist a little earlier
Congrats! I’m incredibly jealous 🙂Got the A call off the waitlist a little earlier
Did you send an intent letter
Yeaa
Like 6 more people joined the group chat, probably from waitlist if I had to guess
Appreciate the updates! Have there also been people leaving the group chat since May 1?Like 6 more people joined the group chat, probably from waitlist if I had to guess
Appreciate the updates! Have there also been people leaving the group chat since May 1?
Some but most left April 30th
timessquare
New Member
Do we think there will be another wave of acceptances off the WL?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hopeDo we think there will be another wave of acceptances off the WL?
Thanks for asking the office! Hope we all get off eventually 🙂Here's an update for those on the WL - the admissions office told me they haven't noticed any delays with waitlist movement at Feinberg and they are still expecting more movement to occur before classes begin in late July
138 students added to the Canva page my guess is they’re all CTE?
Do you have an idea of what the class size is supposed to be for this year? I know it's decreased from 150 to 145 in the past two years or so138 students added to the Canva page my guess is they’re all CTE?