2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you placed in the "continue to review" category before getting the invite? What dates were you given to choose from?

No. But for over 4 weeks the status just said my file was complete and in review. I never got a "continue to review" notification.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's past the 8 week mark since my interview day, and still no word from Penn State. This is starting to concern me...

It's past the 8 week mark since my interview day, and still no word from Penn State. This is starting to concern me...
It took them a little over 9 weeks for them to give me good news. Don't fret.

I suggest giving the office a call and letting them know it's been over 8 weeks without hearing anything and if they have any updates/insight/advice.

Omggggg please can I have an interview!! I don't want to end up in puerto ricooo!

They told me it could even be 10 weeks when I interviewed. You could give them a call if you really want but I wouldn't worry yet.

I'm praying that since i interviewed so late (March 7th), that it wont take the full 6-8 weeks to hear back. I have an interview in puerto rico scheduled march 29th and i would lovee to be able to save the travel money if i get into PSU!

I'm praying that since i interviewed so late (March 7th), that it wont take the full 6-8 weeks to hear back. I have an interview in puerto rico scheduled march 29th and i would lovee to be able to save the travel money if i get into PSU!

Just thought I'd mention that I interviewed mid Feb and haven't heard back yet so I wouldn't count on hearing back before your next interview. You can always hope, but if I were you I'd plan on having to go. Better to have it be a nice surprise if you hear back earlier than a big disappointment if you don't.

I interviewed just under a month before you and haven't heard anything yet. The last acceptances came from January interviews, so I doubt they'll get to March interviews in the next 10 days :(

At my (January) interview, I was told that if I didn't hear anything by the end of the 8th week, I could go ahead and call. The staff is super friendly anyway :). My wait time between interview and acceptance was just over 7 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone get an email indicating a background check before they receive a snail mail acceptance?

I read in a previous year's forum that if you get the background check you should expect the snail mail soon. However, I didn't receive a background check before my letter. Hopefully that is means good news is coming.

Does anyone have access to Penn State's 2012 Match list? I haven't been able to locate it.
Thanks!

Interviewed early feb, received on-hold letter today. Sigh med school looks grim for 2012.... Anyone know how the waitlist movement is?

Hopeful456 - I think PSU interviews until the end of this month. At least that's what the site states ... http://med.psu.edu/web/md/admissions/overview/interviews

Haloschief (and anyone else on hold) - No idea how quickly the wait list moves but deposits are due May 15th and I'm sure that some accepted students who have heard back from other schools will not pay that deposit, forfeiting their spot, and allowing some students to slide off the wait list!! Have hope guys and best of luck!!!

Interviewed early feb, received on-hold letter today. Sigh med school looks grim for 2012.... Anyone know how the waitlist movement is?

What date? I interviewed Feb 13th and I'm still waiting to hear back

What date? I interviewed Feb 13th and I'm still waiting to hear back

Same date, I wonder if theres an order to how they review applicants. Maybe this is a good sign for you if you haven't heard about a waitlist :). I'm OOS.

Same date, I wonder if theres an order to how they review applicants. Maybe this is a good sign for you if you haven't heard about a waitlist :). I'm OOS.

Thanks! I'm also curious if there's an order... maybe my letter just hasn't made it to me yet- I'm OOS as well. Hope you make it off the waitlist! :xf:

MSI at Penn State here - feel free to ask any burning questions you may have. PM me or post on here.

MSI at Penn State here - feel free to ask any burning questions you may have. PM me or post on here.

Well since you offered..:) Just wondering if you could comment on the level of competitiveness between students in the class. Also, are classes curved so that a certain number of students get honors, a certain number of students fail, etc.? Thanks!

Well since you offered..:) Just wondering if you could comment on the level of competitiveness between students in the class. Also, are classes curved so that a certain number of students get honors, a certain number of students fail, etc.? Thanks!

When I interviewed, the students said that some classes are curved so that maybe the top X% get honors whereas other classes are not (e.g. everyone can technically get honors as long as they all score high enough). But it sounded like it really isn't too competitive and they help each other out for the most part. I hope this is true!

As with most schools, unfortunately, some students have found it necessary to treat classes and grades like its a competition - we refer to these people as "gunners". There are very few of them here though, and you'll be surprised how a majority of your class is normal and more like you than you would expect. Then again, we are all medical students, we all have at least a little "type-A" in us.

It is VERY possible to study enough to do very well and still have time to do all the things you enjoy - even grabbing a few drinks on the weekend. The key for your first two years isn't to get the best grade - study for your own knowledge and the for the benefit of your career. Also try to avoid the "gunners" because all they talk about 24/7 is class related things - it will frustrate you and stress you out being around these machines.

The course directors will set the percentile at the beginning of the course for H/HP/P/F - its usually Top 10% Honors, Next 15% High Pass and the rest Pass and Fail. Don't worry too much about grades though - I can't stress that enough. You've made it to medical school - now just learn the science and medicine for you and your patients.

When I interviewed, the students said that some classes are curved so that maybe the top X% get honors whereas other classes are not (e.g. everyone can technically get honors as long as they all score high enough). But it sounded like it really isn't too competitive and they help each other out for the most part. I hope this is true!

Yes I would say about 90-95% of the class genuinely enjoy each others company and are more than willing to help out a fellow student. We really lucked out with the quality of people here.

I'm starting to vaguely remember this now :)

As with most schools, unfortunately, some students have found it necessary to treat classes and grades like its a competition - we refer to these people as "gunners". There are very few of them here though, and you'll be surprised how a majority of your class is normal and more like you than you would expect. Then again, we are all medical students, we all have at least a little "type-A" in us.

It is VERY possible to study enough to do very well and still have time to do all the things you enjoy - even grabbing a few drinks on the weekend. The key for your first two years isn't to get the best grade - study for your own knowledge and the for the benefit of your career. Also try to avoid the "gunners" because all they talk about 24/7 is class related things - it will frustrate you and stress you out being around these machines.

The course directors will set the percentile at the beginning of the course for H/HP/P/F - its usually Top 10% Honors, Next 15% High Pass and the rest Pass and Fail. Don't worry too much about grades though - I can't stress that enough. You've made it to medical school - now just learn the science and medicine for you and your patients.

:thumbup: Thanks so much for this - I really appreciate it. Good to know I can have a life while in school up there. One more question, isn't there also a "low pass" included in the grading scale?

No - classes are either A) Pass/Fail or B) Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail

I interviewed late Feb...can't wait to hit the 6 week mark soon! :love: :scared:

I already hit the 6 week mark on Monday (interviewed 2/13) and still no news yet... hoping to hear soon!

I already hit the 6 week mark on Monday (interviewed 2/13) and still no news yet... hoping to hear soon!

Oh, crap. Totally forgot that I hit the 6 week mark. I'd better check with my parents to see if they received any mail.

Is it typically a big envelope if accepted and a small one if not?

Oh, crap. Totally forgot that I hit the 6 week mark. I'd better check with my parents to see if they received any mail.

Is it typically a big envelope if accepted and a small one if not?

It's a big envelope. Good luck tentacles!

It's a big envelope. Good luck tentacles!

octopus-1.jpg

Good luck tentacles to everyone else in the thread too.

interview season has concluded (except for those interviewing till this Friday); those who have not received invites are assumed to be rejected.

@shivakamini: Do you have any advice for entering MS-1's in terms of how we should spend our summers? One person I asked said to relax and have fun, but what if we're non-traditional students who haven't been in study-mode for a while...? As of now, I'm planning on having as much fun as I possibly can, but a part of me feels like I should be prepping a bit...

Any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted today :) interviewed early Feb, OOS

Status
Not open for further replies.