2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

How did you hear about Rosalind Franklin University?

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i've heard bad things about this school too (the buildings are old, the curriculum doesn't produce good med students). i was very suprised to hear it b/c i like the school and looked at it in a good light. can anyone comment and refute with some good stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard bad things about this school too (the buildings are old, the curriculum doesn't produce good med students). i was very suprised to hear it b/c i like the school and looked at it in a good light. can anyone comment and refute with some good stuff?

The basic science building where M1's take a majority of the classes is quite old but it's not anything awful. The curriculum recently switched to a more systems-based approach beginning in the 2009-2010 year with exams every 2 weeks or so. CMS grads generally match well, and anecdotally, my dad worked with a lot of CMS physicians during his residency (his chief was a CMS alum, actually) and was rather impressed by how prepared they were.

I'm headed there this fall and I really liked the atmosphere. The students are laid back and willing to help each other succeed and the professors are very open to suggestion in improving the courses. A major + for me.

Just returned from my daughter's graduation at CMS.
I am faculty at a major North American Medical School (ranked #12 in the world for all those hung up on numbers).

1. The CMS students are well prepared didactically with a good dose of clinical vignettes thrown in to the pre-clinical courses .

2. The strong residency placements of the CMS class 2011 into competitive specialties attests to the clinical performance of the CMS students (many of the reference letters for residency come from away rotations). You can infer from this that the CMS students are competitive in their clinical rotations taken at
other medical schools.

3. I understand the USMLE scores of this graduating class were stellar.

4. The students I met are "chill" and cohesive as a group. Definitely a place for those wanting a "healthy" medical school experience.

what GPA cum and sci and MCAT score is usually sufficient to get an interview at CMS?

Did anyone get a secondary already? Please post and best of luck:)

Last edited:
Does anyone here know the cGPA, sGPA and MCAT scores of last year's matriculates?

Does anyone here know the cGPA, sGPA and MCAT scores of last year's matriculates?

MCAT range: 10-90th percentile: 27-35
GPA range: 10-90th percentile: 3.38-3.96 (Median: 3.75)
sGPA range: 10-90th percentile: 3.25-3.97 (Median: 3.75)

My neighbor is a M3 at this school and while he openly admitted the pros and cons, I like the school and it's on my dream list for many reasons....

Miracles happen, and only optimist creed will help me persevere, best of luck to all.

The Optimist Creed

Promise Yourself ...
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

Last edited:
MCAT range: 10-90th percentile: 27-35
GPA range: 10-90th percentile: 3.38-3.96 (Median: 3.75)
sGPA range: 10-90th percentile: 3.25-3.97 (Median: 3.75)

so what do you think are the chances of someone with gpa's at the 10th percentile of the sgpa and gpa ranges?

My neighbor is a M3 at this school and while he openly admitted the pros and cons, I like the school and it's on my dream list for many reasons....

Miracles happen, and only optimist creed will help me persevere, best of luck to all.

The Optimist Creed

Promise Yourself ...
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

Thanks for that! got to work on all these, but especially numbers 6, 8, and 10 :D

so what do you think are the chances of someone with gpa's at the 10th percentile of the sgpa and gpa ranges?

I think the entire application depends on itself as a whole, not one particular number. I have a friend, ruining his 1st year in college and then getting 4.0s every quarter from there and ending up in a very good school. I think instead of just GPA as number, they strongly consider the gpa trend. If you have great MCAT score and great ECs I dont see you not getting in this college.
Good luck to us! Lets wait for this secondary now!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the minimum MCAT they screen for secondaries/interview is 26?

anyone confirm that?

Anyone have the hard numbers (MSAR) handy and mind posting total number of applicants vs. interviews vs. acceptances.

I mostly want to know in-state vs OOS. Thanks.

From MSAR

IS applications: 1173
OOS applications: 8596
International: 642
Total: 10411

Interview invite
IS: 240
OOS: 379
International: 37

Accepted
IS: 78
OOS: 101
International: 11

Hope this helps!

We should be expecting a secondary soon based on last year's thread! Get excited! :D

someone please post when they get it as mine isn't even verified...:/

someone please post when they get it as mine isn't even verified...:/

Just got the e-mail a couple hours ago. I will try and post the questions once I create an account and pay the $105.

Here they are....drumroll....same as last year!

Short Essays
Please use the space provided below.

At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.**

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.**

How did you hear about Rosalind Franklin University?**

i just paid for the secondary! my username is 'applicant12' ha! i wonder if this means i was the 12th applicant to pay for it?

i just paid for the secondary! my username is 'applicant12' ha! i wonder if this means i was the 12th applicant to pay for it?

Mine was the same. I think it just allows you to access the secondary form and it isn't unique per person.

Here they are....drumroll....same as last year!

Short Essays
Please use the space provided below.

At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.**

Future physicians, research scientists, and other healthcare professionals are expected to work in an inter-professional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.**

How did you hear about Rosalind Franklin University?**

Thanks! How many words or characters per essay? :thumbup:

Is there a character limit for the essays? Or is it unlimited?

Thanks!

Can the last essay just be a line? I mean I just heard about this school from a friend.

No word or character counts are given, and I've been wondering what exactly is meant by "briefly." C'mon, people, just tell us what you want! 100 words? 200? 400?

Out of curiosity, I tried copying/pasting words into each of the answer text boxes to see if they had built-in word limits. I got to 138,853 words before I gave up. Those boxes are relentless! I think I will cite this experiment as an example of a Life of Discovery.

Regarding the username, yeah, I think we're Applicant12 because we're all applicants in '12. Just a completely wild guess, though. -_-

Regarding the last question, it would be terrible if one line wasn't enough. I plan on typing four capital letters for that one.

Last edited:
I'm guessing essay length would be somewhere around 2 pages double spaced? I can't imagine them wanting to read anything past that, just a complete guess here.

also got the email...

anyone else struggle with these prompts? i think the first one was one of the more challenging i've tackled this season!

anyone else struggle with these prompts? i think the first one was one of the more challenging i've tackled this season!

Agreed, I'm going to have to sleep on this one. You can go anywhere with it.

Is the number next to applicant indicative of which order applicant you are? I find it hilarious if I'm in the first 20 applicants, lol.

Is the number next to applicant indicative of which order applicant you are? I find it hilarious if I'm in the first 20 applicants, lol.

We're all applicant12.

Yea, I definitely agree. I think I have it *kind of* figured out now though.

hey I think I'm the 12th applicant because my username is applicant 12.

:laugh: jk

The life in discovery is part of the mission statement. Research the school on their website and see how your experiences resonate with the mission statement and what they're looking for.

It says "briefly describe"; can anyone comment on the length requirement? I'm trying to keep it under a single-spaced page. The other essays I think will be of shorter length, particularly the last.

Verifiefd 6/29
Secondary Invite 6/30
Will have a busy long weekend!

Submitted secondary yesterday. Just got email confirmation that I am complete. I am ready to go swimming in the small pool.

Submitted and waiting to be marked complete! Really excited! :D

Complete! I wonder when they start reviewing. Hopefully soon!

Soooooo please don't attack me for this display of ignorance, but...what does it mean to be "small-pooled"?

hey Steve, if you dont mind sharing how many words or lines you had for each essay? Thanks

I have no idea...maybe like 250 words or so? I tried to keep it at least a little bit brief.

Alright thanks man! I will try to prepare these essays so that as soon as my app is verified, i can submit! Gracias sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.