2011-2012 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard back unofficially via e-mail, and letter is in the mail. I got a sizeable grant! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

When did you get all your information in? I think my information wasn't received until mid-March and my status says my file has been reviewed and award is being processed.

When did you get all your information in? I think my information wasn't received until mid-March and my status says my file has been reviewed and award is being processed.
I played it by the book - submitted prelim FAFSA Jan 1, filed my taxes four weeks later on the same day my W2s arrived. IRS accepted my returns on Feb 15, and I immediately amended the FAFSA. Corrected FAFSA processed Feb 16. I sent my IVF in mid-January after they received my prelim FAFSA. Then I emailed CCOM after my other awards at other schools became available, and learned of the grant early last week via e-mail. Letter should arrive this week to make it official. I was on top of it the whole way!

Members don't see this ad :)
I played it by the book - submitted prelim FAFSA Jan 1, filed my taxes four weeks later on the same day my W2s arrived. IRS accepted my returns on Feb 15, and I immediately amended the FAFSA. Corrected FAFSA processed Feb 16. I sent my IVF in mid-January after they received my prelim FAFSA. Then I emailed CCOM after my other awards at other schools became available, and learned of the grant early last week via e-mail. Letter should arrive this week to make it official. I was on top of it the whole way!

That's good, I wish I could have gotten everything done that early. I had a little delay in getting my W2 so I had to file my taxes a little later than I wanted to. Hopefully that didn't prevent me from receiving a decent amount of grants/scholarships.

I heard back unofficially via e-mail, and letter is in the mail. I got a sizeable grant! Good luck!

Reslpsa, how long did it take for them to process your award after you submitted your application (even better if you know how long it took to process after they reviewed you). Mine says I will find out 3+ weeks after April 5. I have to tell my other school yes or no May 1! Stress!

Anyone checked on wait list movement lately? I'm thinking of calling back today and checking if there's been any movement since last Tuesday.

Lefty, you should call Iowa and explain your deadline. They might be able to speed things up. Or if they can't, you can call the other school and see if they can extend to the May 15th deadline so that you can hear from Iowa?

That's a good suggestion. I am supposed to hear from the other school next week, so I will see what happens there. The other school is Case, which is the #5 most expensive med school in the nation, so if they don't give me anything I will not be going there and will default to Iowa regardless. Iowa was the most beautiful med school I visited and everyone seemed so cool and happy, I think I would have a great four years there anyway.

Reslpsa, how long did it take for them to process your award after you submitted your application (even better if you know how long it took to process after they reviewed you). Mine says I will find out 3+ weeks after April 5. I have to tell my other school yes or no May 1! Stress!
I really did not track how long it took because I submitted my IVF in Mid-Jan and I know they do not do anything with it until the final FAFSA is received. My final FAFSA was received Feb 16. I emailed them on March 12 and got the unofficial award around March 20. Still no letter in the mail though. Hope that helps!

For all of us OOS gals/guys fortunate enough to have a CCOM acceptance, I'd like to know two things as May 15 approaches:

i) What other SINGLE contender did you skip over/will you be skipping over to come to CCOM?
ii) (Disregarding cost) What were the top 3 reasons you chose/will be choosing CCOM?

I know close to 80% of the class is IS, so I hope for more OOS respondents who will be more reflective of my situation? Current CCOM OOS students are also welcome to chime in!

Thanks in advance!

Anyone checked on wait list movement lately? I'm thinking of calling back today and checking if there's been any movement since last Tuesday.

I'm trying to hold off as long as possible. But if you call,would you be so kind as to inquire about the in state list too?:D

RL: I'm IS obv. But it's a good school, solid town with a night scene, and cost of living is pretty low. (is that tied to the price tag?) For a better third point i'd go with the attitude of the students, they seem to genuinely like it here.

Last edited:
I'm OOS. Iowa was something added at the last minute to my AMCAS (at my dad's suggestion). If I go, I will be choosing it over Case Western Reserve, because Iowa will be a lot ($100k) cheaper for me than Case. Otherwise, I would have gone to Case, I had a blast there, the curriculum seems much more me, the students were really cool, there seemed to be a lot of nontrads (I am a nontrad) just not worth the money. But Iowa is my second choice because the students were also really cool, beautiful building, good reputation, everyone seems super supportive, good financial aid. Iowa is also the closest I've lived to my family in 11 years, and the jury is still out on whether that's a plus or a minus!

But I think when it comes down to it, there is a "feeling" involved. I was super excited and happy to be at my Iowa interview even though I only slept 4 hours the night before. My enthusiasm waned with certain other schools. I got into Case 1 month before I got into Iowa and I turned down acceptances I got after Case; but I liked Iowa enough where I was kind of like "I'll sit on this one for a while" and now it looks like I'm going there!

I called today and got an answer for a few of our questions:
1. They start accepting people off the waitlist as soon as it has been issued.
2. 6 offers have been sent out for the IS alternate list.
3. It's about average pace this year (surprise!)
4. Last year they sent out 2 acceptances in march, 8 in April and a bunch in May/June
Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today and got an answer for a few of our questions:
1. They start accepting people off the waitlist as soon as it has been issued.
2. 6 offers have been sent out for the IS alternate list.
3. It's about average pace this year (surprise!)
4. Last year they sent out 2 acceptances in march, 8 in April and a bunch in May/June
Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for getting and sharing this information. How many spots have you moved? I know you said 6 offers have been sent out so far but I would assume a few people also dropped off the wait list as well.

Just called. Moved up 4 spots on the OOS waitlist (58 to 54).

The worker I spoke with told me that they over accepted the OOS applicants by 60. After they exhaust these 60 over acceptances they will use the waitlist. She mentioned that as of now, they have only moved through 11 of the 60 over acceptances.

Just called. Moved up 4 spots on the OOS waitlist (58 to 54).

The worker I spoke with told me that they over accepted the OOS applicants by 60. After they exhaust these 60 over acceptances they will use the waitlist. She mentioned that as of now, they have only moved through 11 of the 60 over acceptances.

Thanks for the update! I was hoping for more movement before May, but I guess we're just gonna have to sit tight.

Can any current student/ someone with knowledge comment on:

1. Away rotations in m3 or m4 years (can you do rotations in different locations/ are there any common places/locations)
2. the cheapest place to live in iowa city. im OOS financing this puppy on my own.

Thanks so much for getting and sharing this information. How many spots have you moved? I know you said 6 offers have been sent out so far but I would assume a few people also dropped off the wait list as well.
I've moved 6 spots thus far.

As for #2 I'd recommend looking out on the west side of the river. It's quieter and the bus routes all run by the hospital. If you can find roommates there are some places that can go for ~300 per person. The east side tends to be more undergrads.

My financial aid award was just posted to ISIS and my file was complete March 15. Decent amount offered in grants so can't complain.

My financial aid award was just posted to ISIS and my file was complete March 15. Decent amount offered in grants so can't complain.

My financial aid was just posted as well (Reviewed 3/23). I'm afraid Iowa was not so kind to me. Those loan numbers look so much bigger when your name is at the top of the page!

As much as I love Iowa, looks like I'm leaning way in favor of my own state school now. Hopefully the financial aid game turns out well for the rest of you!

Can any Carver Student tell me the chances of recieving a grant each subsequent year if you recieve one for year one?

Can anyone comment on how long it took from when you submitted your FAFSA until you received the OSFA forms? Is the IVF snail-mailed to you? Or do you have to print it out from somewhere online?

To answer some questions:
1) It is common to keep the grant all 4 years as long as your grades are maintained. I got a grant my first year here (I'm M1) at carver and will keep it all 4 years unless my grades are poor. It would depend on the type of grant you have, but you might lose it if it is for financial reasons and you end up getting a lot of money somehow. Mine was not for financial reasons. However, for details on your specific grant I would call financial aid to make sure.
2) 3rd years have the option of doing their rotations in Des Moines. 4th years can do away rotations pretty much wherever they get accepted. I know Carver has some connections with certain hospitals as well but I don't know many details on that.
3) Housing is going to be cheaper the farther away you get from the university. Coralville is a pretty common choice for students, and they take the bus. There are also some cheaper areas off Mormon Trek rd. Both these areas are pretty nice. The downtown area (east side) has a lot of housing, but it is an older area so places usually aren't as nice. It depends on how you want to live (alone, roommates, etc.) but there are 3 BRs near campus (walking distance) for about $1000.

Let me know if there are any other questions. If you are coming out this weekend for Get Acquainted Day, see you then. And good luck to those waiting. I was 71 OOS and got in early July, so have patience!

Can anyone comment on how long it took from when you submitted your FAFSA until you received the OSFA forms? Is the IVF snail-mailed to you? Or do you have to print it out from somewhere online?
Under ISIS -> Student records -> Verification form -> 2012-2013 form

Ok, my file was completed and set for review March 23rd. My award notification was just posted to ISIS. Is the award notification supposed to let you know if you are receiving grants or scholarships? I am just seeing how much I can take out in Perkins, Stafford, and PLUS loans.

Ok, my file was completed and set for review March 23rd. My award notification was just posted to ISIS. Is the award notification supposed to let you know if you are receiving grants or scholarships? I am just seeing how much I can take out in Perkins, Stafford, and PLUS loans.

I think that's the whole package. I'll only saw the break down of loans as well. Someone else mentioned that they had received grants in their award though.

Can anyone tell me if there is a Facebook group for the incoming class of 2016? If so... what is the name of it. Haven't been able to find one.

I know one exists and I thought there was a link buried somewhere in this thread. I don't have it on hand though

Okay, so I just got accepted to the University of Miami after previously having my mind set on attending the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine. Carver is ranked way higher than Miami in both research and primary medicine (see US News). I suspect there is a reason for it but it was not obvious to me during the interviews. Can anyone chime in on what the pros and cons are for attending/not attending the two schools? One respected dermatologist I met thought I should pick Carver - but his disclaimer was that he went to Carver, and knew nothing of U of Miami. Please limit your responses to the quality of the program, curriculum, Step 1, etc (I already know Miami/South Beach makes Iowa City look like Newt Gingrich's 'moon colony'...:laugh:)...Anyway...HELP!

Okay, so I just got accepted to the University of Miami after previously having my mind set on attending the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine. Carver is ranked way higher than Miami in both research and primary medicine (see US News). I suspect there is a reason for it but it was not obvious to me during the interviews. Can anyone chime in on what the pros and cons are for attending/not attending the two schools? One respected dermatologist I met thought I should pick Carver - but his disclaimer was that he went to Carver, and knew nothing of U of Miami. Please limit your responses to the quality of the program, curriculum, Step 1, etc (I already know Miami/South Beach makes Iowa City look like Newt Gingrich's 'moon colony'...:laugh:)...Anyway...HELP!

I think you should prob make your own thread for this, it'll be easier for everyone.

Just got an email saying I moved up 4 spots on the OOS waitlist. Still in the 70's :(

Hey future M1's,

Current M1 here. Congrats on getting in and gl to those on the waiting list! If any of you need summer housing we're subletting our place for June and July (can start in May as well if need be). This would be awesome for IMEI and summer research. We're a pretty close walk to the hospital and med school. Rent's $466 + utilities and you get your own bedroom and parking in a fully furnished house! Here's the craigslist posting.

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/sub/2964152809.html

Thanks!

I just gave up my out-of-state admission spot. Congratulations to the next person on the OOS wait-list!

Hi everyone,
My friends and I are trying to plan a 30th birthday trip (yes, 30--otherwise known as the perfect age to start med school!!) but I can't find my 2012-2013 school calendar. The University of Iowa master calendar says "ask College of Medicine" when it comes to vacations. Does anyone know where the calendar for us for next year is?

Nevermind I found it!! The link I had been clicking on wasn't working but I found the same link on a different page. M1s and M2s get the whole week off!

For those on the OOS waitlist, here's some love back to you...I'm reluctantly giving up my spot at Carver! Best wishes to all of us...may Hippokrates of Kos smile down favorably on all of you!!

I'm not expecting much additional movement until the May 15th deadline, feel free to call and ask then update us though!

Can any current students comment on when/how we can expect to learn more about the specifics of our curriculum scheduling for the fall semester?

Withdrew. Trickle down economics is in effect and I wish everyone on the waitlist good luck!

Can any current students comment on when/how we can expect to learn more about the specifics of our curriculum scheduling for the fall semester?

I'd also like to know when we are going to need to buy books/equipment. Any books that were especially helpful?

I'd also like to know when we are going to need to buy books/equipment. Any books that were especially helpful?

From what I was told by the med students during my interview, most students tend not to buy the books and instead just borrow them from a room in the student services suite that houses all of the textbooks. Can any current med student comment on what I was told? Is this really what students tend to do or was it just what the one med student giving my tour does?

From what I was told by the med students during my interview, most students tend not to buy the books and instead just borrow them from a room in the student services suite that houses all of the textbooks. Can any current med student comment on what I was told? Is this really what students tend to do or was it just what the one med student giving my tour does?

Mermaid- I can't remember when the scheduling is completed but I think they send it out to you before school starts. But you are basically going to have classes in the morning every day, and some in the afternoon. Then if you are dissecting that week you will have lab monday and tuesday afternoon, and then a 2 hour teaching session on wednesday or thursday. If you aren't dissecting you will have a learning lab session on wednesday or thursday. You also have CBL on of the mornings for 2 hours. Not sure if you are looking for more details than that.

Blot and Medstudent- Very few of us buy books. You can borrow some from MERF (though they tend to be the edition before the current edition). There is also a survey that the M1s will fill out letting you know what books they found useful. The only ones that I found useful the first semester were: Anatomy atlas, anatomy dissector, and genetics.
As for other supplies like a lab coat, scalpels, gloves, etc., those can all be bought in the store near the anatomy lab.

I'm not expecting much additional movement until the May 15th deadline, feel free to call and ask then update us though!

Hey, aren't there any updates for IS and OOS lists? I heard there are a lot of movements the last couple of weeks. Let us know if you got in. Thanks!

Hey, aren't there any updates for IS and OOS lists? I heard there are a lot of movements the last couple of weeks. Let us know if you got in. Thanks!

I moved up 8 spots on the IS wait list between the last email and the email I received this Thursday. From what I could gather, last year during that time period it moved only 4 spots so that is good news. If anyone calls this week to get an update please let us know. It is really nerve racking the next few weeks so any information we can get is greatly appreciated. I am planning on calling either this Friday or next Monday and I will provide an update when I do. Good luck to everyone!

Withdrawing my acceptance, OOS. Hoping my spot and Dean's Scholarship (10K per year) are headed toward one of you guys on the waitlist. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.