2011-2012 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from the students that next year's M1s will receive percentage grades instead of letter grades. I also heard there were changes incoming to the block system to make everything more integrated to better prepare students for the boards. Most of the changes to the curriculum will not affect the 2012 cycle students.

Just to clarify, do you mean class percentiles when you say percentages or just straight up individual percentages?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify, do you mean class percentiles when you say percentages or just straight up individual percentages?

We receive straight up percentages (ie 86% in class A, 91% in class B, etc), upon which your class rank is based.

I was wondering, is UK offering the services of student hosts for interviewees like they did in previous years? If so, how do you find out/contact a host?

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY EVERYBODY INTERVIEWING THIS SATURDAY!!!! (9/17)

There is HUGE football game AT UK this Saturday. It's an enormous in-state rivalry game, and even though it's a night game, count on there being very slim-pickings for parking even at 9:30AM! (There might be parking reserved for Med School people or something, but you might not want to depend on that being the case.) Lexington/UK will be extra busy so just be prepared!

I'm going to have someone drop me off and pick me up so I don't have to worry about traffic/parking. If you want to leave your car somewhere, like your hotel or a mall or something, let me know and I'll see if my ride will pick you up too!

HEY EVERYBODY INTERVIEWING THIS SATURDAY!!!! (9/17)

There is HUGE football game AT UK this Saturday. It's an enormous in-state rivalry game, and even though it's a night game, count on there being very slim-pickings for parking even at 9:30AM! (There might be parking reserved for Med School people or something, but you might not want to depend on that being the case.) Lexington/UK will be extra busy so just be prepared!

I'm going to have someone drop me off and pick me up so I don't have to worry about traffic/parking. If you want to leave your car somewhere, like your hotel or a mall or something, let me know and I'll see if my ride will pick you up too!

Wow, I totally forgot about this. Thanks for reminding me.

i just had my interview today and all i have to say is DONT BE NERVOUS! the interview was sooooooooo laid back and amazing and phenomenal and fantastic and i dont even have words to explain how amazing it was.

the interview day and especially one of my interviewers overall made me fall so in love with the school, that if i get in its def my #1 choice.

just be yourself and get there on time. they're not there to trick you or traumatize you, my interview was possibly the most fulfilling conversation i've ever had.

I DONT HAVE ENOUGH GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT UK. LITERALLY LOVED IT.

Last edited:
You must really like talking about yourself. :p

hahahahaha i mean gotta do what you gotta do. no but my interviewer was just really engaging and didnt make it an interview.. it was more of a convo so it was both of us talking :)

Did anybody get this email?

"The Admissions Committee of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine recently reviewed your application for admission. After careful consideration, the Committee has decided to defer a final decision on your application pending further comparison with other out of state applicants."

Doesn't sound good to me :(

"The Admissions Committee of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine recently reviewed your application for admission. After careful consideration, the Committee has decided to defer a final decision on your application pending further comparison with other out of state applicants."

I applied here 00S as well, but have not recieved that message. what are your stats? pm me.

I interviewed today too. Everything BlackandGold said is absolutely true. I was leaning towards UofL having interviewed there last week, but after the tour and talking with the second year students I really want to go to UK.

I DONT HAVE ENOUGH GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT UK. LITERALLY LOVED IT.[/QUOTE]

Were you the one from Florida? I sat like two seats away from you with the blue tie. Wasn't it great?

Was it really THAT great?

What was the day's schedule? What were the interviews like?

9:30 they started a fairly brief overview of the medical school, talked about research, lexington in general etc
As soon as that was over all of the interviewers were brought into the room, all the interviewees introduced themselves and then the interviewers did the same.

10-ish? Began interviews. This was one thing I was really impressed with: both of my interviewers had thoroughly read my application and seemed to be genuinely impressed with some of the things I've accomplished instead of acting like I needed to impress them further. Both of my interviews lasted about 40 mins.

11:30-ish lunch was waiting when I returned from my second interview and so were some second year med students, ready to answer questions.

12-ish we started the tour, a lot of the facilities were very new and impressive and they took us all over the place. Like I said, hearing the second year students talk really made the school that much more appealing

Like everyone else has said, the interviews were very comfortable, very relaxed, and it seemed like the interviewer did as much talking as I did.

Members don't see this ad :)

I got this message last application cycle. If you are still in school, you can fax them more recommendation letters, extra shadowing experiences, etc. That's what I did and I got accepted. Hope this helps :)

I got this message last application cycle. If you are still in school, you can fax them more recommendation letters, extra shadowing experiences, etc. That's what I did and I got accepted. Hope this helps :)

Thanks dakangel! I should probably go do some more stuff then haha. When did you get that mail last year and when did u get the interview? so more letters can be faxed and not go through AMCAS?? thanks!

Thanks dakangel! I should probably go do some more stuff then haha. When did you get that mail last year and when did u get the interview? so more letters can be faxed and not go through AMCAS?? thanks!

I got it about a week or two after my interview on October 8th. Faxed in my stuff during the first week in December (because I had to get more shadowing experience) and got my acceptance call right before school was out for Christmas (December 12ish)

DEFINITELY a good interview experience. They are so organized and are just a showcase of what southern hospitality is all about.

October 15th can't come fast enough!!!

Status changed to "Screening Hold". Does this mean I'm on a waitlist? (I am applying to MD-PhD program here)

Not till Jan 10!!. I think that puts me at a little disadvantage, but I am grateful for the opportunity.
This is what the school wrote, I don't know what to take from it. Either way an interview is an interview.
"Our class is typically full by late December. Applicants who interview after the class fills will be considered for the alternate list. For fullest consideration, we recommend that applications be completed well before published deadline dates."

This is what the school wrote, I don't know what to take from it. Either way an interview is an interview.
"Our class is typically full by late December. Applicants who interview after the class fills will be considered for the alternate list. For fullest consideration, we recommend that applications be completed well before published deadline dates."

Yeah I still feel pretty good about my chances. It saws on US NEWS if you get an interview you have a 50% chance of getting accepted. I know those stats do not take time into consideration though.

I was wondering, are there any med school students on here who would be willing to host me for my interview on November 8th? I kind of really need a place to crash for my interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post interview thoughts:

Got there about 15 minutes early. In the initial meet and greet everyone seemed very friendly and the conference room was very nice. Overall it was a fantastic looking campus. My first interview was pretty strange to say the least. My interviewer half the time would say that I was going to get accepted and shouldn't have any problems and the other half of the time told me options of if I didn't get accepted such as EDP and the rural program. Second interview went smoothly with a few odd questions (built in to throw you off). One ethics type question. Other than that the rest of the campus looked beautiful and the facilites were very nice overall a great experience.

Last edited:
just to give a balanced perspective, neither of my interviews were strange in any way. I definitely got a positive impression from my interviewers and the current students.

Nothing strange during my interview day either. Everything was well organized. Students and interviewers were extremely nice too.

I signed on just to see if maybe, by accident, they would post committee decisions before they actually emailed them (a girl can dream, eh?)

What it says:

Check Status
Current Application Status: Admissions Committee Review Completed

yikes. *bites nails* why can't they just tell us now!!

I was wondering, are there any med school students on here who would be willing to host me for my interview on November 8th? I kind of really need a place to crash for my interview.

i'm interviewing near the end of october and they just sent me a "student host" email list, so i'm guessing as your date gets alittle closer they will send you one as well!

i'm interviewing near the end of october and they just sent me a "student host" email list, so i'm guessing as your date gets alittle closer they will send you one as well!

Yeah. Just go the list in my email. Thanks :)

I was wondering, does anyone know the closest airport to Lexington I could fly into for my interview? I'm a little bit hard up on cash and I'm trying to cut cost on flying in.

I was wondering, does anyone know the closest airport to Lexington I could fly into for my interview? I'm a little bit hard up on cash and I'm trying to cut cost on flying in.

Lexington has an airport but it's not widely serviced.

The Louisville and Cincinnati airports are both roughly equidistant from Lexington and will have significantly more flight options to choose from.

Post interview thoughts:

Got there about 15 minutes early. In the initial meet and greet everyone seemed very friendly and the conference room was very nice. Overall it was a fantastic looking campus. My first interview was pretty strange to say the least. My interviewer half the time would say that I was going to get accepted and shouldn't have any problems and the other half of the time told me options of if I didn't get accepted such as EDP and the rural program. Second interview went smoothly with a few odd questions (built in to throw you off). One ethics type question. Other than that the rest of the campus looked beautiful and the facilites were very nice overall a great experience.

I had a pretty strange interview experience as well. Since I was married my two interviewers seemed more infatuatied with that aspect of ly application than anything thing esle. They kept asking about it so much I though I might just get the cellphone out and put her on speaker.

Aside from that I really liked the school.

Lexington has an airport but it's not widely serviced.

The Louisville and Cincinnati airports are both roughly equidistant from Lexington and will have significantly more flight options to choose from.

Just to clarify, as I'm sitting the Lexington airport as I type this, depending on where you are coming from Lexington can be quite easy to fly into.

Delta fly multiple flights from here daily to Atlanta, Detroit, NYC & I think Dulles.

American flies from Chicago & Dallas as well.

Could anyone tell me at what time the interview day ends? I've booked a flight for 3:45pm at Blue Grass airport and realized that my other interviews ended at ~3pm.. is this cutting it close?

I had mine yesterday and the interviews themselves end at latest 11:30, then you get lunch and take a quick (optional) tour. The whole thing ended up finishing at 1:00 pm, so you'll be fine.

just twiddlin' our thumbs until the 15th seems like such a waste of time. the 15h can't come soon enough!

just twiddlin' our thumbs until the 15th seems like such a waste of time. the 15h can't come soon enough!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I spoke with Jodi in admissions yesterday and since the 15th is a Saturday we will not know until the following Monday, the 17th.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I spoke with Jodi in admissions yesterday and since the 15th is a Saturday we will not know until the following Monday, the 17th.

I'm so glad you posted this, thank you! I was going to call but you've saved everyone the trouble.

New countdown then: 12 days.

It's disappointing, but thanks for the info.

I'm excited for you guys, almost there! Unfortunately, your countdown is also the countdown to our next anatomy quiz :scared:

Where did you guys stay for the interview? I'm about to make a reservation at Extended Stay America Lexington - Nicholasville. Also, does anyone know of a shuttling service available in Lexington? Thanks

Where did you guys stay for the interview? I'm about to make a reservation at Extended Stay America Lexington - Nicholasville. Also, does anyone know of a shuttling service available in Lexington? Thanks
While Lexington does not have the greatest public transit system, it can get you to UK from almost anywhere. It might take some planning to work out exactly how you'll get there. IDK if UK hosts interviewing students, but it's always worth contacting the UKSOM office to ask, especially when there's money on the line!

I stayed in the downtown Hilton, it's about a one mile walk to the med school (thought it's on the pricey side).

yeah, Hilton seems like a great hotel overall, but I'm on a tight budget! So I'll just stick with my ~$60/night. :D

While Lexington does not have the greatest public transit system, it can get you to UK from almost anywhere. It might take some planning to work out exactly how you'll get there. IDK if UK hosts interviewing students, but it's always worth contacting the UKSOM office to ask, especially when there's money on the line!

Alright, I'll look into that. Although I'll most likely be taking a cab on the day of, just to be sure...

Thanks for the input! :)

yeah you should be getting an email with a list of hosts to contact if you want. definitely what i would do, as it both cuts down on costs and gives you someone's brain to pick the night before your interview

Status
Not open for further replies.