2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an interview invite. IS, stats in MDApps. Was previously put on hold.
Congrats and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 I hope its not snowing too bad!

Last edited:
Got the waitlist letter today. Really bummed, figured I could count on my state school and alma mater for some love. I don't have many good feelings towards this school anymore with the decision that was made and after they made me wait 4 months to hear it.

Got the waitlist letter today. Really bummed, figured I could count on my state school and alma mater for some love. I don't have many good feelings towards this school anymore with the decision that was made and after they made me wait 4 months to hear it.

+1
We interviewed same date and everything, terribly long wait

When you say got the letter...do you mean postal letter? May we know what state you are from? I'm trying to decide when my letter should arrive by since I was supposedly up for review last week.

When you say got the letter...do you mean postal letter? May we know what state you are from? I'm trying to decide when my letter should arrive by since I was supposedly up for review last week.
How do you know if you are up for review?

I talked to some of the admin yesterday; I was told this applicant pool was the most competitive we've ever had so making these decisions must be tough. Congrats to those who've been accepted! Your future classmates are amazing people and I'm sure you'll have a great time here. For those on the waitlist, don't lose hope! A lot of people (especially IS) get in off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone in the app process; if I can answer any questions (especially about the clinical years) feel free to ask, residency interviews are coming to a close so I have a bit more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to some of the admin yesterday; I was told this applicant pool was the most competitive we've ever had so making these decisions must be tough. Congrats to those who've been accepted! Your future classmates are amazing people and I'm sure you'll have a great time here. For those on the waitlist, don't lose hope! A lot of people (especially IS) get in off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone in the app process; if I can answer any questions (especially about the clinical years) feel free to ask, residency interviews are coming to a close so I have a bit more time.

Awesome for those who got in....totally not awesome for the rest of us. I heard that over 100 people applied to WARM this year, up from 50 last year. Still the same number of spots though. This process just makes me really sad.

+2
I knew last Friday because I called, but it didn't make opening the letter today much easier.
+3 .... I was put on extended review Dec. 15th....interviewed November 18th. I am EXTREMELY disappointed. UW is by far my #1...I wish I would have gotten some love from my state school.

I know it's has only been two weeks since my interview but I'm already getting anxious. Just to humor me, does anyone know if we call the admissions office, will tell you that you are up for review at the next ad-comm meeting or not? I recall someone saying that they did that, but they had interviewed 6-8 weeks ago. They told us at the interview that it is a lottery for applicants to be reviewed so I figure my chance is just as good as anyone else's, right?

+3 .... I was put on extended review dec. 15th....interviewed november 18th. I am extremely disappointed. Uw is by far my #1...i wish i would have gotten some love from my state school.

+4 :(

Waitlisted today (interviewed 11/22, 3.92/35Q, IS). Guess my subpar ECs caught up with me..

Has everybody had to wait the full 8 weeks after their interview to get their decision?

tomorrow will be 8 weeks post interview for me. got impatient and called earlier today. They said they are behind and that I was reviewed last week. should hear by the end of the week.

On a separate note have not heard an acceptance on here in a while.....how many spots they have left? seems as though really good applicants are getting the big list.

tomorrow will be 8 weeks post interview for me. got impatient and called earlier today. They said they are behind and that I was reviewed last week. should hear by the end of the week.

On a separate note have not heard an acceptance on here in a while.....how many spots they have left? seems as though really good applicants are getting the big list.
Today is a full 8 weeks for me. Haven't heard a peep. Won't call since you just did and they're saying they are behind.

Today is a full 8 weeks for me. Haven't heard a peep. Won't call since you just did and they're saying they are behind.
same boat. i called late last week - they were still reviewing people who interviewed in november.

straight up denied, super bummed. got the letter a few minutes ago. stats 32q 3.7gpa good ec's, wisconsin raised, uw madison student. bah. interviewed dec 6th

Interview invite today :) > 30, averageish GPA, OOS.

Anyone know how full their class is? Am I basically interviewing for a waitlist spot?

Don't know but just got my letter today. Accepted. Interviewed Dec. 6. 36Q, 3.7, Average EC's, IS.

Join the facebook page! (UW School of Medicine and Public Health Class of 2016)

Got accepted today! Interviewed 12/6.

I got an interview invite for the 2nd to last interview date (March 2nd):)

Though from what I hear (most competitive year ever, tons already wait listed) I'm thinking I'm just interviewing for a spot at the end of the waitlist :(

Though from what I hear (most competitive year ever, tons already wait listed) I'm thinking I'm just interviewing for a spot at the end of the waitlist :(

:/ currently scheduled for the same day...that is also a fear of mine, but I don't know if that day will work out with my work schedule for March anyway :/

I am wondering the same thing, I got my interview invite about 48 hours ago.

I'm quite excited and very grateful to have gotten an interview from them, even though I think I realize my chances to get in at this point are exceptionally slim. I'm going to give it my all though, a 1% chance of getting past the wait list is still better than the 0% chance I had before I offered an interview :)

eek, double post (delete please)

:) agreed.

Could anyone tell us a little more about this group interview part? What is that like? How important is it?

:) agreed.

Could anyone tell us a little more about this group interview part? What is that like? How important is it?

I interviewed last year.

The group interview was pretty chill, it was 3 med students and 3 applicants seated in a wide circle in a classroom. The med students were eating lunch and were really laid back and they asked pretty simple questions like "what are you looking forward to in medical school". Then each applicant would answer the question. It was all super casual, we were making side jokes are giving simple answers like "Yea, totally! I really agree with what she said, I would also..."

From what I gather, the group interview is just there to make sure no one is a creepy loner, or isn't the type of arrogant person that always tries to talk first and is brown nosing everyone. It's less an interview and more a "make sure the applicants are normal people" check.

At least, that was my impression.

I interviewed last year.

The group interview was pretty chill, it was 3 med students and 3 applicants seated in a wide circle in a classroom. The med students were eating lunch and were really laid back and they asked pretty simple questions like "what are you looking forward to in medical school". Then each applicant would answer the question. It was all super casual, we were making side jokes are giving simple answers like "Yea, totally! I really agree with what she said, I would also..."

From what I gather, the group interview is just there to make sure no one is a creepy loner, or isn't the type of arrogant person that always tries to talk first and is brown nosing everyone. It's less an interview and more a "make sure the applicants are normal people" check.

At least, that was my impression.
I agree with everything Okone said. My group interview was very similar. 3 med students and 3 applicants. None of the med students actually had any questions prepared for us so it was more of a conversation just to get to know each other. They started off by saying, "So we'll just turn this group interview into a Q & A forum. Do you guys have any questions for us to answer?" And then they just pretty much spoke the entire time.

At first I was hella intimidated at the idea of a group interview, but once you get there and see that the dynamics between all the students was super chill, you'll chill out as well :) GOOD LUCK!

Everyone who interviews with us has a chance of direct acceptance; I don't know how big it compared to early in the year; I suspect that it'd be smaller. Afaik the class isn't full, though. From past cycles, I have seen many students I interviewed this late in future classes.

I spoke to the Director this past Friday. I interview on Jan 13 and she told me that I was going to hear about my decision this week (not sure whether its through mail or email or if its at the beginning or end). SO, I am a nervous wreck. I wish I never called lol.

Interviewed here on Friday. This school is simply amazing. I don't know which I like more, Madison or UWSMPH:love:

I spoke to the Director this past Friday. I interview on Jan 13 and she told me that I was going to hear about my decision this week (not sure whether its through mail or email or if its at the beginning or end). SO, I am a nervous wreck. I wish I never called lol.

Is it just u or us every body who interviewed feb 13th is going to get a decision this week? Cuz I interviewed feb 13 to, and am beginning to be nervous now.

You mean Jan 13 right? I'm not sure to be honest. I think it might only be some people. Sorry I can't be of more help.

You mean Jan 13 right? I'm not sure to be honest. I think it might only be some people. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ya I meant Jan 13th. And thanks for the heads up. At least now I know I can start checking my mail box every day instead of every 3 days. Lol.

Quick question for those who interviewed or are familiar with the area. If I'm interviewing on Friday the 24th and I have a 6:30pm flight out of Milwaukee that same day. Should I be worried about missing my flight? The email states that the interview should be complete by 2:45, but my concern is about the traffic, weather, construction etc since I don't know the area. Thanks in advance!

Quick question for those who interviewed or are familiar with the area. If I'm interviewing on Friday the 24th and I have a 6:30pm flight out of Milwaukee that same day. Should I be worried about missing my flight? The email states that the interview should be complete by 2:45, but my concern is about the traffic, weather, construction etc since I don't know the area. Thanks in advance!

How are you getting from Madison to Milwaukee? You should be fine if you're driving. If it's bus, you'll probably be fine too, but it'll be a little bit closer cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.