2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats to all those accepted and for all the great info!
I received the second look weekend email today and was wondering if anyone from past years can share more details about it. It says we can bring one guest...should you bring one of your parents or do most people attend solo?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say most people bring a significant other or come alone, but it'd be totally fine to bring a parent.

congrats to all those accepted and for all the great info!
I received the second look weekend email today and was wondering if anyone from past years can share more details about it. It says we can bring one guest...should you bring one of your parents or do most people attend solo?
Thanks!

I just interviewed there and thought I should sign up to SDN to share my experience. I'll keep this short and sweet. The people at UW is by far one of the most genuine group of people I have ever met. After the Dean of Student Dr. McBride welcomed us, I asked about his favorite part of the UW and he said, "the people!" The supportive culture was not only a verbal announcements about how the school holds integrity for people and society as a whole, but exemplified by how students and faculty interacted with one another. There is a sense of community that was refreshing to see for a top tier school. My group got to meet and greet some of the members of MSMC (Medical Students for Minority Concern) and they spoke honestly and openly about their positive experience as well.

It is easy to teach science, it is another to build a solid rich culture of collaboration that is the foundation of medical practice.

Ah! I share my excitement, nail biting and hair pulling experiences with fellow UW interviewees. :xf:.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been pretty quiet here lately. Does anyone know how full the class is?

It's been pretty quiet here lately. Does anyone know how full the class is?

I interviewed there in late Feb and they said the last interview date was March 2nd (which just passed). They also said they will have class spots open all the way through last interview day.

So going on that, the last interviews have just happened and they will be reviewed in the coming weeks. I'm assuming once all interview reviews are done and all applicants have gotten letters in the mail, the school will probably have the final 10-20 slots open to take people off the wait list. Then another 15-20 people will decline admission in the next few months.

I'm curious to see how much the waitlist moves this year. Looking at MDapps, and hearing of other people that have been accepted, it seems a lot of people who have been outright accepted (not extended review or waitlisted) are VERY competitive applicants that have been accepted to other Top 10 schools. I would imagine that the people that applied to these top schools would choose to go to them over Wisconsin (or else why apply to them?), and makes me think there might be some movement in the waitlist.

Does anybody know how much it has moved in years past? And does UW create an actual rank list, and if so, will they inform you your rank on the list?

I'm curious to see how much the waitlist moves this year. Looking at MDapps, and hearing of other people that have been accepted, it seems a lot of people who have been outright accepted (not extended review or waitlisted) are VERY competitive applicants that have been accepted to other Top 10 schools. I would imagine that the people that applied to these top schools would choose to go to them over Wisconsin (or else why apply to them?), and makes me think there might be some movement in the waitlist.

Does anybody know how much it has moved in years past? And does UW create an actual rank list, and if so, will they inform you your rank on the list?
Yes, they have a ranked waitlist. I don't recall when they people know their position though.

I believe last year about 20-25 ppl got in off the IS waitlist, not sure about OOS.

They said they would send out waitlist ranks in late April.

At my interview they said last year they had 32 people from the WL and that that was the highest number they'd ever taken.

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted here and I'm so excited and just have a few questions!

Can any current medical students at University of Wisconsin comment on the M3/M4 year in regard to having to travel around the state for rotations? Any general input would be great! For example, the length of time that is spent away from the Madison campus, how sites/campuses are assigned to students, etc? Also, are M1/M2s expected to travel to other campuses or is this just during M3/M4 years?

Also, I know some schools have block scheduling where students take 1 class at a time, and other schools have multiple courses simultaneously (such as Wisconsin). Is having multiple courses at once stressful when it comes to exam week/having 4-5 exams in a week?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Is there any sort of shuttle service from the airport to the medical school? I'm trying to figure out how to get from MSN over to my place in the least painful manner (i.e. avoiding a taxi). Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted here and I'm so excited and just have a few questions!

Can any current medical students at University of Wisconsin comment on the M3/M4 year in regard to having to travel around the state for rotations? Any general input would be great! For example, the length of time that is spent away from the Madison campus, how sites/campuses are assigned to students, etc? Also, are M1/M2s expected to travel to other campuses or is this just during M3/M4 years?

Also, I know some schools have block scheduling where students take 1 class at a time, and other schools have multiple courses simultaneously (such as Wisconsin). Is having multiple courses at once stressful when it comes to exam week/having 4-5 exams in a week?

I'm a current M1 and would have to say that I looooove block scheduling. Yes, it's incredibly stressful the week before exams & week of, but it eliminates the constant cramming for an individual class. When I applied here, I thought I'd hate the block system and wouldn't do as well on the exams. Turns out, I was wrong. In addition - our classes are so highly integrated with each other, it makes sense to study and get tested on lung physiology when you're studying lung anatomy etc. And lastly, then you're guaranteed a free weekend the weekend after each block which I think helps prevent us from getting burnt out. Hope that helps answer part of your question!

Hey guys,

Is there any sort of shuttle service from the airport to the medical school? I'm trying to figure out how to get from MSN over to my place in the least painful manner (i.e. avoiding a taxi). Thanks in advance!

There are a lot of us locals with cars that might be happy to transport fellow classmates! :)

There are a lot of us locals with cars that might be happy to transport fellow classmates! :)

Hey that would be great! I knew they weren't lying when the said the people at Madison were among the nicest you'll ever meet!

On a side note, I've been doing a lot of apartment hunting, and was wondering if the locals could shed some light on the costs of additional utilities that may or may not be included in the rent. Namely, the individual average monthly costs for 1 person living alone of electricity, heat, water, hot water, cable, internet, garbage, sewer, and anything else I might have missed. This information would be very helpful if you can share. Thanks!

I posted a detailed analysis about the clinical years earlier in this thread, I would look through it and find my post.

Does anybody know when Extended Review applicants will be notified?

Nice ! Congrats! I hope to hear something similar soon, as I am OOS as well :)

Rejected. Interviewed 2/17. I still think UW's an amazing school, and good luck to everyone still waiting. :)

I posted a detailed analysis about the clinical years earlier in this thread, I would look through it and find my post.

Drizzt, thanks for pointing me in that direction-it was very helpful! Two follow up questions for you-

1. How are sites assigned to students for the rotations away from Madison?

2. From your post/what I found out at interview day, the 2nd year at UW is graded. I know many schools are P/F both 1st and 2nd year and I was wondering if you had insight into why UW structures its grading as P/F only the first year? Also, due to this grading structure, is it likely that residency programs will take 2nd year grades into consideration in addition to board scores/how much emphasis do residency programs put on the 2nd year grades?

Drizzt, thanks for pointing me in that direction-it was very helpful! Two follow up questions for you-

1. How are sites assigned to students for the rotations away from Madison?

You rank them by your preferences and the sites are assigned by lottery.

2. From your post/what I found out at interview day, the 2nd year at UW is graded. I know many schools are P/F both 1st and 2nd year and I was wondering if you had insight into why UW structures its grading as P/F only the first year? Also, due to this grading structure, is it likely that residency programs will take 2nd year grades into consideration in addition to board scores/how much emphasis do residency programs put on the 2nd year grades?

It's to get people adjusted to med school (its completely unranked, unlike a lot of "p/f") but the admin feels that having it completely pf would put too much emphasis on the arbitrary clinical years and step 1. That makes sense to me: Pre clinical grades don't matter anyways.

Does UW-Madison post lectures online after each class and if so, are the lectures just audio or do they include (for example) powerpoint slideshows of the material?

Also, when it comes time for boards, does the M2 schedule build in some time to study for boards or is this something all on your own time, in addition to your normal coursework?

Does UW-Madison post lectures online after each class and if so, are the lectures just audio or do they include (for example) powerpoint slideshows of the material?

Also, when it comes time for boards, does the M2 schedule build in some time to study for boards or is this something all on your own time, in addition to your normal coursework?

They have video also. UW gives you free board study groups led by upperclassmen (I'm a leader for one of them) that meet for about 2-3 hours per week. You also have about 5-6 weeks to study for the boards between M2/M3.

How many people out there were put on extended review and then on the wait list? Thats what happened to me and I am wondering how many people are in the same boat.

Just wanted to note that recently plans were finalized for building a 55 million dollar building which will house the new school of nursing. That will take nursing students out of the hslc, allowing more room for med, pa, and pt students. Furthermore, the new school will have a brand new sim center that all the schools will use.

Just wanted to note that recently plans were finalized for building a 55 million dollar building which will house the new school of nursing. That will take nursing students out of the hslc, allowing more room for med, pa, and pt students. Furthermore, the new school will have a brand new sim center that all the schools will use.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_05b6de0a-705d-11e1-8564-0019bb2963f4.html
Good news for people 2 years from now, but not much of a difference in the meantime.

Also, I hear it's going to have an awesome coffee shop! :thumbup:

Psh, awesome coffee shops are to be found on willy street and a few on state street. Any coffee shop on campus is going to over-charge you for a poorly made cup o' joe.

Drizz, have you ever heard of plans to bring the anatomy lab over to the HSLC?

Psh, awesome coffee shops are to be found on willy street and a few on state street. Any coffee shop on campus is going to over-charge you for a poorly made cup o' joe.

When you spend 10-12 hours a day in a 1 mile radius of the HSLC, you come to appreciate variety. :)

Also, the kiosk in the atrium has been butchering the coffee lately. Blech.

I just found out I was placed on the alternate list after being on extended review for 4 weeks. Words cannot begin to describe the sadness I feel right now. I was so hopeful after having made it this far. I'm OOS and interviewed 2 months ago. UWSMPH is my first choice and I mentioned this throughout my interview, in my thank you notes, and hinted at it in various correspondences with Admissions post-interview. After reading through previous cycles' threads, I feel as though it's hard to be optimistic. Hate to be a downer, sorry. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back.

I just found out I was placed on the alternate list after being on extended review for 4 weeks. Words cannot begin to describe the sadness I feel right now. I was so hopeful after having made it this far. I'm OOS and interviewed 2 months ago. UWSMPH is my first choice and I mentioned this throughout my interview, in my thank you notes, and hinted at it in various correspondences with Admissions post-interview. After reading through previous cycles' threads, I feel as though it's hard to be optimistic. Hate to be a downer, sorry. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back.

Chin up, you don't know where you are on the list yet :)

i just found out i was placed on the alternate list after being on extended review for 4 weeks. Words cannot begin to describe the sadness i feel right now. I was so hopeful after having made it this far. I'm oos and interviewed 2 months ago. Uwsmph is my first choice and i mentioned this throughout my interview, in my thank you notes, and hinted at it in various correspondences with admissions post-interview. After reading through previous cycles' threads, i feel as though it's hard to be optimistic. Hate to be a downer, sorry. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back.

+1 :(

+2

Got my waitlist letter yesterday too (extended review for ~4 weeks). I really loved UWSMPH and Madison, but I haven't yet taken the stats requirement.. so if I don't hear back early enough to go forward with taking the stats class, I just won't be able to go. :( Bummed.

Beekachu you are a prime example of how random and unpredictable UW Madison is being this year with their admissions. Your application is absolutely incredible and I would have expected an easy acceptance for you from Wisconsin. It seems you've been very successful this season though so hopefully it doesn't weigh on you too much.

Yes, the application process is incredibly random.. I didn't fully understand how true that was until actually applying.

But yeah, I can't be too terribly down about it knowing that I will definitely be attending medical school next year :)D!) But Wisconsin was one of my very favorites after visiting, so it's stinks to be in this position, and it's hard since they don't allow any further additions/letters/etc to be added to your application post-interview.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to my fellow waitlistees!

I honestly think they're all about yield protection.

What do you mean?

From Wiki: "Yield protection is an alleged admissions practice where a university or academic institution rejects or wait-lists highly qualified students on the grounds that such students are bound to be accepted by more prestigious universities or programs."

Basically, it would mean they're trying to get a better matriculated:accepted ratio. I wouldn't doubt this as I know a few IS people with high stats (3.8+/35+) that have been waitlisted at UW this year. Oddly, I also know a few IS applicants with mediocre ECs and roughly 3.6/31 stats who were accepted outright. Unfortunately for some of the "shoo ins", they haven't been accepted to the likes of Yale and WashU and are now waiting on their state school. UW is a very good state school, don't get me wrong, but it probably isn't in the program's best interests to risk losing such strong IS applicants to other schools for a higher yield. If that really is what's happening, then the whole thing is pretty messed up, IMO.

While at work today, I received a voicemail from Dr. Hansen. Called back on my break to find out that I was accepted for the class of 2016!!! OOS, complete 11/15, interviewed 2/24 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.