2011-2012 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would call the financial aid office and find out from them if you have to apply or if those are only on offer basis. However, either way I'd not cancel your other interviews because often times you find yourself surprised with the schools you like or don't like. you may end up liking one of the other 2 more or finding they fit you more. Don't knock them til you've seen them. I think its worth checking them out before being deadset on coming here before you've seen the other two. Chances are they could end up cheaper too.

However, yes wayne does give scholarships but I would contact the finaid office for more details on how they are determined.

Members don't see this ad.

Will be a Canadian applicant affect your position on the waitlist?
I got placed on the waitlist on the 21st, what should I do?
( Or rather what did you do to get off the waitlist?)

Yes being canadian puts you in the OOS pile of waitlistees which is diff. then the IS pile. Or at least that's the impression I got last year though i can ask when I give interview tours next for more details on how that works.

But I do know that a lot of schools do try to balance it out to a degree esp. when we are talking about public schools like Fl. state schools or Mi state schools outside of UM which can take anyone they like cuz they are up there with the big ballin ivy league schools in terms of rep as a med school.

However, OOSers get off a lot more to a degree due to the high tuition rates compared to IS where the competition in some ways is far more fierce even if there are more IS seats cuz people are not going to give up cheap tuition unless its a dream school.

Anyone know if an update such as getting a first author paper in a respected journal is welcomed/encouraged by Wayne state pre-interview?

Yes, I updated Wayne so many times last year even after getting on the waitlist.

Pre interview and post interview updates are always welcomeed at wayne. So I would absolutely send it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

If I submitted my deposit and matriculation agreement for another school (was due dec 19), I will still be considered for the wayne waitlist right?

Because on the letter it said that if you matriculate at another school, you are no longer considered. That just means that if you attend the orientation or sign a final agreement, right??

I received an invitation for an interview at Wayne State. I spoke to a friend who interviewed there two years ago and she said that they send you a set of questions in the mail that you need to prepare answers for prior to the interview. I received my information packet but did not receive a list of questions to prepare answers for. Did I miss something or did Wayne State change their interview formats in the last two years? Thanks.

I received an invitation for an interview at Wayne State. I spoke to a friend who interviewed there two years ago and she said that they send you a set of questions in the mail that you need to prepare answers for prior to the interview. I received my information packet but did not receive a list of questions to prepare answers for. Did I miss something or did Wayne State change their interview formats in the last two years? Thanks.

I've NEVER had to do that. I did interview there two years ago and that was NOT the policy. I don't think it has EVER been the policy. Just know your AMCAS and you'll be fine. Be prepared to defend/explain EVERYTHING in it.

my interview was super laid back. we talked about my motivations behind medicine and never touched on anything on my amcas. ended up talking about our favorite chinese restaurants.

Yes, I updated Wayne so many times last year even after getting on the waitlist.

Pre interview and post interview updates are always welcomeed at wayne. So I would absolutely send it.

They are welcomed, but they don't help you. The decisions of the committee aren't going to change. They only become a factor if you're still on the waitlist until July. And that's maybe.

My advice is that unless it's your update is Earth shattering, don't waste your time. My understanding is that no one will even read it.

Hey guys,

If I submitted my deposit and matriculation agreement for another school (was due dec 19), I will still be considered for the wayne waitlist right?

Because on the letter it said that if you matriculate at another school, you are no longer considered. That just means that if you attend the orientation or sign a final agreement, right??

Yes, absolutely. Not sure about other schools, but at Wayne you can submit deposits to as many schools as you'd like. However, come May 15, you have to give up all of them except for the one you at which you want to matriculate (or all of them, if you've decided medicine is not for you . . . yes, it happens).

Yes being canadian puts you in the OOS pile of waitlistees which is diff. then the IS pile. Or at least that's the impression I got last year though i can ask when I give interview tours next for more details on how that works.

But I do know that a lot of schools do try to balance it out to a degree esp. when we are talking about public schools like Fl. state schools or Mi state schools outside of UM which can take anyone they like cuz they are up there with the big ballin ivy league schools in terms of rep as a med school.

However, OOSers get off a lot more to a degree due to the high tuition rates compared to IS where the competition in some ways is far more fierce even if there are more IS seats cuz people are not going to give up cheap tuition unless its a dream school.

While yes, as a Canadian you're considered OOS (be thankful you're considered at all; not to sound rude but lots of other U.S. med schools won't accept any international students and they consider Canadians international students), I don't think there are two separate lists for IS and OOS.

The way I understand the waitlist, each person on it is given a rank. This rank is not a place but rather a score, given your credentials. Now, whether or not someone is OOS may affect their score is a different story, although the selection process for OOS is pre-interview (i.e. it's harder to get an interview if you're OOS than IS). If you've made it this far you're generally on par with IS people. If you look on previous years' threads I wouldn't tally up OOS vs. IS acceptances off of the waitlist. Remember, there's a little bit of a statistical bias (not everyone is on SDN or if they are will report).

The truth is you have a SMALL chance of getting off before May 15, but in all likelihood it won't happen until AFTER. Hang tight and be patient.

I respectfully disagree on the no one will read updates part of your post. Schools that really don't read such outright generally don't even accept updates like at rfu and Albany and USF. I sent updates to both schools that interviewed me. I strongly suggest that if youhavesomething significant whether it's new leadership orjoborvolunteer roles or shadowing or clinical stuff or research stuff. But it should notbesomething like I vol.three hours today. Ok thank you.haha. It should be something like my paper was recently published and give title and citation. And I have recently started a two month stint volunteering with xyz clinic hospital etc.

I have an interview scheduled for february too. Does anyone know if those interviews are for open spots or the waitlist? It seems like the class would be almost full.

as a Canadian you're considered OOS

I didn't know that when I applied :eek:. I'm really thankful to Wayne indeed then.

fzwarrior said:
I have an interview scheduled for february too. Does anyone know if those interviews are for open spots or the waitlist? It seems like the class would be almost full.

You're definitely still up for open spots. 3 out of 7 batches of acceptances have been sent so far, so at least 4/7 of the class's spots haven't been claimed yet (assuming Wayne doesn't overaccept people).

so basically, If I have given in a deposit for a D.O schools, on May 15 I have to confirm that and that takes me out of the running at wayne? But doesnt most waitlist movement occur after that? So that means we are stuck with that initial school then?

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar position. Can someone clarify this?

so basically, If I have given in a deposit for a D.O schools, on May 15 I have to confirm that and that takes me out of the running at wayne? But doesnt most waitlist movement occur after that? So that means we are stuck with that initial school then?

I was told that you can only have one ACCEPTANCE on May 15 but can still be on waitlists. Hope that helps.

Correct to Astros above. Also note that is only for md schools. Do applications are their own system.

I respectfully disagree on the no one will read updates part of your post. Schools that really don't read such outright generally don't even accept updates like at rfu and Albany and USF. I sent updates to both schools that interviewed me. I strongly suggest that if youhavesomething significant whether it's new leadership orjoborvolunteer roles or shadowing or clinical stuff or research stuff. But it should notbesomething like I vol.three hours today. Ok thank you.haha. It should be something like my paper was recently published and give title and citation. And I have recently started a two month stint volunteering with xyz clinic hospital etc.

I was told by my pre-med advisor back in the day that, at least at Wayne, they really don't read them, because essentially the committee has made their decision (accept, reject, or waitlist).

Because they stick most people on the waitlist and your waitlist "score" generally determines if and when you're taken off, only when it comes down to the wire will they look at it.

I was told that you can only have one ACCEPTANCE on May 15 but can still be on waitlists. Hope that helps.

Correct to Astros above. Also note that is only for md schools. Do applications are their own system.

I am in a similar position. Can someone clarify this?

Ditto above. If you're holding an acceptance at one school but you get in off the waitlist at Wayne, after May 15 you have to make the decision whether you want to keep your acceptance at the other school or take Wayne's. But, if you're on the waitlist at Wayne you're definitely not taken off after May 15.

Has anyone who sent in a secondary in late September who is a first time applicant received an interview invite? I have a 3.8/28O. Should I be worried? I don't really understand the interview selection process. Also, my friend applied in November with a 4.0/34 and hasn't heard anything. How long does it usually take? If anyone has insight, let me know. Thanks!

Has anyone who sent in a secondary in late September who is a first time applicant received an interview invite? I have a 3.8/28O. Should I be worried? I don't really understand the interview selection process. Also, my friend applied in November with a 4.0/34 and hasn't heard anything. How long does it usually take? If anyone has insight, let me know. Thanks!

You're probably on hold. I was complete in early Sep and I got interviewed and received my decision already. Did you receive confirmation of receipt for your secondary?

I sent my secondary late August and have similar stats to you, and I got an interview invite at the end of december. So you definitely still have a chance, if you submitted your secondary later than me.

I am in a similar position as you. Secondary submitted in october and still haven't received any feedback. From what I've heard, Wayne tends to take their time with the apps so we still might be in the running for a interview invite.

for those who already interviewed, what time was the day over? just wondering so i know what time to book my return flight.

also, what is the closest hotel to the school? anything walking distance?

for those who already interviewed, what time was the day over? just wondering so i know what time to book my return flight.

also, what is the closest hotel to the school? anything walking distance?

If you don't go on the noon tour or if your interview is in the afternoon, then the day ends right after your interview ends, so 1h after your set time.

My interviewer asked me about my other MD school interviews and specifically asked whether I got selected. I told him that. I got in to wright state and MSU.I also mentioned that given a chance I would prefer wayne state.I am just wondering whether my acceptance to other MD schools will have any impact on my acceptance decision to Wayne State. Pl let me know.

My interviewer asked me about my other MD school interviews and specifically asked whether I got selected. I told him that. I got in to wright state and MSU.I also mentioned that given a chance I would prefer wayne state.I am just wondering whether my acceptance to other MD schools will have any impact on my acceptance decision to Wayne State. Pl let me know.
I don't think it matters. My Wayne interviewer asked the same thing and I told him where I've gotten interviews. I got accepted so I doubt it matters. I think he was just curious.
I went to an interview prep session once and they said that some people will ask that question and there is no need to lie or anything.

I was also asked. Just tell the truth since I'm pretty sure they can find out after March or May anyway.

Shouldn't hurt you at all. If your answer was "yeah, Harvard and Mayo accepted me already, I am just interviewing here to see how it goes" they probably wouldn't take your application at Wayne seriously, but if you are genuinely interested in attending Wayne over the two who accepted you, and expressed your preference, you should be fine.

Hello All,

Former WSU/SOM student - now in gen surg residency at WSU/DMC. Wanted to post about a housing opportunity for those of you who may be looking to relocate if/now that you will be/are accepted at WSU.

I have a nice 2 bedroom/1 bath house which will be coming up for rent late spring/early summer of 2012. It is in Roseville (aka East side of Detroit suburbs), 2 blocks from I-94 on ramp. Approx 20 min door to door to WSU med school campus (I should know - I lived there during med school)

House is great for a couple or a pair of roomies. Has large yard (but we take care of yard maintenance). Utilitiies are renters responsibility.

If anyone is interested - email me for details - [email protected].

Thanks! Good luck to all!

Isn't today a decision release date?
yeah, so decisions will be released before five. don't know the exact time though. Good luck everyone! (so nervous lol...alternate listed last month)

Still no decision... I have had no change in status since October.

Good luck to those hearing back today & congrats to those accepted!

I think what chocofudges meant was that they received word that they're still on the alternate list and the next time they can hear is Feb 22nd.

Give it some time, I got my letter 15 minutes ago. If it starts approaching the end of the day, just give them a call. :thumbup:

My mistake..

That said though congratulations to everyone accepted! Now time to celebrate!

Considering that OOS Tuition after living expenses is more than two-fold IS, does anyone know if OOS students can gain IS residency after X amount of years? If so, what are the terms and conditions?

Thanks!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the deal with Michigan instate is this, and it really screws over OOS applicants:

You have to live in Michigan for a year while NOT being enrolled in school full time at all. You can never gain instate tuition if you are enrolled in medical school. Considering the price tag it's definitely something to think about.

Considering that OOS Tuition after living expenses is more than two-fold IS, does anyone know if OOS students can gain IS residency after X amount of years? If so, what are the terms and conditions?

Thanks!

What does that mean to be on hold? Do they do that if they're unsure about some part of my app?

Also, I received a confirmation via that all secondary materials were received on October 5th.

Accepted off the wait-list today. Interviewed in October. I didn't think there was much if any movement off the alternate list but I guess there is. For those of you still on the wait-list, most movement occurs in May so don't stress just yet!

Accepted!!! Invited to interview in December and interviewed in January. Big shout out to gujuDoc for all her help and guidance!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! Hope to see you in August!

What does that mean to be on hold? Do they do that if they're unsure about some part of my app?

Also, I received a confirmation via that all secondary materials were received on October 5th.
"On Hold" is Wayne's version of the wait list. They will review your application each decision date, and if you make the cut, you could get an acceptance notification at any of those decision dates. Acceptance is more likely after May 15th as already mentioned, so don't lose hope if you aren't accepted before then. :luck:

Edit: I see now that you haven't interviewed yet. That means you may still be invited for an interview, that last of which are in March or April I believe, so don't give up hope yet!

Last edited:
Accepted yesterday by the way...I've been mostly lurking this year after last year's disappointments!! WSU 2016! =D Congrats everyone and God bless!

Anyone know how likely it is to get an interview now? My secondary was complete in early November.

Canadian applicant.

Question for current students and/or accepted students who have thought about this:

What's the opinion on the co-curricular program? Particularly the HuMed track. I'm just looking for thoughts of people who have been through it and can speak on positives and negatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.