2011-2012 Wright State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for me. But it sounds like it is not even a waitlist. It is basically waitlist for waitlist? Maybe I got a letter different from you. But I was surprised that I did not get rejected because one of the interview went pretty bad. :( I guess I have to wait until May to find out.
Did you have a guy that only wanted short answers and then had you repeat your application? I did. He opened up with "The only way we are going to get through this is if you keep your answers brief." Needless to say I didn't think it went spectacular and didn't even make it on the waitlist. Not shedding a tear, if the adage that "You're interviewing us as much as we are interviewing you" is actually true, he pretty much put WSU at the bottom of my list.

Members don't see this ad.

got my waitlist letter today, pissed.

Same for me. But it sounds like it is not even a waitlist. It is basically waitlist for waitlist? Maybe I got a letter different from you. But I was surprised that I did not get rejected because one of the interview went pretty bad. :( I guess I have to wait until May to find out.

Good luck in May. There's a lot of movement on the waitlist if you look at previous years. A big portion of my class got accepted off the waitlist.

Did you have a guy that only wanted short answers and then had you repeat your application? I did. He opened up with "The only way we are going to get through this is if you keep your answers brief." Needless to say I didn't think it went spectacular and didn't even make it on the waitlist. Not shedding a tear, if the adage that "You're interviewing us as much as we are interviewing you" is actually true, he pretty much put WSU at the bottom of my list.

Really sorry to hear that. I'm wondering who your interviewer was because most of the faculty here are really nice people. I haven't really met anyone who I thought was rude enough to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really sorry to hear that. I'm wondering who your interviewer was because most of the faculty here are really nice people. I haven't really met anyone who I thought was rude enough to do that.

Not all the interviewers are faculty there. I was an interviewed by someone from the community who does not teach at the medical school. We got along well too btw.

hmm what was his name? I heard horror stories from a buddy who interviewed last year who had a similar situation occur. I had Dr. Scott and a guy from the VA whose name escapes me. They were both very nice.

I'm sure we got the same one. Alternate list = waitlist. It should have mentioned how you were basically ranked and placed into the pile. I heard that last year top 1/3 of the waitlist got acceptances, but we'll have to see, it is different each year. Now, i'm just hoping I can get an acceptance from Toledo or cinci to relieve some stress.

Not all the interviewers are faculty there. I was an interviewed by someone from the community who does not teach at the medical school. We got along well too btw.

Yeah, I meant to include preceptors from the community too. I haven't met all of them, but the ones I did meet are nice. All of my friends have all been saying how great their preceptors are.

I'm sure we got the same one. Alternate list = waitlist. It should have mentioned how you were basically ranked and placed into the pile. I heard that last year top 1/3 of the waitlist got acceptances, but we'll have to see, it is different each year. Now, i'm just hoping I can get an acceptance from Toledo or cinci to relieve some stress.

Good luck with Toledo and Cinci. :xf: The application cycle can be stressful, especially during this time of year. Hang in there!

Yeah, I meant to include preceptors from the community too. I haven't met all of them, but the ones I did meet are nice. All of my friends have all been saying how great their preceptors are.

Good luck with Toledo and Cinci. :xf: The application cycle can be stressful, especially during this time of year. Hang in there!

thanks man

II today about 5 minutes ago! OOS. Thought I was out of the running this interview season.

II today about 5 minutes ago! OOS. Thought I was out of the running this interview season.

Congrats! We need more Asians here. Especially crazy ones. Good luck.

Congrats! We need more Asians here. Especially crazy ones. Good luck.

Thx. Does anybody know how long we have to schedule? I have not been able to get through the last two days. The number they gave me to call just rings forever.

Thx. Does anybody know how long we have to schedule? I have not been able to get through the last two days. The number they gave me to call just rings forever.

This happened to as well. Just try at various times throughout the day.

So are there 2 interviews, one with a student and one with a faculty. And do they have access to your grades/MCAT? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
So are there 2 interviews, one with a student and one with a faculty. And do they have access to your grades/MCAT? Thanks
Not necessarily. It's two interviews but it is just luck of the draw whether or not one will be with a student.

okay so i m in a huge dilemma..please give me ur opinions:
I am an IS for this school and has already submitted everything..in a long run, I can hope to get an interview for this college :xf:
so i was talking with my parents and they were bent on me getting accepted in an IS school regardless of the status of the school in terms of tiers, etc. They want me to have less debt at the end..so my question is does it matter for the residency and future if I graduate from a school like George Washington for example or Wright State?
Thanks!!

In all reality, the education is going to be very similar no matter where you go. I think it is more important to think of how much debt you will be in once you graduate. Also consider you opportunities for scholarships. If you are at a "lower tier" school (which I don't think WSUBSOM is) you might have a better opportunity to get scholarship money and will hopefully have a higher class rank ect. Also, going along with debt, I would strongly consider an in state school vs out of state or private. I don't think in the long run it will matter where you went to school. If you are a stand-out student, you will likely shine at which ever school you choose.

Can any current students comment on how many hours of lecture you have each day in the first 2 years, whether its mandatory, if material is posted online in video/audio format, when it is posted etc.?

Avg 4 hrs/day first year. Second year majority of the days are 4 hrs. 99% of the lectures are recorded MP3s and videos. Fridays are ICM and you pretty much have the afternoon off. Loved the schedule, very flexible compared to other schools that are 8-4 (death) and it gives you more time to study outside of class.

Also, in third and fourth years, there are grades (H, HP, P, F). Of course this probably is true for every med school in the country.

Grades 3rd year are P/F and a % just like the first 2 years. I think Neuro and ER might be H/P/F but there is talk about changing it.

Grades 3rd year are P/F and a % just like the first 2 years. I think Neuro and ER might be H/P/F but there is talk about changing it.

Ah yes yes you're right, thanks for clarifying this.

Has anyone had an luck updating your application? I wanted to send some new grades, but I am not sure who to send it to. Any ideas?

I wouldn't send a transcript. Probably an update letter or letter of interest.

Has anyone had an luck updating your application? I wanted to send some new grades, but I am not sure who to send it to. Any ideas?

[email protected] is the generic email for the office of student affairs and admissions. If you send it to them, I'm sure they can get it to the right person. I would say send it along to Dr. Peterson, but he's taking a leave of absence, so it likely wouldn't do much good.

[email protected] is the generic email for the office of student affairs and admissions. If you send it to them, I'm sure they can get it to the right person. I would say send it along to Dr. Peterson, but he's taking a leave of absence, so it likely wouldn't do much good.

Yes, that is what I ended up doing and it is indeed the correct e-mail address for updates. Thanks everyone.

Can any students comment on the lack of a university hospital? I can see both pros and cons to this (more cons), but am curious about your opinions. I am aware of ICM on Fridays, but at other schools I visited they were very pleased with how easy it was to just walk over to the hospital and shadow for an afternoon, for example. This seems to be the only downside to wright state.

Thanks.

Can anyone talk about the clinical exposure in the Biennial I (first two years of medical school)? Seems like they don't integrate much and keep the sciences in the first two years and clinical exposure in the last two years.

Can any students comment on the lack of a university hospital? I can see both pros and cons to this (more cons), but am curious about your opinions. I am aware of ICM on Fridays, but at other schools I visited they were very pleased with how easy it was to just walk over to the hospital and shadow for an afternoon, for example. This seems to be the only downside to wright state.

Thanks.

This was one thing that I was hesitant about coming into BSOM. Wright State advertises that we have 7 "teaching" hospitals affiliated with the school and they really aren't lying. We literally get full run of these places... some even BEG the students to come shadow. I like the 7 different hospitals because they all have a very different feel...you have your Miami Valley, big Trauma 1 hosptial to the smaller more suburbian ones, and the VA is also very different. You get a sense of how different hospitals are and how to adapt to different systems (a 3rd or 4th year could probably comment on this better). But shadowing at any of these places is SO easy...some even have a website where you can just go and pick a day online, and if not there its very easy to find a contact in ANY department who will set you up. They're extremely helpful in connecting you with someone, I haven't had a bad experience yet.

As far as proximity, I do wish the hospitals were all right around WSU (some are 20 min away, tops). I know at some of my friends schools they are a lot closer to the 3rd and 4th years because they see them around campus more where as we don't see them much...so it really depends how much that bothers you. I'm really happy with it all in all.

Can anyone talk about the clinical exposure in the Biennial I (first two years of medical school)? Seems like they don't integrate much and keep the sciences in the first two years and clinical exposure in the last two years.

Clinical exposure the first 2 years is basically what you make of it and how much you want to do. We have ICM (Intro to Clinical med--teaches you how to do the interview, exam, etc) on fridays and they block out a chunk of time Friday afternoon to meet with your preceptor. This will be a physician out in the community that you go to to practice the skills you've learned in ICM. You'll usually meet them at a hospital or their office and you'll first practice on a classmate and eventually on patients. This is really the only REQUIRED clinical exposure you have first 2 years.

HOWEVER...there is AMPLE opportunity to do much much more. It really just depends how much you take advantage of these opportunities. Any time you want to shadow...you can (literally any time..anywhere...see post above). There is also a free clinic called Reach Out that a lot of the med students volunteer at, this is GREAT clinical exposure because they let you triage the patients / do as much as your comfortable with, really. We also are required to do 60 hours of service learning and 2 electives... you get to choose what you do but a lot of the service learning and elective choices are other things that would give you some awesome clinical exposure (for example I'm doing some thing where I spend a whole weekend in alcohol rehab center doing small interventions...there's also things like surgery or family medicine electives where you basically do a 2 week mini rotation, etc etc).

I'm sure there's tons other stuff I can't think of right now. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting involved with stuff like this if you come to wright state (or anywhere you go, really). It's kind of easy to forget why you're really there the first 2 years....getting hands on experience in the hospitals always reminds me the true purpose of med school and re-inspires me when I'm ripping my hair out over biochem pathways....

If you (or anyone) have any other specific questions about stuff like this or anything about wright state, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my email. :D

Clinical exposure the first 2 years is basically what you make of it and how much you want to do. We have ICM (Intro to Clinical med--teaches you how to do the interview, exam, etc) on fridays and they block out a chunk of time Friday afternoon to meet with your preceptor. This will be a physician out in the community that you go to to practice the skills you've learned in ICM. You'll usually meet them at a hospital or their office and you'll first practice on a classmate and eventually on patients. This is really the only REQUIRED clinical exposure you have first 2 years.

HOWEVER...there is AMPLE opportunity to do much much more. It really just depends how much you take advantage of these opportunities. Any time you want to shadow...you can (literally any time..anywhere...see post above). There is also a free clinic called Reach Out that a lot of the med students volunteer at, this is GREAT clinical exposure because they let you triage the patients / do as much as your comfortable with, really. We also are required to do 60 hours of service learning and 2 electives... you get to choose what you do but a lot of the service learning and elective choices are other things that would give you some awesome clinical exposure (for example I'm doing some thing where I spend a whole weekend in alcohol rehab center doing small interventions...there's also things like surgery or family medicine electives where you basically do a 2 week mini rotation, etc etc).

I'm sure there's tons other stuff I can't think of right now. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting involved with stuff like this if you come to wright state (or anywhere you go, really). It's kind of easy to forget why you're really there the first 2 years....getting hands on experience in the hospitals always reminds me the true purpose of med school and re-inspires me when I'm ripping my hair out over biochem pathways....

If you (or anyone) have any other specific questions about stuff like this or anything about wright state, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my email. :D

so is ICM all day Friday? I was under the impression it was just for ~2.5 hours in the morning and the afternoon was free to study.

Thanks.

It's ridiculously easy to get shadowing experience in a variety of specialties at WSU. You might have to drive instead of walk, but it's really easy.

so is ICM all day Friday? I was under the impression it was just for ~2.5 hours in the morning and the afternoon was free to study.

There's a lecture for an hour and small groups for an hour on Fri mornings. The afternoon is blocked off for people to go see their preceptor, but you don't have to see them on Fridays. You can see them whenever you and your preceptor are free (even on weekends). For instance, if I see my preceptor on Tuesday afternoons, and I'm free on Friday after small groups.

It's a little different in terms of scheduling for MS2, but it's the same format: lecture+practice.

Hey guys! So I have an interview in late February and I'm really excited! I applied late and as such, have a late interview...What kind of a disadvantage am I at? Have most of the spots been filled?

Hey guys! So I have an interview in late February and I'm really excited! I applied late and as such, have a late interview...What kind of a disadvantage am I at? Have most of the spots been filled?

I would say you are at little to no disadvantage, but a medical school student can probably give you the best answer.

I just know that Wright State gives out few interviews and seems to have a pretty good acceptance ratio. They are looking for good fits, more than anything else. (EDIT: Although, if you are OOS, your chances are probably slimmer).

I would say you are at little to no disadvantage, but a medical school student can probably give you the best answer.

I just know that Wright State gives out few interviews and seems to have a pretty good acceptance ratio. They are looking for good fits, more than anything else. (EDIT: Although, if you are OOS, your chances are probably slimmer).

Agreed ^^

Pretty sure you will still have a really good chance of getting in. I had an interview in APRIL at a school and got accepted. Good luck, see you in feb :) :luck:

Congratulations on the II. When were you complete and how long ago did you receive the II? Good Luck!

Do you when he'll be taking the leave of absence and for how long?

I was complete on the 11th I believe, and got the II by the 14th if memory serves me right...It was very soon. I was definitely surprised!

Congratulations on the II. When were you complete and how long ago did you receive the II? Good Luck!

I was complete on the 11th I believe, and got the II by the 14th if memory serves me right...It was very soon. I was definitely surprised!

(Sorry about the double post guys. Still trying to figure this thing out!)

(Sorry about the double post guys. Still trying to figure this thing out!)

Is that 11th of December? If that's the case, that is very fast. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Is that 11th of December? If that's the case, that is very fast. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I lied. By the 11th I meant in November. So many apps I forget when I sent certain ones in :/.

My stats are average and I'm OOS.

So, how long are we likely going to be waiting for news post-interview? The sheet given to us said 6-8 weeks. Any chance it might be shorter than that?

So, how long are we likely going to be waiting for news post-interview? The sheet given to us said 6-8 weeks. Any chance it might be shorter than that?

One of my interviewers told me they would be reviewing our batch 2 weeks from the date of my interview and I could expect to hear around then. I heard back in like 2 weeks and 2 days (or close to that). So I would say the 6-8 weeks on the sheet is almost meaningless. However, who knows how the holiday breaks affected things. Good luck!

Last year, I heard back in just over 3 weeks. I feel like the later in the application cycle, the longer it takes to get a response though.

GL.

I interviewed 11/30 and I am still waiting to hear back from Wright State...I am confused as to how they respond with an acceptance/rejection. The gentleman (Asst. Dean, possibly) at the interview said via SNAIL mail, but it sounds like you received an email prior to the snail mail response? Is this true? I am kinda stressing out waiting for the letter in the mail when I should be stressing out about an email...? Thanks and congrats on the acceptance!

I interviewed 11/30 and I am still waiting to hear back from Wright State...I am confused as to how they respond with an acceptance/rejection. The gentleman (Asst. Dean, possibly) at the interview said via SNAIL mail, but it sounds like you received an email prior to the snail mail response? Is this true? I am kinda stressing out waiting for the letter in the mail when I should be stressing out about an email...? Thanks and congrats on the acceptance!

For me it was email first and then letter. Good luck

I attempted to send an updated letter and was told that they don't currently accept any update information. If you're selected to interview, you can bring updates then.

Kind of wonky, to be honest, but I haven't gotten an II yet so I'm probably just bitter. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.