2012-2013 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, those interview dates filled up quickly. Anyone else going September 7?

Nope, I am on the 8th.
Anyone know any places in Omaha that I could celebrate my birthday at? Everyone says doctors miss important events, I guess it is only fitting that I am missing part of my birthday as my first sacrifice becoming a doctor. And make sure you celebrate Will Smith's death in I am Legend, too. His death happens on my birthday of this year. I was totally planning a "in honor of Will Smith"/birthday party.

Members don't see this ad.

I turned in my secondary today, and I'm not sure how this interview process works. Will I need to wait until the first round of interviews finishes before I can expect an invite?

Nope, I am on the 8th.
Anyone know any places in Omaha that I could celebrate my birthday at? Everyone says doctors miss important events, I guess it is only fitting that I am missing part of my birthday as my first sacrifice becoming a doctor. And make sure you celebrate Will Smith's death in I am Legend, too. His death happens on my birthday of this year. I was totally planning a "in honor of Will Smith"/birthday party.

Slowdown is a fun place just a few blocks from campus on 14th, very college-y. The Max is a fun place that isn't far. It's known as a gay dance club, but most of the people there are straight, and it's a really fun place. I've heard there are a lot of other good spots, for hipsters and others. Happy birthday!

Members don't see this ad :)
so I had no plans to do the student host thing, then I just saw that it says they can NOT store luggage for us...

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten an interview! I've been complete since 7/30, hoping to get a call soon for an interview :)

Interview invite!
OOS, 3.9, 32P, and was complete in early July. Good luck everyone!

So I know their website says that 150 students matriculate into the medical school but does anyone have any idea how many students they accept?

So I know their website says that 150 students matriculate into the medical school but does anyone have any idea how many students they accept?
according to US news, 413 acceptances! eek! great odds for us interviewees!

Joining in the fun... re-applicant who just got released from the waitlist. I'm really bummed about missing out this year, but that only gives me another year to better the ol' app. Adding post-bacc coursework and shadowing. Ended up gutting my personal statement when it was becoming clear that I wouldn't move off the waitlist, so I submitted a bit later and am still waiting for verification.

Congrats to those who got interviews! Happy to add my $0.02 if anyone wants an idea of what the interview will be like.

according to US news, 413 acceptances! eek! great odds for us interviewees!

Let me put that in perspective:

Creighton University SOM (2011)

Verified Applications: 5,972
Interviewed Applicants: 662 (11%)
Accepted Applicants: 413 (62%)
Matriculated Applicants: 150 (36%)

Percentages are calculated from the demographic above the statistic.

Why are statistics and information like First IIs, Interview Dates, First Acceptances, etc in the first post of each thread? SDN should figure out a way to verify a current student to moderate each school's thread to keep applicants informed on things like this. A little from each school would go a long way.

Why are statistics and information like First IIs, Interview Dates, First Acceptances, etc in the first post of each thread? SDN should figure out a way to verify a current student to moderate each school's thread to keep applicants informed on things like this. A little from each school would go a long way.

I've also considered this over the past several years... It would definitely help people decide on where to apply when it gets to be a little later in the cycle.

Idk what you mean by put it in perspective? I have an interview here

Idk what you mean by put it in perspective? I have an interview here

:confused:

1. put it into perspective 48 up, 9 down
If you put something into perspective you show that you realize or make others realize the importance/significance of the thing you are referring to. Alternatively, it means you put the thing into its correct place (or make it clear for you and others).

Members don't see this ad :)
“If I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice."

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I regularly post that opening scene on fb.

"You were really funny, and then you just got inappropriate..."

"Ok, ok: obviously I'd shoot bin Laden first."

"Still not ok."

I meant that I don't know why you needed to "put it into perspective."... I think 413 out of 600 some interviews are extremely good odds. Compared to 300 some acceptances out of 1000 interviews at gw

I meant that I don't know why you needed to "put it into perspective."... I think 413 out of 600 some interviews are extremely good odds. Compared to 300 some acceptances out of 1000 interviews at gw

I think you're missing the point.

The reason I said "put it into perspective" was to allow people to understand the single number you gave out.

The only number you gave was 413 acceptances. The post before you listed 150 matriculants. Now, if you have 413 acceptances out of 600 interviews like Creighton, that's great odds. Whereas if you were getting 413 acceptances out of 25,000 interviews, that would be pretty crappy.

I was just supplementing your post with more information.

Which, in the end, is what 'put into perspective' means. I honestly don't understand the confusion...

I think you're missing the point.

The reason I said "put it into perspective" was to allow people to understand the single number you gave out.

The only number you gave was 413 acceptances. The post before you listed 150 matriculants. Now, if you have 413 acceptances out of 600 interviews like Creighton, that's great odds. Whereas if you were getting 413 acceptances out of 25,000 interviews, that would be pretty crappy.

I was just supplementing your post with more information.

Which, in the end, is what 'put into perspective' means. I honestly don't understand the confusion...
Lol I thought you were being a smartass. Clearly my radar is off tonight. It's all good

Has anyone received a rejection notice yet? I notice it's mainly interview invites here (Congrats btw! :)).

I didn't ask my LOR writers to date their letters.. am I screwed for this school? All letters have been received within the past few months but this school says that each letter has to be signed and dated, and I don't know if they did this.

I didn't ask my LOR writers to date their letters.. am I screwed for this school? All letters have been received within the past few months but this school says that each letter has to be signed and dated, and I don't know if they did this.
i think someone earlier in this thread said they got rejected because their letters are from 2010, so i think they are pretty specific to their requirements. are you absolutely sure they are not dated? your letter writers may have done it without you asking.

also once the letters get uploaded to their secondary site it will tell you if they meet requirements

gahhhh booking this flight is becoming very $$$$$, there are no direct flights out of my state

Complete 7/24 and still haven't heard anything =/

The application season has just begun. Let's not get our hopes down this early:)

Agreed. :thumbup:

Also, fantastic pic. If this doesn't work out, do you happen to have Carl Weathers' number? Feeling like the Universe is guiding me to acting as a back up...

Complete 7/24 and still haven't heard anything =/

People last year got accepted from interview dates in March and April so there is still a long ways to go. I interviewed in November and there are several other people from my interview date that were also accepted.

People are worried about being complete THREE WEEKS ago and not hearing anything...?

Seriously, please relax people...

People are worried about being complete THREE WEEKS ago and not hearing anything...?

Seriously, please relax people...

Haha it's not the fact that it's been three weeks that concerns me, but that others who've been complete later than I (and others) have heard back, whereas we have not. The same thing's happened with Boston. I've been complete for over a month but haven't heard anything, but others who became complete a couple weeks after me already started to hear back about rejections/interviews. I just wish I had some idea of what's going on.. =/

Haha it's not the fact that it's been three weeks that concerns me, but that others who've been complete later than I (and others) have heard back, whereas we have not. The same thing's happened with Boston. I've been complete for over a month but haven't heard anything, but others who became complete a couple weeks after me already started to hear back about rejections/interviews. I just wish I had some idea of what's going on.. =/

Don't worry, that's completely normal. I would bet they don't go through them chronologically. In fact, it's just as possible they go through them alphabetically, numerically, or based on home state. There are a million reasons they could go through yours or mine before someone else's, and vice versa.

The more you try to figure out the process, the more you'll realize we have no idea how they work, and you'll realize it could just as easily be completely arbitrary--a lot of it has to be. You've already gotten two interview invites, one at a highly prestigious place--just relax and let the process play itself out. You seriously do yourself no good to be so neurotic, and it makes people who have received fewer interview invites than you--even zero invites--feel pretty bad when they feel like they have to worry this early on (when they really don't). You're a qualified applicant, you're going to get a lot of attention. Just be patient.

(To put things into perspective, I was complete here nearly two weeks before you--and I have no reason to be worried... if it were November or December, I might be concerned... In past cycles, most of my interviews came several months after I was complete)

:thumbup:

EDIT: If you and I interview together or are accepted at the same school, I'm going to buy you a beer and make friendly jabs about how you were so worried...

Last edited:
Don't worry, that's completely normal. I would bet they don't go through them chronologically. In fact, it's just as possible they go through them alphabetically, numerically, or based on home state. There are a million reasons they could go through yours or mine before someone else's, and vice versa.

The more you try to figure out the process, the more you'll realize we have no idea how they work, and you'll realize it could just as easily be completely arbitrary--a lot of it has to be. You've already gotten two interview invites, one at a highly prestigious place--just relax and let the process play itself out. You seriously do yourself no good to be so neurotic, and it makes people who have received fewer interview invites than you--even zero invites--feel pretty bad when they feel like they have to worry this early on (when they really don't). You're a qualified applicant, you're going to get a lot of attention. Just be patient.

(To put things into perspective, I was complete here nearly two weeks before you--and I have no reason to be worried... if it were November or December, I might be concerned... In past cycles, most of my interviews came several months after I was complete)

:thumbup:

EDIT: If you and I interview together or are accepted at the same school, I'm going to buy you a beer and make friendly jabs about how you were so worried...

+1

I can only wish wherever I end up, I have classmates likes you. Thanks a lot :)

I'm having major issues trying to save my essays on their secondary site.. it won't even load on Safari or Firefox, and they say to use Safari with a mac... So I used Chrome but it won't save the essays... anyone with a mac have any helpful tips? Thanks in advance.

Congrats! We told you guys to not worry! What are the dates for your interviews? In August and September like the earlier interviews, or did you get new dates? Like September through October?

Thank you! I had the options of Sept 7, 14, 21, 22.

I chose the only Saturday, the 22nd! Anyone else going to be there on hat date? :)

Congrats! We told you guys to not worry! What are the dates for your interviews? In August and September like the earlier interviews, or did you get new dates? Like September through October?

Thanks! You were right.:thumbup:

Thank you! I had the options of Sept 7, 14, 21, 22.

I chose the only Saturday, the 22nd! Anyone else going to be there on hat date? :)

Same dates offered, same date selected. The biggest debate was missing out on Saturday football, but then I saw the Hawkeyes play Central Michigan on the 22nd and figured I'd be safe.:thumbup: See you there!

What dates were you guys complete?

Complete email arrived 7/9

Same dates offered, same date selected. The biggest debate was missing out on Saturday football, but then I saw the Hawkeyes play Central Michigan on the 22nd and figured I'd be safe.:thumbup: See you there!

Are you a fellow Hawkeye?!

Errantwhatever it appears we shall meet! I will be there 9/22

Status
Not open for further replies.