2019-2020 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A on Monday, around 1pm EST. It says that we have 14 days to accept the offer -- does anyone know if accepting the offer means, in their eyes, that we are committed to going there? Interviewed on 2/14, OOS. WARS 83. LizzyM 73.

no, that’s against AAMC traffic rules. You don’t have to commit until end of April

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
no, that’s against AAMC traffic rules. You don’t have to commit until end of April

No you put down a deposit to hold ur spot. This doesnt commit you to the school. PAY the deposit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
No you put down a deposit to hold ur spot. This doesnt commit you to the school. PAY the deposit!!

this, definitely pay the deposit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have a deadline to accept their offer. The deposit is $100 at each school since AAMC installed this regulation. However, paying the deposit simply guarantees your seat but does NOT commit you to the school.

For anyone accepted, how did you sign up for the second look day? I cant find it on the secondary app portal. :shrug:

I don't check this forum too often but I am a current M2 on the ADCOM. Feel free to message me with any questions you might have and I can try to answer them when I can. Best of luck to all of you future docs!

Whats the situation with the school regarding COVID? I'm on alternate and wondering if the waitlist decisions are going to come out later/if anyones even still at school thats reviewing updates and what not.

I don't check this forum too often but I am a current M2 on the ADCOM. Feel free to message me with any questions you might have and I can try to answer them when I can. Best of luck to all of you future docs!
How is anatomy at Creighton? Do we have to dissect everything or are the cadavers prosected?

Withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I accidentally deleted the email. When is second look day?

Will waitlist movement be any different due to covid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I'm an M3 at Creighton.
I was phoenix track but chose to stay Omaha.

In general it's pretty simple. Historically each entering class gets the option to select whether they'd want to be "Omaha track" or "Phoenix track" If the number of students interested in phoenix is greater than the number of spots a randomized list is formed with first X amount filling the list and subsequent students being ranked on a wait list. You have until February M2 year to decide if you'd like to keep your spot/ hear back about receiving a spot off the wait list.

Rotation requirements are the exact same with the exception that M3 electives vary slightly (Phoenix has neuroanaesthesia, and i think thats about the only difference). Otherwise both campuses have the same required number of weeks in each clinic. Administration assesses work hours / number of patients and procedural experiences to try to maintain equality between the 2 campuses but there are some variations here and there.

In theory both campuses are "the same" but there will be innate differences due to different geography/ culture / physician selection. You will perform M3 entirely at the campus you select. You will also likely perform M4 at the location you select however students have the option to do a rotation at the opposite campus if they choose too.

In omaha this means rotating at CHI Bergan (our big hospital) as well as other CHI hospitals (lakeside, immanual, etc.) the Omaha VA and Childrens hospital. Our phoenix campus historically rotated at St. Joseph's but we have since created the CU Arizona health education alliance and have expanded our clinical activities throught the maricopa integrated health system. We (Creighton) will officially have residencies through these hospital systems.

There isn't really any direct benefit / opportunity difference between the 2 campuses. Some may argue there is but other than PHX having the barrow neurological institute I still don't see any. People largely chose clinical campus based on their home location. i.e. All the people from CA, AZ, NM, etc went to phoenix. All the midwesterns (MN, NE, KS, MO, WI, etc.) stayed in omaha.

I'm going to avoid anything more specific simply because things are so influx. Our school is constantly trying to adjust our curriculum to serve our education needs and ensure we graduate excellent doctors.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer/ ask a classmate and relay the info.

Do you know when students are told which campus they are assigned to? Is it before or after the start of M1 year?

Do you know when students are told which campus they are assigned to? Is it before or after the start of M1 year?

I just emailed admissions - the lottery for PHX is taking place today and they plan to email campus assignments out tomorrow (April 15th) for students who are currently admitted. I believe that if you are not outright selected for PHX, then you will be placed on a wait list. It seems like most people who want to go to PHX end up going though! Students on my interview day said that many people change their minds throughout M1 year.

Just got the Phoenix lottery results, apparently a ton of people requested the Phoenix campus :/ For the Creighton students on here, what are the odds you'll move up the list in time to do your clerkships there? I'm around halfway down the alternate list although right now I guess there still may be some students who will commit to enroll at a different school and hopefully it will move a bit more by the end of April. Also if you're assigned to the Omaha campus, can you choose to do most of your M4 rotations in Phoenix or is there a limit?

Withdrawing my acceptance today - good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! You got this!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the Phoenix lottery results, apparently a ton of people requested the Phoenix campus :/ For the Creighton students on here, what are the odds you'll move up the list in time to do your clerkships there? I'm around halfway down the alternate list although right now I guess there still may be some students who will commit to enroll at a different school and hopefully it will move a bit more by the end of April. Also if you're assigned to the Omaha campus, can you choose to do most of your M4 rotations in Phoenix or is there a limit?

To give you an idea of the movement that occurred in the summer preceding the start of school, I was #80 on the alternate list in early April and by July I was on the list to go to Phoenix. I don't know about the magnitude of movement during the M2 year, but I heard some of the M2s saying that they were assigned to Phoenix in March of this year.

Got assigned to Phoenix and officially withdrew today. This one was hard to let go of, but I hope anyone on the PHX or general waitlist gets my spot :)

They already did the lottery for Phoenix? What if you're waitlisted and get accepted, do you automatically get shuttled into alternate list for Phoenix?

They already did the lottery for Phoenix? What if you're waitlisted and get accepted, do you automatically get shuttled into alternate list for Phoenix?

I'm assuming you go to the bottom of the WL for Phoenix.

Withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes out to one of you!!

So as an M3 I'll state my experience.
Basically the waitlist is crazy long because everyone gets the same advice, apply for the phoenix waitlist because its easier to get off the list and stay in omaha at the last minute than it is to get on the list. As someone previously said they make the list early but the movement is wild because people drop their acceptance to attend other schools. My year I was mid 50s in april/may when it was first made and I got a guaranteed spot the first week of school. Throughout the first 2 years probably 20-25 people who were on the 46 person phx list that dropped to stay in omaha. This movement is entirely class dependent. In previous year Everyone who wanted to go to Phx got on the list, this wasn't the case our year as probably 10 people or so who wanted to go to phoenix had to stay in omaha. This depends entirely on class composition and how much people from outside of omaha end up liking omaha/ develop friend groups that are predominately omaha. My class had alot of people from California/SW region and thus wanted to return to warmer weather.

Now I'll tell you in theory how things work for clinical rotations. Assuming normality, you can spend as many months in phoenix as you want during your M4 year as long as there is space. M4 rotation selection works in a Multi round lottery system (everyone ranks multiple courses and gets one course at a time added to their schedule and then has to re-rank until their schedule is full). In general I believe you have to fill up your schedule with rotations at your location. Then after the lottery ends, Add drop opens during which you can add courses from the other campus. In theory you can add a whole schedule at the other campus as long as you meet the requirements for graduation, but you also have to deal with students in the other campus having already signed up for courses. So lets say you want to go into Derm, if Phoenix Derm spots are already full from the first lottery, then you can't sign up for the rotation.

So yes you can sign up for whatever, within offering limits.

Withdrew! You are all a talented bunch and I hope one of you gets my spot. Good luck guys!

Does anyone know what date the committee is meeting to re-evaluate the waitlist?
Quoted from an email I got from Director of Admissions:
"We will be going over all alternate applicants on May 14. At this time we will go back and fill the class with students we have lost.:

Quoted from an email I got from Director of Admissions:
"We will be going over all alternate applicants on May 14. At this time we will go back and fill the class with students we have lost.:

Do you think it's weird I got the email this afternoon instead of yesterday? :unsure: sorry for the neuroticism lol

Do you think it's weird I got the email this afternoon instead of yesterday? :unsure: sorry for the neuroticism lol
I doubt it matters considering they have not even reviewed alternate list applications yet.

So I know it’s probably a form email, but did anyone else like reading this little gem in the alternate list email from a few days ago:
“We likewise continue to have great interest in you as a candidate for the Fall M1 Class.”

1588715597841.gif

Just got email regarding Medical Dean Diversity scholarship!

Has anyone heard anything about the medical dean's magis scholarship? I saw it on the Finaid second look video but there weren't too many specifics as to when M1s would hear if they got it.

Has anyone heard anything about the medical dean's magis scholarship? I saw it on the Finaid second look video but there weren't too many specifics as to when M1s would hear if they got it.
I was accepted at the end of November and found out in the middle of December that I had been awarded the Medical Dean’s Magic Scholarship, so in theory you should find out pretty soon after you’re accepted. I was informed about the scholarship prior to my financial aid package coming out.

How is everyone dealing with student loans? I nearly cried after accepting loans... Is there such things as private scholarships out there?

How is everyone dealing with student loans? I nearly cried after accepting loans... Is there such things as private scholarships out there?
At least they are 0 percent for now.

dealing? I think most of us just ignore the surmounting crushing debt until we can afford to pay them off in 8 years...

Are there private scholarships yes. Good luck getting them. You can look into HPSP which is a free ride, you just owe uncle sam. Honestly its a ton of money, but keep in mind your effectively guaranteed a job with a 6 figure income. If you are open to working in the mid west you can make 250-300+ straight out of a primary care residency. It hurts but the reality is, at what is commonly current salaries, the debt is more than manageable.

How necessary is it to have a car in the first 2 years of medschool if we live by campus? Is there a shuttle to any clinical sites for M1s and M2s?

How necessary is it to have a car in the first 2 years of medschool if we live by campus? Is there a shuttle to any clinical sites for M1s and M2s?
You get randomly assigned an ACE mentor ( usually a pcp in one of the CHI clinics) and some are up to 30 min away from the school. Mine is 15 min from the school but 30 from my apartment because I live in the other side of town. You only go there maybe every couple months I think I went like 4 time or so first year. Other than that it’s all on campus so take that for what it’s worth. I cannot imagine not havin a car in Omaha. I lived in Germany for 2 years with no car and let me tell you Omaha public transport is no Germany...

You get randomly assigned an ACE mentor ( usually a pcp in one of the CHI clinics) and some are up to 30 min away from the school. Mine is 15 min from the school but 30 from my apartment because I live in the other side of town. You only go there maybe every couple months I think I went like 4 time or so first year. Other than that it’s all on campus so take that for what it’s worth. I cannot imagine not havin a car in Omaha. I lived in Germany for 2 years with no car and let me tell you Omaha public transport is no Germany...

Get a car my dude. preferably one with AWD, Heated seats, and remote starter. As my homie said, this ain't Europe it's Midwest USA which means a car is a necessity.

As previously mentioned, Having a car/ some kind of independent transportation is crucial even during M1/M2, like most cities outside of the coasts. Do we have a public bus system? yes. But culturally no one out here wants public transport so it doesn't seem to be heavily invested in/funded. We had a classmate who used to take this but it is just so bad that they eventually just bumming rides from friends. Is there a direct shuttle to a clinical sites from Campus? Not to my knowledge and there won't be. That'd cost a ton of money for something most students don't already need/ might never use. There are bus stops but as mentioned before I guarantee your sanity is worth the car payments. You need a car for the ACE mentor/longitudinal clinic experiences during M1/M2 and will absolutely need them for M3/M4 regardless of which campus you go to since we change hospitals. There have been days were I've gone to as many as 3 hospitals on a given day because my team was covering 3 community facilities and we had to round on out patients at all facilities. Also, unless you decide to live at the Atlas (which is relatively popular amongst M1/M2 these days) you will need transportation to get to class as most students don't actually live right by campus, they choose to live by an entertainment hub i.e. downtown/midtown/ blackstone, etc. This doesn't even go into the fact of wanting transportation during the winter or just everyday to go to the store for groceries or to go to somewhere fun with your classmates (movies, Golf course/top golf, hiking, zoo, etc. )

Sooo has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yesterday or today? I know they started reviewing yesterday...

Sooo has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yesterday or today? I know they started reviewing yesterday...

I wonder if they go out by email or phonecall.

I think I remember Ryan saying at my interview that they meet on Thursdays and communicate on the following Tuesdays.

I think I remember Ryan saying at my interview that they meet on Thursdays and communicate on the following Tuesdays.

My waitlist email came on a friday tho