2012-2013 Dartmouth Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Withdrew today as well... I liked the school but nothing can compete with Mayo...

Members don't see this ad.

is today the day everyone needs to drop all schools but one?
15 th May is officially the first day of 'late May' right? Did anybody get any good news?

Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my acceptance from this amazing school a week ago. It was tough to let it go but factors that went into my decision were the location, weather, small hospital. Otherwise, it's a great school with a beautiful campus, and great culture. Best of luck for those on the waitlist!

is today the day everyone needs to drop all schools but one?
15 th May is officially the first day of 'late May' right? Did anybody get any good news?

I think late may for them is like the 28th since they take Canadians and their drop date is different if I recall correctly

Does anyone know when orientation/first week of classes are?

I think late may for them is like the 28th since they take Canadians and their drop date is different if I recall correctly

Where did you hear that? I don't think there's that many Canadian interviewees that they'd delay everyone just for them. On my day I think there was 1 Canadian.

Hey guys,

ACCEPTED OFF THE WAIT LIST TODAY!

Definitely some movement after May 15th. I interviewed way back in September. Expressing interest really helps out. Still in shock. I thought the application cycle was over for me.

Good luck to all of you :)

Hey guys,

Definitely some movement after May 15th. I interviewed way back in September. Expressing interest really helps out. Still in shock. I thought the application cycle was over for me.

congrats. Guess its moving. Mad jealous I loved this place. Hopefully it will move some next week.

I think I fell too much in love with this place :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Congrats! Was it by email or phone??

congrats. Guess its moving. Mad jealous I loved this place. Hopefully it will move some next week.

I think I fell too much in love with this place :(

Srsly, I feel like I have a crush that just won't like me back. :(

Congrats. When were you waitlisted? thanks

Hey guys,

Congrats. When were you waitlisted? thanks

I was waitlisted March 28th. I told them to keep considering me, that I was really interested. However, I also started preparing myself for the worst and in a way "distanced" myself from the process.

Post-interview and prior to my waitlist I had sent a couple of letters of interest along with an extra letter of recommendation.

Flash forward to today and I get a call. Between my waitlist date and today I sent them nothing.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. Happy to help.

EDIT: It was by phone! One of the more intense phone convos I've ever had!

I was waitlisted March 28th. I told them to keep considering me, that I was really interested. However, I also started preparing myself for the worst and in a way "distanced" myself from the process.

Post-interview and prior to my waitlist I had sent a couple of letters of interest along with an extra letter of recommendation.

Flash forward to today and I get a call. Between my waitlist date and today I sent them nothing.

Mad jelly brah. Lets hope some more people withdraw and we get great news Monday. Only thing we can do is wait. :(

Anyone know if there will continue to be waitlist movement? I've written and called many times but no luck. Extremely discouraging. :thumbdown:

Anyone know if there will continue to be waitlist movement? I've written and called many times but no luck. Extremely discouraging. :thumbdown:

I'd assume no waitlist movement will occur until monday. Gonna be a long weekend lol

Tempted to write a letter of intent at this point. Will it do any help this late?

Tempted to write a letter of intent at this point. Will it do any help this late?

I think its safe to say it wont hurt. At this point, Andy has a pile of waitlisters on his desk, and they're not in any particular order. If this is your dream school, make sure he knows it - if it moves your app to the top of the pile, thats a good thing. If it's not your dream school and you are waiting on another school that you would choose over Dartmouth, I'd say its probably unethical to write a letter of intent. So from there, use your best judgement- good luck!

I think its safe to say it wont hurt. At this point, Andy has a pile of waitlisters on his desk, and they're not in any particular order. If this is your dream school, make sure he knows it - if it moves your app to the top of the pile, thats a good thing. If it's not your dream school and you are waiting on another school that you would choose over Dartmouth, I'd say its probably unethical to write a letter of intent. So from there, use your best judgement- good luck!

Isn't there an order? The longer u stayed on the waitlist didn't that mean u scored better?

Isn't there an order? The longer u stayed on the waitlist didn't that mean u scored better?

I think they said on interview day that the "batting average" is no longer relevant after waitlist movement starts. I'm not sure though, it may have been some other school but it sounds like Dartmouth.

I think they said on interview day that the "batting average" is no longer relevant after waitlist movement starts. I'm not sure though, it may have been some other school but it sounds like Dartmouth.

Yep, thats us.

Congratulations! Did they ask you questioned when they called? Thanks!

Congratulations! Did they ask you questioned when they called? Thanks!

Hey thank you!

The main question they asked is if I was still interested. Other than that, it was a pretty quick convo. I was in too much shock to say much.

For those wondering if a letter of intent would be a good idea at this point..I'd say go for it. He explicitly mentioned that the degree of interest I had expressed in the school was a big reason for their calling me.

Hey thank you!

The main question they asked is if I was still interested. Other than that, it was a pretty quick convo. I was in too much shock to say much.

For those wondering if a letter of intent would be a good idea at this point..I'd say go for it. He explicitly mentioned that the degree of interest I had expressed in the school was a big reason for their calling me.

Oh dear, time to bring out the old typewriter.

Haha~ Thanks! I have been emailing to the general admission email. Should I email the director directly? Thanks!

Hey thank you!

Haha~ Thanks! I have been emailing to the general admission email. Should I email the director directly? Thanks!

Don't email directly!!! Use the normal channels or risk rubbing people the wrong way

Congrats!!!!

CALL ME DIR. WELCH!!! PLEEASSEEEEE.....

Last edited:
Congrats to all those that have been accepted or even got on the waitlist to this amazing school. I'm planning to apply this upcoming cycle and Dartmouth is my dream school. My science gpa is mediocre and I'm still waiting on MCAT scores, but it would be really encouraging if some of you could post any advice specifically for Dartmouth or any success stories of a lower gpa or mcat combined with any unique experiences that you felt helped you get accepted. Thanks and congrats again!

Congrats to all those that have been accepted or even got on the waitlist to this amazing school. I'm planning to apply this upcoming cycle and Dartmouth is my dream school. My science gpa is mediocre and I'm still waiting on MCAT scores, but it would be really encouraging if some of you could post any advice specifically for Dartmouth or any success stories of a lower gpa or mcat combined with any unique experiences that you felt helped you get accepted. Thanks and congrats again!

i don't think any of us know the secrets to this process besides have a 4.0/40 and be the world's most interesting/likeable man/woman. Also have a specific reason that doesn't apply to any other school why you want to go to Dartmouth. There has to be something specific to Geisel that you write about in applications.

A friend of mine was accepted off the wait list today. Just wanted you all to be aware of more wait list movement.

This may be what you are looking for!

MCAT: 32R (11, 11, 10)
GPA: 3.5///3.5
Psychology major.
URM (Hispanic)

Freshmen Year: I started off at my local university. Made great grades here but did nothing else besides play WoW. No shadowing. No leadership. Nothing. Ended up transferring to a better state school after that first year.

Sophomore Year: The new school tore me a new one but I worked hard and did fairly well (not well by SDN standards I’m sure, but hey something worked).

Junior Year: First significant girl friend saw my grades drop during the second semester. Made a C in OChem II. Needless to say, I was freaking out and slapping myself.

Senior Year: At this point, I’m worried about even getting into med school. The Fall was my last full-time semester. I worked really hard to make it happen and I rocked it. During the Spring I got my last premed prereq (Physics II) out of the way at the local community college and studied for the MCAT. 3 months of monk-like studying to try and make up for my grades. Note: I used SN2ed’s guide to the MCAT with great success.

I submitted my applications at the end of July. (Earlier would have been better but sometimes letter of recommendation writers really take their time).

ECs: Led study groups for biochem, president of psych club, psych research, general neuro research, shadowing, hospital volunteer, and VERY passionate about my hobbies. Currently, I am working in a Parkinson’s disease lab.

Recommendation letters: 1) close psych prof 2) biochem prof 3) orthopedic surgeon 4) my boss during my first basic science research gig 5) AFTER I interviewed I sent in an extra letter from the PI at my current research position.

So what made all of this work for me? In a pool of thousands of overly qualified applicants, the personal statement really is a great way to make yourself stand out. Everyone is going to explain that they want to help people, that they had a family member with some disease, and that they love science. Almost everything has been said and done, but there is ALWAYS a way to look at the same thing from a different perspective. I took what appeared to be a mundane topic and brought it to life by applying it to all the things that defined me. I told them, “Look, I think life is such an incredible experience, and I’m looking for something special out of it, and in everything I do I seek meaning. For me, the next logical step is becoming a doctor.”

I’ve left a lot of stuff concerning my personal statement vague on purpose. I’m sorry if I rambled. You can pick out the stuff that helps you the most. I will say that this approach yielded many interviews at schools that I could have only dreamed of (Dartmouth included).

I think the moral of the story here is to really take some time to think about who you are as a person and why you are applying to medical school. Don’t be afraid to dig deep.

Once you get the interview go in there with confidence and rock it. Afterwards? Express interest. I wrote them a couple of love letters letting them know how much I loved the school and why I’d fit in. I had to suffer through the agony of the waitlist but it all paid off.

I feel really lucky to be in my situation and I'd love to give back by helping other people get through this process.

tl;dr Work your hardest, learn from your mistakes, apply broadly, and you’ll exceed your expectations.

This may be what you are looking for!

MCAT: 32R (11, 11, 10)
GPA: 3.5///3.5
Psychology major.
URM (Hispanic)

Freshmen Year: I started off at my local university. Made great grades here but did nothing else besides play WoW. No shadowing. No leadership. Nothing. Ended up transferring to a better state school after that first year.

Sophomore Year: The new school tore me a new one but I worked hard and did fairly well (not well by SDN standards I’m sure, but hey something worked).

Junior Year: First significant girl friend saw my grades drop during the second semester. Made a C in OChem II. Needless to say, I was freaking out and slapping myself.

Senior Year: At this point, I’m worried about even getting into med school. The Fall was my last full-time semester. I worked really hard to make it happen and I rocked it. During the Spring I got my last premed prereq (Physics II) out of the way at the local community college and studied for the MCAT. 3 months of monk-like studying to try and make up for my grades. Note: I used SN2ed’s guide to the MCAT with great success.

I submitted my applications at the end of July. (Earlier would have been better but sometimes letter of recommendation writers really take their time).

ECs: Led study groups for biochem, president of psych club, psych research, general neuro research, shadowing, hospital volunteer, and VERY passionate about my hobbies. Currently, I am working in a Parkinson’s disease lab.

Recommendation letters: 1) close psych prof 2) biochem prof 3) orthopedic surgeon 4) my boss during my first basic science research gig 5) AFTER I interviewed I sent in an extra letter from the PI at my current research position.

So what made all of this work for me? In a pool of thousands of overly qualified applicants, the personal statement really is a great way to make yourself stand out. Everyone is going to explain that they want to help people, that they had a family member with some disease, and that they love science. Almost everything has been said and done, but there is ALWAYS a way to look at the same thing from a different perspective. I took what appeared to be a mundane topic and brought it to life by applying it to all the things that defined me. I told them, “Look, I think life is such an incredible experience, and I’m looking for something special out of it, and in everything I do I seek meaning. For me, the next logical step is becoming a doctor.”

I’ve left a lot of stuff concerning my personal statement vague on purpose. I’m sorry if I rambled. You can pick out the stuff that helps you the most. I will say that this approach yielded many interviews at schools that I could have only dreamed of (Dartmouth included).

I think the moral of the story here is to really take some time to think about who you are as a person and why you are applying to medical school. Don’t be afraid to dig deep.

Once you get the interview go in there with confidence and rock it. Afterwards? Express interest. I wrote them a couple of love letters letting them know how much I loved the school and why I’d fit in. I had to suffer through the agony of the waitlist but it all paid off.

I feel really lucky to be in my situation and I'd love to give back by helping other people get through this process.

tl;dr Work your hardest, learn from your mistakes, apply broadly, and you’ll exceed your expectations.

sounds a lot like my app.

tbh I killed my one faculty interview and I think I messed up my interview with andy. Oh well wish I had a second chance at that interview lol.

I hope there will still be some waitlist movement! I want to go here so much!

Hey everyone!

I was accepted off the wait list today! Don't give up hope, I sure had!!!!

Thanks! Yes Andy called me around 4pm today and I was wait listed in February (interviewed way back in September) so I was waiting a LONG time. I did send a letter of interest after receiving the wait list follow-up email.

Hi, does anyone know when orientation and first day of classes are? Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.