2012-2013 Dartmouth Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, have any of you gotten your financial aid package yet? How long is it supposed to take? Thanks!
Have you turned in all the required forms (FAFSA, Need Access, Fed Tax Returns, etc.)? If so, then the turn around should be fairly quick according to the financial aid office. However, when I spoke with them last week, they said that they did not yet have a list of admitted students so it was not possible to provide any time estimates or detailed information about when financial aid packages may be released.
 
Have you turned in all the required forms (FAFSA, Need Access, Fed Tax Returns, etc.)? If so, then the turn around should be fairly quick according to the financial aid office. However, when I spoke with them last week, they said that they did not yet have a list of admitted students so it was not possible to provide any time estimates or detailed information about when financial aid packages may be released.

Yep. I even included schools that I haven't heard back from in the FAFSA, just so it's ready when it's needed.
 
Also waitlisted today. Interviewed early March. Really hoping there is some movement this year!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep, I'm praying for a huge ~25 of those waitlisted to get in the class. Last year they overenrolled with no movement at all. Maybe this year they were conservative in their acceptances 🙂
 
Geisel's class is supposed to be around 90 people, correct? That's what I've heard/seen in the MSAR online. According to the Facebook group I found, there are only 43 members, 11 of whom appear to be current DMS/Geisel students. So, 32 are likely planning to attend, so they really must have a lot of acceptances to still go out (at least 60)! Other Facebook groups for the MD Classes of 2017 have 100-200+ people. Can they tell at this point in the application cycle where else you've been accepted before they decide whether to admit you? What's the rule for that? Oh man I can't imagine waiting this long next year 🙁 I'm just starting my personal statement and I might not hear from Dartmouth for another YEAR from now!! 🙁
 
Geisel's class is supposed to be around 90 people, correct? That's what I've heard/seen in the MSAR online. According to the Facebook group I found, there are only 43 members, 11 of whom appear to be current DMS/Geisel students. So, 32 are likely planning to attend, so they really must have a lot of acceptances to still go out (at least 60)! Other Facebook groups for the MD Classes of 2017 have 100-200+ people. Can they tell at this point in the application cycle where else you've been accepted before they decide whether to admit you? What's the rule for that? Oh man I can't imagine waiting this long next year 🙁 I'm just starting my personal statement and I might not hear from Dartmouth for another YEAR from now!! 🙁

Yup, it's true torture. You need hobbies and things to keep you from this god forsaken website.
 
Yes they can now see where you have been accepted.


This statement describes specific uses of personal information as it pertains to AMCAS
applicants and medical students. The AAMC disseminates application information to
medical schools to which you have applied. The AAMC also shares acceptance
information across schools in order to assist medical schools' adherence to AAMC
recommendations. This acceptance data is shared as follows:
• Beginning in February of each year, a medical school that has accepted you can
view the other school or schools that have accepted you, if applicable.
• Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools
that have accepted you, even if you have not yet been accepted by the medical
school.


Geisel's class is supposed to be around 90 people, correct? That's what I've heard/seen in the MSAR online. According to the Facebook group I found, there are only 43 members, 11 of whom appear to be current DMS/Geisel students. So, 32 are likely planning to attend, so they really must have a lot of acceptances to still go out (at least 60)! Other Facebook groups for the MD Classes of 2017 have 100-200+ people. Can they tell at this point in the application cycle where else you've been accepted before they decide whether to admit you? What's the rule for that? Oh man I can't imagine waiting this long next year 🙁 I'm just starting my personal statement and I might not hear from Dartmouth for another YEAR from now!! 🙁
 
Do you think that being accepted by other schools affects Dartmouth's decisions positively or negatively? Also, can they see which schools rejected/waitlisted you?
 
Do you think that being accepted by other schools affects Dartmouth's decisions positively or negatively? Also, can they see which schools rejected/waitlisted you?

Probably depends on which school. If you're accepted at Harvard then they're probably wasting their time, but if you're accepted at St. George's then you'd probably choose Dartmouth.
 
Probably depends on which school. If you're accepted at Harvard then they're probably wasting their time, but if you're accepted at St. George's then you'd probably choose Dartmouth.

hmmm...but what if you're one of the weirdos that would prefer living in Hanover to Cambridge? Does this mean you should not apply to any schools that are considered "better" than your top choice? 😛🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the attached PDF, it says that they will be sending an email in the spring asking if you want to remain on the waiting list, so I am guessing that that email will come later this month or in May.
 
is dartmouth done with acceptances? did they even say when we all should hear back by?

I think within the next 2 weeks, almost all decisions will be sent out. In last year's thread, those that were waitlisted were sent a "Do you wish to Continue" e-mail on 4/26. At that point, I believe all acceptances will be sent out.

Then again, things may be slightly different this year (to avoid another overenrollment/no waitlist movement like last year).
 
Last edited:
I think within the next 2 weeks, almost all decisions will be sent out. In last year's thread, those that were waitlisted were sent a "Do you wish to Continue" e-mail on 4/26. At this point, I believe all acceptances were sent out.

Then again, things may be slightly different this year (to avoid another overenrollment/no waitlist movement like last year).

Strange, very few people got accepted in this thread compared to the other years.
 
I think within the next 2 weeks, almost all decisions will be sent out. In last year's thread, those that were waitlisted were sent a "Do you wish to Continue" e-mail on 4/26. At this point, I believe all acceptances were sent out.

Then again, things may be slightly different this year (to avoid another overenrollment/no waitlist movement like last year).

I highly doubt all acceptances have been given out already. I think this is just a reflection of their prudence this time around.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just waitlisted. I wish waitlisting wasn't an option- I want to know if I got in or not, not spend more months in limbo. Oh well.
 
...and wait listed, finally. Interviewed back in late October. Email came around 3pm (eastern) today. Bummed, but the tragedy in Boston really puts everything in perspective. I hope that anyone here that's in the city is safe.
 
Thanks for the info. so even after being waitlisted, there is over 90% chance of rejection (20 max accepted off waitlist). there is still hope.. just very little I guess:xf:

Well, let's say that they have 20 spots to fill off the waitlist. They're going to need to accept more than 20 people from the list because not everyone they accept is going end up coming to Dartmouth. Being on the list is neither a sure thing nor is it an automatic rejection. Some years there is a lot of movement off of the waitlist; other years, not so much.
 
about how many weeks did people wait after completion to get fin aid award letters? thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am seriously considering Dartmouth, but I see a lot of Dartmouth bashing in some of the other trends, such as: lack of patient diversity (mostly white, rich people), isolated with limited social life, having limited spots for away rotations with associated issues of having to move and not so good housing situation, older facilities (equipments, classroom, buildings), outdated curriculum, etc. etc. etc. Some of these things do not agree with the positive impression I have of Dartmouth from the interview weekend and from my own research. For example, DHMC gets most of the referrals north of Boston, so we should get to see some fairly interesting cases. Also, the rural setting offers some pretty cool outdoors activity possibilities. Additionally, all the students and faculty I met seem really nice and happy about DMS. I have not heard too much on SDN from current DMS students (probably a plus), but can some come out to address these points and discuss the real advantages and disadvantages of DMS from a first hand experience. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.