2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted last week after being wait listed at the end of January. The timing seemed unusual- waitlist for ~ 3 weeks then an acceptance. Surprised but very pleased.

Congrats. Guess I should get my update letter in just in case they are checking the waitlist periodically.
 
I just called and found out I'm in the middle tier of the wait list. I'm not really sure what to make of that but I can't say I like my chances. Already sent an update letter last week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you send an LOI or update letter? Congrats!

No- which makes it that much more unexpected. I got the letter placing me on the waitlist and called to find out I was in the top third and that they usually begin pulling people from the list in late April or early May. Then the acceptance packet came this past week. I sent no updates or LOI at any point in the process.
 
So I lost the paper with my interviewers name on it and I want to send a thank you note. Should I call the admissions department?
 
Is EVMS receptive to letters of interest and updates PRE-interview?
If so, who should it be addressed to? Dead or admissions office?
 
Interview Invite for March! Does anyone have any advice for the interview?

OOS
Complete ~September

remember to keep your cool. EVMS sometimes does more "stress" interviews, which can be intimidating with 3 people staring you down. Other than that, remember to mention the stuff that makes the school special such as the huge emphasis on standardized patients and such.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding tips for the interview, it's not really different from any other one-on-one interview.

The panel can seem intimidating, but right after I sat down on the hot seat I took breath and calmed down and it turned out to be one of my best interviews. Answer everything honestly and be enthusiastic about the school. For example, I emphasized my interest in the Norfolk community (really awesome place) and the community-oriented focus and feel of EVMS, which I thought was very unique. If you get hit with ethical questions (99% chance you will), calm your wits, think it through (they probably appreciate you put thought into it), and just give your best answer with some good backup reasoning. Even if they press you, don't fold under pressure b/c it's likely just a test. If you give them a well-thought out answer and defend your position, then you did well b/c there's no right or wrong. Really, the experience was the exact opposite of a pressure-cooker for me and I had a ton of fun during the panel. I interviewed with three older physician dudes and although 2/3 looked at me very sternly during the interview, it was really all a show by the end of the interview. The guys took their turns asking me questions and I would address each of them one by one while still giving my attention to all three. It also helps a lot to smile and act like a normal, personable human being even though you're in the middle of what seems like an intimidating experience - I think they are looking for this quality of calmness from their interviewees.

Sending a thank you note when you get home is also very important. I could tell it went well b/c one of the guys replied to my thank you note and almost gave away my acceptance.

tl;dr - it's fine to be nervous but just calm yourself down...you're not there to get grilled so just think through your answers, act normally, be enthusiastic, and enjoy yourself. It's your opportunity to showcase how awesome you are and how you would fit into their school.
 
hey guys!! i got an interview here for march 6th! wooo! one question..has anyone else tried to fill out the form for housing with a student there for your interview? Whenever i fill it out it keeps saying timed out...
 
hey guys!! i got an interview here for march 6th! wooo! one question..has anyone else tried to fill out the form for housing with a student there for your interview? Whenever i fill it out it keeps saying timed out...

Congrats! The same thing keeps happening to me, I'll probably call about it next week.
 
hey all, new to this thread. interviewed january 11 and this school really impressed me. i only had 2 ppl interview me, and i sorta directed the conversation about my strengths and the school. didnt get any ethical questions and it was a fun interview for me, talked about some infectious disease cases that were rly cool and my volunteer work/ dealing with infectious disease. they waitlisted me top 1/3 though 🙁 rly go excited about this school too.
 
hey guys, I was looking through earlier parts of the thread and didn't see anything about what the best way to get from norfolk airport to the EVMS campus is...what are you guys planning on doing? Also from the hotels to the campus..
 
hey all, new to this thread. interviewed january 11 and this school really impressed me. i only had 2 ppl interview me, and i sorta directed the conversation about my strengths and the school. didnt get any ethical questions and it was a fun interview for me, talked about some infectious disease cases that were rly cool and my volunteer work/ dealing with infectious disease. they waitlisted me top 1/3 though 🙁 rly go excited about this school too.
Top third is good. EVMS waitlist gets a lot of movement come mid-to-late May.
 
hey all, new to this thread. interviewed january 11 and this school really impressed me. i only had 2 ppl interview me, and i sorta directed the conversation about my strengths and the school. didnt get any ethical questions and it was a fun interview for me, talked about some infectious disease cases that were rly cool and my volunteer work/ dealing with infectious disease. they waitlisted me top 1/3 though 🙁 rly go excited about this school too.

EVMS's top 1/3 waitlist is roughly 100 people in size, half of it is OOS.
EVMS sends 161 acceptances to OOS students and of the 161 accepted, 70 enrolled.
Your chances are good! Good luck!:luck::luck:
 
EVMS's top 1/3 waitlist is roughly 100 people in size, half of it is OOS.
EVMS sends 161 acceptances to OOS students and of the 161 accepted, 70 enrolled.
Your chances are good! Good luck!:luck::luck:

but also keep in mind that the tiers are tentative, as the school does more interview till the end of March...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EVMS's top 1/3 waitlist is roughly 100 people in size, half of it is OOS.
EVMS sends 161 acceptances to OOS students and of the 161 accepted, 70 enrolled.
Your chances are good! Good luck!:luck::luck:

Where did you find the info on the number of people in the top 1/3 waitlist? It looks like the IS waitlist movement is fairly good, too, since USNWR says EVMS accepted 167 and 71 enrolled.
 
I hope so. Almost everyone here who've been waitlisted has said they were in the top tier. I hope some of them were lying.

From going through old threads, there were definitely people who got in off the second tier of the wait list.
 
I hope so. Almost everyone here who've been waitlisted has said they were in the top tier. I hope some of them were lying.

It's just self-selecting bias. People on the middle and lower tiers are more likely to not publicly post their ranking at all. I talked to the admissions office a few days ago and they said no tier is larger than the others.
 
Is ORF the only airport near EVSM? How much is the cab fare from the airport to the hotels nearby? Also, which hotel do you guys recommend? I was thinking of booking with the Sheraton but they don't have free wifi (really?) according to their website.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had my interview on 02/08 and received a wait-list via the mail yesterday 03/25. I called today and found out I'm in the top 1/3 tier (awesome!). Looking forward to the movement to begin in early May. I really liked this school.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.