2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It wouldn't make sense to call it "thirds" if the list isnt in fact separated in thirds. Should also keep in mind that not everyone uses sdn, and even if they do, im sure some people are reluctant to post bottom third.

It's been reported multiple times that the EVMS office said that not all thirds are even. They also said things to the contrary but I still believe that the top 1/3 is a gigantic group.
 
I called in last week and was told that you dont change tiers that I was still top tier but I shouldn't expect to hear back from them for a long time if at all. I feel like top tier must be huge then.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been reported multiple times that the EVMS office said that not all thirds are even. They also said things to the contrary but I still believe that the top 1/3 is a gigantic group.

Yeah, I agree. They specifically said that all "thirds" were not equal.

I wish they would rename the "thirds." I'm imagining it like top (50%), middle (25%), bottom (25%), based on the huge number of SDN people who are in the top "third."
 
I called in last week and was told that you dont change tiers that I was still top tier but I shouldn't expect to hear back from them for a long time if at all. I feel like top tier must be huge then.

was told something similar when I called in earlier this week....F*** that. I wasted so much time writing update letters to EVMS 😡😡
 
was told something similar when I called in earlier this week....F*** that. I wasted so much time writing update letters to EVMS 😡😡

Well they don't pull people evenly (middle/bottom get in as well) so I guess they do re-review people "holistically" or some bull**** like that. I submitted a big LOI to them, let's hope our efforts are not lost. 😀
 
So they seriously don't reject anyone then. They interview 600-650 people, and as of March 30th they had to accept 145 per AMCAS rules. If the WL has 500 people on it, then they literally did not reject a single person they interviewed.

That's pretty mean and frustrating really. It's hard to plan for the future when they give you hope like that.

If a girl treated me like this, I'd call her out on it and leave with at least a small piece of dignity. I can't do that to EVMS. This application process has taken away all of my dignity.
 
So they seriously don't reject anyone then. They interview 600-650 people, and as of March 30th they had to accept 145 per AMCAS rules. If the WL has 500 people on it, then they literally did not reject a single person they interviewed.

That's pretty mean and frustrating really. It's hard to plan for the future when they give you hope like that.

If a girl treated me like this, I'd call her out on it and leave with at least a small piece of dignity. I can't do that to EVMS. This application process has taken away all of my dignity.

Completely agree. I also find it completely disingenuous when at an interview, they will say things like "See you at Second Look," or "You're definitely going to get in here" -- both of which I heard at my interview. I'm so frustrated because if there's a problem or at least an indication that I will be waitlisted/rejected rather than accepted, I'd prefer to hear something that's genuine, to at least help me consider my next steps. (As someone who's now sitting on 2 waitlists and who has 0 acceptances). :'(

But we've just got to keep going. Hopefully something will work out for us.
 
Completely agree. I also find it completely disingenuous when at an interview, they will say things like "See you at Second Look," or "You're definitely going to get in here" -- both of which I heard at my interview. I'm so frustrated because if there's a problem or at least an indication that I will be waitlisted/rejected rather than accepted, I'd prefer to hear something that's genuine, to at least help me consider my next steps. (As someone who's now sitting on 2 waitlists and who has 0 acceptances). :'(

But we've just got to keep going. Hopefully something will work out for us.

Just wait till you read about residency interviews. Apparently every program tells candidates they're bound to match, they make an excellent candidate, etc, and then they don't get picked. Lying is apparently a huge part of the medical training process.
 
yeah, sent in letter of intent/update/new mcat scores from march.. cause it might just come down to reapplying. aghhhh. (let's hope not). retaking mcat was painful enough.
 
For fellow students on the waitlist at EVMS -- did you all already apply for financial aid? I am waitlisted at EVMS and another school and thought that the financial process was only applicable upon acceptance, but I just read that FAFSA and the EVMS financial aid forms were perhaps due earlier???? Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Thank you -- would definitely appreciate any help/clarification about this.
 
For fellow students on the waitlist at EVMS -- did you all already apply for financial aid? I am waitlisted at EVMS and another school and thought that the financial process was only applicable upon acceptance, but I just read that FAFSA and the EVMS financial aid forms were perhaps due earlier???? Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Thank you -- would definitely appreciate any help/clarification about this.

I'm pretty sure if you're accepted after their financial aid deadline, they'll give you some extra time (possibly a week or two) to complete their paperwork. You can, however, submit your Fafsa to them anytime.
 
For fellow students on the waitlist at EVMS -- did you all already apply for financial aid? I am waitlisted at EVMS and another school and thought that the financial process was only applicable upon acceptance, but I just read that FAFSA and the EVMS financial aid forms were perhaps due earlier???? Does anyone have any advice regarding this? Thank you -- would definitely appreciate any help/clarification about this.

The paperwork which I received from EVMS when I interviewed says to fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible, even if you haven't heard from the admissions department. Secondly, it says that as soon as you are accepted OR waitlisted to fill out the institutional financial aid form.

I'm on the waitlist, and I have already submitted both my FAFSA and their aid form.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted on 4/22. Sent in LOI on 4/23. I called them today to ask about the financial aid application. I was informed that I was accepted off the waitlist and that they are sending the letter out. 😀
 
Waitlisted on 4/22. Sent in LOI on 4/23. I called them today to ask about the financial aid application. I was informed that I was accepted off the waitlist and that they are sending the letter out. 😀

Oh wow, thats awesome. Congrats
 
Anyone have any idea what kind of scholarships are being offered at EVMS? Are they pretty good about need-based scholarships?
 
Anyone have any idea what kind of scholarships are being offered at EVMS? Are they pretty good about need-based scholarships?

They're all listed on their financial aid website...there are 20 or so need based ones if I recall and a few other diversity and interest based ones.
 
How was the second look weekend? Any feedback from people who went on what their experiences were?

May 15 is closing in and have not seen much waitlist movement at EVMS or on any other boards yet? I have scanned a few (Drexel, Temple) and all are pretty silent. Calm before the storm or it is all done?
 
Last edited:
May 15 is closing in and have not seen much waitlist movement at EVMS or on any other boards yet? I have scanned a few (Drexel, Temple) and all are pretty silent. Calm before the storm or it is all done?

It hasn't even come yet, May 15 is when significant movement starts.
 
Did anyone ever figured out the size of the top 1/3? Called today and they wouldn't tell me 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The WL is around 500.

EDIT: He said it may seem like a big number now, but a lot of people withdraw from the WL as they get accepted elsewhere.
 
Should we send EVMS our official transcript with the spring grades or wait until we're accepted?
 
Would there be any chance they might call students and notify that they are off the waitlist, instead of sending letters? My whole family needs to go out of country for about a month, so I was just wondering... Any idea? suggestion?
 
They usually don't call if you get off the waitlist, but I think if you call them once in a while and explain your situation they'll probably tell you over the phone.
 
Did everyone get that 'continued interest' email? I assume it doesn't mean anything since I called yesterday and am still on the wait list.
 
also got it. did everyone get it? did you guys send them updates? just trying to figure out if this means we might hear soon.
 
I got it too. For some reason, the way it was worded was not encouraging, but maybe I'm reading into it too much.
 
I got it too. For some reason, the way it was worded was not encouraging, but maybe I'm reading into it too much.

I hate it when they put in 'best wishes for the future.' That's the ending to most rejection letters I've received.

I think it's just a generic email sent to everyone on the alternate list, but I did get excited for a moment.
 
Making offers to people who don't accept them are bad for a school's stats. They want to make as few of those as possible, so are hoping this will lessen the number of people whom they offer too, but who choose to go elsewhere.
 
Do they communicate with each other at EVMS? The email said to notify them if your current address changes but also reply if you want to be taken off. So instead of hitting the reply button, I emailed Kerry Jones about how I won't be at my current address and she told me to go to AMCAS and change it there...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apparently I'm around the bottom of the top 1/3... Any chance for me?

I'm in the middle to bottom of the top 1/3, and I'm not quite sure either. Since they said that people from all tiers are accepted (meaning that it's not always the case that someone from the top 1/3 would be accepted before someone from the middle 1/3), I think that it might be ok?? But there are around 500 people on the WL, so who knows?
 
Apparently I'm around the bottom of the top 1/3... Any chance for me?

I'm in the middle to bottom of the top 1/3, and I'm not quite sure either. Since they said that people from all tiers are accepted (meaning that it's not always the case that someone from the top 1/3 would be accepted before someone from the middle 1/3), I think that it might be ok?? But there are around 500 people on the WL, so who knows?

How do you guys find out where you are on the top 1/3? Every time I call, they refuse to tell me.
 
i've called several times and they refuse to tell me what part of the top 1/3 i'm in. maybe i can just assume im not in top bottom 1/3 since every body whose been told where they are located in the top 1/3 seem to be there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.