2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man thats around when I interviewed :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared: I didn't think my interview here went that great either. I'm probably next in line for a rejection e-mail 🙁

yikes, was there something about the school or interviewers that made you two feel uncomfortable? Or was it just nerves?
My interview w/ EVMS next week will be my first, so I'm starting to get anxious. :scared:
 
yikes, was there something about the school or interviewers that made you two feel uncomfortable? Or was it just nerves?
My interview w/ EVMS next week will be my first, so I'm starting to get anxious. :scared:
The interviewers made me feel uncomfortable (not the student, but the other two). They didn't show any facial cues or body language as I was responding, and in general it just didn't feel like a friendly environment. There were long, awkward pauses after I would give an answer. Sometimes I even wondered whether one of the guys was listening to me at all. In fact, he asked me a question that I had already been asked because I'm pretty sure he just wasn't paying attention when I answered it the first time. I felt like they were judging me rather than wanting to get to know me, which is not how it has been in the other interviews I have had. I definitely felt nervous as a result of this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh wow. Maybe it was a test? To see if students could get over this, expressionless and apathetic interviewer, and reach out and somehow impress them and make it last?

The interviewers made me feel uncomfortable (not the student, but the other two). They didn't show any facial cues or body language as I was responding, and in general it just didn't feel like a friendly environment. There were long, awkward pauses after I would give an answer. Sometimes I even wondered whether one of the guys was listening to me at all. In fact, he asked me a question that I had already been asked because I'm pretty sure he just wasn't paying attention when I answered it the first time. I felt like they were judging me rather than wanting to get to know me, which is not how it has been in the other interviews I have had. I definitely felt nervous as a result of this.
 
The interviewers made me feel uncomfortable (not the student, but the other two). They didn't show any facial cues or body language as I was responding, and in general it just didn't feel like a friendly environment. There were long, awkward pauses after I would give an answer. Sometimes I even wondered whether one of the guys was listening to me at all. In fact, he asked me a question that I had already been asked because I'm pretty sure he just wasn't paying attention when I answered it the first time. I felt like they were judging me rather than wanting to get to know me, which is not how it has been in the other interviews I have had. I definitely felt nervous as a result of this.

it really is kind of a stress interview. i had a slightly hostile interviewer as well - i definitely felt like i was being judged and almost mocked for a while. eventually he came around and was nodding and smiling as i was responding. then he proceeded to aggressively argue with me over an ethical dilemma. luckily, my other interviewer was the nicest, cutest lady i've ever met and knew when to step in and save me 😛
 
Top 1/3rd for me too. Interviewed 9/21. I was told there is significant movement from the waitlist next year so I haven't given up hope yet.
 
Top 1/3 waitlist for me too, interviewed around the end of September, OOS. The waiting never seems to end! Does anyone know if EVMS is reception to letters of interest? And is there any chance of getting off the waitlist before spring?
 
Fall grade hold. Understandable but sucks.

Anyone know potential odds of interviews following this?
 
Interviewed here today. Loved the school and tour. Interview went extremely well, but I prepared very well for it in advance. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
 
The interviewers made me feel uncomfortable (not the student, but the other two). They didn't show any facial cues or body language as I was responding, and in general it just didn't feel like a friendly environment. There were long, awkward pauses after I would give an answer. Sometimes I even wondered whether one of the guys was listening to me at all. In fact, he asked me a question that I had already been asked because I'm pretty sure he just wasn't paying attention when I answered it the first time. I felt like they were judging me rather than wanting to get to know me, which is not how it has been in the other interviews I have had. I definitely felt nervous as a result of this.

This is really similar to my interview experience as well.. EVMS was definitely.. Interesting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. Best of luck to everyone else that is w/l or has yet to interview. Prepare for your interview while keeping an open mind and a calm demeanor and you will be fine.

Good luck on the rest of your applications.
 
for those that have been complete for over 2 months and have not heard back, did you end up calling to receive your status?
 
Just found out via a phone call that I have been wait listed on the top 1/3 as well. Interviewed the last week of September. Hope the list turns over quickly.
 
EVMS does silent rejects, letter rejections or email rejections? Do they wait till the end to send out rejections?
 
Congrats to all who have received interviews...Does the admissions office send you a confirmation email after you have set up your interview on the phone? I have a date set, but never received any email confirmation. Thanks!
 
Congrats to all who have received interviews...Does the admissions office send you a confirmation email after you have set up your interview on the phone? I have a date set, but never received any email confirmation. Thanks!

After scheduling on the phone, I received a reminder e-mail a week before the interview date. Nothing other than that.

ETA: scheduled via phone about ~4 weeks before interview, no confirmation e-mail before the reminder.
 
Last edited:
Congrats to all who have received interviews...Does the admissions office send you a confirmation email after you have set up your interview on the phone? I have a date set, but never received any email confirmation. Thanks!

I got my confirmation email and reminder immediately after scheduling on the phone, but I only received my invite a week before my interview date.
 
Why do some posts keep turning into periods (.)? Was it offensive and deleted or something? Or is it some glitch on SDN?
 
Why do some posts keep turning into periods (.)? Was it offensive and deleted or something? Or is it some glitch on SDN?

Posts turn into periods because people can't delete their own posts.

When someone says something that they later wish to redact, they'll edit the post and change it to a period.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on 10/10 and I called yesterday to get a possible update on my app. The admissions person told me to call back tomorrow and I might be able to know. Anyone else from around my interview time already find anything out?
 
I interviewed on 10/10 and I called yesterday to get a possible update on my app. The admissions person told me to call back tomorrow and I might be able to know. Anyone else from around my interview time already find anything out?

I interviewed 10/5 and haven't heard anything yet, but I also haven't called to check on my status or anything.
 
I interviewed 10/5 and haven't heard anything yet, but I also haven't called to check on my status or anything.

You should try calling them and ask for your status. I interviewed the week before you did and they gave me my decision last week over the phone (although I was waitlisted, bummer 🙁). They might have yours available if they've been reviewing files weekly.
 
Hey guys, I have an interview for this Wednesday and I'm flying in from coastal New England. I planned on flying out Tuesday but this hurricane is supposed to make landfall then. Do you think I'll be able to postpone this late in the game? Does that put me at a disadvantage if I postpone? Any ideas?
 
You should try calling them and ask for your status. I interviewed the week before you did and they gave me my decision last week over the phone (although I was waitlisted, bummer 🙁). They might have yours available if they've been reviewing files weekly.

They do eventually snail mail decisions, right?
 
They do eventually snail mail decisions, right?

Yeah, thats what they said at my interview. But I found out I was waitlisted last week and still haven't received the official snail mail letter. I'm just saying if you want to know your decision sooner rather than later, they do release info over the phone.
 
Hey guys, I have an interview for this Wednesday and I'm flying in from coastal New England. I planned on flying out Tuesday but this hurricane is supposed to make landfall then. Do you think I'll be able to postpone this late in the game? Does that put me at a disadvantage if I postpone? Any ideas?
I would call and discuss it with admissions first thing tomorrow. I know one of the people who interviewed the same day as I had a family emergency out of state (a plane ride away), she called in attempt to reschedule and they wouldn't let her :-(
 
Very unpleasant interview. Hope others have better experiences. Don't think they liked me very much.
 
My interview was really really pleasant on the contrary. I went in thinking it would be a high-stress interview from all the things people have said on here for the most part. For those who have yet to interview, definitely go in prepared regarding the health-care system and ethics etc., but you may end up with really nice interviewers! This was probably my best interview of the season but of course we'll find out in about 2-3 weeks how good that is reflective of my chances for admission. Also, the school was really nice! Idk if I could live in Norfolk though, i'm from NYC lol...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a quick question regarding EVMS's residency placement. I am looking for a medical school that I will likely be able to stay for residency as well( Don't want my family to have to move around every few years). However, upon looking at some of the residency programs( emergency medicine and ophthalmology in particular) I noticed that almost none of the residents are from EVMS. I think their is only one in all 3 years of the ophtho program. There is no one in the EM class of 2013. Almost every other school I have looked at has at least a few students from its med school going into its residencies ( especially EM) . Any insight into why this is? Is it due to the quality of the programs? Some other factor? Thanks in advance.
 
For those waiting on an interview invitation, they are still forthcoming. I received one last Tuesday after having been complete for almost 8 weeks (IS). The e-mail indicated that they were currently scheduling interviews for 11/7 and 11/14, I think.
 
Last edited:
My flight was for Tuesday evening for the interview on Wednesday and I just got a call from United Airlines saying it's been cancelled due to the Hurricane. I called EVMS on Friday asking if there was any way my interview could be postponed due to the storm and the woman told me that at that moment the school has not decided to cancel or postpone the interview. But I was wondering about individual postponements--not for the whole school--so I asked if my specific interview could be postponed due to the hurricane. After talking to her director she just repeated that as of that moment they were not postponing the interviews.

I don't know what to do. This is really out of my hands and I've made every attempt at getting down there for this interview. I tried postponing it as soon as the Hurricane became prominent and now my flight has been cancelled. It's kind of stinks if they won't let me postpone it! Does anyone have any idea of what is going to happen in this situation? :scared:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.