2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called and ask for an update since my primary was verified and done on Sept 15. I got a rejection immediately afterwards. They said, "Oh, yes, sorry, you're not rejected, we must have considered you but never got back to you. We appreciate it when students show interest." (paraphrased)

Now I'm thinking she meant, "Oh, yeah, totally forgot to reject you. We'll get on that right away." :laugh:

Sorry about the bad news mate :( if anything at least you have some closure...good luck this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed the last Friday in October; never called but got the snail mail letter today. Waitlist. But it didn't mention waitlist placement...if I was in the upper 1/3 would if it had stated that? Or is that info only revealed over the phone?

Edited: called - upper 1/3. Hopefully I don't get bumped down a tier as more people interview, because it's fluid, right?

Last edited:
Interviewed the last Friday in October; never called but got the snail mail letter today. Waitlist. But it didn't mention waitlist placement...if I was in the upper 1/3 would if it had stated that? Or is that info only revealed over the phone?

I was told over the phone I was upper 1/3 but snail mail letter didn't mention a placement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 10/26, and I just found out I'm on the WL.

I'm OOS with a 30 MCAT, 3.6cGPA, and 3.54 sGPA.

Seems like a lot of people OOS got put on the WL, but I'm guessing that that is normal....?

Hey everyone, I was verified with AMCAS very beginning of August and JUST got the secondary... Have people been getting super long wait times between amcas submission and secondary?

I submitted my AMCAS to add EVMS at beginning of Nov and got my secondary at end of Nov. Perhaps they are catching back up since the peak has passed.

Any students want to host me for one night, 19th?

I interviewed on 10/26, and I just found out I'm on the WL.

I'm OOS with a 30 MCAT, 3.6cGPA, and 3.54 sGPA.

Seems like a lot of people OOS got put on the WL, but I'm guessing that that is normal....?

Well considering the fact that if you're OOS and get an interview they already like you, but they want to protect their yield & are aware a lot of OOS people get better offers from their state schools, it makes sense that a large portion of OOS interviewees get on the WL. To me, anyway. *shrug*

Last edited:
To anyone who has written a LOI to this school, what is the best way to send/submit it? Mail to admissions, submit with file updates online, or what?

Thanks and best of luck to you all!

Interviewed first week of nov. WL. IS. I really enjoyed my interview day and was hoping for better news..

Interviewed first week of nov. WL. IS. I really enjoyed my interview day and was hoping for better news..

How did you find out about your decision? Snail mail or did you call the office?

Snail mail. But I called yesterday to find out what tier. I would call! They're super friendly.

This is kind of a weird question, but for those of you that have been WL or admitted by snail mail, what size envelope did you receive? Just wondering if they'll provide more info for those who are admitted than for those that are WL...sorta like for undergrad admissions. Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I am finally complete :)
Now hoping to get an interview before March, lol.

I still don't understand why I haven't been offered an II from EVMS. Am I a bad applicant?

How long after being complete did it take to receive II? I'm waiting intently.

I called and was told that I was placed in the pile that might get an interview after January 1st. No guarantees though. :(

Accepted today via snail mail. Interviewed 11/2.

IS 3.7/32

That's seems like a weird response

I got the same response. Basically, we've been approved for interviews, but have not actually been invited yet because of the large number of applicants and the limited number of available dates.

I called and was told that I was placed in the pile that might get an interview after January 1st. No guarantees though. :(

I got the same response. Basically, we've been approved for interviews, but have not actually been invited yet because of the large number of applicants and the limited number of available dates.

I wouldn't say that you've been approved for interviews. The keyword is "might". It's probably just them telling you that they likely won't get around to reviewing your app yet.

IS or OOS?
Complete?

thx

OOS, complete 9/5

I wouldn't say that you've been approved for interviews. The keyword is "might". It's probably just them telling you that they likely won't get around to reviewing your app yet.

Just repeating what I was told. When I called, the woman at the office checked my status, told me that I had been approved for an interview, and that they wouldn't be sending out any more invitations until the new year.

It's sad that they won't book those dates now...

OOS, complete 9/5

Just repeating what I was told. When I called, the woman at the office checked my status, told me that I had been approved for an interview, and that they wouldn't be sending out any more invitations until the new year.

So, EVMS interviews 600-650 students per year, and they offer 300 acceptances. I wonder how many of those are off the WL? Did anyone here get an OOS acceptance yet, or has everyone been WL?

Does anyone kno how much movement is on the WL? I interviewed mid-Sept and got on the top 1/3 of the WL. How likely is it I can eventually be accepted? I am OOS btw.

Who's interviewing on Wednesday? They called me and I was in class with my phone on silent so I missed the call and they gave it to someone else :( At least now I know I should have a guaranteed ii

A lot. It's hard to quantify this of course but serving Hampton Roads is part of the school's mission and you will hear about it on interview day. Being from Hampton Roads would be a huge plus on your app.

Oh wow, that's great to hear. I definitely don't plan to leave the Hampton Roads area. Hopefully I get into EVMS when I apply there lol

Oh wow, that's great to hear. I definitely don't plan to leave the Hampton Roads area. Hopefully I get into EVMS when I apply there lol
I'm from Hampton Roads and i'm still waiting lol!

complete mid october tho.

They said they were sending out II this week but I just called and she said she will be sending out January Interviews really soon.

Are there any current EVMS students lurking on the thread that'd be open to a PM with a few questions about their experience with the school so far?

I'm OOS on the upper 1/3 of the WL, but in the event of an acceptance in the spring I don't want to be scrambling to make a decision between EVMS and another school. Getting in touch with a current student or two might help me prepare just in case. I really liked my interview day, but I wish we could've had our lunch with med students.

ETA: Whoa, you guys, the school's website has undergone a major revamp. Nice!

Last edited:
Anyone interview recently waiting to hear back?!? How soon is too soon to call?!

I got an email yesterday for an II and scheduled it for Jan. 4th.

I interviewed last week. Do you think there is any possibility that EVMS might have the result by... 28th? :(

I interviewed last week. Do you think there is any possibility that EVMS might have the result by... 28th? :(

Dec. 28? I doubt it; my decision letter was dated 3.5 weeks after my interview. And people who call for their decisions typically don't get an answer unless they've waited ~3 weeks post-interview. With the Christmas and New Year holiday approaching it'll likely push your decision back til early January.

To all the people on sdn who interviewed with me today (wed) at Evms, it was a pleasure getting to know you and I wish you all the best of luck.

ps. The guy wearing the blazer and khakis was super cute, was he not?

Does EVMS do post interview rejections or is everyone just waitlisted into the different tiers? And it seems like the top 1/3 has a lot of people

Does EVMS do post interview rejections or is everyone just waitlisted into the different tiers? And it seems like the top 1/3 has a lot of people

Some people have been rejected post-interview via e-mail.
As for the top 1/3 having a lot, I think that's the self-selecting bias of SDN at work. People are less inclined to post that they're middle or lower third.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the admissions committee is receptive to letters of interest or are they not helpful until after an interview? any insight would be appreciated!

Can anybody tell me a little about the waitlist? Can you get bumped down tiers as people are added? Or do you stay top tier once you are placed there?

Can anybody tell me a little about the waitlist? Can you get bumped down tiers as people are added? Or do you stay top tier once you are placed there?

When I looked at past EVMS threads, a few people posted that they found out they were bumped to 2nd tier when they called the admissions office later in the season. So, it's fluid during interview season as they meet more applicants.
That's really all I know. I assume that updates and letters of intent/interest can help those on the wait list, like with most schools.

When I looked at past EVMS threads, a few people posted that they found out they were bumped to 2nd tier when they called the admissions office later in the season. So, it's fluid during interview season as they meet more applicants.
That's really all I know. I assume that updates and letters of intent/interest can help those on the wait list, like with most schools.

Thanks for the info

Problem with email and I just sent in my secondary (oops).

OOS, 33, 4.00.

Any ideas about what might happen here? I hear they are rolling. Do I have a shot?

II on Monday. submitted 8/21. made recent crucial updates with LORs 2 weeks prior and called to ask my status. The lady was very nice and put me on hold for a few mins. She returned and said I should expect an II by the next day. For anyone waiting for long I suggest being proactive..i called 10 schools and got lucky here. goodluck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.