You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Hofstra University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
So now we're waiting to see if we will be waiting for a few more months...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted. Best moment of my life
Congrats!
Mind sharing stats and interview date?
I interviewed back in December and was just accepted now so don't lose hope!
Congrats!
I interviewed back in early/mid Dec, but was definitely sure that since I didn't hear something yet, that the next correspondence would be Reject/WL, lol.
In any case, congrats again!!
Congrats!
I interviewed back in early/mid Dec, but was definitely sure that since I didn't hear something yet, that the next correspondence would be Reject/WL, lol.
In any case, congrats again!!
+1
Sent from my Nexus 10
Any recent acceptances? I have an interview with Albany Medical College and I would love to know if I could cancel it 😉
Just got the post-interview rejection email. That was painful...
just got the post-interview rejection email. That was painful...
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected :/ Ugh only 2 shots left now...
waitlisted. glad to still have a chance, really liked hofstra
+1waitlisted. Glad to still have a chance, really liked hofstra
+2 on the waitlist. Really surprised and happy that I am still in the running. I did not feel like my interviews went that greatly, though I might be remembering it wrong (It was in October).
For those rejected, how did you feel it went?
My first interview seemed to go great, i told my reasons for applying and gave examples that mimiced their curriculem. We joked around and the first interview guy seemed to be the person that presented the inetrviewee case as he knew a lot about the schools curricuelm etc.
My second interview didn't go so great, i was more nervous and made mistakes such as introducing myself as a doctor (LOLOl, but i also made a joke of it) and calling their research insitution finstein (it was finberg) as well downplaying my research compared to what i wrote in my application.
My first interview seemed to go great, i told my reasons for applying and gave examples that mimiced their curriculem. We joked around and the first interview guy seemed to be the person that presented the inetrviewee case as he knew a lot about the schools curricuelm etc.
My second interview didn't go so great, i was more nervous and made mistakes such as introducing myself as a doctor (LOLOl, but i also made a joke of it) and calling their research insitution finstein (it was finberg) as well downplaying my research compared to what i wrote in my application.
My first interview went really well. It felt very conversational and the interviewer said he was impressed with my application. Interview lasted about 40 mins. Second interviewer asked the harder questions. She asked about grades and some other more difficult questions that threw me off a little, especially after my first interview. I wonder if they deliberately set it up that way so you lower your guard.For those rejected, how did you feel it went?
My first interview seemed to go great, i told my reasons for applying and gave examples that mimiced their curriculem. We joked around and the first interview guy seemed to be the person that presented the inetrviewee case as he knew a lot about the schools curricuelm etc.
My second interview didn't go so great, i was more nervous and made mistakes such as introducing myself as a doctor (LOLOl, but i also made a joke of it) and calling their research insitution finstein (it was finberg) as well downplaying my research compared to what i wrote in my application.
However, I do think my low undergraduate GPA really plagued my chances here...
yeah my second interview did not explain the school much but asked the difficult ethical questions etc.
maybe you are right
maybe you are right
For those rejected, how did you feel it went?
My first interview seemed to go great, i told my reasons for applying and gave examples that mimiced their curriculem. We joked around and the first interview guy seemed to be the person that presented the inetrviewee case as he knew a lot about the schools curricuelm etc.
My second interview didn't go so great, i was more nervous and made mistakes such as introducing myself as a doctor (LOLOl, but i also made a joke of it) and calling their research insitution finstein (it was finberg) as well downplaying my research compared to what i wrote in my application.
My first interviewer told me that he loved my story (coming from a disadvantaged background...etc) so I would assume it went well. My second interviewer was a neurologist and I think I annoyed him by asking too many questions about life as a neurologist

However, I did way worse at other schools but was waitlisted. I guess they have a much shorter waitlist then.
Iimagine they have a very long waitlist as they should probably be accepting 3-3.5 x their class size = 240-300/600 intervies, and they hardly accept right away. meaning probably 100-120 acceptances and 200/600 waitlist no?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received the post-interview rejection email today. Good luck to you guys still waiting to hear back!
Waitlisted as well. Let's hope there's some serious movement.
Has anyone received any financial aid information?
I am wondering if anyone in this thread will be attending the revisit weekend? I am interested to meet some of my potential classmates! 🙂
Post-interview rejection. My first interview seemed to go well, but my second here was pretty rough, so I wasn't too confident about my chances.
It's a bummer, but I guess I can't complain since I've been lucky enough to already have one acceptance. Congrats to those accepted and to those who made the waitlist. I wish you all the best of luck!
It's a bummer, but I guess I can't complain since I've been lucky enough to already have one acceptance. Congrats to those accepted and to those who made the waitlist. I wish you all the best of luck!
I am wondering if anyone in this thread will be attending the revisit weekend? I am interested to meet some of my potential classmates! 🙂
I'll be attending!!
Iimagine they have a very long waitlist as they should probably be accepting 3-3.5 x their class size = 240-300/600 intervies, and they hardly accept right away. meaning probably 100-120 acceptances and 200/600 waitlist no?
This is an intelligent comment. I don't think it's quite as high as 3.5x class size, but I could be wrong. It could also be different for you guys since our class size was smaller and we were given substantial scholarships, which incentivized students to matriculate at a somewhat higher rate.
The point stands regardless of how accurate the number is. I myself was a waitlist acceptance, as were many of my classmates. So don't get down on yourselves; there's a lot of movement in the waitlist at this school and it's still very early; I found out at the very end of May 2 years ago and I was nowhere near the last one accepted.
I also would be remiss not to mention that writing 7346873892576 letters of intent probably won't raise your chances any. Applicants get anxious and assuage their anxieties by writing letters which gives them the impression that they are "doing something" about it, much like taking an antibiotic for a viral URI (to use a medical analogy). The most productive way to be proactive and relieve your concerns is to plan what other school will go to or what else you will do if you are not accepted; this both takes up time to occupy your thoughts and gives you a sense of security. As a med student who was once waiting on his only acceptance and with (at one point) no backup plan for what to do after college without going to med school, this is what I found most helpful.
Best of luck to everyone, will be excited to meet some of you pretty soon

When is revisit day? Can wait listed students go?
When is revisit day? Can wait listed students go?
Revisit day is 4/13 and 14. There was a registration process for both days through individual Hofstra accounts so I'm not sure that waitlisted applicants can attend. Call the admissions office
Anyone think Hofstra will give me some feedback to prepare for my last 2 interviews? i was rejected post-interview here
So I called and got a bit of feedback. She said there wasn't anything glaringly wrong so she wasn't able to tell me much.
She said one interview commented that my application was stronger than the person I presented (Was probably the only in which I stumbled a lot and was asked about my research and didn't say much compared to my app).
One interview commented that I said "you know" too much, so that's something I can work on. As well as to just highlight my experiences better.
They said overall I did good but people did better, so that's why I wasn't accepted.
Call if you want some feedback! Admissions is very nice here!
She said one interview commented that my application was stronger than the person I presented (Was probably the only in which I stumbled a lot and was asked about my research and didn't say much compared to my app).
One interview commented that I said "you know" too much, so that's something I can work on. As well as to just highlight my experiences better.
They said overall I did good but people did better, so that's why I wasn't accepted.
Call if you want some feedback! Admissions is very nice here!
interviewed 12/10, waitlisted. withdrew yesterday. good luck to the rest of you. 🙂
+1interviewed 12/10, waitlisted. Withdrew yesterday. Good luck to the rest of you. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! Can anyone who attended revisit this weekend comment on how it went and what you learned? Also, did they give out any financial aid information?
Thanks in advance!
Thanks in advance!
Hi guys! Can anyone who attended revisit this weekend comment on how it went and what you learned? Also, did they give out any financial aid information?
Thanks in advance!
Bump.👍
Anyone know of anyone with any recent waitlist movement?
Hi guys! Can anyone who attended revisit this weekend comment on how it went and what you learned? Also, did they give out any financial aid information?
Thanks in advance!
Revisit weekend was great! I think they're building a fantastic class that I'm excited to be a part of. Financial aid had very little information. I know that packages are going to start going out the 29th because they sent an email to us telling us so. In terms of "learning" I discovered 1) I think med school here will be awesome 2) I really want to live off campus as opposed to on, And now I just need to find roommates.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K