2012-2013 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd estimate that a quarter to a third of my class is off the wait-list. I don't know how many they accept exactly but a good percentage of the final class are off the wait list

Members don't see this ad.

oh mannn, i really want to go to nyu!

It doesn't seem like there were very many acceptances at all reported compared to last year. Any speculation as to why that is?

Also, who should we address LOI's to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I addressed mine to the admissions committee. So if we upload LOIs to their upload docs tab, do we need to contact them to let them know an additional document was added?

I called them yesterday and it seems like uploading the document is just fine, no need to contact them extra

I withdrew from NYU a month ago and they still haven't refunded the matriculating 100 dollar fee? I emailed them and no response. What's up with NYU?

Has anyone received an interview yet or heard anything back regarding the 3-yr MD program?

Also, does anyone know when NYU updates people regarding merit scholarships?

Has anyone received an interview yet or heard anything back regarding the 3-yr MD program?

I also applied to the 3 year program and haven't heard anything yet.

Can anyone comment on the effects of Hurricane Sandy on NYU hospitals and the medical school? I've read that the damage was extraordinary and I was wondering how (and if) this damage will have any effect on the incoming class. A response from a current student or anyone informed in the matter would be great. :)

Can anyone comment on the effects of Hurricane Sandy on NYU hospitals and the medical school? I've read that the damage was extraordinary and I was wondering how (and if) this damage will have any effect on the incoming class. A response from a current student or anyone informed in the matter would be great. :)

I go to NYU as an Undergrad and am 99% sure I'm going to go here for Med school. I have some friends who are in the MD/PhD program and they said that Bellevue and the other teaching hospitals have reopened as of early February. From what I understand the research buildings closer to the East River had more damage and I don't fully know the extent of the recovery of those buildings.

Applied to the 3-year MD and still nothing.

Regarding scholarships I'm assuming they'll come with your financial aid package which is available after April 1.

Bellevue and Tisch are 100% back. I don't know the story of why the Tisch psych floor isn't back (that's the only piece that isn't), but I doubt you guys care about that. The VA will fully reopen before July.

As far as the pre-clinical facilities are concerned: They are the ones that sustained the most damage b/c they were in the basement. I'm not sure what the status of the basement is at the moment, all I know is our library isn't expected to be done for at least a year (it's stripped down to the concrete) -- but when it is, it will be pretty damn sweet. One lecture hall on the main level and the study space above it is preserved. The building w/ the anatomy lab + classrooms was preserved (excluding the fact that there was no heat in it for a couple months) -- the MS1s just had anatomy in there.

Research: the Smilow building is fine, i think the only one that's still down is the Medical Science Building, though I delete all emails pertaining to research since there's so many per day so I could be wrong.

You'll probably be able to get more + more accurate info during revisit. Plus, you'll get to do fun stuff in the sim center, which the post-sandy interviewees didn't get to see.

So I logged onto Albert just to see what it was like and saw that my financial aid document was up. It was nothing but loans, $70k in loans. Now I haven't gotten packages from other schools yet but I'm pretty sure that's as bad as it gets, and I filed my FAFSA and it's not like my parents make a lot of money either. I feel like this is a mistake but I called the office and they said nope, that's your package.

Has anyone else taken a look yet? Is anyone's much different?

I got an email today saying my financial aid was available, so checked. I also have all federal loans. Probably will withdraw soon (I also haven't gotten any other packages yet, but a few others would be cheaper even with $0 school-based funds).

Members don't see this ad :)
Same issue, probably withdrawing sometime this week. Ridiculous financial expectations...what a broken system.

I hope this is just for NYU, and not necessarily for all schools. I, too, got all loans. When the COA is $75k, it's kind of hard to justify.

All loans here as well. I'll take it though; I love this school and can't wait to start.

Where do I get my Net ID?! I've looked at every email I've received like twice...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Where do I get my Net ID?! I've looked at every email I've received like twice...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mine was in a word document attachment from a financial aid e-mail I received in late February.

All loans here too. I was going to withdraw anyways, but this made the decision that much easier.

Is the grant (med school scholarship) need based or merit based?

Not all financial aid awards are given out immediately. To those of you who got nothing but loans, there is still a chance you will receive something at a later time, especially as others withdraw.

I called yesterday. They indicated that merit had been awarded already, but that the awards would be re-distributed as people withdrew.

Got invited for an interview for the 3-year md program today! Also got all loans for fin aid.

Got invited for an interview for the 3-year md program today! Also got all loans for fin aid.

Congrats! For which residency program and when is your interview? :)

May I ask the stats of those who have been invited to interview for the 3 year program?

I'm REALLY excited about applying to this program next year (specifically the 3 year), but not sure if I have what it takes.

about how many people are at revisit weekend now?

Do we just submit letters through the additional info tab on the portal, or do we need to notify or email anybody else?

Do we just submit letters through the additional info tab on the portal, or do we need to notify or email anybody else?

I was wondering the same thing but I ended up simply uploading the letter via the portal. I think it's pretty obvious what its for and I wouldn't worry about ensuring anyone else knows you submitted it. That's just my opinion.

That being said, I did try to email my interviewer and (s)he never replied back. :thumbup:

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

anyone know if there's reason to think there's gonna be normal or less waitlist movement this year. it seems that other comparable schools, such as sinai, won't have much movement this year...

Has anyone received any forms or anything from nyu that would need to be filled out and submitted on a deadline? I'm re-considering nyu at the last minute and am worried that I did or didn't do something that would affect my ability to matriculate....

Has anyone received any forms or anything from nyu that would need to be filled out and submitted on a deadline? I'm re-considering nyu at the last minute and am worried that I did or didn't do something that would affect my ability to matriculate....

If memory serves, just the matriculation fee within two weeks of acceptance. There were no health forms yet. Just financial aid info. They sent out the housing applications but that doesn't affect ur ability to matriculate. Call them in the morning; they're very helpful at the admissions office!

Where are people planning on living? Anyone in Brooklyn? The rents for a 1 bedroom in the area are way high...

Maybe 80-90% of people live on campus (rent is a little over $900). I can't think of anyone in my class who lives in brooklyn. There are a few people on the UES/UWS, and a handful in the LES.

Congrats! Did you send a letter of intent/update?

thanks man, i sent in 3 updates but actually no LOI

How did you send in your updates? Did you use the "Additional Information" tab on the online portal or did you just email them? Congrats btw!

also, got off the waitlist

sent in two updates/interest letters

When did you hear from them, and by email or phone call? if you don't mind me asking

When did you hear from them, and by email or phone call? if you don't mind me asking

Did you get a call or a status update?

I got an email from admissions at 5pm May 8 (yesterday)

How did you send in your updates? Did you use the "Additional Information" tab on the online portal or did you just email them? Congrats btw!

Yes, I sent in all updates using the online portal

Thanks for the support guys. I am excited about the acceptance although I am still deciding between schools right now so hopefully a spot might open up again for someone

Withdrew despite the 45k/year scholarship. Good luck everyone! It seems like wailtlist movement has started, I hope one of you gets the spot.

Sent in a LOI on Monday, got accepted today! I was set for the May 15th deadline, but with 5 days to spare I've been thrown a tough decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.