2012-2013 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:highfive::
Will withdraw at this point.... nice knowin ya peeps. The only reason I was still on the run is because I was hoping for an acceptance on the last round and some mula.... seeing as how that is not going to happen, I've pretty much made up my mind and so has my family as to where I'll be headed next year.... good luck to all without acceptances and those on the deferred train that have Ohio State as their top choice!!! :luck:
Good Luck to you Dr. TaDaaa! Where will you be attending? Was yesterday really the last round of acceptances before they consider deferred people?

Members don't see this ad.

:highfive::
Good Luck to you Dr. TaDaaa! Where will you be attending? Was yesterday really the last round of acceptances before they consider deferred people?

I'm going to Indiana University, I was matched at their NW campus which is 35 min from Chicago so my sig. other can get a job in his chosen field (finance). I spoke to Flo and she said April 2nd was the last one, but maybe that was the last date they had decided on when I called about a month ago. Perhaps there are more, I know I cannot wait longer so I will withdraw, plus I have to take anatomy. I was also offered some money by IU so no reason to really keep waiting at this point. Ohio State did have the allure of becoming in-state after the second year, which is like a scholarship since the tuition becomes much lower for OOS. Good luck! It seems that people do get off the waitlist/deferred list at this school. Evidence being that many M1's were pulled off from this list in past years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to Indiana University, I was matched at their NW campus which is 35 min from Chicago so my sig. other can get a job in his chosen field (finance). I spoke to Flo and she said April 2nd was the last one, but maybe that was the last date they had decided on when I called about a month ago. Perhaps there are more, I know I cannot wait longer so I will withdraw, plus I have to take anatomy. I was also offered some money by IU so no reason to really keep waiting at this point. Ohio State did have the allure of becoming in-state after the second year, which is like a scholarship since the tuition becomes much lower for OOS. Good luck! It seems that people do get off the waitlist/deferred list at this school. Evidence being that many M1's were pulled off from this list in past years.

Good luck, Tada! IU is a great school, lucky to have you! :)

Also, interesting about today being the last day of acceptances - presumably until May 15. I creeped last years thread and it looks like a TON of deferred people got accepted on April 5 [of last year]. Shoot :(

Also, interesting about today being the last day of acceptances - presumably until May 15. I creeped last years thread and it looks like a TON of deferred people got accepted on April 5 [of last year]. Shoot :(

Hmm was April 5th supposed to be a day for those applicants to look out for or did it catch those in the deferred pool by surprise?

That is unfortunate. :( I hope it will be different this year! Does anyone know if there an exact date for calls in May?

Hmm was April 5th supposed to be a day for those applicants to look out for or did it catch those in the deferred pool by surprise?

They all seemed pretty surprised. They also didn't get calls - just emails saying they had a status change. I wonder if that would have been today for us, or if there's another day in the near future!

they all seemed pretty surprised. They also didn't get calls - just emails saying they had a status change. I wonder if that would have been today for us, or if there's another day in the near future!

No calls, but a status change? If that happened to me, I would probably think it was a rejection. That must have been exciting to find out it was actually an acceptance.

April 5th of last year is a Thursday, so maybe it's on Thursday for us too. I hate this deferred status :( I think I should just withdraw and move on with my vida . Columbus is too cold anyways... ( trying to make my self feel better lol ) good luck for the rest of you in the run!

Congrats Tadaaa! Best of luck to all of you guys actually. I hope the mcat isn't the most important thing they look at! Otherwise I am screwed. I am going to email them and see if there are other days us deferred folk should expect to hear something. I hope so!!!

Hey Tsukiyo I was looking at the MSAR for this year and compared to last year there are far fewer URMs. I was pretty disturbed by this and I wonder why this is the case? I know that they get a lot of them from the medpath program. And the smaller class size cannot account for the decrease. Hmmm....

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Tadaaa! Best of luck to all of you guys actually. I hope the mcat isn't the most important thing they look at! Otherwise I am screwed. I am going to email them and see if there are other days us deferred folk should expect to hear something. I hope so!!!

Hey Tsukiyo I was looking at the MSAR for this year and compared to last year there are far fewer URMs. I was pretty disturbed by this and I wonder why this is the case? I know that they get a lot of them from the medpath program. And the smaller class size cannot account for the decrease. Hmmm....

They could have just decided to go elsewhere.

April 5th of last year is a Thursday, so maybe it's on Thursday for us too. I hate this deferred status :( I think I should just withdraw and move on with my vida . Columbus is too cold anyways... ( trying to make my self feel better lol ) good luck for the rest of you in the run!

Hang in there! It's not over until the first day of class. And Columbus is very warm in the spring and summer and winters and that bad either.

Hang in there! It's not over until the first day of class. And Columbus is very warm in the spring and summer and winters and that bad either.

Being accepted on the first day of class would be REALLY hard! Can you imagine trying to pack, move across the country, find a house, unpack, figure out financing, and start medical school in a single day? Hopefully they will let everyone living outside of Columbus know long before then!

I don't know for sure, but I think that the last review day should be Thursday.... I interviewed on 03/20 and my ten days was on Monday (no call of course). so, status change was today. When I interviewed they said the last day of interviews was the following Monday, 03/25. So, their call day should be Thursday 3/04 and status update on Friday, 03/05... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there should be one more day for reviews....

Does anyone know why they have more out of state people in their class demographics than in-state? That seems wrong for a state school. And it isn't a small number either it was like 76 IS to 103 OOS.

Does anyone know why they have more out of state people in their class demographics than in-state? That seems wrong for a state school. And it isn't a small number either it was like 76 IS to 103 OOS.

Totally agree that is just cray cray. They probably have more out of state people to boost the metrics, especially mcat.

I'm pretty sure I was told on my interview they shoot for 50% IS and 50% OOS - it just isn't always exact because of who chooses to matriculate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure I was told on my interview they shoot for 50% IS and 50% OOS - it just isn't always exact because of who chooses to matriculate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They did tell us that. I figured that's probably the reason they don't have too too much control over how the numbers exactly turn out.

^ that makes sense, but 50/50 is still high for a state school.

I've actually seen a lot of state schools with similar ratios, or even higher levels of OOS students. It turns out that many OOS students end up staying in state after medical school and residencies, so accepting OOS students is a good way to recruit talent to the state. The admissions staff here is pretty smart - they know exactly what they are doing.

I've actually seen a lot of state schools with similar ratios, or even higher levels of OOS students. It turns out that many OOS students end up staying in state after medical school and residencies, so accepting OOS students is a good way to recruit talent to the state. The admissions staff here is pretty smart - they know exactly what they are doing.

That also makes sense, thanks for the helpful explanation

That also makes sense, thanks for the helpful explanation

That makes sense, but I thought by law State schools had to admit a certain number of in-state student since they are given state funds?

That makes sense, but I thought by law State schools had to admit a certain number of in-state student since they are given state funds?

Yeah, admit. They don't have to decide to go there. Many of them will want to leave the state for the coasts.

I have never heard of such a law in Ohio. Do you know where you heard this or know where it is in the Ohio Revised Code?

Sorry, I'm not sure where it is in the official code if it is. It was just always my understanding (since undergrad) that because state schools are funded partially by the state itself that they provide lower tuition and higher acceptance to in-state students since those families support the school through their tax dollars.

I could be completed wrong about it though. That's just what I've heard, and it may only apply to undergraduate studies.

I think you hit the nail right on the head, Hansman. I'm an incoming M1, but have lived in Columbus for the past several years.

My impression is that the College of Medicine and Medical Center realize that in order to become one of the strongest medical centers in the nation, they have to recruit physicians and students from a national pool. This recruitment seems to be just one component of a much larger (and thus far successful) push to increase the clout of OSUMC (e.g. construction of new cancer hospital, heavy investment in Nationwide Children's Hospital).

Once you are deferred is it possible to be rejected or do you stay deferred until the first day of classes?

Once you are deferred is it possible to be rejected or do you stay deferred until the first day of classes?

I'm nearly positive you are just deferred until the first day of classes.

Any info on stats about # of applicants, # of applicants interviewed, # of deferred applicants each year, # of deferred applicants that end up getting accepted?

Don't have exact numbers but something like 40% of interviewees eventually get accepted. 50% of deferrees get accepted, at least in past years.

Don't have exact numbers but something like 40% of interviewees eventually get accepted. 50% of deferrees get accepted, at least in past years.

I was expecting quite a bit less from the deferred list, but those numbers make me a little more hopeful. :)

Someone posted earlier that today is a "call day". Is it true ? Or was he bugging out ?

The rationale there is that today is 10 days after the last interview day, 3/25. It makes sense, but we'll wait and see.

I don't know for sure, but I think that the last review day should be Thursday.... I interviewed on 03/20 and my ten days was on Monday (no call of course). so, status change was today. When I interviewed they said the last day of interviews was the following Monday, 03/25. So, their call day should be Thursday 3/04 and status update on Friday, 03/05... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there should be one more day for reviews....

Posted above.

I always thought they reviewed multiple interview days at once..like say there were interviews on Monday and Wednesday of one week and Monday and Wednesday of the next week. The Monday of the third week, the adcom would meet and review all these interviewees, and calls would go out that night.

I never thought 10 days was a hard and fast rule, but maybe I'm wrong.

I always thought they reviewed multiple interview days at once..like say there were interviews on Monday and Wednesday of one week and Monday and Wednesday of the next week. The Monday of the third week, the adcom would meet and review all these interviewees, and calls would go out that night.

I think you're right. I always thought they reviewed in clusters. I interviewed 3/13 but my call day wasn't until 4/1. For those that interviewed on 3/25, I wouldn't be surprised if their call day was also the same day.

I don't think 10 days is a hard rule. My call day was 9 days after (10th day would be status change day). My friend who interviewed had her call day a little more than 2 weeks later I believe.

I don't think 10 days is a hard rule. My call day was 9 days after (10th day would be status change day). My friend who interviewed had her call day a little more than 2 weeks later I believe.

When they did calls/status updates for my interview day it was two weeks as well.

Has anyone who has been accepted heard anything about financial aid awards and/or merit based scholarships yet?

Some of the summer Anatomy courses run through the first week of August (the 9th - 11th). Does anyone know if finishing at that point is too late to satisfy the requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.