2012-2013 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we get to find out where we are on the waiting list in terms of high, medium, or low?

They will tell you if you are on the first or the second half of the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

They will tell you if you are on the first or the second half of the waitlist.

How does that happen? Do they tell us via email or do we have to call? Also, I was told by a reliable source to definitely send in additional letters of reference if you have them, or other positive updates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I came off the waitlist last year (shortly after May 15, 2012) and never received any type of indication of my standing beforehand... it's possible that this is new for the class of 2017. As far as sending in a letter of interest, I would do so immediately because I am sure the admissions committee is currently compiling the waitlist and continued interest (if sincere) is always beneficial. I genuinely believe that had I not sent in a letter of interest last year, I would not have been accepted.

I came off the waitlist last year (shortly after May 15, 2012) and never received any type of indication of my standing beforehand... it's possible that this is new for the class of 2017. As far as sending in a letter of interest, I would do so immediately because I am sure the admissions committee is currently compiling the waitlist and continued interest (if sincere) is always beneficial. I genuinely believe that had I not sent in a letter of interest last year, I would not have been accepted.

When did you send the letter of interest? I believe Dr. Capers told us to only send in new grades, additional letters of recommendation and any publications.

When did you send the letter of interest? I believe Dr. Capers told us to only send in new grades, additional letters of recommendation and any publications.

As I recall, I actually sent in three. One in winter, one in mid-April and one in early May. I underscored a lot of information in my AMCAS, discussed what I liked about Ohio State and shared what I had been up to professionally (I wasn't a student at the time).

Any financial aid letters yet??

Hope it comes soon.

Good gracious! When are we going to hear? Is there anyone out there who has been offered scholarships (full in-state or half in-state tuition)? And I've heard nothing about fin aid... Getting anxious and want to make a decision!!

Sooo does anyone out there know if the class is currently filled or is there a possibility that some deferred applicants could be accepted prior to May 15th?

Sooo does anyone out there know if the class is currently filled or is there a possibility that some deferred applicants could be accepted prior to May 15th?

I believe it says on their website in the recent Q&A session (I dunno where the link I had went - sorry!) that they won't be accepting anyone else until after May 15.

I believe it says on their website in the recent Q&A session (I dunno where the link I had went - sorry!) that they won't be accepting anyone else until after May 15.

I believe it's on twitter/OhioStateMed. Scroll down about 15-20 posts

That's correct - no more acceptances until after May 15th. It's time to wait... some more.

As I recall, I actually sent in three. One in winter, one in mid-April and one in early May. I underscored a lot of information in my AMCAS, discussed what I liked about Ohio State and shared what I had been up to professionally (I wasn't a student at the time).

Since they seem to discourage letter of interest, I wonder if sending a letter with some update material (lacking updated grades or achievements) would be frowned upon as not following directions. Thoughts?

Since they seem to discourage letter of interest, I wonder if sending a letter with some update material (lacking updated grades or achievements) would be frowned upon as not following directions. Thoughts?

This was the worry that I had. The specifically said do not send one unless you have something (like the aforementioned changes) to update us about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think any update would be frowned upon. The way the message was phrased sounded like they were "particularly interested" in hearing about the publications, 4.0, etc, but I am sure that a letter of interest + some update will still be added to your file and considered.

Anyone get any notifications about financial aid? I emailed a month ago and they said we would get it closer to the end of April...It seems a like a lot of other schools have already sent those out

For what it's worth, I have withdrawn my acceptance from OSU. Best of luck to all of those who are waiting anxiously on the deferred list!

For what it's worth, I have withdrawn my acceptance from OSU. Best of luck to all of those who are waiting anxiously on the deferred list!

Dibs on the acceptance!

If only it were that easy.

Anyone get any notifications about financial aid? I emailed a month ago and they said we would get it closer to the end of April...It seems a like a lot of other schools have already sent those out
I talked to someone at the financial aid office yesterday and they said they are hoping to send the stuff out in the next week or so.

I actually received a FA email although I withdrew awhile back. My numbers aren't great, which is probably why they only awarded me $10k, in case anyone was wondering. I'm also OOS. Good luck to everyone else this cycle.

So no more acceptances till may 15th ? Even though ppl are declining their acceptances ?

I think so. It makes sense. They are probably waiting until may 15 so they have a better idea of how many people they need to pull off the deferred list.

Good gracious! When are we going to hear? Is there anyone out there who has been offered scholarships (full in-state or half in-state tuition)? And I've heard nothing about fin aid... Getting anxious and want to make a decision!!
I heard April 18th for the scholarship I was offered, in case you were still wondering.

withdrew after receiving FA. Good luck to everyone else. OOS FYI

Does anyone have ideas on housing for OSU? I'm still waiting to hear if I get off the waitlist, but I don't think they give you much time to accept or decline so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row first.

Does anyone have ideas on housing for OSU? I'm still waiting to hear if I get off the waitlist, but I don't think they give you much time to accept or decline so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row first.

Many people who get off the wait list during the late spring and summer end up living in apartment complexes like the meridian. They often have openings all year and can be moved in to relatively quickly.

Many people who get off the wait list during the late spring and summer end up living in apartment complexes like the meridian. They often have openings all year and can be moved in to relatively quickly.

Thanks for your help! I have a few more questions too if you don't mind. How long do students have to decide if they get off the waitlist after May 15th? Also, how is Financial Aid decided if that happens?

Thanks for your help! I have a few more questions too if you don't mind. How long do students have to decide if they get off the waitlist after May 15th? Also, how is Financial Aid decided if that happens?

When I was accepted off of the waitlist last year, I was asked to decide within 24 hours. The only financial aid that I received was loans.

When I was accepted off of the waitlist last year, I was asked to decide within 24 hours. The only financial aid that I received was loans.

Holy crap 24 hours?!?! Did they offer your financial aid when they accepted you or was it a while after you accepted their offer?

Holy crap 24 hours?!?! Did they offer your financial aid when they accepted you or was it a while after you accepted their offer?

Financial aid is handled through the main financial aid office for the entire university and takes a while to initiate and process. Suffice it to say you will get your money in a timely manner (ie shortly after the semester begins) so long as you are prompt with the paperwork.

Not to be a downer, but I doubt there will be many acceptances given off the wait list. If you look at the The Ohio State University College of Medicine Class of 2017 facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/422920414446473/) there are 194 members (i.e. people accepting an OSU offer) . Considering that OSU wants 195 students to matriculate (http://medicine.osu.edu/secondlook/qa/pages/index.aspx), I doubt there will be much movement in the deferred list that is made up of 448 individuals.

I'm going to be hopeful that I'll get off the wait list, but act realistically and start getting my AMCAS application ready for this next cycle.

Not to be a downer, but I doubt there will be many acceptances given off the wait list. If you look at the The Ohio State University College of Medicine Class of 2017 facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/422920414446473/) there are 194 members (i.e. people accepting an OSU offer) . Considering that OSU wants 195 students to matriculate (http://medicine.osu.edu/secondlook/qa/pages/index.aspx), I doubt there will be much movement in the deferred list that is made up of 448 individuals.

I'm going to be hopeful that I'll get off the wait list, but act realistically and start getting my AMCAS application ready for this next cycle.

I can hope that they joined because they were accepted and not because they are committing to go there :( I shall keep my faith alive until May17th because I'm not sure how many acceptances will really go out in the middle of the summer.

A good chunk (at least 30, I would wager) are current med students.

A good chunk (at least 30, I would wager) are current med students.

I just quickly scanned the FB group and there are at least 60 members who are a part of the classes of 2016 and 2015. Having said that, I'm sure that not everyone who has already been accepted for the class of 2017 has joined the FB group. My inkling is that a comparable number of waitlisted students will be accepted as in years past. I can assure that a significant minority of members of the class of 2016 were accepted off of the waitlist (like this guy).

For comparison's sake, the class of 2016 was comprised of 188 students, however the FB group has 292 members.

Last edited:
Gridguy, thank you for looking into this and the encouragement. It's much appreciated!!!

Withdrew my spot, good luck to everyone still waiting! Does anyone know if there was an acceptance fee here and if so, if it is refundable? (Lost my memory in these past few months!)

So for everyone on the deferred list, should we expect to get an email about our position on the waitlist today or sometime this week?

So for everyone on the deferred list, should we expect to get an email about our position on the waitlist today or sometime this week?

Likely next week. I am sure the admissions committee will take a few days to assess the current roster of the class of 2017 before arranging (and drawing from) the waitlist. Don't be discouraged if you don't get the call immediately.

Finally, it's May 15th, D-Day! Hopefully in a few more days we will have some great news!

Just called admissions and they said that calls have already started going out. She said they call as spots become available and that today tomorrow and Friday are the heavier calling days and things start to slow after a week or so. This just makes me anxious.

Oh goodness. Let the compulsive phone checking commence! Good juju all around! :D

I am now going to be checking my phone non-stop. Best of luck to us all!!! I hope we get good news :)

Wonder at what point we can call and find out where we are on the wait list. ..

I called to see if I was on the bottom or top portion of the wait list and they told me they couldn't tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.