2012-2013 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the summer Anatomy courses run through the first week of August (the 9th - 11th). Does anyone know if finishing at that point is too late to satisfy the requirement?

That should be fine but call to make sure. I think if you tell the admissions office you can give proof of enrollment in the course it won't be a big deal. The ending of the course will be close to or will overlap with orientation so just call to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this before but maybe someone can answer it now. Rumor has it that when you are accepted they email you options to fulfill the anatomy requirements. Can anyone tell me what options they provide? Thanks!

Yet another newsletter email accompanied by temporary heart attack

Members don't see this ad :)
just withdrew my application! goodluck to the rest of y'all :)

I asked this before but maybe someone can answer it now. Rumor has it that when you are accepted they email you options to fulfill the anatomy requirements. Can anyone tell me what options they provide? Thanks!

No options that I can remember, just a form asking you to fill out your plans for anatomy and Biochemistry . On the website they offer options under admissions - - > prerequisites. If memory serves West Virginia and BYU were the online options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Yet another newsletter email accompanied by temporary heart attack

Loooool this was my reaction too. I was literally freaking out in my seat only to realize that it was the newsletter. But I don't think this necessarily means they won't accept anyone between now and then. I know last year there was this one day in April where a bunch of deferred peeps got accepted. I hope that happens soon for us!!! :)

Loooool this was my reaction too. I was literally freaking out in my seat only to realize that it was the newsletter. But I don't think this necessarily means they won't accept anyone between now and then. I know last year there was this one day in April where a bunch of deferred peeps got accepted. I hope that happens soon for us!!! :)

+1. I really hope that day in April comes as well. Ahhh it would take so much uncontrollable anxiety out of my life, I'd be so thankful...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone help me with this scenario/question: I am accepted at another school and currently deferred at OSU, my top choice. Is it possible to keep my acceptance at the other school on May 15th and thereafter, while still staying on the deferred/wait list at OSU with the slight hope that I could get offered an acceptance after May 15? Or do you have to decline all other acceptances AND wait list spots on that date once you confirm an acceptance elsewhere? Thanks for the help!

Can anyone help me with this scenario/question: I am accepted at another school and currently deferred at OSU, my top choice. Is it possible to keep my acceptance at the other school on May 15th and thereafter, while still staying on the deferred/wait list at OSU with the slight hope that I could get offered an acceptance after May 15? Or do you have to decline all other acceptances AND wait list spots on that date once you confirm an acceptance elsewhere? Thanks for the help!

You only have to drop all acceptances except one. You can hold as many wait-list/deferred/non-accepted-but-not-rejected (whatever else other schools call them) spots as you care to.

You only have to drop all acceptances except one. You can hold as many wait-list/deferred/non-accepted-but-not-rejected (whatever else other schools call them) spots as you care to.

I agree. From this point on you're limited to one acceptance. If OSU does accept you and you want to go here then you must decline your acceptance at the school you're currently accepted at. You can be on as many wait-lists as you want.

Are a lot of people heading out to second look from out of town or are most of you local? Starting the 10ish hour trip early tomorrow.

I don't know, but I love your username so much.

Lol, for some reason this was one of my favorite bits on the show! I think you're the first person on SDN to notice. :thumbup:

Definitely, and it is a very smart thing to do. But why, you ask? Well, last year I was deferred at OSU and accepted at a few other schools. As of May 15th, I had narrowed my acceptances down to one school, and then received "the call" from OSU on May 16th. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't drop the schools I was deferred at.

From second look web chat "There are 448 individuals on the deferred list now. We will build our waiting list after May 15th. Students can get a call for an offer of admission as late as late July sometimes. It always depends when another student will withdraw.Our orientation begins August 5th this year....OSU Adc" 448 individuals !!! I gave up on being accepted :(

From second look web chat "There are 448 individuals on the deferred list now. We will build our waiting list after May 15th. Students can get a call for an offer of admission as late as late July sometimes. It always depends when another student will withdraw.Our orientation begins August 5th this year....OSU Adc" 448 individuals !!! I gave up on being accepted :(

Sheesh!!! That's a lot lol

yikes..glad I've accepted the fact that I won't be getting in here; it sure seems like a long shot now

yikes..glad I've accepted the fact that I won't be getting in here; it sure seems like a long shot now

+1!

Kind of sounds like they'll take some people from the deferred list to make the waitlist and reject the rest? Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong, though, because I had previously thought that deferred list automatically became the Waitlist after May 15.

+1!

Kind of sounds like they'll take some people from the deferred list to make the waitlist and reject the rest? Maybe I'm interpreting that wrong, though, because I had previously thought that deferred list automatically became the Waitlist after May 15.

It does automat become the waitlist. They won't divulge exact rank but may divulge top half vs bottom half.

OSU it was very nice to know you, but I gotta move onnn....

That's enough to fill your class twice over... wow. I mean I understand the need to protect your class size, but this seems overboard.

Well, at least they're transparent about it. Best of luck to those of you who decide to stay on the list!

448 deferred!?! :( That's really upsetting as in the twitter Q&A it states the class size will be 195. Im not sure whether to wait it out or not for such a slim chance. For those of you who will wait, it also says they welcome additional letters of reference and updates, so if you know anyone who will write a letter for you, I say go for it!

448 deferred!?! :( That's really upsetting as in the twitter Q&A it states the class size will be 195. Im not sure whether to wait it out or not for such a slim chance. For those of you who will wait, it also says they welcome additional letters of reference and updates, so if you know anyone who will write a letter for you, I say go for it!

448 is an outrageous number on a waitlist, given they have handed out the 195 acceptances. I am sure they will get to some of you but I just wanted to say that I feel very bad for people on the waitlist. OSU has become amazingly popular over the years, the average GPA and MCAT scores creep up each year, due to record number of applications received each year. Columbus is booming, new construction all over the place, and the cost of living is very reasonable compared to other large midwest cities. Tons of new money going into the medical school program and supporting hospitals. OSU lets out of staters become instaters for the 2nd year thru 4th year, which reduces the tuition big time.

If you are on the waitlist, good luck, and hope you get in somewhere.

Edit: At this time of the year, I think it is reasonable to assume that they have offered to atleast 195 people if not more.

Last edited:
448... I'm still not over that number. Are all the seats currently filled or are they still considering accepting those who are deferred? I'm going to assume they're filled.

Last year they had 225 people on the waitlist. I got that number from post #1187 from last year's thread.

That's enough to fill your class twice over... wow. I mean I understand the need to protect your class size, but this seems overboard.

Well, at least they're transparent about it. Best of luck to those of you who decide to stay on the list!

transparent, yes. But it does lead me to scratch my head. I was under the impression that all the deferred applicants were reviewed at EACH adcom meeting with the possibility of being accepted. I find it very hard to believe that they were reviewing 300-400 applications during the last few adcom meetings...

oh welll!

Wow. That's pretty unbelievable.

Anybody know where we could go about finding the average waitlist movement per year?

Last edited:
That's ridiculous, what in the world would make them want to double the wait list from last year??? Considering they require anatomy and keep sending us updates about deferred students having a "chance" at getting in, they should just be honest with us. The chances this year just seem very very slim. Good luck to all of you wherever you go.

WOAH. That's a huge #. Do we know how many people they interviewed this year compared to last?

Just a theory, but normally schools accept 2 to 3x as many students as they have spots. In the past OSU over accepted. Maybe this year they offered less outright acceptances and more deferred spots. Perhaps they assume that students will hold deferred spots because they can, even if OSU isn't their top choice, thus causing the list to move more quickly.

Waitlisters: Don't withdraw in fear of a rejection. You've come this far, it takes literally ZERO work to stay on the wait list, and Ohio State is an amazing place. If you want to go here, keep your name in the running. For all you know, you could be the next person coming off of the waitlist!

As an incoming M1 that attended second look, I have the feeling that OSU gave out relatively few outright acceptances, and will pull heavily from the waitlist.

Waitlisters: Don't withdraw in fear of a rejection. You've come this far, it takes literally ZERO work to stay on the wait list, and Ohio State is an amazing place. If you want to go here, keep your name in the running. For all you know, you could be the next person coming off of the waitlist!

As an incoming M1 that attended second look, I have the feeling that OSU gave out relatively few outright acceptances, and will pull heavily from the waitlist.

Thanks for this!! Let's hope there is some major movement soon :)

On the Q&A page of OSU:

"Will all deferred students be automatically put on the waitlist or will some be rejected?" -

On May 15, the deferred list will automatically become the "waiting list", with waiting list students being offered an acceptance when accepted students pull out. The deferred list is prioritized, with "high", "medium", and "low" priorities based on their interview performance, experiences, attributes, and metrics. Those who are very low on the priority list may be rejected after May 15.

Any financial aid letters yet??

Hope it comes soon.

On the Q&A page of OSU:

"Will all deferred students be automatically put on the waitlist or will some be rejected?" -

On May 15, the deferred list will automatically become the "waiting list", with waiting list students being offered an acceptance when accepted students pull out. The deferred list is prioritized, with "high", "medium", and "low" priorities based on their interview performance, experiences, attributes, and metrics. Those who are very low on the priority list may be rejected after May 15.

Do we get to find out where we are on the waiting list in terms of high, medium, or low?

Not sure, but I'm calling on May 16th to see if they'll let me know where I'm at on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.