2012-2013 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interviewed early Jan, and they told me that acceptances wouldn't be sent out until March. Is this no longer the case?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Same here, I was told late Feb. or early March...

Not sure for which date they interviewed for, just a friend and fellow UCR graduate. I interviewed January 26, and we were told to expect Late Feb/March, but that they're also rolling admission. I'm guessing they interviewed Earlier in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.

To those of you who already had your interview, I was just wondering what kind of people is UCR inviting for the interviews? What was your impression of the type of people they are trying to recruit?

Hey guys.

To those of you who already had your interview, I was just wondering what kind of people is UCR inviting for the interviews? What was your impression of the type of people they are trying to recruit?

Well, I am not sure what you mean by "kind of people" but all the other applicants that interviewed on the same day as I were all very nice and easy to talk to. Very typical mixture, some graduating seniors, some people who have been out for a couple of years. Lots of California residents.

Hey guys.

I believe I can be of some help here. I had my interview a couple of weeks ago, and almost everyone in my interview group (myself included) was either in a wheelchair or used crutches. It seems to me like they're recruiting a student population with handicaps or disabilities.

I believe I can be of some help here. I had my interview a couple of weeks ago, and almost everyone in my interview group (myself included) was either in a wheelchair or used crutches. It seems to me like they're recruiting a student population with handicaps or disabilities.

???????????????

Hi guys,

Just wanted to confirm what someone else already said--they are already sending out acceptances at UCR! I just got mine yesterday!

I interviewed mid-late January, average stats (MCAT in early 30s, GPA above 3.5 but below 3.8), really great extracurriculars, non-trad. Non-UCR undergrad.

Also a note to those who've already interviewed: they send acceptances by snail mail. It scared the crap out of me because I thought it was a rejection.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to confirm what someone else already said--they are already sending out acceptances at UCR! I just got mine yesterday!

I interviewed mid-late January, average stats (MCAT in early 30s, GPA above 3.5 but below 3.8), really great extracurriculars, non-trad. Non-UCR undergrad.

Also a note to those who've already interviewed: they send acceptances by snail mail. It scared the crap out of me because I thought it was a rejection.

Congrats!!!!

Does this correlate with the timeline they had given you during interviews, or did you hear earlier than expected?

Last edited:

0/10 -- I knew this was a troll post before I even read it thanks to your username.

Hi guys,

Congrats! What do you think of UCR after interviewing there? I'm really curious about this school.

Hi guys,

Congrats!! Do they indicate that they sent you the letter in the "Communication Status" tab of your status page?

Congrats! What do you think of UCR after interviewing there? I'm really curious about this school.

I only interviewed at two places (including UCR), but I have to say that I absolutely loved it there. The curriculum is exactly what I wanted--a great blend of PBL, traditional systems-based blocks, and "other", which involves a lot of work in the community and having a mentor physician help navigate you through. I also love the small class sizes. Plus, the focus is very strongly on primary care and improving the overall wellness of the Inland Empire, and they're very devoted to that cause.

Additionally, with very few exceptions, I really loved everyone I met at the interviews. They seem to be selecting for a certain type of person, as most people were friendly and interesting and had lots of life experience. Everyone at my interview day was from Southern California (or had lived there for a long time, like me). Plus, the interview day was unexpectedly low-stress and fun. I know everyone has said this, but it's true: the interviewers really do just want to put you at ease and hear what you have to say.

Overall, it seems like UCR just has a lot more flexibility than the other UCs, specifically because they're brand new. The curriculum is about as forward-thinking as you can get, and though a lot of resources haven't been put in place yet, it gives you ample opportunity to take leadership roles and start those groups yourself. The faculty and staff seem to be incredibly supportive and encouraging of creativity.

Congrats!! Do they indicate that they sent you the letter in the "Communication Status" tab of your status page?

They did not! Probably has to do with the fact that they sent it by snail mail, so there's no email record of communication. For one panicky moment, I thought someone was trying to pull a horrible, horrible prank on me. :rolleyes: So if your communication status hasn't changed, that doesn't mean anything. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Congrats!!!!

Does this correlate with the timeline they had given you during interviews, or did you hear earlier than expected?

The response was WAY earlier than expected! They told me to expect to hear back any time between the end of February/early March all the way up through May (and beyond, if waitlisted). Definitely a pleasant surprise and a relief.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only interviewed at two places (including UCR), but I have to say that I absolutely loved it there. The curriculum is exactly what I wanted--a great blend of PBL, traditional systems-based blocks, and "other", which involves a lot of work in the community and having a mentor physician help navigate you through. I also love the small class sizes. Plus, the focus is very strongly on primary care and improving the overall wellness of the Inland Empire, and they're very devoted to that cause.

Additionally, with very few exceptions, I really loved everyone I met at the interviews. They seem to be selecting for a certain type of person, as most people were friendly and interesting and had lots of life experience. Everyone at my interview day was from Southern California (or had lived there for a long time, like me). Plus, the interview day was unexpectedly low-stress and fun. I know everyone has said this, but it's true: the interviewers really do just want to put you at ease and hear what you have to say.

Overall, it seems like UCR just has a lot more flexibility than the other UCs, specifically because they're brand new. The curriculum is about as forward-thinking as you can get, and though a lot of resources haven't been put in place yet, it gives you ample opportunity to take leadership roles and start those groups yourself. The faculty and staff seem to be incredibly supportive and encouraging of creativity.

They did not! Probably has to do with the fact that they sent it by snail mail, so there's no email record of communication. For one panicky moment, I thought someone was trying to pull a horrible, horrible prank on me. :rolleyes: So if your communication status hasn't changed, that doesn't mean anything. Fingers crossed for everyone!

The response was WAY earlier than expected! They told me to expect to hear back any time between the end of February/early March all the way up through May (and beyond, if waitlisted). Definitely a pleasant surprise and a relief.

Hey! Thanks for all your info, it really helps to know. Did you send them anything after your interview? I want to update them but I don't know how much help it would be. Thanks again for your help! And congrats on your acceptance :)

Thank you for this mature and thoughtful response. I was looking for something along the lines of this.

Hi guys,

Congrats!!! I'm still waiting from early-mid January. Has anyone else heard back? :)

So no email acceptances? Only via snail mail? Gosh.... That makes it so much more nerve racking...

Thank you for this mature and thoughtful response. I was looking for something along the lines of this. :laugh:

Accepted!! I finally checked my mail at my old apartment. I guess they are letting applicants know only via snail mail, but I guess most of you knew that already.

Good luck everyone and hanging in there!

Oh I interviewed 2/2/13 if you're interested.

Accepted!! I finally checked my mail at my old apartment. I guess they are letting applicants know only via snail mail, but I guess most of you knew that already.

Congrats!!!! Did you send any correspondence after your interview? Like updates or loi's? Thanks for your update! :)

Congrats!!!! Did you send any correspondence after your interview? Like updates or loi's? Thanks for your update! :)

No, I didn't send anything. The time flew by really quick. I felt like I just interviewed there.

Congratulations! :p

ii today! I am really excited about this one!

Hmm Interviewed on 2/2 as well...I think I ended up in the rejection wait-list pile.

Hmm Interviewed on 2/2 as well...I think I ended up in the rejection wait-list pile.

I interviewed on the Jan 26th. I called in and they said that they still had a few meetings scheduled for my application and they haven't put anyone on a alternate/waitlist yet, so I wouldn't be to worried until like next week or the week after. They also said that they're not really putting any updates on the website so the best bet I guess would be to call in if you're really worried. I don't know how many people have been accepted already but from my speculation from what they told me, it hasn't been TOO many... but that may just be me being hopeful.

Thanks again for all the updates everyone, and good luck!!

Good to know. Some of my faith has been restored again. Thanks for the update!

Just a heads up to anyone who has interviewed here. Make sure you check your snail mail frequently (if you don't have access to it everyday) because you have to respond within two weeks of the date the acceptance letter was sent in order to keep the acceptance.

Just a heads up to anyone who has interviewed here. Make sure you check your snail mail frequently (if you don't have access to it everyday) because you have to respond within two weeks of the date the acceptance letter was sent in order to keep the acceptance.

Yup, this is true. No deposit required though, which is nice.

For those that have been accepted... We're there any follow up emails with regards to the snail mail acceptance? I'm just worried that some may be lost in the mail in which case you could miss the two week deadline. I guess I am just concerned bc I am living abroad and worried that international mail may be a bit unreliable as it has been time to time... Of course.... I completely know how slim the chances of getting in are... But still hopeful!!!

For those that have been accepted... We're there any follow up emails with regards to the snail mail acceptance? I'm just worried that some may be lost in the mail in which case you could miss the two week deadline. I guess I am just concerned bc I am living abroad and worried that international mail may be a bit unreliable as it has been time to time... Of course.... I completely know how slim the chances of getting in are... But still hopeful!!!

So, I received an email about 4 or 5 days after I received the snail mail. The email was asking if I had received the letter. I think I didn't respond to the email that day and by the next day I had a phone call from the school to make sure that I got the email.

Ah... Perfect. Very helpful! Thanks so much! That makes me feel a tad better... Although I would feel a whole lot better if I got accepted... Ahahaha... Sigh.

Ah... Perfect. Very helpful! Thanks so much! That makes me feel a tad better... Although I would feel a whole lot better if I got accepted... Ahahaha... Sigh.

No problem. Hang in there, its still early.

Interviewed Feb. 23rd. Withdrew my application. Good luck everyone!

Interviewed 2/9! Accepted this past Saturday! I paid a couple of dollars to have the letter of acceptance sent with a tracking number. I think it's worth it to ease any anxiety of it getting lost.

They are still sending out IIs, so hang in there everyone! :thumbup:

Interviewed 2/9! Accepted this past Saturday! I paid a couple of dollars to have the letter of acceptance sent with a tracking number. I think it's worth it to ease any anxiety of it getting lost.

Congrats on the acceptance! Idk if this school is having a second look but I look forward to meeting you.

Has anyone got wait-listed or rejected yet? I interviewed on 2/2 and haven't heard back. I'm starting to get worried..

Congrats! I interviewed on the 9th too. Were you AM or PM?

"Your application has been carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee and it is with regret that I must inform you that we are unable to take further action on your application.

Because of the exceptionally competitive applicant pool this year, the selection process has been unusually difficult and the Admissions Committee had to select a small number of students from a much larger number of academically qualified applicants.

We greatly appreciate your interest in the UCR School of Medicine and wish you success in your personal and professional endeavors."

Things are"unusually competitive" for a brand new school huh? Didn't realize they just copy and paste rejection statements.

"Your application has been carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee and it is with regret that I must inform you that we are unable to take further action on your application.

Because of the exceptionally competitive applicant pool this year, the selection process has been unusually difficult and the Admissions Committee had to select a small number of students from a much larger number of academically qualified applicants.

We greatly appreciate your interest in the UCR School of Medicine and wish you success in your personal and professional endeavors."

Things are"unusually competitive" for a brand new school huh? Didn't realize they just copy and paste rejection statements.

Sorry to hear... Is this post or pre interview?

Sorry for the bad news....

Was this email, snail mail, if post interview when? I feel like it might be my turn soon to get this message....

It's not a brand new school at all... They're used to having 200 applicants for 24 spots and now the applicant pool increased tenfold with the acceptance pool only doubling. I'm sorry about your outcome but if you did your research you shouldn't be too shocked.

It's not a brand new school at all... They're used to having 200 applicants for 24 spots and now the applicant pool increased tenfold with the acceptance pool only doubling. I'm sorry about your outcome but if you did your research you shouldn't be too shocked.

So... I'm still a bit confused on this bit. It's not REALLY double spots right? Since half are supposedly still reserved for Riverside students. So, if 200 Riverside students apply, they are fighting for 24 spots, and the 2500 other applicants are pretty much fighting for the other 26. At least, that is what it seems like people have been saying. Confusing... :scared:

About 2500 students applied (UCR alums + non-UCR alums), ~700 received secondaries, 210 interviewed, 50 accepted (24 UCR alums + 26 non-UCR alums).

Status
Not open for further replies.