2012-2013 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I think this secondary may very well be the most comprehensive I've seen yet. How dreadful. Worth it, yes, but still very much deserving of a middle school sulk in your desk with an exaggerated sigh accompanied by an "Awwwwwwww, MAN!"

No?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. I think this secondary may very well be the most comprehensive I've seen yet. How dreadful. Worth it, yes, but still very much deserving of a middle school sulk in your desk with an exaggerated sigh accompanied by an "Awwwwwwww, MAN!"

No?

Yea, it's awful. Soooooo long.

I feel very repetitive in this secondary especially the chronology questions which seem to ask exactly what I put on my primary, is it okay to essentially reword the exact same thing? I don't know what else to do or what they want. they had to know this information would be on our primary anyways. Anyone else having a hard time with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone formatting the chronology questions? Making a list or writing it out essay style?

How far back should our chronology of employment history go? Only post-secondary?

How far back should our chronology of employment history go? Only post-secondary?

I emailed them with this question and they said that they should be from the beginning of college to the present.

I have worked as a research assistant at a lab where they pay me so it technically counts as employment. However, since they ask to describe research experience in another question, I can't exactly repeat the information so I don't know what to put under the description of employment. Anyone have a similar problem? or suggestions?:confused:

Is it just me or do there seem to be serious formatting issues with secondary website? I've tried it in both Firefox and IE, and it just looks like something is messed up. Just a bunch of poorly organized text boxes.

Do we really only have to list the year, school, and grade under prerequisites?

Is it just me or do there seem to be serious formatting issues with secondary website? I've tried it in both Firefox and IE, and it just looks like something is messed up. Just a bunch of poorly organized text boxes.

Do we really only have to list the year, school, and grade under prerequisites?

I haven't experienced any significant formatting issues yet, but I'll be sure to post here if I do.

Yes, that is all you have to list. I know; the majority of this secondary is rather pointless. It makes me :bang:

What I'm doing is listing them twice in each relevant section, but the second time instead of copying the description, I just said something like "see description above".

PS. This secondary is a nightmare.

Thanks, that really helped.

Last edited:
How do we tell if the school has received our letters of recommendation?

I was wondering if anyone knows about miami interview to acceptance rate. i was looked at last years stats and they only interviewed about 450 for a class of more than 200. since most of the midtier schools normally accept more than 100 than the size of their incoming class does that mean that getting an interview at miami means you are very likely going to get accepted? Thanks.

Last year:

Instate:
Interviewed 272
Matriculated 141 (52%)
Deferred 6

OOS:
Interviewed 178
Matriculated 63 (35%)
Deferred 2

Are any of you including activities you did before college? I was very active in team sports in high school but since college I have only done individual exercise (weightlifting, yoga, running, etc.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone knows about miami interview to acceptance rate. i was looked at last years stats and they only interviewed about 450 for a class of more than 200. since most of the midtier schools normally accept more than 100 than the size of their incoming class does that mean that getting an interview at miami means you are very likely going to get accepted? Thanks.

It is kind of an unwritten (and sometimes written) rule of med school admissions not to include anything from high school with the exception of things like being an Eagle Scout or maybe some hospital volunteering/shadowing in high school that led to you deciding to pursue medicine.

Yeah, that's why I asked. Obviously, though, for things I've done since before college, I should include those, right? Like I'm not going to pretend that I started weightlifting in college when I'd actually done it in high school.

Yeah, that's why I asked. Obviously, though, for things I've done since before college, I should include those, right? Like I'm not going to pretend that I started weightlifting in college when I'd actually done it in high school.

Yeah that's definitely fine.

After laboring with this secondary, I submitted today and completed the payment. In the receipt email, I noticed formatting changes on my responses. My apostrophes were all turned to question marks, and half of the dash marks I used in the chronologies were turned to question marks as well. Anyone else get this? I'm not sure what to do.

After laboring with this secondary, I submitted today and completed the payment. In the receipt email, I noticed formatting changes on my responses. My apostrophes were all turned to question marks, and half of the dash marks I used in the chronologies were turned to question marks as well. Anyone else get this? I'm not sure what to do.

Yes I had the same issue. I wouldnt worry about it.

Same thing happened to me. Hopefully it's just the email conformation...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using SDN Mobile

How much did the secondary cost this year? I haven't received anything yet but I meet the supposed cut off for the #'s so hopefully I'll hear something soon. My primary just went out the other day I think.

how much did the secondary cost this year? I haven't received anything yet but i meet the supposed cut off for the #'s so hopefully i'll hear something soon. My primary just went out the other day i think.

$75

Has anyone received a complete email yet? I submitted everything on July 5th and was wondering if anyone has been marked complete that submitted everything roughyl at the same time.

Has anyone received a complete email yet? I submitted everything on July 5th and was wondering if anyone has been marked complete that submitted everything roughyl at the same time.

Nope and I finished the secondary 7/3.

Just to clarify, we are supposed to email a photo of ourselves to Miami admissions only after we get a "completed" email right? Odd. Why don't they just allow us to attach the photo with the secondary?

Just to clarify, we are supposed to email a photo of ourselves to Miami admissions only after we get a "completed" email right? Odd. Why don't they just allow us to attach the photo with the secondary?

No idea why we can't just include in the secondary, but according to the instructions you can send it in as soon as you receive an email saying you've submitted your app. No need to wait for a "complete" email.

No idea why we can't just include in the secondary, but according to the instructions you can send it in as soon as you receive an email saying you've submitted your app. No need to wait for a "complete" email.

Yes you can send it right after you submit the secondary. They responded with a "Thanks, 'my name!'" Very minor obviously, but very nice nonetheless. I don't know any school that would respond like that for something we are required to do.

Wow thanks guys. I must have read the instructions wrong. I submitted a few days ago, but I hadn't sent in the photograph yet.

On top of all those nasty questions, if you apply to do md/mph they add on 3 more I think!!

Anyone know what the class scheduling is like at Miami? Is it pass/fail? Early patient contact? Anything else that might be helpful? Thanks!

Are there any current students out there who could answer this question? They are in the process of laying off over 800 people from the medical school. Seems like a lot of people from just the medical school but the article is on the website. Are there any concerns about what is going on there?

Does anyone know if Miami accepts Physics AP credit? They explicitly list english, gen chem, and biology on the website as requirements that can be fulfilled with AP credit, but don't mention physics.

There are a few others that some may find helpful. In addition to the two listed above in jlescher's post, there are these (some may not apply to you, and, if that is the case, you do not have to answer them) :

3 Chronology questions (500 word limits; When asked for a chronology, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity.):

1. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
2. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your employment.
3. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your community service/volunteering.

7 Others (also 500 word limits)

1. Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
2. Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.
3. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
4. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
5. Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow).
6. Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
7. Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if anything in this post needs clarification. This secondary is definitely a beast. Good luck to all!

On this post it says to provide a brief description of the activity in the chronology questions. Now that I have the secondary, it just says make a list but mentions nothing about a description. Is everyone including descriptions? I worked really hard on all the writing and would like to include the descriptions but I don't want them to think I can't follow directions if all they want is a list. Help!!!

On this post it says to provide a brief description of the activity in the chronology questions. Now that I have the secondary, it just says make a list but mentions nothing about a description. Is everyone including descriptions? I worked really hard on all the writing and would like to include the descriptions but I don't want them to think I can't follow directions if all they want is a list. Help!!!

It says in the directions they attached to the secondary invitation to include descriptions in the chronology questions... at least it does in the copy I was sent (Step 6 of the document).

Last edited:
For those of you who have sent in application photos, are there size specifications? I can't find a size or pixel limit anywhere and most other secondaries give them.

It says in the directions they attached to the secondary invitation to include descriptions in the chronology questions... at least it does in the copy I was sent (Step 6 of the document).

That's weird. My step 6 is "6. When you are ready to answer all of the questions on the printed application reopen the Secondary Application link." The title for my pdf is "secondary application instructions rev3.pdf" Is yours the same? Could "rev3" mean revision 3? I hope they aren't sending different instructions to people, that wouldn't be fair. I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what they say. :bang:

That's weird. My step 6 is "6. When you are ready to answer all of the questions on the printed application reopen the Secondary Application link." The title for my pdf is "secondary application instructions rev3.pdf" Is yours the same? Could "rev3" mean revision 3? I hope they aren't sending different instructions to people, that wouldn't be fair. I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what they say. :bang:

interesting... that's definitely my step 7.
"6. When asked for a chronology, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity."
I have Secondary Application Instructions Rev3.pdf as well. Weird indeed haha.

"6. When asked for a chronology, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity."

The chronology questions are never even mentioned in my instructions. Aaahhhh!!!

Same here.

Wow even though I'm basically copying and pasting in responses this is still taking forever.

Bet you each adcom person has one particular question they like that they read and ignore everything else.

Spent my whole day at work filling this thing out. Really glad to have this secondary behind me. Now I get a break until the lazy schools send me their secondaries.

After I submitted, I got an email with a summary of my app. There is absolutely ZERO formatting in the summary. Does this mean I lost all formatting when I submitted?

There are no paragraph breaks, whatsoever. A couple of my apostrophe's turned into "?". Hmm....

Also, as a general complaint, the vast majority of secondaries that I've completed have had technically glitches. If I'm paying this much money to apply, is it too much to ask that my essays get formatted properly? End rant.

After I submitted, I got an email with a summary of my app. There is absolutely ZERO formatting in the summary. Does this mean I lost all formatting when I submitted?

There are no paragraph breaks, whatsoever. A couple of my apostrophe's turned into "?". Hmm....

Also, as a general complaint, the vast majority of secondaries that I've completed have had technically glitches. If I'm paying this much money to apply, is it too much to ask that my essays get formatted properly? End rant.

I had this problem and I believe a few other people in this thread did as well. I emailed Acteva and they told me it happens sometimes if you copy/paste into the form. They told me to log back in and fix it manually (i just typed in apostrophes where question marks had been inserted) and added spaces. They "resubmitted" it to UM and the question mark issue is fixed. I think the lack of paragraph breaks is just how it appears in the body of your confirmation email.

That's how I understand it anyway....hope that helps!

I had this problem and I believe a few other people in this thread did as well. I emailed Acteva and they told me it happens sometimes if you copy/paste into the form. They told me to log back in and fix it manually (i just typed in apostrophes where question marks had been inserted) and added spaces. They "resubmitted" it to UM and the question mark issue is fixed. I think the lack of paragraph breaks is just how it appears in the body of your confirmation email.

That's how I understand it anyway....hope that helps!

Who is this? I just sent an email to [email protected] to describe my problem.

Who is this? I just sent an email to [email protected] to describe my problem.

Acteva is the event registration/management company that UM uses I guess....I emailed their customer support when they sent me a confirmation email and I noticed the formatting errors. I don't think it matters whether you email them or UM.

I had the same problem and also called actaeva and they told me to modify the order. I went back to the application and edited it and it looks the way it's supposed to but there's no way to officially resubmit it. Do you have to call and ask them to resubmit?

Status
Not open for further replies.