2012-2013 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected. Ouch. Is it too early to call and ask how to better my application for next year?
I honestly would email them Monday and ask. Are you here in Columbia? I applied last cycle, didn't get in, emailed Alison soon after, and she let me come in and talk to her. She couldn't get real specific about my application, but she gave me some good advice nonetheless. I'm very glad I went and talked to her.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly would email them Monday and ask. Are you here in Columbia? I applied last cycle, didn't get in, emailed Alison soon after, and she let me come in and talk to her. She couldn't get real specific about my application, but she gave me some good advice nonetheless. I'm very glad I went and talked to her.

I'm in Jefferson City, so it's not too horrible of a commute for me. Thanks for the advice! Good luck!

Rejected, too. Honestly, I have not been too happy at all with how Mizzou has treated all of us throughout this whole process (so many seemingly random things and few answers). I have received MUCH better reception from other schools. Nonetheless, I wish the best of luck to the rest of you on the waitlist or still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected, too. Honestly, I have not been too happy at all with how Mizzou has treated all of us throughout this whole process (so many seemingly random things and few answers). I have received MUCH better reception from other schools. Nonetheless, I wish the best of luck to the rest of you on the waitlist or still waiting!

Honestly, me too. Except for Anita, who was wonderful.

Last year after I was rejected, I waited a couple weeks and called to see if I could get some feedback. Told I needed to email them. I emailed them on 3 separate occasions, never heard back.

Honestly, me too. Except for Anita, who was wonderful.

Last year after I was rejected, I waited a couple weeks and called to see if I could get some feedback. Told I needed to email them. I emailed them on 3 separate occasions, never heard back.

Ya they've never emailed me back too. I tried calling asking them how I can improve my app and they said they can't give me specifics and told me to join their Med Prep courses (more money and something I dont need). so I emailed them specifically once they denied me pre-interview and never got responses.

My boyfriend however has gotten immediate responses to all his questions throughout the whole cycle and he got accepted. I guess they liked him better then me?:p

good luck to you all. I really hope the best for you. It's been awesome communicating with all you through this grueling process. hopefully, I'll see some of you guys next year. remember to everyone who got rejected...MIZZOU loves reapplicants from what i hear. Just improve the app whether it be MCAT score or taking classes or an SMP or even working and getting "real life" experience that you would otherwise not be able to get. I know I will take this as a learning experience (albeit, a tough one) and will do everything in my power to improve my MCAT score...I won't let this one rejection ruin my life. My dream is to become a physician and I will make sure it will happen. Until next time....

I'm bottom third. Blargh. Looks like I'm headed to Arizona!

Good luck to all in the top and those with acceptances. Mizzou is a wonderful program, please remember that every day you grumble about something! :)

Middle third for me too.

All of us on the waitlist probably would've been accepted outright at any other school. Mizzou just had a weird process.

Okay. I'll give it to Mizzou. I was very bitter about the application process in general, but they really looked at my application holistically because just got in the "Top Third" of the waiting list. I'm in total shock. Absolutely cannot believe in it. Someone somewhere is really looking out for me.

For those of you that did not get some good news, I can honestly tell you I didn't believe it when people preached to me that I can get in if I keep working hard and improve my application. I can definitely say that Med School admissions process is definitely more than just numbers.

Last edited:
Okay. I'll give it to Mizzou. I was very bitter about the application process in general, but they really looked at my application holistically because just got in the "Top Third" of the waiting list. I'm in total shock. Absolutely cannot believe in it. Someone somewhere is really looking out for me.

For those of you that did not get some good news, I can honestly tell you I didn't believe it when people preached to me that I can get in if I keep working hard and improve my application. I can definitely say that Med School admissions process is definitely more than just numbers.

Can you explain your application for those of us who weren't so lucky? What are your numbers, and what do you believe the admissions committee took into account that had nothing to do with those numbers?

I m not a frequent talker on the forum, but i do have to say that mizzou does take its time in letting the students know about their decision. I was told that I was on the top third, very surprised.

cgpa ~ 3.8, sgpa ~3.7, mcat - 29 (second time), 19 (first time)

few activities, but all were long time activities. Organic Chemistry tutoring for 3 yrs, and so on.

they were very nice to me always replied to my emails with in minutes. One of the reasons i do like mizzou is because they give opportunity to students with late interviews. I was interviewed in late nov. I was tired of the status unchanged, but they are giving everyone an opportunity. So i do want to thank them for waiting before they decide.

hope this helps... and congrats to everyone that were accepted. I am really sad to see that some the sdn members were rejected. But plz keep ur hopes high (I know easy to say...), but i really hope that your dreams do come true real soon. Gl with all the other schools.

To all the alternate list ppl, hang on, this will be a wild ride... i will update when i get a notice, if i get one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I m not a frequent talker on the forum, but i do have to say that mizzou does take its time in letting the students know about their decision. I was told that I was on the top third, very surprised.

cgpa ~ 3.8, sgpa ~3.7, mcat - 29 (second time), 19 (first time)

few activities, but all were long time activities. Organic Chemistry tutoring for 3 yrs, and so on.

they were very nice to me always replied to my emails with in minutes. One of the reasons i do like mizzou is because they give opportunity to students with late interviews. I was interviewed in late nov. I was tired of the status unchanged, but they are giving everyone an opportunity. So i do want to thank them for waiting before they decide.

hope this helps... and congrats to everyone that were accepted. I am really sad to see that some the sdn members were rejected. But plz keep ur hopes high (I know easy to say...), but i really hope that your dreams do come true real soon. Gl with all the other schools.

To all the alternate list ppl, hang on, this will be a wild ride... i will update when i get a notice, if i get one.

cgpa 3.6 scpa 3.5 MCAT 1st (27) and 2nd (25)
Reapplicant/ Mizzou resident
Everything on my application had a purpose rather than check-listing. All my activities were long-term. The one thing that helped me was a very strong interview. It was almost as if they treated me as a colleague than a student. I was comforted that they didn't treat me any less because of weaker MCAT/GPA compared to many other successful applicants. I didn't believe it first when Monocles told me but I have to say that I was wrong. Mizzou definitely looks at the whole person rather than just the numbers.

I'm not an expert by any means but these are just my experiences. Hope it helps!

Looking at your previous posts and reading about your experiences, it makes me believe that I definitely need some more volunteering/shadowing experience to create a solid application and show my interest and dedication.

I was rejected outright today with undergrad cGPA: 3.29 and sGPA: 3.34, graduate GPA: 3.85 (Public Health), MCAT 33. Undergrad GPA had upward trend over 4 years, freshman year killed it though. Also a Missouri resident.

I've had multiple paid jobs in health care (unit secretary, pharmacy technician), volunteered for a semester at Medzou, had an internship at a local health department, and I am now shadowing at an urgent care clinic (30 hrs. so far, brought up in my interview but was too recent to make it on my AMCAS), among other experiences.

I thought I had a good chance, but clearly it wasn't enough to really even be considered.

Last edited:
Looking at your previous posts and reading about your experiences, it makes me believe that I definitely need some more volunteering/shadowing experience to create a solid application and show my interest and dedication.

I was rejected outright today with undergrad cGPA: 3.29 and sGPA: 3.34, graduate GPA: 3.85 (Public Health), MCAT 33. Undergrad GPA had upward trend over 4 years, freshman year killed it though. Also a Missouri resident.

I've had multiple paid jobs in health care (unit secretary, pharmacy technician), volunteered for a semester at Medzou, had an internship at a local health department, and I am now shadowing at an urgent care clinic (30 hrs. so far, brought up in my interview but was too recent to make it on my AMCAS), among other experiences.

I thought I had a good chance, but clearly it wasn't enough to really even be considered.

GPA is just too low. Mizzou's median matriculant is ~3.8.

GPA is just too low. Mizzou's median matriculant is ~3.8.

And their median MCAT is 31 but Samanouske is on top third of the waitlist with a 25.

The point is that it's about more than just numbers and I'm missing those other selection factors.

And their median MCAT is 31 but Samanouske is on top third of the waitlist with a 25.

The point it that I'm missing those other selection factors.

Mizzou takes the highest score into consideration. A 27 is the 10th percentile; your GPA is below the 10th percentile.

But yes, other factors besides stats do matter.

Mizzou takes the highest score into consideration. A 27 is the 10th percentile; your GPA is below the 10th percentile.

Then why was I even given an interview?

EDIT: Your answer doesn't matter.
My science GPA my freshman year was below 3. My junior and senior years it was over 3.7. They obviously take this into account, that's why it's broken down by year on the AMCAS application. If I had a GPA of 3.29 every year for 4 years, you would have a valid point about my academic record.

But yes, other factors besides stats do matter.
mizzou does not take the highest score into consideration. they take the most recent score. i was specifically told this on interview day

My science GPA my freshman year was below 3. My junior and senior years it was over 3.7. They obviously take this into account, that's why it's broken down by year on the AMCAS application. If I had a GPA of 3.29 every year for 4 years, you would have a valid point about my academic record.
but, yes the cgpa is a little low. if you had a 3.34 science and a 3.5 cgpa i think you would have a much better shot, especially if your sgpa your later years were all above 3.7

The point is that it's about more than just numbers and I'm missing those other selection factors.
maybe what you're missing is a well rounded app. everything you've mentioned so far ALLLL relates to medicine. Do something that is outside of medicine that you're interested in. Try to apply to programs like AmeriCorps or such, or go into tutoring inner city kids (or any kids for that matter). Med schools love apps that have other activities that are not medical related

My GPA trend was very strong. 3.0 sGPA freshman year and finished with 3.6 sGPA senior year. It's not easy obviously to do that but it definitely shows dedication and Mizzou takes that into consideration. And for my MCAT, you can't really trend with two MCAT scores especially with my breakdown. I will NOT post my breakdown so please don't ask. Also, remember that your recommendation letters play a pretty big part too. Aside from the MCAT scores and GPA, the recommendation letters are another thing they try to run parallels with.

And like I mentioned previously, I feel that my interview played a pretty significant part.

It doesn't matter what we speculate. In the end, we'll never know. :/ Who knows, maybe many of us top-third waitlisters may not get in.....Weird things happen all the time...

BTW. In my opinion, futuredoc27 is correct. Too much MEDICAL activities isn't always looked favorably upon. It's more important to show commitment to something rather than some over-the-top crazy unique extra-curricular activity for a brief period of time. I always thought that was some PR speech but turns out I was wrong and and I'm sure many others who're way more successful than I was in this application cycle will tell you similar - commitment.

Last edited:

Total GPA does matter. I'm not sure why you think it doesn't. Your GPA is low; accept it and move on.

Edit: Most everyone's application has a weakness; especially those students who end up needing to reapply. Being defensive about it isn't a good way to go.

There are many plausible reasons for why you were given an interview; largest of which is probably the fact that you are a MO resident. Just because you are given an interview does not mean everything in your file is acceptable to all members of the ADCOM. Whichever ADCOM member(s) decided you were worthy of an interview may have overlooked your GPA, while other members of the voting ADCOM may have not.

mizzou does not take the highest score into consideration. they take the most recent score. i was specifically told this on interview day

I was told highest score by both of my interviewers. "lucky for you we use your best score..." or something along those lines.

That sounds a lot like my first app cycle at mizzou. 4.0 gpa, <30 mcat (but still close to median), and rejected. I think mizzou accepts a different type of person than you and I are, and we're probably better off at a school with a better fit.

That sounds a lot like my first app cycle at mizzou. 4.0 gpa, <30 mcat (but still close to median), and rejected. I think mizzou accepts a different type of person than you and I are, and we're probably better off at a school with a better fit.

You got in somewhere this year, right?

Does anyone else who went to second look and is still deciding between schools think their decision is going to be harder than ever now?? I wasn't initially sold on Mizzou but I loved the weekend there and now I have absolutely no idea which school I am going to pick!

Does anyone else who went to second look and is still deciding between schools think their decision is going to be harder than ever now?? I wasn't initially sold on Mizzou but I loved the weekend there and now I have absolutely no idea which school I am going to pick!

I don't have schools to decide between (pending some schools that haven't even sent me any interview invites but haven't rejected me yet either), but Second Look really made Mizzou stand out. I definitely came away even more impressed and excited about attending.

Volunteering and shadowing, especially in a medical setting, definitely helps. I was rejected pre-interview last year, and I was lucky enough to get feedback from the admissions office so that I could realize what I needed to strengthen. My ucGPA was less than what CHerm0 had, my usGPA was even lower than that, and my graduate GPA in biology was around what CHerm0 had. I am in state and both my degrees were granted at a top 15 research institution, with my undergraduate degree coming in a very difficult major. I also had the same MCAT. Despite that, just about every other school has told me that even though my gGPA was amazing, my uGPA needed to be improved, and I was told to go back and take more undergraduate science classes by some of these schools. Mizzou was one of the exceptions that noticed my improvement through my academic career, and I was actually lucky enough to be accepted in the batch of 30 or whatever it was earlier this month.

CHerm0, I don't know if what you listed is the extent of your EC's; I ended up using all 15 spots AMCAS allows (and had to combine some that were similar so that I could squeeze it all in). Another thing you could try is asking the admissions office for feedback. I know some people did not have great experiences. I e-mailed the general admissions e-mail address asking if there was someone I could talk to on how to improve my application, though I directed the e-mail specifically to Lindsey, and I eventually was able to talk to someone over the phone, so maybe by specifically writing to someone you'll fare better.

I don't profess to know anything about the medical school admissions process. The only lesson that I've learned these past few years while trying to make myself competitive enough to get accepted somewhere is that there is no magic formula for any specific school, especially since different schools say different things. I can say though that if there's hope for me, there's hope for just about anybody. Seeing so much disappointment on this thread this past weekend was rough, and I know how you all feel; I had to go through it almost fifty other times these past two years, not to mention struggling to get back on track while seeing my classmates move on with their careers. But it only takes one school for you to reach your goal, and I do believe that with some hard work you all can attain some desirable results. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Congrats to all those who got accepted, yay! :) Glad to hear that we were able to convince some of you through second look day. :D

Sorry I can't answer every single question posted on top individually, but at Mizzou the OME tries very hard to look at everyone's applications holistically. A high score doesn't always correlate to being a fantastic future physician. For instance, someone with an MCAT of 35 may be brilliant academically, but if they have low empathy and cannot relate to patients well, they won't be a good doctor. (Okay, so they can still go into pathology or radiology but that's another story :p) The point is, once again it's not just about numbers. I have classmates who scored in the mid 20s who are doing stellar academically, and taking on all sorts of leadership positions in extracurricular activities.

Volunteering and shadowing, especially in a medical setting, definitely helps. I was rejected pre-secondary last year, and I was lucky enough to get feedback from the admissions office that I needed more medical experience and that everything else was fine. My ucGPA was less than what CHerm0 had, my usGPA was even lower than that, and my graduate GPA in biology was around what CHerm0 had. I am in state and both my degrees were granted at a top 15 research institution, with my undergraduate degree coming in a very difficult major. I also had the same MCAT. Despite that, just about every other school has told me that even though my gGPA was amazing, my uGPA needed to be improved, and I was told to go back and take more undergraduate science classes by some of these schools. Mizzou was one of the exceptions that noticed my improvement through my academic career, and I was actually lucky enough to be accepted in the batch of 30 or whatever it was earlier this month.

CHerm0, I don't know if what you listed is the extent of your EC's; I ended up using all 15 spots AMCAS allows (and had to combine some that were similar so that I could squeeze it all in). Another thing you could try is asking the admissions office for feedback. I know some people did not have great experiences. I e-mailed the general admissions e-mail address asking if there was someone I could talk to on how to improve my application, though I directed the e-mail specifically to Lindsey, and I eventually was able to talk to someone over the phone, so maybe by specifically writing to someone you'll fare better.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Congrats to all those who got accepted, yay! :) Glad to hear that we were able to convince some of you through second look day. :D

Sorry I can't answer every single question posted on top individually, but at Mizzou the OME tries very hard to look at everyone's applications holistically. A high score doesn't always correlate to being a fantastic future physician. For instance, someone with an MCAT of 35 may be brilliant academically, but if they have low empathy and cannot relate to patients well, they won't be a good doctor. (Okay, so they can still go into pathology or radiology but that's another story :p) The point is, once again it's not just about numbers. I have classmates who scored in the mid 20s who are doing stellar academically, and taking on all sorts of leadership positions in extracurricular activities.
thats for the feedback! gives me a some hope about next year...

Hi,
I am from India and have been accepted into the fall 2013 MPH Session.Anyone who can tell me about this program at university of missouri?As to how is the program and what job prospects can be expected post completion of the program.I have to make the final call in a couple of days.
Waiting for replies.

Has anyone heard of any movement on the waitlist?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of any movement on the waitlist?

I was thinking the same and tempted to call the office but I would hate to be THAT person. My patience will probably last until mid April if nobody posts any updates on here.

I assume it's not possible to call and not mention your name?

I think it's better to wait until mid April since that's a reasonable amount of time after their decisions being mailed out and also mid April being closer to the May 15 deadline. Until then, if someone who is already attending Mizzou Med can drop in and give us a quick update, that would be great! :D

EDIT: Facebook group has 70 members, 8 of which are admins. That leaves 34 spots assuming the class size is 96? I'm officially getting a little worried about my alternate list status... since some of the recently accepted may not have joined the group yet... I wonder if Mizzou switched up their selection process.... ugh... paranoid mode...

Last edited:
I hope financial aid info comes out soon! I need it to help make my decision...

Hey everyone! I realize it's getting close to crunch time for some of you to make a decision. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need any advice or have any questions about Mizzou Med!!!! I'm almost done with my first year, and I have really enjoyed it so far. It was REALLY hard for me to make a decision where to spend the next four years of my life, and I'd be happy to share my thoughts with anyone that needs them.

Hello and congrats to anyone recently accepted. I made a post a while ago (a few pages back) about an available room for next year and just wanted to throw it out there again. It's a pretty nice duplex located on Juniper Dr. Rent is pretty cheap. I'll be a fourth year and there is one other roommate that works in town. We're both quiet, easy to live with. If you're interested to know more about it shoot me an email, [email protected].

Anxiously awaiting the pending waitlist movement around May 15th. Anyone been accepted recently?

Anxiously awaiting the pending waitlist movement around May 15th. Anyone been accepted recently?
Same here. Although I'm on the bottom third so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I received a phone call from Alison this morning saying I've been accepted! I was in the top third of the alternate list, so it looks like things are getting moving. Good luck to everyone who's still hoping!

I received a phone call from Alison this morning saying I've been accepted! I was in the top third of the alternate list, so it looks like things are getting moving. Good luck to everyone who's still hoping!

Do you know what number you were in the top third??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.