2012-2013 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that they're still in line for an auto invite, it likely is just a matter of time. I don't think they would mislead us by saying there's an automatic criteria and then disregarding it. I'm betting they have nothing to worry about!

What are the automatic II criteria?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the automatic II criteria?

You know, I could have sworn that their website gave specific criteria in the past, but I just checked again and I don't see anything (unless I am just missing it somewhere). In my head I thought it was anyone who is In-State with a 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA or higher. Was anyone else on the same page?

You know, I could have sworn that their website gave specific criteria in the past, but I just checked again and I don't see anything (unless I am just missing it somewhere). In my head I thought it was anyone who is In-State with a 28 MCAT and 3.5 GPA or higher. Was anyone else on the same page?

Yeah, it's a 28 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Only for automatic secondary. No auto ii.

Only for automatic secondary. No auto ii.

Are you sure? I definitely believe you (and it actually makes me feel better about my interview and prospects for next year should I need to reapply), I had just heard otherwise (albeit from a professor at Mizzou and not the school itself). I guess the only wording they used was "will automatically have a file opened" or something to that effect but I am not sure.

Are you sure? I definitely believe you (and it actually makes me feel better about my interview and prospects for next year should I need to reapply), I had just heard otherwise (albeit from a professor at Mizzou and not the school itself). I guess the only wording they used was "will automatically have a file opened" or something to that effect but I am not sure.

I heard it was an automatic invite as well, although to be fair I think I just got that from previous comments on this thread and others. Those of you on this thread that went to Mizzou, is this something you have heard before? I kind of remember them mentioning it in my interview as well, but I could just be making that memory up.

There are 60 seats left open in the class right now. I think Alison said 18 or so were filled with students in programs with Mizzou that allow for some sort of direct admission and 2 were early decision. The rest are from the monthly admissions (from Oct. - Dec. which is about the commonly cited number of 5 or so a month). Just in case anyone was wondering...

There are 60 seats left open in the class right now. I think Alison said 18 or so were filled with students in programs with Mizzou that allow for some sort of direct admission and 2 were early decision. The rest are from the monthly admissions (from Oct. - Dec. which is about the commonly cited number of 5 or so a month). Just in case anyone was wondering...

So assuming the ~5 people per month trend continues, that leaves about 45 or so spots come March when final decisions are sent out and the wait list is made? I have also heard that Mizzou is one of those schools that has heavy movement off of the wait list (as in 33+ people per year). Kind of regret withdrawing my app knowing this. Oh well, not much I could have done either way.

A file being opened means you get a secondary. This per an adcom at Mizzou som.

I heard it was an automatic invite as well, although to be fair I think I just got that from previous comments on this thread and others. Those of you on this thread that went to Mizzou, is this something you have heard before? I kind of remember them mentioning it in my interview as well, but I could just be making that memory up.

The professor whose lab I work in said that it's an automatic interview invite, not just an automatic secondary. He was on the admissions committee when he told me that so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

I just got an II for Jan. 14th. Anyone else? That's short notice...they don't hesitate to move fast! I'm so excited...this school is my first choice. Any interview advice or information about how the day will go?

I just got an II for Jan. 14th. Anyone else? That's short notice...they don't hesitate to move fast! I'm so excited...this school is my first choice. Any interview advice or information about how the day will go?

Congrats! Just dress well and relax, both of my interviews were very laid back and conversational. You should have nothing to worry about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Mizzou is my absolute top choice and I am stoked to have an interview on 1/29! My stats are 3.81c, 3.79s, 26M MCAT. I am a Mizzou grad with good experiences/extracurriculars. Anyone with appropriate knowledge have any input for bolstering my interview and what might chances might look like? Thank you!!!

Hello! Mizzou is my absolute top choice and I am stoked to have an interview on 1/29! My stats are 3.81c, 3.79s, 26M MCAT. I am a Mizzou grad with good experiences/extracurriculars. Anyone with appropriate knowledge have any input for bolstering my interview and what might chances might look like? Thank you!!!

The way Mizzou's acceptances work (you are given a precise numerical score based upon various aspects of your application and then sorted into a list) and their timeline is structured, only the best of the best have gotten in so far. Almost everyone else is essentially waiting until March to hear a decision. That means your later(ish?) interview isn't all that detrimental to your chances. Since most people are just waiting til March, if you really blow them away with your interview you could get a decent score and be sorted higher than those of us who interviewed in October. Sorry if that just confused you even more.

Edit: I also can't believe that "Mizzou" has not been taken as a name yet haha nice work.

Is there a post-interview status page that may be viewed? Or is the monthly status emailed? Sorry if this has already been answered.

Is there a post-interview status page that may be viewed? Or is the monthly status emailed? Sorry if this has already been answered.

A monthly status email is sent out the last Friday of every month

So assuming the ~5 people per month trend continues, that leaves about 45 or so spots come March when final decisions are sent out and the wait list is made? I have also heard that Mizzou is one of those schools that has heavy movement off of the wait list (as in 33+ people per year). Kind of regret withdrawing my app knowing this. Oh well, not much I could have done either way.

Yes. This is absolutely true. I was on the waitlist last year and ended up being pulled off the waitlist in early June. There are classmates of mine who were accepted almost towards the beginning of July. I don't have the exact numbers but I think it's possible that we pulled almost 40-50 off the waitlist. (Out of our 96 person class)

From my understanding, they accept 96 people (class size) and no more, unlike most other schools that accept 2-3x their class size. The fact that Mizzou accepts so few results in lots of people being pulled off the wait list.

From my understanding, they accept 96 people (class size) and no more, unlike most other schools that accept 2-3x their class size. The fact that Mizzou accepts so few results in lots of people being pulled off the wait list.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but now that you spell it out like that I don't know if I understand how most other med schools work out acceptances. Mizzou's system makes sense to me, accept 96 and make a wait list of 96. As people decline offers, people are pulled off of the wait list.

For schools that accept more people than they have seats, are they just banking on a number of people going somewhere else (i.e. accept a few more people than you have spots for, but still less than you know will decline so that you still pull a few people from the wait list)? What about in the very unlikely chance that very few people decline and you are over the limit? Sorry If this is more confusing, I am just curious.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but now that you spell it out like that I don't know if I understand how most other med schools work out acceptances. Mizzou's system makes sense to me, accept 96 and make a wait list of 96. As people decline offers, people are pulled off of the wait list.

For schools that accept more people than they have seats, are they just banking on a number of people going somewhere else (i.e. accept a few more people than you have spots for, but still less than you know will decline so that you still pull a few people from the wait list)? What about in the very unlikely chance that very few people decline and you are over the limit? Sorry If this is more confusing, I am just curious.

I think they're banking on only some of the aceptees actually choosing their school (and not a different one). So their strategy (imo) is to send out acceptances to attract all of the kids they really want and hope to fill the class with those kids. But they know it might not work out so that also make an alternate list just in case.

I have heard some schools overbooked seats and obviously that would be very problematic. Idk why more schools aren't like Mizzou (accept class size and then go to wait list one by one as kids decline).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Thanks MedPR, I appreciate the input. I guess that's what I was thinking, it just seems like Mizzou's system makes a little bit more sense. Although waiting is unbearable, at least it's good to know that even those on the wait-list (once it is made) stand a solid chance.

Does anyone know if Mizzou gives much financial aid? According to their website, as an OOS student it would cost me between $75,000 and $80,000 per year which is $25,000 a year more than in state.

Does anyone know if Mizzou gives much financial aid? According to their website, as an OOS student it would cost me between $75,000 and $80,000 per year which is $25,000 a year more than in state.

My completely uneducated guess would be yes based on the small class-size and the small amount of OOS students who actually choose to matriculate.

Have an interview tomorrow!

MCAT 32R
3.6 Undergrad GPA/Science GPA
4.0 Graduate GPA (Health Administration)
(4.0 GPA in my last 100 hours, including 30 hours of science classes)
5000+ hospital lab experience
1000+ shadowing
Missouri resident

Totally my first choice, really hope to get in here!

Have an interview tomorrow!

MCAT 32R
3.6 Undergrad GPA/Science GPA
4.0 Graduate GPA (Health Administration)
(4.0 GPA in my last 100 hours, including 30 hours of science classes)
5000+ hospital lab experience
1000+ shadowing
Missouri resident

Totally my first choice, really hope to get in here!

Great stats! If you nail the interview you should be solid. When were you complete?

Great stats! If you nail the interview you should be solid. When were you complete?

I think...July. I submitted my AMCAS within 2 minutes of the option being available. I need to update my transcript, though, since I took Cell Biology and Genetics last semester. Thanks for the support!

Not too much from what I've heard. There are some programs (Bryant, I think) where they get some financial aid, but aside from that I personally don't know anyone with financial aid (or at least they don't talk about it).

One thing for you to keep in mind that you will only have to pay the OOS rate for the first year. I think if you earn $2000 throughout the course of the year (which is easily doable through summer research opportunities after your M1 year), your status will change over to in-state and you can pay less like the rest of us. :)

I think...July. I submitted my AMCAS within 2 minutes of the option being available. I need to update my transcript, though, since I took Cell Biology and Genetics last semester. Thanks for the support!

Cannot believe I interviewed before you.. You have a stellar app.

Cannot believe I interviewed before you.. You have a stellar app.

Things like this make me think we don't know as much about what admissions people consider as we think we do.

Have an interviewed for Mizzou on the fourth of February!!
Will be looking to see if it's possible to crash a night with a student ambassador. Is anyone on SDN an ambassador by any chance?

I lived in KC and will be driving down there.

Things like this make me think we don't know as much about what admissions people consider as we think we do.

I agree, I was complete in early September with lower stats and hours but interviewed in October. Super confused.

***double post**** sorry.

Last edited:
Have an interviewed for Mizzou on the fourth of February!!
Will be looking to see if it's possible to crash a night with a student ambassador. Is anyone on SDN an ambassador by any chance?

I lived in KC and will be driving down there.

Why not just drive there the same morning? I did from STL and it worked out well :)

Why not just drive there the same morning? I did from STL and it worked out well :)

Figure I get a good night sleep before I go in there for the interview. What time was your interview and how long was the drive?

Figure I get a good night sleep before I go in there for the interview. What time was your interview and how long was the drive?

9am interview and the drive was about 2 hours. Columbia is halfway between KC and STL so I imagine it will be about the same for you.

I did get a good night sleep the night before :) Better than I would've gotten in a stranger's home or hotel!

9am interview and the drive was about 2 hours. Columbia is halfway between KC and STL so I imagine it will be about the same for you.

I did get a good night sleep the night before :) Better than I would've gotten in a stranger's home or hotel!

I think ill do just that. Make sense. Thanks.

I think ill do just that. Make sense. Thanks.

Yeah I have commuted from St. Louis and Kansas City multiple times. If you leave at 6:00am then you would probably get there right at 8:00am (at least this has been my experience). That gives you an hour to compensate for any unexpected traffic, extra time to get your bearings, and not feel rushed.

1/28.

Wow, just realized I haven't been to this thread in a while.

Good luck, I am sure you will do great (they really like reapplicants I have heard). Sounds like the next status update is going to be this Friday (last of the month), although they may change it up a bit since there is almost a whole week left after that. I just wish that those of us who interviewed a long time ago had a better possibility of admission each round, March seems too far away! :(

So...this Friday? Pretty nervous!

Interviewed with Della Rocca and Shenker. I think things went well, particularly when we talked about my MCAT.

Interviewed with Della Rocca and Shenker. I think things went well, particularly when we talked about my MCAT.

Same here. Della Rocca was kind of a hardass (badass too in terms of where he went for med school and orho residency), but Shenker was way cool.

I think so, they usually mention when the next "update" will be at the info session, did you hear anything?

I'm really not holding my breath though. I'm pretty sure I'll be status unchanged until whenever they make the wait list and reject list.

I think that they just said that it would be the last Friday of the month, which would make it this Friday.

I would love to get in now, but I'd be thrilled with a spot on the wait-list. Just hoping to avoid rejection.

Edit: Hit reply instead of quote. I am replying to Dr. Who.

Last edited:
I'm really not holding my breath though. I'm pretty sure I'll be status unchanged until whenever they make the wait list and reject list.

Yeah that seems like the usual process. Although, I just neurotically checked all the older "Mizzou" posts from previous years and there were a couple people that interviewed very early on (October/November) and then got an acceptance in January after a couple rounds of holds. While I know this is far from the norm, it is enough for me to get my hopes up each month only to have them crushed :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.