2012-2013 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

As a Canadian applicant I would like to go to WSU since its literally a 20 min drive from my house (across the border). I can't find any cut-offs for this school. I have a 3.92 sGPA and a 3.9 cGPA with a 28Q MCAT (but a 6 in VR...). The VR is my concern. I am planning on re-writing, but wanted any educated opinions on whether or not I would get screened out right away...I have decent community involvement and clinical experiences and have started research, if that even matters.

how receptive is Wayne state to OOS applications?

Hey guys,

As a Canadian applicant I would like to go to WSU since its literally a 20 min drive from my house (across the border). I can't find any cut-offs for this school. I have a 3.92 sGPA and a 3.9 cGPA with a 28Q MCAT (but a 6 in VR...). The VR is my concern. I am planning on re-writing, but wanted any educated opinions on whether or not I would get screened out right away...I have decent community involvement and clinical experiences and have started research, if that even matters.

I think a 6 gets you screened out at most schools, but this is only from what I heard.

Hey guys,

It is the most important section. Even so, generally you're shooting for a 30 with nothing below an 8. I got in without a 30 but I didn't have anything below an 8.

Do you know where you're deficient?

Just checking in for the season. Good luck to all applicants!

It is the most important section. Even so, generally you're shooting for a 30 with nothing below an 8. I got in without a 30 but I didn't have anything below an 8.

Okay I will just wait it out until September to send my primary (ouch...) assuming I get at least an 8 in VR. This is my problem: I don't understand most passages, and then I get most of the questions wrong. If it is a passage I am interested in, and actually understand (I just did one and got every question right, woohoo!), then I can do fairly well. Sigh... not reading books for pleasure has really kicked me in the ass:idea:

how receptive is Wayne state to OOS applications?
You will generally need above-average stats to have a great shot, and I hear they ask out-of-staters why they want to live in Detroit, so it helps to have some type of ties to the area. Something like 70% of the class is in-state.

Hey guys,

I would say you're not a for sure write-off. It's not true that you need higher than an 8 on verbal to not get pre-screened. I know a few people that have gotten in with a 6 on their verbal, granted they had a 30 or higher overall, but still. I plan on applying here with a 7 :/ but still have over a 30 overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rest easy in knowing that Wayne is one school where applying early doesn't make a big difference from what I can tell. I submitted my secondary in late September and interviewed in November. I would definitely retake the MCAT and just concentrate on verbal from here on out.

Okay I will just wait it out until September to send my primary (ouch...) assuming I get at least an 8 in VR. This is my problem: I don't understand most passages, and then I get most of the questions wrong. If it is a passage I am interested in, and actually understand (I just did one and got every question right, woohoo!), then I can do fairly well. Sigh... not reading books for pleasure has really kicked me in the ass:idea:

I faced similar problems; ended up with double digits in VR. PM me if you want my $.02.

This. I know lots of people who got in with 27s and 28s and 29s (i was one of them), but they pretty much told us at a meeting that they want everything to be at least an 8 for residents, so I imagine it is even tougher for OOS. This isn't to say that there wont be exceptions as others have said they know people but I would retake to be safe. Sounds like your other scores are fine.

You will generally need above-average stats to have a great shot, and I hear they ask out-of-staters why they want to live in Detroit, so it helps to have some type of ties to the area. Something like 70% of the class is in-state.

If I remember correctly they accept a lot of OOS it's just that the majority matriculate some place else.

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask my question...but is a 30P and a 3.65 at University of Michigan Ann Arbor enough to give me a chance at Wayne if my ECs and LORs aren't outstanding? I have ~30 hours of shadowing, 2 years volunteering at hospital and free clinic, 3 years of lab with 1 of these years spent contributing extensively to research project with no pubs, 2 years tutoring groups, and a few random jobs here and there. I'm a Neuroscience Major and Medical Anthro Minor.

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts or advice on this. Thanks a bunch!! :)

From what I hear, Wayne does not place a lot of emphasis on research, but I would say your stats are pretty competitive! Good luck (definitely apply!!). lol

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask my question...but is a 30P and a 3.65 at University of Michigan Ann Arbor enough to give me a chance at Wayne if my ECs and LORs aren't outstanding? I have ~30 hours of shadowing, 2 years volunteering at hospital and free clinic, 3 years of lab with 1 of these years spent contributing extensively to research project with no pubs, 2 years tutoring groups, and a few random jobs here and there. I'm a Neuroscience Major and Medical Anthro Minor.

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts or advice on this. Thanks a bunch!! :)

Pending your 30 has a good spread (no section is below an 8) I think you're looking pretty good.

If I remember correctly they accept a lot of OOS it's just that the majority matriculate some place else.
From their latest data on their web site, they offered admission to 355 in-state applicants and 160 oos. That is 31% of the admission offers to OOS applicants.

There were 1465 in-state applicants and 2670 oos applicants. In-staters had an acceptance rate of 24% while oos had an acceptance rate of 6%.

Second timer here. First time was in 2009 and got rejected after waitlist. Hoping this year is better. But I am officially in this party.

Does anyone know what the typical cutoffs are for receiving a secondary from here? I know only about half of the applicants get one and was just wondering if I had a chance to be in the mix :rolleyes:

Do any of you know if Wayne would hold my app until they receive an updated MCAT score? I took the MCAT once before and didn't do too well. I plan on taking it again in August.

Does anyone have an idea when they start mailing out secondaries?

Just received the following email from WSU:

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine. We have received your verified AMCAS application.

We prescreen applications before determining if we will request Secondary Application materials. We began printing applications today, and the Admissions Committee will begin the review process next week. The earliest we will begin requesting Secondary Application materials will be the week of July 23. However, when we first start processing applications, we have several hundred applications to review and the process can take up to six weeks. We appreciate your patience.

You may submit letters of recommendation through AMCAS at any time.

We will notify applicants from whom we are requesting Secondary Application materials via e-mail.

Just received the following email from WSU:

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine. We have received your verified AMCAS application.

We prescreen applications before determining if we will request Secondary Application materials. We began printing applications today, and the Admissions Committee will begin the review process next week. The earliest we will begin requesting Secondary Application materials will be the week of July 23. However, when we first start processing applications, we have several hundred applications to review and the process can take up to six weeks. We appreciate your patience.

You may submit letters of recommendation through AMCAS at any time.

We will notify applicants from whom we are requesting Secondary Application materials via e-mail.

same here

lilwaynediss300x300.jpg
STATE

How are the classes filled out from Wayne State? I know it has a semester system, but the options at the application allow for "fall" "spring" but not "spring/summer" Wayne State has "fall" "winter" and "spring/summer" semester.

Did anybody from Wayne State just added all the classes for a year under the "FullYear Course - Semester System" category?

please advice.

From what I hear, Wayne does not place a lot of emphasis on research, but I would say your stats are pretty competitive! Good luck (definitely apply!!). lol

really? I've heard that Wayne State loves research.

I can vouch for xroc. WSU may "like" research, but it is not what they are looking for. I got a chance to talk to Dawn, the assistant dean of admissions and she said WSU emphasizes anything that involves clinical experience, albeit it was two years ago. Rumor is they prefer the "hard working student" over the "passing with flying colors" student.

Is this the first year that WSU is allowing the secondaries & photo to be emailed back to them? At the end of the pdf it actually says so (from what I heard, in years past this stuff had to actually get mailed in).

Here's the secondary (all of it), they send it as a pdf file, so here's the text.

After a preliminary review of your application, we are inviting you to submit secondary materials and would like to receive the following items from you within four weeks of the date of this e-mail in order to complete your application. Please be sure to indicate your name and AAMC ID number on all materials.

1. A statement from the Pre-Medical Advisory Committee at your college or university, or, if non-existent, three letters of recommendation with at least two from faculty. One must have been written within the past 12 months. If you are in a post baccalaureate or graduate program, you must submit at least one letter from your post baccalaureate or graduate program. The Committee prefers no more than six letters. All must be submitted through AMCAS.

2. MD/PhD program applicants must submit a letter from a research faculty member who can adequately address your research skills, knowledge and attitudes through AMCAS.

3. A 2” x 2” photograph. (Please do not attach picture to essays.)

4. A non-refundable processing fee of $50.00 U.S. (check or money order) payable to Wayne State University, or the fee waiver e-mail from AMCAS.

5. The Committee would like you to select and respond to three questions (below). Each response should be between 250-500 words (1500 to 3000 characters).

6. If you have applied to Wayne State University School of Medicine in the past, you also must answer the Question IV.

7. If you have had an institutional action in the past, you must also answer Question V.

8. If you have applied to the MD/MPH program, you must answer Question VI.

Question I (You must answer this question)

A. A patient has a serious life threatening condition that can be effectively treated with an expensive prescription medication. The patient has no coverage for prescriptions and requests that you write the prescription in his spouse’s name, because she has full coverage. You want to help the patient, so how do you reply to this request?

Question II (Choose one of the questions to answer)

A. What experiences have you had that made you think that you will enjoy the practice of medicine every day?

B. Describe what you think a typical work day will be for you ten years from now. What types of challenges would you expect to face? What would make you feel good about your work?

C. The expectation for today’s physicians is that they are not only medically competent but also bring to clinical practice a high degree of cultural competence. What is your understanding of the term “cultural competence” and how do you expect to obtain that competence?

Question III -(Choose one of the questions to answer)

A. Describe a situation that either frustrated you or made you angry. How did you handle that situation?

B. As a physician, you are part of a healthcare team. Another member of the team does a poor job explaining the treatment plan to patients. As a consequence, patients are confused and sometimes suffer complications from failure to follow the recommendations. You know you could explain the instructions better to the patient, but you have time constraints. How do you handle this situation?

Question IV - (only reapplicants must answer this question)

What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

Question V - (only applicants with an institutional action must answer this question)

Fully describe the circumstances that resulted in the disciplinary institutional action citation noted on your AMCAS application. What “lasting” lessons have you learned from the experience?

Question VI- (MD/MPH applicants must answer this question)
Please explain your specific interest in Public Health. Include any relevant experiences and/or education.

We will send an email to your preferred AMCAS address once all of the materials have been received in our office. If the secondary application will be delayed for any reason, please contact us and let us know when we can expect to receive the materials.

Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine; we look forward to learning more about you.

Checklist of materials that should be submitted to our office:
Letters of recommendation sent through AMCAS* A 2 x 2 photograph – may be emailed Processing fee or AMCAS fee waiver Question/essay responses – may be emailed Financial Resources Document (for Canadian citizens)- may be emailed
Copy of Permanent Resident Visa (if applicable) - may be emailed

*Please follow the instruction at http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcaslettersfaq.htm to submit your letters through AMCAS. Letters received directly in our office will be returned to the sender.

Mailing address to submit materials other than letters to our office:
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Richard J. Mazurek MD Medical Education Commons, Suite 322
320 E. Canfield
Detroit, MI 48201
Phone: (313) 577-1466 Fax: (313) 577-9420
Email: [email protected]

Wow this is my least favorite secondary by far,

Agreed.

By the way for the first question, what are the official laws that dictate what the doctor should do? What is commonplace in the industry? What are the penalties if the doctor gets caught? This is a one hell of a tricky question!

Agreed.

By the way for the first question, what are the official laws that dictate what the doctor should do? What is commonplace in the industry? What are the penalties if the doctor gets caught? This is a one hell of a tricky question!
I don't think there is any way advocating insurance fraud is what they want to see here. I think something along the lines of pointing the patient to assistance programs, charities, and even trying to help the patient yourself with the cost is what they would want to see. That is how I would answer anyway. (disclaimer, incoming student, certainly not an authority on it.)

Am I the only one that hasn't received any correspondence from Wayne yet? I haven't even gotten an email stating that they received my primary.

Regarding question 3A of the essay questions...I can think of a million things that have made me frustrated/angry during my four years of undergrad. Just nothing appropriate to discuss when applying to medical school.:)

Here's the secondary (all of it), they send it as a pdf file, so here's the text.

After a preliminary review of your application, we are inviting you to submit secondary materials and would like to receive the following items from you within four weeks of the date of this e-mail in order to complete your application. Please be sure to indicate your name and AAMC ID number on all materials.

1. A statement from the Pre-Medical Advisory Committee at your college or university, or, if non-existent, three letters of recommendation with at least two from faculty. One must have been written within the past 12 months. If you are in a post baccalaureate or graduate program, you must submit at least one letter from your post baccalaureate or graduate program. The Committee prefers no more than six letters. All must be submitted through AMCAS.

2. MD/PhD program applicants must submit a letter from a research faculty member who can adequately address your research skills, knowledge and attitudes through AMCAS.

3. A 2” x 2” photograph. (Please do not attach picture to essays.)

4. A non-refundable processing fee of $50.00 U.S. (check or money order) payable to Wayne State University, or the fee waiver e-mail from AMCAS.

5. The Committee would like you to select and respond to three questions (below). Each response should be between 250-500 words (1500 to 3000 characters).

6. If you have applied to Wayne State University School of Medicine in the past, you also must answer the Question IV.

7. If you have had an institutional action in the past, you must also answer Question V.

8. If you have applied to the MD/MPH program, you must answer Question VI.

Question I (You must answer this question)

A. A patient has a serious life threatening condition that can be effectively treated with an expensive prescription medication. The patient has no coverage for prescriptions and requests that you write the prescription in his spouse’s name, because she has full coverage. You want to help the patient, so how do you reply to this request?

Question II (Choose one of the questions to answer)

A. What experiences have you had that made you think that you will enjoy the practice of medicine every day?

B. Describe what you think a typical work day will be for you ten years from now. What types of challenges would you expect to face? What would make you feel good about your work?

C. The expectation for today’s physicians is that they are not only medically competent but also bring to clinical practice a high degree of cultural competence. What is your understanding of the term “cultural competence” and how do you expect to obtain that competence?

Question III -(Choose one of the questions to answer)

A. Describe a situation that either frustrated you or made you angry. How did you handle that situation?

B. As a physician, you are part of a healthcare team. Another member of the team does a poor job explaining the treatment plan to patients. As a consequence, patients are confused and sometimes suffer complications from failure to follow the recommendations. You know you could explain the instructions better to the patient, but you have time constraints. How do you handle this situation?

Question IV - (only reapplicants must answer this question)

What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

Question V - (only applicants with an institutional action must answer this question)

Fully describe the circumstances that resulted in the disciplinary institutional action citation noted on your AMCAS application. What “lasting” lessons have you learned from the experience?

Question VI- (MD/MPH applicants must answer this question)
Please explain your specific interest in Public Health. Include any relevant experiences and/or education.

We will send an email to your preferred AMCAS address once all of the materials have been received in our office. If the secondary application will be delayed for any reason, please contact us and let us know when we can expect to receive the materials.

Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine; we look forward to learning more about you.

Checklist of materials that should be submitted to our office:
Letters of recommendation sent through AMCAS* A 2 x 2 photograph – may be emailed Processing fee or AMCAS fee waiver Question/essay responses – may be emailed Financial Resources Document (for Canadian citizens)- may be emailed
Copy of Permanent Resident Visa (if applicable) - may be emailed

*Please follow the instruction at http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcaslettersfaq.htm to submit your letters through AMCAS. Letters received directly in our office will be returned to the sender.

Mailing address to submit materials other than letters to our office:
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Richard J. Mazurek MD Medical Education Commons, Suite 322
320 E. Canfield
Detroit, MI 48201
Phone: (313) 577-1466 Fax: (313) 577-9420
Email: [email protected]

Thank you

Has any OOS/Canadian students received the secondary?
Guessing they are really screening hard....

I'm OOS, and I haven't gotten anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.