2012-2013 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All responses should be less than 1/2 page single spaced (application is mailed).

1. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of practicing medicine in a rural or underserved area.

2. A friend of yours, who is also applying to medical school this year, has posted a compromising photo of you on Facebook and has tagged you. The Admissions Committee frequently looks at Facebook pages prior to interviews. How would you handle this with your friend ?

3. Tell us of a challenging event or a difficult obstacle in your life and how you overcame it.

4. Medicine is a team sport. Please explain this concept.

5. Share any ties you have to the state of WV.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck everybody applying here! Morgantown is awesome I'm hoping to spend another 4 years there.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's cool! Are you applying for 2013, too?

I am! I am applying to many schools other than WVU, though. I am retaking the MCAT on the 24th because I want to get my 32Q up to at least a 35. I am rather confident I can get into WVU (I've seen people way below the average scores get in due to "in state").

I am! I am applying to many schools other than WVU, though. I am retaking the MCAT on the 24th because I want to get my 32Q up to at least a 35. I am rather confident I can get into WVU (I've seen people way below the average scores get in due to "in state").

A 32 is really good! Are you in state?

is WVU OOS friendly? thanks

I think for a state school they have a good percent of OOS students (I think about 40%), but I believe those with strong ties to West Virginia or those from neighboring states have an advantage. If you have good stats I think it's worth a try! Even without stellar stats, still worth a go, some people in the 2011-2012 thread are getting in off the wait list with low stats from OOS. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got secondary this morning. OOS

Got secondary, NYS. How do we actually submit the essays though?

I think for a state school they have a good percent of OOS students (I think about 40%), but I believe those with strong ties to West Virginia or those from neighboring states have an advantage. If you have good stats I think it's worth a try! Even without stellar stats, still worth a go, some people in the 2011-2012 thread are getting in off the wait list with low stats from OOS. Good luck!

Would a New Jersey Resident with 3.6 GPA and 28 MCAT be wasting AMCAS application money to add WV to the list of schools applying to?

Would a New Jersey Resident with 3.6 GPA and 28 MCAT be wasting AMCAS application money to add WV to the list of schools applying to?

Do you have any ties to WV? I think for OOS your stats may be a little low, but I'm definitely not an expert. I say go for it, WVU is nice in that they only give secondaries to people they're serious about so if there's not much of chance it may not cost much to find out, but it could end up being the place you get in. There are a lot of Jersey undergrads here, I don't know if that helps at all though.

Got this email:

"Your online secondary application information has been received. Once your secondary application materials have been received and reviewed, your confirmation will come in the form of a mailed interview letter."

Does that mean interview invite is coming? They haven't received my essays yet, just submitted the online secondary and I have good stats for their school. I only ask because I heard about the whole secondary=interview invite thing.

Anyone who knows about this?

Got this email:

"Your online secondary application information has been received. Once your secondary application materials have been received and reviewed, your confirmation will come in the form of a mailed interview letter."

Does that mean interview invite is coming? They haven't received my essays yet, just submitted the online secondary and I have good stats for their school. I only ask because I heard about the whole secondary=interview invite thing.

Anyone who knows about this?

i called last week and they told me secondary does indeed mean interview. they snail-mail it after they receive our essays and verify our letters of recommendation.

i called last week and they told me secondary does indeed mean interview. they snail-mail it after they receive our essays and verify our letters of recommendation.

Last edited:
I thought the secondary said LORs were accepted until the day before interviewing.

:confused:

you may be right. she said they make sure one letter covers communication skills, and i just assumed that meant they verify before scheduling the interview.

Just got this email:

Seems surprising to me that they would send this when they haven't seen the secondary essays and stuff yet, but I assume it means interview is coming for sure

For the "passport quality" photo that we're supposed to mail in, are you guys planning to actually get a passport photo taken? I have a photo that I've been using for all of my applications that I just snapped at home. Is this not acceptable for this application? I'm not sure why they would ask us to upload a passport sized photo if they want us to send one in as well..

yeah, I just took one at home against a solid background, cropped to 2x2 dimensions, and printed it out on photo paper

I got a secondary also.

Two questions..

1. does it really mean secondary=interview?

2. communication letter required for sure? i can attest my communication skills by showing that i work at a hospital and have constant pt contact. i wouldve been fired if i was a socially inept person..

Hey guys so I got the secondary invite...

I'm now trying to submit my online secondary form...

I have several questions..

1) Is the "date submitted" referring to my AMCAS submission date or WVU secondary submission date?

2) How fast did you get the online secondary confirmation? I filled out everything include the photo...I pressed the "submit" button and nothing happens...I mean once I press the submit button it just reloads to the same online secondary page....Am I doing something wrong? How long did it take you guys to get the online secondary confirmation???

It says
"A CONFIRMATION OF RECEIPT OF THIS APPLICATION WILL BE SENT TO YOU BY EMAIL."
but I'm not getting any emails from them...

Help?

Hey guys so I got the secondary invite...

I'm now trying to submit my online secondary form...

I have several questions..

1) Is the "date submitted" referring to my AMCAS submission date or WVU secondary submission date?

2) How fast did you get the online secondary confirmation? I filled out everything include the photo...I pressed the "submit" button and nothing happens...I mean once I press the submit button it just reloads to the same online secondary page....Am I doing something wrong? How long did it take you guys to get the online secondary confirmation???

It says
"A CONFIRMATION OF RECEIPT OF THIS APPLICATION WILL BE SENT TO YOU BY EMAIL."
but I'm not getting any emails from them...

Help?

1. I submitted yesterday so I put yesterday's date.
2. I had this problem as well using Internet explorer. I never got the email even though I pressed submit. And it also remained on the same page. I switched to Firefox and it went through perfect. When it goes through, it takes you to a different page so you know it worked.

Don't worry it'll come in an hour or so, and then the second email will come a few days later.

1. I submitted yesterday so I put yesterday's date.
2. I had this problem as well using Internet explorer. I never got the email even though I pressed submit. And it also remained on the same page. I switched to Firefox and it went through perfect. When it goes through, it takes you to a different page so you know it worked.

1)So you put your online secondary submission date, not your AMCAS submission date?
The former kind of sounds redundant..?:confused:

2)I'm on OSX...maybe that's why...I tried Firefox on OSX platform and it didn't work...so I guess if it works correctly, it's supposed to take you to a different page? I'll try it on Windows once I get back home..

Thanks!

Don't worry it'll come in an hour or so, and then the second email will come a few days later.

I mean I actually submitted it yesterday...that's why I started to suspect something did go right since nothing happens after pressing the submit button and plus I didn't get any confirmation email even today...

I'll try it on Windows Firefox platform...let's hope for the best..

I DONT GET THIS MADNESS...

I tried Windows IE, FF, CHROME.

OSX Safari, FF, Chrome..

None of them are working.. :(

To people who were able to successfully submit...
What was your secret? Is my photo causing the error? What is going on here..?:confused::confused::confused:

I used Safari and it worked fine. I would call the admissions office tomorrow and explain your problem. Are you uploading a JPEG? How big is the file?

I DONT GET THIS MADNESS...

I tried Windows IE, FF, CHROME.

OSX Safari, FF, Chrome..

None of them are working.. :(

To people who were able to successfully submit...
What was your secret? Is my photo causing the error? What is going on here..?:confused::confused::confused:

I put the date that I was submitting the electronic secondary form.

If it goes through, it wont remain on the same page. At first I tried fifty times on my dads laptop and it wouldn't work no matter what size the photo was. I then tried on my laptop a half hour later and it went through the first time withou an issue.

I would definitely call them tomorrow about it because of that deadline they set for you to complete it.

The application fee check that I mailed to them last Monday has been deposited, so I guess they received all of my materials and I'm hoping to get the interview invite in the mail soon!

I got a secondary also.

Two questions..

1. does it really mean secondary=interview?

2. communication letter required for sure? i can attest my communication skills by showing that i work at a hospital and have constant pt contact. i wouldve been fired if i was a socially inept person..

1. For WVU you can pretty much say that: secondary = interview = wait list =:confused:= acceptance

2. I don't think that ADCOMs would like to assume anything. If they require something, they expect to receive it from an applicant. >95% of applicants have worked/volunteered in a hospital, clinic, nursing home, etc. But working in a hospital does not =/= great communication skills; from time to time I feel like a live proof of this :oops:

Do you have any ties to WV? I think for OOS your stats may be a little low, but I'm definitely not an expert. I say go for it, WVU is nice in that they only give secondaries to people they're serious about so if there's not much of chance it may not cost much to find out, but it could end up being the place you get in. There are a lot of Jersey undergrads here, I don't know if that helps at all though.

Got pre secondary reject because of not strong ties to WV. GPA 3.91; MCAT 31Q from neighboring state KY. I wrote about parent working full time in WV and pay all taxes in WV.. They accepted strong ties.. I took my junior and senior year classes at a university and got both high school and University credits - so I'll be graduating spending two extra years in University . Now, they're saying that since since I just spent one year in University and apply next year.. i.e. I'll have a gap year... drives me crazy. I don't know what there thinking is...

Last edited:
I think you can protest if you have strong state ties. At least I hope you can

How do you protest? I'm on the border of WV/KY. My mom works in WV.

I have to give them credit if they're sending secondaries who they'll interview... they're not sending thousands of secondaries to collect fees.

Last edited:
Congrats... mind sharing your stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.