2012-2013 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewing 10/29 woo

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats medmedman! I am also OOS. Do you remenber when you mailed in the secondary? I mailed mine early aug and havent heard back!

congrats medmedman! I'm aslo interviewing October 12 and I'm an OOS

So quick question for all of you OOSers, how do y'all plan on going about the whole transportation thing?

congrats medmedman! I'm aslo interviewing October 12 and I'm an OOS

Excellent Jay! I hope to see you there!

Congrats medmedman! I am also OOS. Do you remenber when you mailed in the secondary? I mailed mine early aug and havent heard back!

I received the secondary July 5th, sent it out the 10th and I think they received my files on the 13th. Hope that helps!

So quick question for all of you OOSers, how do y'all plan on going about the whole transportation thing?

I live in Morgantown so I don't have to travel, but flying into Pittsburgh is probably your best bet. There's two buses that go to and from Pittsburgh to Morgantown twice a day: Megabus and the Mountainline bus. I believe the latter goes to airport, but I know Megabus does not. I don't think a cab from where Megabus drops off and the airport would a lot though. In Morgantown, Megabus drops you off right at the health science center by lots of hotels and the other one is bit farther away. You could probably just catch a bus or the prt to the health science campus though.

I'm OOS, but my parents live in Pittsburgh which is a short drive away. I'll probably just drive from there and use this as an excuse to go home for a bit

You can fly to Pittsburgh or Morgantown. Medical school is just 10 min away from the Morgantown airport and some hotels (ex: Eurosuites) can pick you up the at the airport, drive you to the school on your interview day, and take you back to the airport for no extra charge. I liked it, but many people who interview here for some reason still prefer to fly to Pittsburgh.

You can fly to Pittsburgh or Morgantown. Medical school is just 10 min away from the Morgantown airport and some hotels (ex: Eurosuites) can pick you up the at the airport, drive you to the school on your interview day, and take you back to the airport for no extra charge. I liked it, but many people who interview here for some reason still prefer to fly to Pittsburgh.

the only airline that services morgantown is united, so depending on where youre coming from it could be cost prohibitive. looked at flying either morgantown to chicago or pitt to chicago, the pitt flight was over $200 less.

That is true. Most of the time during the year (but not always) flying to Pitt is cheaper. However, I also consider taxi and bus fares in addition to extra inconvenience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone that receives this:

"Your online secondary application information has been received. Once your secondary application materials have been received and reviewed, your only confirmation will come in the form of a mailed interview letter. "

Get an II?

Does anybody have data on the interview vs acceptance rateat WVU? I could not find the US News report without buying a subscription.

Does anybody have data on the interview vs acceptance rateat WVU? I could not find the US News report without buying a subscription.
Look at the last year thread for more accurate information, this subject was discussed pretty extensively at some point. But from the top of my head: IS rate is pretty high (>50%), for OOS it is somewhere around 20%.

I sent my secondary on 8/9 and received that email soon after. I have not yet received an II. I am out of state though, might be different for me!

Does everyone that receives this:

"Your online secondary application information has been received. Once your secondary application materials have been received and reviewed, your only confirmation will come in the form of a mailed interview letter. "

Get an II?

I sent my secondary on 8/9 and received that email soon after. I have not yet received an II. I am out of state though, might be different for me!

i recently met with someone in the dept of medical education who quoted me these stats:

3000 applicants for 110 spots.
200 in state apps for 80 spots
2800 oos apps for 30 spots

fwiw

WVU doesn't accept secondary fee waivers?

I know that you don't need this information any longer, but in case other applicants do in the future I thought I'd reply here. The WVU site says the following:

"Does the WVU School of Medicine accept the AAMC Fee Waiver?

Yes, we do accept the fee waiver for the secondary application only. A copy of the original email received from the AAMC giving an applicant fee waiver status should be sent along with any secondary application materials." Link WVU HSC

II

Complete ~8-27-2012
OOS
32O

When was your check for $100 cashed?

No clue; I'd have to check my bank statement. There was no notification that my secondary was processed or anything until I got the invite in the mail today

To anyone who has interviewed already:

What were your impressions about the school, interview, etc.?

To anyone who has interviewed already:

What were your impressions about the school, interview, etc.?

I interviewed on 9/5. I already new a lot about the school because I went here for undergrad and work about 100 feet away from the SOM office, but I still learned a lot of cool new things and got to see some new places.

The interview was at the end of the day. From around 10-11:30 you watch some videos and talk with Cheryl, one of the admissions coordinators. She's so funny and really helps create a relaxed atmosphere.

You then go on a tour and eat lunch with two third year students from 11:30-1. This was a nice way to get some positive and negative information about the school and medicine in general.

Then you start getting called for interviews. I was first so I was done around 1:30, but I imagine the fifth person called in our group of 5 was probably there until 3:30 or 4. The interview lasted about 25 minutes. It was pretty relaxed and mostly focused on stuff that was relevant to my application only. Not a lot of generic questions like why medicine or why WVU, at least not for me. No healthcare reform or ethics questions either.

I would say to prepare make sure you're ready to answer questions about unique things in your application. They mostly focused on my minor, my tutoring experiences, and my job as a writer for the paper. Overall it was a great day. Good luck guys!!

I interviewed on 9/5. I already new a lot about the school because I went here for undergrad and work about 100 feet away from the SOM office, but I still learned a lot of cool new things and got to see some new places.

The interview was at the end of the day. From around 10-11:30 you watch some videos and talk with Cheryl, one of the admissions coordinators. She's so funny and really helps create a relaxed atmosphere.

You then go on a tour and eat lunch with two third year students from 11:30-1. This was a nice way to get some positive and negative information about the school and medicine in general.

Then you start getting called for interviews. I was first so I was done around 1:30, but I imagine the fifth person called in our group of 5 was probably there until 3:30 or 4. The interview lasted about 25 minutes. It was pretty relaxed and mostly focused on stuff that was relevant to my application only. Not a lot of generic questions like why medicine or why WVU, at least not for me. No healthcare reform or ethics questions either.

I would say to prepare make sure you're ready to answer questions about unique things in your application. They mostly focused on my minor, my tutoring experiences, and my job as a writer for the paper. Overall it was a great day. Good luck guys!!

Thanks!

Also did you participate in the Medstay program?

No, I live about 10 minutes (walking) from the health science center, but one girl on my group did and seemed to really enjoy it. She talked about how nice her host was and how she gave her good advice.

interviewing for the MD/PhD program in December! SO excited!!!

I just got my interview invite for Dec 6th. Anyone interviewing that day? I just read last years thread and I have great news for the many people on here that have struggled with verbal reasoning on the MCAT. According to last years thread, an admissions person says the most important score is the biological sciences and the least important score is verbal reasoning :). Also, everyone that is out of state that interviews will either be rejected or placed on the waitlist. Being rejected is very rare and most applicants are waitlisted. Depending on the score one earns (admissions score stuff: gpa, mcat, interview, primary, secondary, ect...) will determine when they are accepted. For example, if its February and an person who interviewed on February has a higher score than one who interviewed in August, the person who interviewed in February will get in before the person in August. It is required by law in WV that out of state students are waitlisted so they can see instate people first (?). Good luck to everyone. This is a great school!

. It is required by law in WV that out of state students are waitlisted so they can see instate people first (?). Good luck to everyone. This is a great school!

I don't think that's right. It's definitely not a law in WV as I'm out of state and I already got accepted to WVSOM. Also, I know of multiple people from out of state that got in from early decision. Many OOS may be put on the wait list but certainly not all.

Congratulations on your acceptance already. According to last years thread it is some kind of law. I dont know how EDP works but I doubt they are put on the waitlist then accepted. You might have been on the waitlist for less than a week. It just depends on how good of an applicant you were. Im basing this information from last year. You dont need to read that since you have been accepted but other people who have not been accepted would benefit from reading that.

Congratulations on your acceptance already. According to last years thread it is some kind of law. I dont know how EDP works but I doubt they are put on the waitlist then accepted. You might have been on the waitlist for less than a week. It just depends on how good of an applicant you were. Im basing this information from last year. You dont need to read that since you have been accepted but other people who have not been accepted would benefit from reading that.

I was accepted to the DO school in WV (WVSOM), not WVU (WVUSOM) :p I looked at last year's thread and there were a few OOS students who were accepted right away in October, not very many, but some. A lot were put on the wait list for different amounts of time though.

Accepted via EDP. OOS (PA, but went to WVU for undergrad and am living here for my gap year), 4.0 GPA, 28 MCAT (9, 9, 10).

Good luck to everyone else! I'll see you guys in August! :)

dr. hazard (assistant dean of admissions) told me that 28 people applied early decision this year. last year, 17 applied ED and all 17 got in

just got my EDP acceptance today. 3.65 GPA, 28 MCAT (9ps-8vr-11bs)

good luck everyone!

dr. hazard (assistant dean of admissions) told me that 28 people applied early decision this year. last year, 17 applied ED and all 17 got in

just got my EDP acceptance today. 3.65 GPA, 28 MCAT (9ps-8vr-11bs)

good luck everyone!

Congrats! Are you IS or OOS? Can't wait to start in August!

If they let all 28 in that's almost a third of the class. I've also heard the 17 out of 17 stat from last year so I wonder if this year had 100% acceptance rate, as well. I know c/o 2014 and 2015 had 100% EDP acceptances too,

Congrats on the EDP acceptances! I interviewed here last month so I'm hoping for some good news in a couple of weeks :xf:

WVU is sitting on my app waiting for my mcat score to come in on oct 9, def hoping for an interview. i have an interview already set at marshall next month as well, only applying to those 2 schools...

I just noticed today that the secondary email says the secondary materials need to postmarked 2 weeks after the secondary email was sent at the latest. I'm going to be a few days late getting it in..

Anyone have any experience with this? I assume it isn't a huge deal since the secondary means an interview and mail slows everything down anyway.. right?

I just noticed today that the secondary email says the secondary materials need to postmarked 2 weeks after the secondary email was sent at the latest. I'm going to be a few days late getting it in..

Anyone have any experience with this? I assume it isn't a huge deal since the secondary means an interview and mail slows everything down anyway.. right?

I haven't experienced this, but I don't think calling them to give them a heads up would be a bad idea. Just say you're still really interested you just didn't see the time constraint and would they be able to extend your deadline by a few days. They're super nice in the admissions office so they should be able to help you.

Ok, so I received an invitation for the secondary on Tuesday. Do you still think it likely means I will get an interview? I got a late start to the cycle waiting for my MCAT. OOS (VA) 31Q. sGPA/cGPA 3.9

what do you think the chances with low-MCAT score and and average GPA( above 3), but great medical work experience, and from the south part of WV and great ties to WV to get in SOM WV?

Last edited:
what do you think the chances with low-MCAT score and and average GPA( above 3), but great medical work experience, and from the south part of WV and great ties to WV to get in SOM WV?

This late in the season it might be tough, but definitely still possible since you're in state. WVU seems to value a lot of things outside of stats so you might have a chance. Good luck!

You might as well go for it! You just never know. I just got the "your only confirmation will come in the form of a mailed interview letter" now, even though I am OOS and really late in the cycle. Does it seem to be pretty standard that all that got this email get interviews?

What do you think the chances are
with low-MCAT score and
average GPA( above 3),
great medical and research work experience, and
great tie to WV
to be accepted in WV SOM ?

I'm withdrawing from my 10/18 interview date if anyone would like to try to pick it up.

mcat score received yesterday, secondary received today...

Status
Not open for further replies.