2013-2014 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted today as of 11:05 AM! An email with 3 attachments that was apparently also mailed today.

ETA: Interviewed in late November, for anyone that's curious.
Nice! First acceptance in a while on this thread! Can't say I'm not jealous... Fingers crossed for good news for all of us still waiting!
 
31,000 in annual base school loans. Then they determine your family's ability to pay. Then the rest is scholarships or grants.

I think I got that right. That's what I remember from the interview day, anyways.

I think that's right, too. I think they outright said they don't offer merit-based aid because they have such wonderful applicants to choose from. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though - I could be conflating schools.
 
Ok., thank you very much. I guess I was assuming Dartmouth would have cash to spare. Good luck to everyone!

During the financial aid presentation, Dino told us that our GPA, MCAT, ECs don't matter; that is, I doubt there is merit-based aid. Good fortune everyone.
 
Last edited:
Do you guys know if they prefer update letters/letter of interest through snail mail or e-mail? I'm also on the silence boat since my interview from October. Sorry if this has already been discussed!
 
Thanks Ahstern, I really hope so.... I guess you are also in this waiting boat....?

Haha--yup!
I figure the only places I can be on the applicant spectrum is on the border between accept/WL or between WL/reject, or else I would have gotten the news already. I'm going to choose to believe I'm on the acceptance border rather than the rejection one because I consider my app to be pretty strong, I had a good interview, and I have good stats (and to believe the alternative would be awfully defeatist!). So, knowing that they are conservative in sending acceptances before May, I consider every day I'm not wait listed or rejected as a sign that they're getting closer to my name on the list.
 
Haha--yup!
I figure the only places I can be on the applicant spectrum is on the border between accept/WL or between WL/reject, or else I would have gotten the news already. I'm going to choose to believe I'm on the acceptance border rather than the rejection one because I consider my app to be pretty strong, I had a good interview, and I have good stats (and to believe the alternative would be awfully defeatist!). So, knowing that they are conservative in sending acceptances before May, I consider every day I'm not wait listed or rejected as a sign that they're getting closer to my name on the list.
Same! 🙂 Besides, they save the best for last right? 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same! 🙂 Besides, they save the best for last right? 😉

You know, The further we have gone, the more I've respected admissions committees. It's a fairly thankless role that tasks members with choosing 100 members out of 500ish equally qualified applicants (once interviews are done). They have to somehow equalize disparate and unique experiences and put them on the same scale.

In summation, I don't need to be the best--just one of the best 😉
 
Accepted today as of 11:05 AM! An email with 3 attachments that was apparently also mailed today.

ETA: Interviewed in late November, for anyone that's curious.
What were your stats if you don't mind sharing.... and did you write any letter (s) of intent after your interview? any advice for some of us who are still waiting to hear anything.... thannks
 
What were your stats if you don't mind sharing.... and did you write any letter (s) of intent after your interview? any advice for some of us who are still waiting to hear anything.... thannks

~3.9 GPA, 39 MCAT. Didn't have any communication with the admissions office besides sending my interviewers thank you notes after my interview day. No advice besides patience, as frustrating as that is. I'll defer to people more qualified than me to address any questions about letters of interest/intent.
 
~3.9 GPA, 39 MCAT. Didn't have any communication with the admissions office besides sending my interviewers thank you notes after my interview day. No advice besides patience, as frustrating as that is. I'll defer to people more qualified than me to address any questions about letters of interest/intent.
Congrats on your acceptance! I'm shocked you heard back so late - I'd have thunk with your scores, you would've heard back with the first batch of acceptances.

That worries me about my low MCAT/GPA... and whether I'm in the bad limbo...and resigns me to the fact I wont hear back from my early Jan interview until late April.

Sigh. I've decided I'm going to work out everyday to take my mind off this. Come on Dartmouth - send me some goooood news!
 
Congrats on your acceptance! I'm shocked you heard back so late - I'd have thunk with your scores, you would've heard back with the first batch of acceptances.

That worries me about my low MCAT/GPA... and whether I'm in the bad limbo...and resigns me to the fact I wont hear back from my early Jan interview until late April.

Sigh. I've decided I'm going to work out everyday to take my mind off this. Come on Dartmouth - send me some goooood news!
You aren't a lone dear... same here...
 
~3.9 GPA, 39 MCAT. Didn't have any communication with the admissions office besides sending my interviewers thank you notes after my interview day. No advice besides patience, as frustrating as that is. I'll defer to people more qualified than me to address any questions about letters of interest/intent.
Thanks for Sharing, congrats once again....
 
Congrats on your acceptance! I'm shocked you heard back so late - I'd have thunk with your scores, you would've heard back with the first batch of acceptances.

That worries me about my low MCAT/GPA... and whether I'm in the bad limbo...and resigns me to the fact I wont hear back from my early Jan interview until late April.

Sigh. I've decided I'm going to work out everyday to take my mind off this. Come on Dartmouth - send me some goooood news!

I just don't think there's much of a rhyme or reason to this process that any of us on this side can see. Just because you're still waiting doesn't say much, if anything, about anyone's suitability as a candidate. Keep your chin up! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on their first interview day... haven't heard a thing! I think my app's been lost too...
Nothing for me neither...:-/ (knock on wood)

I was hoping for SOMETHING in my inbox when I saw all these posts..

I wonder if today's the "waitlist inform date," in which case, I hope they're done sending them out for the day...
 
Hi, I've just been accepted by email earlier today! 🙂
I'm a Canadian applicant interviewed on 1/30, sent in a letter of interest two weeks ago (I'm convinced it helped!)
Very excited since Geisel was my top choice. Hope to meet some of you guys soon in August! Good luck to everyone!
 
Anyone have a Dartmouth match list I can see? I should have taken pictures during interview day but did not. Can't find it anywhere online.
 
Yeah I saw this too. It is really unclear though....I want to see, year-by-year, what specialties each and every student goes into. 4 total derms and 3 plastic surg for the past 5 years? O rly?
It does say the places where they most commonly match and it only lists about 300 of the 450ish students from those years... but I agree that a year to year list would be better.
 
While they do create year-by-year match lists, those lists are protected by an extra level of authentication (a Dartmouth-specific ID and password). One option would be to contact admissions and ask if they will share de-identified versions of the year-by-year lists.
 
Wait-listed earlier this week but withdrew. Interviewed mid-February. 37/3.85

Good luck to those still waiting and congrats to everyone accepted!
 
Just to spark some activity, does anyone know how much WL movement there was last year? I know in the letter to WLers, they said that in heavy years, it was almost two dozen, but I don't want to get my hopes up too far!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SOOOO, I just got an II!?!? I thought for SURE I was silently rejected at this point. So psyched! Does anyone know if I would be interviewing for a spot, or are these interviews for the waitlist? I'll still come, because Geisel seems great; I'm just curious.


They've said they don't interview for the waitlist. Congrats on the II!