You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sorry to hear that! I think silence is either somewhat good, or somewhat bad. Either we are rated above the waitlist but below the acceptance threshold, or below the wait list and above the rejection threshold ... who knows!
yeah this whole 2D limbo scenario is a bit nerve racking. But I guess well just have to stick with the no news is good news mantra. Interviewed before 1/30(which seams to be the latest reported post interview decision) so im guessing right now i could either be sitting in the "good limbo" or "bad limbo"?
pre-decision i dont think there's anything you could do to help your case out either be it interest/intent letter?
anyone hear of post interview rejections yet either?
yeah this whole 2D limbo scenario is a bit nerve racking. But I guess well just have to stick with the no news is good news mantra. Interviewed before 1/30(which seams to be the latest reported post interview decision) so im guessing right now i could either be sitting in the "good limbo" or "bad limbo"?
pre-decision i dont think there's anything you could do to help your case out either be it interest/intent letter?
anyone hear of post interview rejections yet either?
I have yet to hear of any post-interview rejections on any of the sdn threads I'm following...Maybe schools never blatantly reject post-interview. Maybe they always waitlist first.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone hear of post interview rejections yet either?
My friend and I interviewed on 1/7 if I recall correctly; heard back by email today, 3/7. He was rejected, I was wait listed. His email came a bit before mine.
Sorry to hear 🙁 ...But appreciate you clearing some of the fog about post-interview rejections.My friend and I interviewed on 1/7 if I recall correctly; heard back by email today, 3/7. He was rejected, I was wait listed. His email came a bit before mine.
anyone know when its the best time to send a letter of intent? (waitlisted) should I wait until May when the waitlist starts moving? Thanks
Anyone know how to answer this question on Geisel's financial aid form?
"a. Please use this space (and additional pages if needed) to describe any special circumstances
which should be considered in evaluating your request for financial aid."
"a. Please use this space (and additional pages if needed) to describe any special circumstances
which should be considered in evaluating your request for financial aid."
Anyone know how to answer this question on Geisel's financial aid form?
"a. Please use this space (and additional pages if needed) to describe any special circumstances
which should be considered in evaluating your request for financial aid."
Are you in the process of executing someone's will, and expected to inherit a bunch of money or land? Note it there. Are your parents retiring in six months? Note it there. Did someone in your family just get diagnosed with a severe and costly illness? Note it there.
If everything about your financial picture is ordinary and you have no special circumstances, you can leave it blank. Does that help?
ugh wait lists are like pretending to hand an ice cream cone to a kid, but instead throwing it on the ground
Id say its a bit more like someone handing out ice cream cone to kids, and some of those kids get 2 or 3 cones to hang on to. But their parents said they could only pick one cone or else it would spoil their dinner. So they sit there. Starring at the different cones contemplating which one they wouldn't look back and regret eating 4 years from now. They sit there and stare at that ball of ice cream as it starts melting onto the cones and on their hands. Just as that melted ice cream starts to overflow their hand and begins dripping onto the floor they slowly let go of the cones allowing the balls of ice cream to rolls off of the cones. That ball of ice cream now breaks over the edge of the cone and in what seams like slow motion, begins to speed its way towards concrete. Some poor kid standing just a few feet away now reaches out his hand and lunges towards that ice cream ball. That poor kid who hopes that his hand will get to the ice cream before it hits the floor or before he gets shoved by the bully a grade above him also trying to go for the ice cream, that kid is the waitlist.ugh wait lists are like pretending to hand an ice cream cone to a kid, but instead throwing it on the ground
ugh wait lists are like pretending to hand an ice cream cone to a kid, but instead throwing it on the ground
I really like this analogy. Can I use it?
No, wait lists are like the birthday cake scene in Office Space, and we're all Milton.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still haven't heard anything from this school since I was complete, which is weird bc they have been rejecting pre-interview throughout the cycle. Should I give them a call tomorrow? Has anyone else tried calling pre-interview? I just want some closure at this point hah.
I just withdrew from here so hopefully that'll help the waitlist/late interviewees. Good luck!
I still haven't heard anything from this school since I was complete, which is weird bc they have been rejecting pre-interview throughout the cycle. Should I give them a call tomorrow? Has anyone else tried calling pre-interview? I just want some closure at this point hah.
Me too. Like they can't possibly still be giving interviews out haha.. just break it to me!
interviewerd on 12/5.... still waiting to hear anything....
No news=good news.
Anyone know how to answer this question on Geisel's financial aid form?
"a. Please use this space (and additional pages if needed) to describe any special circumstances
which should be considered in evaluating your request for financial aid."
did I miss something? when did they send out a financial aid form?
I am not sure if I should still have any drop of hope right now for this school. I also have not heard anything since completion in mid augustI still haven't heard anything from this school since I was complete, which is weird bc they have been rejecting pre-interview throughout the cycle. Should I give them a call tomorrow? Has anyone else tried calling pre-interview? I just want some closure at this point hah.
Anyone from 12/17 interview hear back yet?
No news=good news.
I really hope that's the case for me... interviewed in September and still no word
sameI really hope that's the case for me... interviewed in September and still no word
I really hope that's the case for me... interviewed in September and still no word
Ditto
Was anyone else slightly disappointed by their interview day? The facilities were not as nice as I expected from Dartmouth and my interview group's tour guides kept focusing on all the negative aspects of the school. It was a huge turn off, tour guides should be excited about their school not constantly putting it down... I was really put off by the day seeing as I was so excited for Dartmouth!
Really? I had the opposite experience. I felt like they sold the school really well - some of the other places I interviewed could take a few marketing tips from them! I'd be interested to know what criticisms your tour guides had as mine were very enthusiastic about the school...Was anyone else slightly disappointed by their interview day? The facilities were not as nice as I expected from Dartmouth and my interview group's tour guides kept focusing on all the negative aspects of the school. It was a huge turn off, tour guides should be excited about their school not constantly putting it down... I was really put off by the day seeing as I was so excited for Dartmouth!
Was anyone else slightly disappointed by their interview day? The facilities were not as nice as I expected from Dartmouth and my interview group's tour guides kept focusing on all the negative aspects of the school. It was a huge turn off, tour guides should be excited about their school not constantly putting it down... I was really put off by the day seeing as I was so excited for Dartmouth!
I had a very similar experience actually. Dartmouth is obviously a wonderful school, but my tour guide didn't sell the school well at all. The student tour guide at the hospital was a 3rd year, and the whole experience was just bizarre. I asked how the students felt about doing their clerkships scattered all over New England and the country, since I was worried about it being disruptive. The response was something like, "Oh no, by 3rd year everyone can't wait to get out of here." Definitely not something that made me really want to attend. But of course, n=1, and I don't want to judge the school too too much on the basis of one person.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really? I had the opposite experience. I felt like they sold the school really well - some of the other places I interviewed could take a few marketing tips from them! I'd be interested to know what criticisms your tour guides had as mine were very enthusiastic about the school...
If I get accepted I will definitely have to re-visit and talk with more current students. My 4th year tour guides were very negative about the location, the need for a car, the current first and second year curriculum ( they literally said it was a waste) and stated that the small class made it gossipy. One even said he would have not gone here but they gave him good financial aid. My first year student who gave us the tour of the Hanover campus was much better so maybe it was just those two four years who ruined my overall impression. However, I was certainly sad to hear that their new integrated curriculum will not start until after our class.
I had a very similar experience actually. Dartmouth is obviously a wonderful school, but my tour guide didn't sell the school well at all. The student tour guide at the hospital was a 3rd year, and the whole experience was just bizarre. I asked how the students felt about doing their clerkships scattered all over New England and the country, since I was worried about it being disruptive. The response was something like, "Oh no, by 3rd year everyone can't wait to get out of here." Definitely not something that made me really want to attend. But of course, n=1, and I don't want to judge the school too too much on the basis of one person.
If I get accepted I will definitely have to re-visit and talk with more current students. My 4th year tour guides were very negative about the location, the need for a car, the current first and second year curriculum ( they literally said it was a waste) and stated that the small class made it gossipy. One even said he would have not gone here but they gave him good financial aid. My first year student who gave us the tour of the Hanover campus was much better so maybe it was just those two four years who ruined my overall impression. However, I was certainly sad to hear that their new integrated curriculum will not start until after our class.
As someone hopelessly clinging on to the possibility of coming off of the waitlist come May....
.
Last edited:
(GPA*10)+MCAT = LizzyM ScoreHi, I'm probably being ignorant but how did you calculate those numbers?
Interviewed on 2/13. Waitlisted. Any idea how many applicants are waitlisted in a given year?
And I thought the not hearing back sucked...
And I thought the not hearing back sucked...
Joining the party on the waitlist. Interviewed early February. At least we won't have to start wondering/hoping again until May?
Also I'm a Dartmouth alum and happy to answer any questions about Hanover, etc. I promise I won't lie just to make you withdraw your app!
Also I'm a Dartmouth alum and happy to answer any questions about Hanover, etc. I promise I won't lie just to make you withdraw your app!
Hmmm... haven't heard anything yet and I interviewed 2/18.
I'm going to assume it's a rejection.
I'm going to assume it's a rejection.
Rejected this afternoon... bummer. Interviewed 10/24 I believe.
Any insight on how essential is a car for the first year or at least first semester? And are there any links/group for accepted students? Feel a little out of the loop and would appreciate anyone's help!
Thanks
According to the student host I stayed with having a car is pretty essential unless you completely want to rely on your classmates. There are a few students who I met who were living in the graduate housing which is on campus and minimized the need for a vehicle. However as I understand it you are assigned an "On Doctoring" mentor which can be any one of a number of physician based anywhere from on campus to up to and hour and a half drive away. I believe my host said that you usually only have to meet with them every 6 weeks or so. This is all from my extremely anxious and stress ridden memory though so take it as you will. General consensus though was that having a car is a plus.
In other news...anybody from 1/27 interview hear back yet?
I got an II a little over a week ago for March 20, so they are at least interviewing for another few days but I don't know about after that.Does anyone know when the last interviews will be held?
So...I know first years are on spring break this week, but interviews are still happening on the 20th.
Is the admissions office still open this week? I just want to know if I should be furiously checking my phone or not for any news...(a part of me wants them to be closed so I don't compulsively live by my phone)
Is the admissions office still open this week? I just want to know if I should be furiously checking my phone or not for any news...(a part of me wants them to be closed so I don't compulsively live by my phone)
Got an interview an hour ago. They interview into April, apparently.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one waiting on an interview decision!
(secondary submitted 08/04; file 'complete' 10/17)
(secondary submitted 08/04; file 'complete' 10/17)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know how many dates were available? I'm still hoping for an interview here. Also did you send any letters/updates?Got an interview an hour ago. They interview into April, apparently.
Do you know how many dates were available? I'm still hoping for an interview here. Also did you send any letters/updates?
3. I sent updated grades over six months ago.
4
494110
Same here. I thought I was crazy (probably still am).Glad to hear I'm not the only one waiting on an interview decision!
(secondary submitted 08/04; file 'complete' 10/17)
Accepted today as of 11:05 AM! An email with 3 attachments that was apparently also mailed today.
ETA: Interviewed in late November, for anyone that's curious.
ETA: Interviewed in late November, for anyone that's curious.
Last edited:
Interview 3/27! For those of you that already interviewed, any hints or advice?!