-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What did they say about letters of intent?Is hopkins receptive to letters of interest post-interview? Their fb seems to suggest they don't welcome letters of intent, but are letters of interest taken the same way?
From 1/9/2013 on fbWhat did they say about letters of intent?
Hello All,
We sometimes receive letters from applicants expressing their intention of matriculating at Hopkins should they be accepted. Some medical schools may encourage this type of letter, but they really mean very little to our Admissions Committee. The reason is that we assume that anyone who applies may initially intend to enroll, otherwise why apply? A letter that we welcome is the one sent along with an acceptance offer. Some schools call these letters of intent, statement if intent and I have also seen them referred to as a declaration of intent. These must be returned to the medical school within a given period of time (it may vary, depending on the institution). It obligates the medical school to hold the admitted student's place in the class. The applicant, who may receive and accept multiple offers, is not obligated to any one school until May 15th, when he or she must withdraw all offers, save one. You may learn more about this on the AMCAS website.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed 12/13. Definitely my #1 or #2 school. The wait is killer!
II just now, complete in late October. I'm unbelievably excited!
EDIT: Also, I was in Texas presenting at a conference with my PI when I got the email, and she insisted on celebrating by taking tequila shots with me. Best day ever.
EDIT: Also, I was in Texas presenting at a conference with my PI when I got the email, and she insisted on celebrating by taking tequila shots with me. Best day ever.
Last edited:
wow I just got an interview here, I can't believe it. Complete late sept/early oct... interviewing feb 7th.
Given the setup in your particular case, i think it would be hard to come across as "social" - can you think of other candidates that day who seemed to come off as social but without dominating the group discussion? My case was really different because there were so many4th years it alsmost felt like a social event, but i do not think they would be able to assess in the same way with the scenario you described. Don't worry yourself about it!If you guys interviewed here, how did you feel about the group interview? For us, there weren't that many 4th years and we kind of just sat around and asked them questions. I'm kind of concerned I didn't come off as social enough....
Does anyone know if the next round of decisions is Jan 31st? Is it just or accepted candidates, and does JHU email/call? This wait is long...
We were told at our interview day that it would be "by the end of the month". On last year's thread, they began calls on the 29th and continued into February, and sent out emails on the January 31st (which was before they were finished making calls). The admissions director said that they would only be sending emails this year, since making calls takes so long.
Just got rejected via email telling me to check my status on their website. I was complete back on 9/20. GPA>3.6, MCAT>39. It doesn't feel great to get rejected but I still have a lot to be grateful for so I'm not complaining. Good luck to everyone else!!
Rejected pre-interview. Definitely bummed but I've been blessed with an amazing cycle so far so I'll just stay positive!
Complete mid-Nov.
Complete mid-Nov.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected today as well... I'm fortunate enough to have an acceptance elsewhere, but have definitely been disappointed with this app cycle.
3.9/40/OOS
3.9/40/OOS
How behind are they, do we know? I Interviewed late November and can't remember when they said we should hear.
I interviewed in mid-December and they told us we would know by the end of January. I bet you will hear on or before the 31st, too.How behind are they, do we know? I Interviewed late November and can't remember when they said we should hear.
Complete in July with no II, but I've apparently survived two rounds of mass rejections. Anyone else in the same boat?
Complete in July with no II, but I've apparently survived two rounds of mass rejections. Anyone else in the same boat?
Similar, complete in August.
Same. Complete mid Oct. Remaining hopeful 🙂
What does the status say if you've been rejected? And where will it be?
What does the status say if you've been rejected? And where will it be?
Well I got an email with a link to the secondary/status website. Then on the main page that says "Application for Admission (Deadline has Passed)", the last line says "Decision Status" and then a link that says "Your application decision is now available online" that leads to the rejection letter.
Same. Complete mid Oct. Remaining hopeful 🙂
Still nothing, complete in August...
I have a good friend who got in interview invite Februrary 28th, interviewed March 14th and got in! There is always hope!
II!!! I don't even......not even in my wildest dreams. Still in shock.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck!!The Dec 6th interview group was told decisions would be out end of January. Here's to waiting for good news this week 🙂
Thanks! and Congrats on your acceptance.Good luck!!
One of the people I interviewed with just Facebooked me saying she got in. I asked how and when, but she hasn't responded--I assume she's celebrating?
I think they said it wouldn't be phone calls, only emails. But I don't know.
No one else has heard anything?
nope, but am anxious nowNo one else has heard anything?
I've seriously never wanted someone to respond to my Facebook message as badly as I do right this second.
This wait is horrible... Any chance she is kidding? It seems weird that no one else has heard if they are doing emails no?
Yea, I have no idea. I've literally only met this girl once. I came on the forum expecting to see everyone celebrating, but the fact that no one is makes me think there's something I'm missing.This wait is horrible... Any chance she is kidding? It seems weird that no one else has heard if they are doing emails no?
FYI in December they did a mass email linking to status updates and people were either wait listed or accepted. Seems strange they would do one off emails or phone calls nowYea, I have no idea. I've literally only met this girl once. I came on the forum expecting to see everyone celebrating, but the fact that no one is makes me think there's something I'm missing.
FREAKING OUTTT, got an interview invite about 45 minutes ago! First of the season (finally!) so I'm even more excited haha.
EDIT :: Complete on October 22nd and stats are in MDApps, for anyone interested!
EDIT :: Complete on October 22nd and stats are in MDApps, for anyone interested!
Last edited:
November interview and got a no caller id call at 2pm. My phone was on silent and unfortunately missed it - no voicemail. Really bummed right now, but of course no way to know if it was actually admissions. Ughhhhhhhh
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite earlier today too! Does anyone know how long the whole interview process takes? Hoping to be able to fly back that night so I don't have to pay for a hotel for two nights but not sure if I'll have time... Any help would really be appreciated! If it matters they told me to report by 11am.
thanks and really hope everything goes well for those still waiting 🙂
thanks and really hope everything goes well for those still waiting 🙂
I think it ended around 5 for us (one of the later interview days).Interview invite earlier today too! Does anyone know how long the whole interview process takes? Hoping to be able to fly back that night so I don't have to pay for a hotel for two nights but not sure if I'll have time... Any help would really be appreciated! If it matters they told me to report by 11am.
thanks and really hope everything goes well for those still waiting 🙂
For those of who you have heard back already, was the decision in the email? Or did everyone (accepted or not) have to check the status page?
Good luck everyone!
Good luck everyone!
False alarm.FYI in December they did a mass email linking to status updates and people were either wait listed or accepted. Seems strange they would do one off emails or phone calls now
She was accepted to NYU, and messaged me that she "just got accepted" (and then went out to celebrate, so I didn't get more info till now). We both applied to both schools, but I met her and Hopkins and it didn't even cross my mind that she might have been talking about NYU.
So we're good. Sorry everyone. But thank you for helping calm me down!
-.- lol.
Well tell her congratulations on NYU though... and let the wait resume. My heart rate is back to normal at least...
Well tell her congratulations on NYU though... and let the wait resume. My heart rate is back to normal at least...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
