You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My status page has two messages on it right now:
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 07/16/2013.
** Your Secondary Application was completed on 07/18/2013 and is currently under review. **
July 18th was the day they marked all my LOR's as being received. Hope this helps. 🙂
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 07/16/2013.
** Your Secondary Application was completed on 07/18/2013 and is currently under review. **
July 18th was the day they marked all my LOR's as being received. Hope this helps. 🙂
I submitted my secondar for almost a week now and it doesn't say that my secondary has been received should I call them?
Edit: just saw that it says it may take a while to be marked as received.
Edit: just saw that it says it may take a while to be marked as received.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't know NYMC required biochem before submitting my primary. 🙁
Join the club... wasted $34 on my primary app here! fml lol
Even if we plan on taking biochem later like spring semester before graduating, that still means I'm ineligible from applying right... -_-
Join the club... wasted $34 on my primary app here! fml lol
Even if we plan on taking biochem later like spring semester before graduating, that still means I'm ineligible from applying right... -_-
If you take biochemistry before you matriculate you shouldn't be ineligible... But you could probably ask before submitting a secondary.
submitted my secondary today!!
Yes, the vast majority of schools require prereqs before matriculation, not before application (the only exception I know is AECOM that requires them to be complete by January).If you take biochemistry before you matriculate you shouldn't be ineligible... But you could probably ask before submitting a secondary.
Plus, it has been discussed earlier in the thread that NYMC is currently flexible about this requirement and will allow OChem II in lieu of Biochem.
Yes, the vast majority of schools require prereqs before matriculation, not before application (the only exception I know is AECOM that requires them to be complete by January).
Plus, it has been discussed earlier in the thread that NYMC is currently flexible about this requirement and will allow OChem II in lieu of Biochem.
I will call tomorrow and report back. I've graduated, so taking it in the future is not possible.
Note from a NYMC insider - take biochemistry. Biochemistry here is INTENSE because we have a very strong biochemistry department. 7 students failed biochemistry last year, if I recall correctly.
I will call tomorrow and report back. I've graduated, so taking it in the future is not possible.
I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was last year's thread) that as long as you take it before matriculation it would be fine.
I too have graduated already without having taken biochem, but local state colleges will probably let you take a course if you talk to the admissions office.
man i submitted on the 17 but all it says on my status page is:
Your verified AMCAS application was received.
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 07/15/2013.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 07/17/2013.
Anyone else in the same boat?
Your verified AMCAS application was received.
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 07/15/2013.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 07/17/2013.
Anyone else in the same boat?
man i submitted on the 17 but all it says on my status page is:
Your verified AMCAS application was received.
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 07/15/2013.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 07/17/2013.
Anyone else in the same boat?
Yup, same here as well
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it helps, I submitted mine on July 15th, and it was only marked complete and under review this morning.
You guys should have your applications complete in the next couple of days.
Did you ever get an email regarding the status change? Or did you have to check the website for your status?
Yes, the vast majority of schools require prereqs before matriculation, not before application (the only exception I know is AECOM that requires them to be complete by January).
Plus, it has been discussed earlier in the thread that NYMC is currently flexible about this requirement and will allow OChem II in lieu of Biochem.
Uh I thought it was the complete opposite?
This was on the previous page:Uh I thought it was the complete opposite?
From the sound of it (and her other replies in this thread), this person has real inside info (an admissions staff member???).To clear this up- the instructions this year say you need biochem (they want to gradually make the switch over to it being mandatory because they think it's in important class, etc). HOWEVER, if you already graduated, and did not take biochem but took orgo II then you are fine and the orgo II can be substituted for biochem!!
Sorry for the caps and !!! but just want to clear up everyone's questions 😀![]()
(And the "complete opposite" was from worried applicants who don't have Biochem.)
It's not that I want to discourage anyone from taking Biochem, but it seems like if you haven't taken it, you will still be OK for NYMC.
To clear this up- the instructions this year say you need biochem (they want to gradually make the switch over to it being mandatory because they think it's in important class, etc). HOWEVER, if you already graduated, and did not take biochem but took orgo II then you are fine and the orgo II can be substituted for biochem!!
Sorry for the caps and !!! but just want to clear up everyone's questions 😀![]()
Could you give me a link where it says this? I'm not seeing it. 😕
Post 216 on page 5: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14262441&postcount=216Could you give me a link where it says this? I'm not seeing it. 😕
I can't be the only person seeing it 🙂
Post 216 on page 5: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14262441&postcount=216
I can't be the only person seeing it 🙂
Oh, no I mean on their secondary page. 🙂
http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/Instructions.html
Their older secondary (the one I looked at before they updated it) explicitly said organic chemistry II was an acceptable substitute for biochemistry.
I see. Well, they're saying Biochem (or equivalent), which gives some leeway for OChem II substitution even with this wording 🙂Oh, no I mean on their secondary page. 🙂
http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/Instructions.html
Their older secondary (the one I looked at before they updated it) explicitly said organic chemistry II was an acceptable substitute for biochemistry.
They do want applicants to take Biochem, but it seems like they will still be flexible about it. They're not like some schools that explicitly say no substitutes will be accepted for Biochem (UT San Antonio comes to mind).
https://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/Instructions.html
Bolded for relevant wording:
"In order to apply to New York Medical College you must meet the following conditions. It is your responsibility to make sure that you meet all requirements. Please do not apply if you do not meet these conditions."
Their list includes:
General Biology with lab, 2 semesters (or equivalent)
General Chemistry with lab, 2 semesters (or equivalent)
Organic Chemistry with lab, 1 semester (or equivalent)
Biochemistry, 1 semester with or without lab (or equivalent)
Physics, 2 semesters with lab (or equivalent)
English, 2 semesters (or equivalent or successful completion of the English requirements of your undergraduate institution)
I would call and try to talk to someone at the admissions office who knows their stuff about what "or equivalent" means. It's probably worth the $110 to get first-hand information.
Bolded for relevant wording:
"In order to apply to New York Medical College you must meet the following conditions. It is your responsibility to make sure that you meet all requirements. Please do not apply if you do not meet these conditions."
Their list includes:
General Biology with lab, 2 semesters (or equivalent)
General Chemistry with lab, 2 semesters (or equivalent)
Organic Chemistry with lab, 1 semester (or equivalent)
Biochemistry, 1 semester with or without lab (or equivalent)
Physics, 2 semesters with lab (or equivalent)
English, 2 semesters (or equivalent or successful completion of the English requirements of your undergraduate institution)
I would call and try to talk to someone at the admissions office who knows their stuff about what "or equivalent" means. It's probably worth the $110 to get first-hand information.
https://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/Instructions.html
Bolded for relevant wording:
"In order to apply to New York Medical College you must meet the following conditions. It is your responsibility to make sure that you meet all requirements. Please do not apply if you do not meet these conditions."
Their list includes:
General Biology with lab, 2 semesters (or equivalent)
General Chemistry with lab, 2 semesters (or equivalent)
Organic Chemistry with lab, 1 semester (or equivalent)
Biochemistry, 1 semester with or without lab (or equivalent)
Physics, 2 semesters with lab (or equivalent)
English, 2 semesters (or equivalent or successful completion of the English requirements of your undergraduate institution)
I would call and try to talk to someone at the admissions office who knows their stuff about what "or equivalent" means. It's probably worth the $110 to get first-hand information.
I sent an email minutes ago in order to clear everything up:
Hello,
I have already graduated from my undergraduate institution. If accepted to NYMC, taking Biochemistry before matriculation would not be possible. For the 2013-2014 application season, would Organic Chemistry II be accepted in lieu of a Biochemistry course given my circumstances?
Thank you,
nuneyah
An automated response said I will get an email back up to 3 days from now. I will post their answer here whenever I get it. In the meantime, if anyone calls to ask about this, especially for people who have already graduated 😕, please post what they say!
I believe this has already been addressed. I have verified it anyhow. Received their reply this morning.
My original email: "I have heard from different sources (e.g. StudentDoctor Network) that NYMC will allow Organic Chemistry 2 in place for the biochem prereq. Is this true?"
Reply: "Yes we will if you have graduated already!"
My original email: "I have heard from different sources (e.g. StudentDoctor Network) that NYMC will allow Organic Chemistry 2 in place for the biochem prereq. Is this true?"
Reply: "Yes we will if you have graduated already!"
I believe this has already been addressed. I have verified it anyhow. Received their reply this morning.
My original email: "I have heard from different sources (e.g. StudentDoctor Network) that NYMC will allow Organic Chemistry 2 in place for the biochem prereq. Is this true?"
Reply: "Yes we will if you have graduated already!"
Good. Now I just need to get them to re-send my login info for the secondary.

Complete!!! Submitted 7/15
I submitted 7/12 and have been complete and 'under review' since 7/15. I don't think they're reviewing applications yet...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For credit hours earned, if you're on the quarter system, do you put for instance, 4 hours or 2.7 hours that amcas has converted it to for semester hours.
Also, is title referring to Dr./Ms. or their official title, like Assistant Professor, etc.
Thanks guys!
Also, is title referring to Dr./Ms. or their official title, like Assistant Professor, etc.
Thanks guys!
For credit hours earned, if you're on the quarter system, do you put for instance, 4 hours or 2.7 hours that amcas has converted it to for semester hours.
Also, is title referring to Dr./Ms. or their official title, like Assistant Professor, etc.
Thanks guys!
Professor/Advisor/Boss, etc.
Did this application have a list any family that attended the school? I completely forgot I have an aunt that went here and already submitted! Is it worth trying to find out how to update/send in a letter of sorts?
I can't speak to whether it is worth it or not, but the status page talks about sending updates
Few questions:
1) Any way to check application status online? EDIT: found it, nevermind
2) Will we get an email when we are complete?
3) How long did it take to get marked complete after everything was received by AMCAS/secondary submitted?
1) Any way to check application status online? EDIT: found it, nevermind
2) Will we get an email when we are complete?
3) How long did it take to get marked complete after everything was received by AMCAS/secondary submitted?
2) No. You will find out about this on the status page.Few questions:
1) Any way to check application status online? EDIT: found it, nevermind
2) Will we get an email when we are complete?
3) How long did it take to get marked complete after everything was received by AMCAS/secondary submitted?
3) For me, it took 15 days.
Edit
Few questions:
1) Any way to check application status online? EDIT: found it, nevermind
2) Will we get an email when we are complete?
3) How long did it take to get marked complete after everything was received by AMCAS/secondary submitted?
2) No
3) just over 2 weeks.
This was on the previous page:
From the sound of it (and her other replies in this thread), this person has real inside info (an admissions staff member???).
(And the "complete opposite" was from worried applicants who don't have Biochem.)
It's not that I want to discourage anyone from taking Biochem, but it seems like if you haven't taken it, you will still be OK for NYMC.
Guiltyy- I was an admissions coordinator at the school (just left 2 weeks ago to relocate to another state). So I wanted to come on here and answer some of your questions so that they (and you!!) weren't overwhelmed during the busy season.
So again about biochem. If you have graduated already and have not taken biochem but have taken orgo II- this will suffice! So do not fret. If you have not graduated yet- you will need to take it before you matriculate. But this does not mean you can not apply. It just needs to be completed BEFORE matriculation. I know it's confusing, but they want to transition into making it mandatory for students to take biochem to prepare you for the curriculum. However, they also understand how much of a pain it is to take a class after you have already graduated, so although they have not updated the website, orgo II will cover the biochem requirement if you have already graduated!
Hope this helps!
If you have any other questions- feel free to PM me 🙂
Oh, also! NYMC Admissions is now on facebook! You should like them for updates on the MMI and the interview cycle. For exmaple, NYMC is closed a bunch in the fall for Jewish holidays and they will start posting when the office will be closed. (Last year I saw a bunch of posts on here asking why the office was closed and it raised a bunch of confusion/panic). There will also be reminders about deadlines and etc.
https://www.facebook.com/NYMCSchoolofMedicineAdmissions
https://www.facebook.com/NYMCSchoolofMedicineAdmissions
~. .
Submitted on 7/15 and still not complete! I am worried that I made some mistake when submitting.
Submitted on 7/15 and still not complete! I am worried that I made some mistake when submitting.
Same here.
Submitted on 7/15 and still not complete! I am worried that I made some mistake when submitting.
I submitted 7/15 and got marked complete yesterday. I'm sure it's coming soon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted on 7/15 and still not complete! I am worried that I made some mistake when submitting.
I submitted on the 12th and it still says verified... waiting for it to change to complete and under review
I submitted 7/15 and got marked complete yesterday. I'm sure it's coming soon.
Did you get an email saying you're complete?
Did you get an email saying you're complete?
No, I found out just checking my status.
I submitted on the 12th and it still says verified... waiting for it to change to complete and under review
Oh, just kidding! I just found on my page that I have been complete and under review since 7/15. oops.. missed it since it is in the middle of my page in small writing lol