2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wished there was like a 3000 character thing like "Why NYMC?" you know? I'm a current grad student at NYMC, I feel like something like that would benefit everyone, but would have been really helpful for me to drive my message home for NYMC
Look, there is a place in the secondary app where you can mention that you're a current NYMC student - a Masters student, I assume? - in the alumni/employee etc. section, they do ask whether *you* or your relatives ever studied at NYMC. You really don't need 3000 characters to say that you want to go to NYMC because you're a current student there (and, of course, you enrolled into the Masters program there for the sole purpose of getting into their med school, as many people do 😛).

And please, curb your entitled attitude. NYMC does not have to send you secondaries faster than anybody else. Neither do they have to accept you to their med school: yes, they do appreciate grad degrees, and yes, they do have a soft spot for their alumni, but I know several people who graduated with Master's from NYMC and who didn't get accepted to the med school there. (They eventually got accepted to other schools and everything worked out well for them, but my point is they didn't get accepted to NYMC).

I don't mean to be... ahem... mean and I wish you best of luck this application cycle, but your entitled attitude is quite a turn off.
 
I feel like the secondary is glitching on me. For my 2 optional letters, it wants me to enter a course code and how many credits it was.. but those two optional letters are from my volunteering, not classes..

Anyone else dealing with this?
 
I feel like the secondary is glitching on me. For my 2 optional letters, it wants me to enter a course code and how many credits it was.. but those two optional letters are from my volunteering, not classes..

Anyone else dealing with this?

You can write in something like "N/A" or just "Volunteer"

Put in "0" for credit hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my school sends a letter packet and doesn't write a committee letter. Anyone know how I'd add that on the secondary?

Guess I'll call them and ask tomorrow
 
Blah, I only had a committee letter packet from my graduate school, but they seem hell bent on having the committee letter from undergrad institutions, with the graduate packet on top of that. Looks like I'll be waiting on a new letter from the pre-med advisor I haven't spoken to in 3 years. Boohoo for me.
 
Look, there is a place in the secondary app where you can mention that you're a current NYMC student - a Masters student, I assume? - in the alumni/employee etc. section, they do ask whether *you* or your relatives ever studied at NYMC. You really don't need 3000 characters to say that you want to go to NYMC because you're a current student there (and, of course, you enrolled into the Masters program there for the sole purpose of getting into their med school, as many people do 😛).

And please, curb your entitled attitude. NYMC does not have to send you secondaries faster than anybody else. Neither do they have to accept you to their med school: yes, they do appreciate grad degrees, and yes, they do have a soft spot for their alumni, but I know several people who graduated with Master's from NYMC and who didn't get accepted to the med school there. (They eventually got accepted to other schools and everything worked out well for them, but my point is they didn't get accepted to NYMC).

I don't mean to be... ahem... mean and I wish you best of luck this application cycle, but your entitled attitude is quite a turn off.

YankeeBean was not trying to be "entitled" when making any of those comments. As a student there, you have to understand that YankeeBean probably really wants to go there in order to continue a lot of the work that he is probably already doing with other faculty/students at NYMC.

We really need to start using these threads for getting advice/updates, etc... from each other instead of arguing. Bashing on other people really does no good for anyone. If you want to argue, there are other forums on the internet where you can go post whatever you want. One of the reasons I like SDN so much is because for the most part people are respectful, knowledgable, and have the same/goals ambitions as me. Let's keep it civil guys. 🙂
 
Secondary received – unverified (submitted 6/27), 4.0/33, OOS. Really hoping for a shot at NYMC!
 
YankeeBean was not trying to be "entitled" when making any of those comments. As a student there, you have to understand that YankeeBean probably really wants to go there in order to continue a lot of the work that he is probably already doing with other faculty/students at NYMC.

We really need to start using these threads for getting advice/updates, etc... from each other instead of arguing. Bashing on other people really does no good for anyone. If you want to argue, there are other forums on the internet where you can go post whatever you want. One of the reasons I like SDN so much is because for the most part people are respectful, knowledgable, and have the same/goals ambitions as me. Let's keep it civil guys. 🙂

👍

Also, when you come from a school's master's program that has a medical school, you will know A LOT about their medical school. You'll have a much better answer to why you want to go to that school than many other people that are just grabbing facts from the internet. That's not entitlement, it's just reality.

Source: Holllaaaaa, I did a master's program at a medical school too.
 
After searching some more, it looks like I definitely can't use organic II. I like how the *******s changed this policy on June 3rd, when I was coming up with school lists and reviewing school-specific prerequisites in the middle of May. Oh well, at least it's only $35 down the hole instead of $145.

Yeah, I called the office back when I made that other post. It sucks, other schools have changed the requirements too like SUNY Upstate. UMiami for example is giving advanced noticed (on their website it says starting January 2014 you need to have Biochem). I guess we should at least be lucky that we are applying before ALL schools eventually make biochem a requirement.

But honestly I'm still applying, if I end up wanting to go to one of these schools I'll just bite the bullet and take Biochem before matriculating lol.
 
We really need to start using these threads for getting advice/updates, etc... from each other instead of arguing. Bashing on other people really does no good for anyone. If you want to argue, there are other forums on the internet where you can go post whatever you want.

:highfive:
 
Yeah, I called the office back when I made that other post. It sucks, other schools have changed the requirements too like SUNY Upstate. UMiami for example is giving advanced noticed (on their website it says starting January 2014 you need to have Biochem). I guess we should at least be lucky that we are applying before ALL schools eventually make biochem a requirement.

But honestly I'm still applying, if I end up wanting to go to one of these schools I'll just bite the bullet and take Biochem before matriculating lol.

Biochem (and Psych and Soc) are going to be requirements for the 2015 MCAT so it looks like some schools are just adding their new prereqs a little early.

Congrats on the II, BTW!
 
Just got the secondary. Was about to go to sleep haha. 4.0/ 37 international applicant.

EDIT 5 minutes later: Well... that was easy.
 
Last edited:
Biochem (and Psych and Soc) are going to be requirements for the 2015 MCAT so it looks like some schools are just adding their new prereqs a little early.

Congrats on the II, BTW!

Yeah, honestly most of the schools I applied to don't require it (including my top choices) so I can't complain.

And thanks!!! Hope you get some good news soon too 🙂
 
There was no place where we were supposed to enter that information. You basically just had to list any relatives, letters of rec, agree to a bunch of stuff, and then submit. Unless I missed something too...:scared:

WTF is this true? If so I totally missed it also...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of the reasons I like SDN so much is because for the most part people are respectful, knowledgable, and have the same/goals ambitions as me. Let's keep it civil guys. 🙂
While my opinion about the original issue hasn't changed, this is something I agree with. Best of luck to all the peace-loving and good-natured applicants!
 
Secondary received and still unverified!

Quick question though. If I got a science LOR from my PI who was also my professor for a class that was part of my major, but the letter focused on my research experience, what should I put for the course name? The class from my major or independent research (I got credit for it)? It's the only LOR I have from my major, but I also don't want that to be deceptive if my LOR is all about my contribution to his lab...

Along the same lines, if a letter writer taught me in multiple courses, should I just write down one?

Thanks!!
 
"If your college does not have a premedical committee, a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required. The names of the individual letters writers must be listed on your AMCAS application."

does anyone else have a letter packet? my AMCAS app just shows the name of my letter packet. it doesn't show the name of every author within the packet.

"The third required letter of evaluation must be from a non-science course."
anyone know if electrical engineering is considered non-science? my letters are all in bio, chem, or electrical eng. i don't have a letter for something like philosophy. biomedical engineering is considered science. idk about electrical though
 
If I do not know anybody who was faculty or alumni, do I put N/A or just leave it blank?

I feel like if I leave it blank, they might think I overlooked/skipped this section.

I just don't want to mess this up
 
"If your college does not have a premedical committee, a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required. The names of the individual letters writers must be listed on your AMCAS application."

does anyone else have a letter packet? my AMCAS app just shows the name of my letter packet. it doesn't show the name of every author within the packet.

"The third required letter of evaluation must be from a non-science course."
anyone know if electrical engineering is considered non-science? my letters are all in bio, chem, or electrical eng. i don't have a letter for something like philosophy. biomedical engineering is considered science. idk about electrical though

Also unverified OOS receiving email. Anyone get on the horn with these guys about how to list a letter packet?
 
Weird Secondary...!!! It just asks for names of LOR or family members attending their school. $110 for secondary apps fees.....BUT it was easy and fast!
 
Hey guys, I'm waiting on a LOR from a doc, so it has not been submitted to AMCAS.

Can I list this letter (my optional letter) on my secondary and submit?

If it matters, I have not been verified yet
 
Hey guys, I'm waiting on a LOR from a doc, so it has not been submitted to AMCAS.

Can I list this letter (my optional letter) on my secondary and submit?

If it matters, I have not been verified yet

I think that you can list it as long as it'll get submitted to AMCAS eventually..
 
There letter of rec requirements are making me nervous. I have a committee packet, 1 letter from my chem professor (not my major), and 2 from docs that I've been in contact with. I'm hoping that I didn't just toss out 110$ on this secondary to be dismissed on a technicality.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The interview season will not be starting until October; interview invites will start going out sometime in September.
 
There letter of rec requirements are making me nervous. I have a committee packet, 1 letter from my chem professor (not my major), and 2 from docs that I've been in contact with. I'm hoping that I didn't just toss out 110$ on this secondary to be dismissed on a technicality.

You only got one letter from a professor at college?
 
Submitted today with 1 science letter, 1 non-science letter, and 1 mathematics letter. Hopefully it doesn't hurt me too much that I don't have 2 science letters (since when is math not a science?) :luck:
 
Submitted today with 1 science letter, 1 non-science letter, and 1 mathematics letter. Hopefully it doesn't hurt me too much that I don't have 2 science letters (since when is math not a science?) :luck:

The math letter doesn't effect me personally, but it's kinda bs lol, math is bcpm!
 
For anyone with a letter packet without a committee letter, I just called them and asked. They said even for letter packets, you should write the names of all your recommenders in the box and don't fill in the slot for committee letter since they want to check that all your letters in the packet are there.

Also, I asked them about how stringent their conditions are the letter from your major and the lady said they understand if you don't have that. Just send them an email telling them if you don't have that and it shouldn't affect you negatively (or so she says).
 
For anyone with a letter packet without a committee letter, I just called them and asked. They said even for letter packets, you should write the names of all your recommenders in the box and don't fill in the slot for committee letter since they want to check that all your letters in the packet are there.

Also, I asked them about how stringent their conditions are the letter from your major and the lady said they understand if you don't have that. Just send them an email telling them if you don't have that and it shouldn't affect you negatively (or so she says).

Oops, then I will just have to call after they receive my committee letter--I had originally filled in all the data, then saw the big OR and the spot for university name for a committee letter and deleted all the individual letter writer info...
 
It says my application is complete and is under review. It's my first application that actually says "under review" and it's scary.
 
Hello All,
I was wondering if we conclude the units uin progress that we are taking with a faculty right now!
I am also submitting a letter from my chem teacher who was my science teacher and also employer! is that ok if i list him as my optional!
 
Does AMCAS not send LOR (committee letter for me) to schools until after you are verified?

When I go to the status for NYMC, the page is kinda weird and confusing.
 
Well this sucks

My LOR

-MD for which I worked for (1.5 year relationship)
-My research PI (2 years relationship)
-Microbio Professor (not major) (1.5 year relationship)
-Economics Professor (not major) (3 years relationship)

Major was Biochemistry

So I guess I can not apply here. Its so annoying when schools are this picky about LOR.

I wish they would read the LOR for the content and not just to mark off on checklist. The reason I chose those four people to evaluate me is because they knew me for the longest time and I had a great relationship with them.

For me to be able to send a good LOR to this school I would have had to (in the past) known and established a great relationship with 2 Sci Professor (one of which in my Major Dept).

This is kinda silly because when It came to picking LOR I chose the people who I knew would be able to evaluate me with the greatest detail and intent.

So far for the other (4 secondaries) that I have received I have not any problems with.

At 110 USD it not worth risking sending my LOR only two have them dismiss my app for this reason.

Good luck to rest.
 
Is there any advantage at all to completing this secondary now before you are verified on AMCAS? Will it be considered complete without the verification?

I'm in a sticky situation where I have all of my individual letters (science and non-science) available on AMCAS, but my committee letter won't be written until the end of the summer. I have a good 2-3 weeks before I'm verified on AMCAS.

Another question -- for those that called NYMC about the biochemistry requirement -- is it okay to take biochem later next spring? I do not currently have it listed on AAMC that I plan on taking biochem. EDIT: Found the answer to this question, "I called and it's fine if you don't have Biochem listed under Future Coursework, you can still be accepted as long as you eventually take it before matriculation" from SixStringPsych
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any advantage at all to completing this secondary now before you are verified on AMCAS? Will it be considered complete without the verification?

I just submitted my secondary and it says "Your application is considered COMPLETE only when the Secondary Application is received by our office, your payment or fee waiver request is processed, and all of the letters you identified on your secondary application are received."
 
Oops, then I will just have to call after they receive my committee letter--I had originally filled in all the data, then saw the big OR and the spot for university name for a committee letter and deleted all the individual letter writer info...

Fug....yea, looks like I'll have to call them too if they really want us to fill it all out even for a letter packet...
 
Well this sucks


I wish they would read the LOR for the content and not just to mark off on checklist. The reason I chose those four people to evaluate me is because they knew me for the longest time and I had a great relationship with them.

For me to be able to send a good LOR to this school I would have had to (in the past) known and established a great relationship with 2 Sci Professor (one of which in my Major Dept).

This is kinda silly because when It came to picking LOR I chose the people who I knew would be able to evaluate me with the greatest detail and intent.

So far for the other (4 secondaries) that I have received I have not any problems with.

At 110 USD it not worth risking sending my LOR only two have them dismiss my app for this reason.

Good luck to rest.

Totally agree, I'm a little uneasy about spending that kind of money, and they don't even provide us with the opportunity to write anything in the secondary.
 
Just to get this straight, if I took Organic Chemistry II for Life Sciences, but not Biochemistry, I do not fulfill the requirements of NYMC?!
I took Biochem pass/fail senior year unfortunately, but I always thought Organic was the requirement and Biochem optional but recommended...

Please someone let me know if I still fill the requirements!

Thanks!
 
Fug....yea, looks like I'll have to call them too if they really want us to fill it all out even for a letter packet...

i called bc i had submitted my secondary and put my letter packet in the committee letter section. they said it was okay as long as you have 2 science and 1 nonscience letter in the packet