2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just to get this straight, if I took Organic Chemistry II for Life Sciences, but not Biochemistry, I do not fulfill the requirements of NYMC?!
I took Biochem pass/fail senior year unfortunately, but I always thought Organic was the requirement and Biochem optional but recommended...

Please someone let me know if I still fill the requirements!

Thanks!

Nope, you don't fulfill the requirements. If you get accepted you'll have to take Biochem for a grade before matriculation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to get this straight, if I took Organic Chemistry II for Life Sciences, but not Biochemistry, I do not fulfill the requirements of NYMC?!
I took Biochem pass/fail senior year unfortunately, but I always thought Organic was the requirement and Biochem optional but recommended...

Please someone let me know if I still fill the requirements!

Thanks!
yeah this is frustrating as hell. I have biochem pass/fail so hopefully that'll be good enough for them. doesnt say anything about pass fail not being good enough for them
 
Sorry guys...I tried to read through the whole thread but I'm still a little unclear about the answer to this question (probably because my brain is mush from the secondaries that are a wee bit more involved than this one! :laugh:)

I have a committee letter from my school. I initially entered the names of the people who wrote letters that contributed to that committee letter but then figured that all they wanted was the name of my school from which I got the committee letter because of the giant bolded "OR" for people without a committee letter, where you then were prompted to enter this info.

So did I need to still enter individual LOR writer information for people who contributed to the committee letter? Do I need to call them or will I be stamped "DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS" so I should just forget it 😛

Thanks for anyone who can help me out!
 
Sorry guys...I tried to read through the whole thread but I'm still a little unclear about the answer to this question (probably because my brain is mush from the secondaries that are a wee bit more involved than this one! :laugh:)

I have a committee letter from my school. I initially entered the names of the people who wrote letters that contributed to that committee letter but then figured that all they wanted was the name of my school from which I got the committee letter because of the giant bolded "OR" for people without a committee letter, where you then were prompted to enter this info.

So did I need to still enter individual LOR writer information for people who contributed to the committee letter? Do I need to call them or will I be stamped "DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS" so I should just forget it 😛

Thanks for anyone who can help me out!

I just entered the name of the committee letter and nothing else.

I plan to leave this be, but if you do get instruction from them to do otherwise I would greatly appreciate you updating us.

I'm pretty much being destroyed by secondaries and my job right now.
 
My status now says: "Your Secondary Application was completed on 07/17/2013 and is currently under review." 🙂 For reference, I received & submitted the secondary on 7/15.
 
Is anyone else confused by the NYMC status page? I feel as if it explains everything of what qualifies as "complete" but doesn't say anything about my personal status in terms of letters being received. 😕
 
Is anyone else confused by the NYMC status page? I feel as if it explains everything of what qualifies as "complete" but doesn't say anything about my personal status in terms of letters being received. 😕

I agree--although now that my letters have been marked as received, it makes sense.

This is what I see:

Letters of Evaluation Information

Required Letters must be received through the AMCAS Letter Service. Optional letters may be sent through AMCAS, or via Email ([email protected])

**Optional letters and or update emails sent to the [email protected] email address will be automatically added to your file for the committee's review. WE WILL NOT RESPOND TO AN EMAIL UNLESS A RESPONSE IS NEEDED.

We confirm receipt of only those letters identified on your secondary application. All other letters are considered optional and receipt of these letters is NOT posted below. Please note the completion of your secondary application may take several weeks from the time you submit. Please be patient.

Your application is considered COMPLETE only when the Secondary Application is received by our office, your payment or fee waiver request is processed, and all of the letters you identified on your secondary application are received.


LETTER RECEIVED:
07/17/2013 Committee Letter from ________

** Your Secondary Application was completed on 07/17/2013 and is currently under review. **
 
Is anyone else confused by the NYMC status page? I feel as if it explains everything of what qualifies as "complete" but doesn't say anything about my personal status in terms of letters being received. 😕

When your app is complete, above the line "interview information", it will say:

**Your Secondary Application was completed on MM/DD/YYYY and is currently under review**
 
For anyone with a letter packet without a committee letter, I just called them and asked. They said even for letter packets, you should write the names of all your recommenders in the box and don't fill in the slot for committee letter since they want to check that all your letters in the packet are there.

Also, I asked them about how stringent their conditions are the letter from your major and the lady said they understand if you don't have that. Just send them an email telling them if you don't have that and it shouldn't affect you negatively (or so she says).
I promise you it's not that strict on the major letter. Just mark any of them and send an e-mail. It's more for non-science majors.
 
Sorry guys...I tried to read through the whole thread but I'm still a little unclear about the answer to this question (probably because my brain is mush from the secondaries that are a wee bit more involved than this one! :laugh:)

I have a committee letter from my school. I initially entered the names of the people who wrote letters that contributed to that committee letter but then figured that all they wanted was the name of my school from which I got the committee letter because of the giant bolded "OR" for people without a committee letter, where you then were prompted to enter this info.

So did I need to still enter individual LOR writer information for people who contributed to the committee letter? Do I need to call them or will I be stamped "DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS" so I should just forget it 😛

Thanks for anyone who can help me out!
Just enter the Committee Letter there- you don't need to enter each individual letter writer.

ALSO a lot of you will have a Committee Letter and then have extra science/non-science/optional letters attached your committee letter. For this you also do not need to write each individual person who wrote your letters in the extra boxes. It's only to check that you have those "required" letters. AKA the committee letter or 2 science/1 non science.

That being said, ALL letters you send through AMCAS will be reviewed whether or not you write them down on your secondary application!! So please don't worry if you didn't write down one of your optional letters!
 
Just to get this straight, if I took Organic Chemistry II for Life Sciences, but not Biochemistry, I do not fulfill the requirements of NYMC?!
I took Biochem pass/fail senior year unfortunately, but I always thought Organic was the requirement and Biochem optional but recommended...

Please someone let me know if I still fill the requirements!

Thanks!

To clear this up- the instructions this year say you need biochem (they want to gradually make the switch over to it being mandatory because they think it's in important class, etc). HOWEVER, if you already graduated, and did not take biochem but took orgo II then you are fine and the orgo II can be substituted for biochem!!

Sorry for the caps and !!! but just want to clear up everyone's questions 😀 :woot:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To clear this up- the instructions this year say you need biochem (they want to gradually make the switch over to it being mandatory because they think it's in important class, etc). HOWEVER, if you already graduated, and did not take biochem but took orgo II then you are fine and the orgo II can be substituted for biochem!!

Sorry for the caps and !!! but just want to clear up everyone's questions 😀 :woot:

Wait REALLY? When I called they say I had to take it before matriculation, but maybe because they thought I was still in undergrad...

Who gave you this information?
 
Wait REALLY? When I called they say I had to take it before matriculation, but maybe because they thought I was still in undergrad...

Who gave you this information?

Yeah it was just changed yesterday! The committee realized that there were so many people who have taken orgo II and not biochem and how hard it is for you to go back and take it if you have already graduated! Ideally they want applicants to start taking biochem in undergrad as a prereq- but if you have already graduated you're in the clear!
 
So, just to be clear - if you have a letter packet that INCLUDES a committee letter, then just list the school name in the committee section and not any of the other letter authors? This makes the most sense considering I only have one physical letter entry on AMCAS, but seven letters total are included in that entry.

Also, that first page where it gives you the option to list faculty/alumni/etc. is only if that person is a RELATIVE, yes?
 
So, just to be clear - if you have a letter packet that INCLUDES a committee letter, then just list the school name in the committee section and not any of the other letter authors? This makes the most sense considering I only have one physical letter entry on AMCAS, but seven letters total are included in that entry.

Also, that first page where it gives you the option to list faculty/alumni/etc. is only if that person is a RELATIVE, yes?
Correct and correct
 
I have a question on how to list my LORs. If I got a science LOR from my PI who was also my professor for a major class, but the letter focused on my research experience, what should I put for the course name? The class from my major or independent research (I got credit for it)? It's the only LOR I have from my major, but I also don't want that to be deceptive if my LOR is all about my contribution to his lab...

Thanks!!
 
Correct and correct

Perfect, thanks!

One last thing - I'm not verified yet but should be within the next day or two. My committee letter also hasn't been completed yet but will be done/uploaded within the next week. Can I still submit the secondary? I couldn't find anything on their website that said otherwise.
 
It requires on LOR from a professor who taught u in a course in your major department. I majored in Neuroscience and a neuroscience class doesn't exist. All my classes were bio, psych, and chem. What should I do?
 
It requires on LOR from a professor who taught u in a course in your major department. I majored in Neuroscience and a neuroscience class doesn't exist. All my classes were bio, psych, and chem. What should I do?

At my school (and most schools in general, I'm pretty sure), neuroscience is considered a subdivision of a biology major. So I'd guess that a biology class would sufficient to fill that requirement.
 
At my school (and most schools in general, I'm pretty sure), neuroscience is considered a subdivision of a biology major. So I'd guess that a biology class would sufficient to fill that requirement.

Ok thanks! one last question. I had a nurse write a letter of recommendation for me and I am not sure where I would enter that in the application. The optional letter of recommendation slots require a college name and course number. anyone else having this issue?
 
Perfect, thanks!

One last thing - I'm not verified yet but should be within the next day or two. My committee letter also hasn't been completed yet but will be done/uploaded within the next week. Can I still submit the secondary? I couldn't find anything on their website that said otherwise.

Yep- submit away!
 
Ok thanks! one last question. I had a nurse write a letter of recommendation for me and I am not sure where I would enter that in the application. The optional letter of recommendation slots require a college name and course number. anyone else having this issue?
For the slots that do not apply you can put NA and for the credit hours you can do 0.
 
Anybody else apply using the fee waiver?

What do they mean by fee-waiver "stub"? Is there something special that AMCAS FAP offers as proof or is it just the bottom of the NYMC confirmation page?
 
If our letter writers did not put our AMCAS ID on the letter... should we have them add it and resubmit? Or should I just send the letters I do have without the ID....I don't want to be delayed any further (still waiting to get verified, should be soon)
 
Anybody else apply using the fee waiver?

What do they mean by fee-waiver "stub"? Is there something special that AMCAS FAP offers as proof or is it just the bottom of the NYMC confirmation page?

I just printed the page with the Fee waiver box check and mailed it in. Didn't know what else to do ... Hopefully that's what they wanted

If our letter writers did not put our AMCAS ID on the letter... should we have them add it and resubmit? Or should I just send the letters I do have without the ID....I don't want to be delayed any further (still waiting to get verified, should be soon)

I don't the letters themselves have to have the ID? I used interfolio so the letters were automatically linked with my AMCAS ID and letters IDs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If our letter writers did not put our AMCAS ID on the letter... should we have them add it and resubmit? Or should I just send the letters I do have without the ID....I don't want to be delayed any further (still waiting to get verified, should be soon)

It's okay send them in without your ID on them. It's more for people that send LORs through email at the end of the interview cycle.
 
Does anyone know if NYMC asks about misdemeanor convictions on their secondary? I have an expunged "drunk in public" from nearly a decade ago that I didn't have to disclose on the primary, and I would rather not have to mention it in a secondary. 🙁 Thanks!
 
Does anyone know if NYMC asks about misdemeanor convictions on their secondary? I have an expunged "drunk in public" from nearly a decade ago that I didn't have to disclose on the primary, and I would rather not have to mention it in a secondary. 🙁 Thanks!
Under NYMC's criminal background check policy:

Medical School applications request disclosure of any misdemeanors or felony convictions, other than minimal traffic violations, including deferred adjudication, with a statement that non-disclosure/falsification may lead to dismissal.

I can't remember if they ask on the secondary specifically, but it sounds like they ask at some point.

http://www.nymc.edu/universitypolicies/Criminal Background Check.pdf
 
More premed neurosis: the instruction page said to "check the appropriate box" if you have a committee letter and then enter the institution name. I entered the name but didn't see a box to check, does anyone remember there being a box? I just saw the committee letter area, a big "OR" and then the evaluator area and didn't see anything to check.
 
Last edited:
I have this on my status page:
LETTER RECEIVED:
In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.

does it mean that they received my LoRs, just didnt' have time to process it?? thank status page is so confusing... 😡
 
I have this on my status page:
LETTER RECEIVED:
In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.

does it mean that they received my LoRs, just didnt' have time to process it?? thank status page is so confusing... 😡


no, it just means they've received your application and it's in line for processing
 
I submitted my secondary on 07/15 but still not complete. Anyone else still waiting?

Just so you guys know completion of your secondaries usually takes 4-6 weeks! If you submit it now it will probably be completed a lot faster (unless you are missing letters). But when the majority of people start to submit their secondaries expect 4-6 to be completed.
 
I submitted on the 15th and was marked as complete this morning, so your time should be coming soon! =]

I submitted on 15th as well. They marked my fee waiver request as received a few days ago, but that is all. No secondary marked received nor letters.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the secondary, it asks to list the course you took with your professors, but I took multiple with them and the character count prohibits me from indicating this (which then in turn screws up how many credit hours I completed with them). Did anyone have this problem?
 
For those who are not complete, does your status page say that you have SUBMITTED the secondary?

My page says they sent the secondary on 15th and they received my fee waiver on the 23rd. But does not say whether or not they have received my secondary or letters. I submitted on the 15th and my letters have been available by AMCAS for weeks.

EDIT: I should have read this thread before asking the question. I see others are having the same issue. Never mind!
 
Last edited:
Good lord, this application page is TERRIBLE. None of the boxes are outlined. I have to put in course credit and credit hours for the LoE from my full-time job. What in god's name did their web designers and database designers do? :laugh:
It's chic duhhhh!!!11!1!

😛
 
It's chic duhhhh!!!11!1!

😛


There's minimalist and then there's somehow deleting the default box outlines from basic HTML by having a broken CSS sheet or something. They should hire me to spruce up the page since I've actually made websites before. :meanie: