-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
A quick question about an update letter/letter of interest.
I interviewed at WCMC in late October and was pretty excited about it. Now that I'm wrapping up the rest of my interview season, I'm absolutely positive this is my top choice. I realize that I was likely evaluated soon after the interview and that my fate may already be sealed. Is it worthwhile to send a letter reiterating my interest? I do have a few things I could throw in as updates, but nothing too life-changing. Or should I wait to hear back from them and then send a letter in the case that I'm waitlisted?
I interviewed at WCMC in late October and was pretty excited about it. Now that I'm wrapping up the rest of my interview season, I'm absolutely positive this is my top choice. I realize that I was likely evaluated soon after the interview and that my fate may already be sealed. Is it worthwhile to send a letter reiterating my interest? I do have a few things I could throw in as updates, but nothing too life-changing. Or should I wait to hear back from them and then send a letter in the case that I'm waitlisted?
Well, as you acknowledged, it likely has already been decided one way or another. Having said that, the admissions folks here are quite down to earth and nobody will be offended that you sent a update letter. Keep it eloquent and to the point. Can't hurt you in any case.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received an interview invite around 4:30pm this afternoon!
I was complete on 8/17, so just shy of the 6 month mark!
Stats: 3.6/3.6/36 balanced
They were scheduling for what seems like the last batch of dates - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for both next week and the week after.
I was complete on 8/17, so just shy of the 6 month mark!
Stats: 3.6/3.6/36 balanced
They were scheduling for what seems like the last batch of dates - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for both next week and the week after.
pre-interview rejection email today
+1II at WCMC this afternoon.
Complete late August.
I'm pretty sure their interview season ends at the end of the month. They make all decisions in March - assuming the 15th.
anyone know until when the interview season is, if all decisions are made after the interviews, and when those who interview hear back?
thanks
I'm pretty sure their interview season ends at the end of the month. They make all decisions in March - assuming the 15th.
In USNews Compass, it says March 1st...but that is a Saturday...
In USNews Compass, it says March 1st...but that is a Saturday...
here is some data for when acceptances were annouced over last several years:
2013: Monday March 11
2012: Thursday March 15
2011: Tuesday March 8
2010: Wednesday March 3
2009: Friday February 27
2008: Friday March 7
*Edited to fix error
Last edited:
here is some data for when acceptances were annouced over last several years:
2013: Friday March 15
2012: Thursday March 15
2011: Tuesday March 8
2010: Wednesday March 3
2009: Friday February 27
2008: Friday March 7
Based on SDN from last year it looks like they released acceptances on Monday, March 11th. Where did you get March 15 from if you don't mind my asking?
Yea, I saw March 11th also as the first acceptance post from last year.Based on SDN from last year it looks like they released acceptances on Monday, March 11th. Where did you get March 15 from if you don't mind my asking?
Based on SDN from last year it looks like they released acceptances on Monday, March 11th. Where did you get March 15 from if you don't mind my asking?
Yea, I saw March 11th also as the first acceptance post from last year.
My mistake, you're right. I edited the original post to fix it. When I had all the old threads open I must have looked at the 2012 tab twice by mistake.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for doing the work for all those years though 🙂My mistake, you're right. I edited the original post to fix it. When I had all the old threads open I must have looked at the 2012 tab twice by mistake.
Gah, Mid-March can't come soon enough!
Just got rejected. Good luck to all of those still in the running!
+1 good luck to all!
Hey y'all! I interviewed at WCMC in October and, like many of you, I LURVED the school and hope for good news in March (such a long wait)! I was super bored at my job and went through the WCMC website. I went through the Global Health Curriculum section (because it's something I am interested in) and found this gem:
"Starting in Fall 2014, Weill Cornell Medical College will initiate a new medical school curriculum. As part of this curriculum reform, students will select an area of concentration (AOC) that will require a scholarly project to be completed in 4th year. Global Health is one such AOC."
(http://www.ghcurriculum.info/global-health-curriculum-job-opportunities ... Haha, I told you I was bored...)
It's pure speculation but I thought it was interesting!
Good luck to all!
"Starting in Fall 2014, Weill Cornell Medical College will initiate a new medical school curriculum. As part of this curriculum reform, students will select an area of concentration (AOC) that will require a scholarly project to be completed in 4th year. Global Health is one such AOC."
(http://www.ghcurriculum.info/global-health-curriculum-job-opportunities ... Haha, I told you I was bored...)
It's pure speculation but I thought it was interesting!
Good luck to all!
"Starting in Fall 2014, Weill Cornell Medical College will initiate a new medical school curriculum.
I suppose that's confirmation that WCMC is implementing the 1.5 year preclinical curriculum this year. My interviewers weren't too sure.
I suppose that's confirmation that WCMC is implementing the 1.5 year preclinical curriculum this year. My interviewers weren't too sure.
Did you get the curriculum sheet in your interview folder? It had a map of the 4 year curriculum with clinical rotations beginning in January.
Did you get the curriculum sheet in your interview folder? It had a map of the 4 year curriculum with clinical rotations beginning in January.
Unless I dropped it somehow, nope.
Unless I dropped it somehow, nope.
Haha, you probably didn't. I interviewed mid-Jan. Perhaps you interviewed earlier and it wasn't included yet? I can snap a photo of it if you'd like to see it when I get
I interviewed in October, so that's a distinct possibility. But as for the picture, that would be perfect, thanks!Haha, you probably didn't. I interviewed mid-Jan. Perhaps you interviewed earlier and it wasn't included yet? I can snap a photo of it if you'd like to see it when I getout of this damn labhome.
Hey guys. This is the schematic of the new curriculum they gave us. It was dated Nov. 2013 so that's probably why some of you don't have it. There is more information about it but I don't have a scanner. Let's see what I can do with a smartphone camera:
I skipped the overview sheet (it was just about the Carnegie report, Cornell's reform aims...) but you might like to read their more in-depth curricular changes:
Thank you winterchill!
You're most welcome Amygdara!
Now let's actually get in...
@winterchill You are the best!!!! haha
Haha, I assure you, I'm the absolute worst. But thanks over2012!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. This is the schematic of the new curriculum they gave us. It was dated Nov. 2013 so that's probably why some of you don't have it. There is more information about it but I don't have a scanner. Let's see what I can do with a smartphone camera:View attachment 178613
Thanks for uploading the schematic! I found this slide from Sept 2013 with a draft of the new curriculum. It mostly matches up, but it's interesting to compare. I guess they are still shuffling the order of some things.
Interviewed here last week. Absolutely loved it; my number one choice for sure. Hoping for the best. Good luck everyone!
I just received an email about a curriculum reform update. I was wondering if anyone else got this email? Hope everyone is doing well!
Yup. Had me frantically checking for words like "regret" or "pleased to" until I realized it was solely about the curriculum.
Too early for that!Had me frantically checking for words like "regret" or "pleased to"
I received the updated curriculum email, too. They must've sent it to all interviewed applicants.
Now I'm torn between really liking the new curriculum (I really dig the 1.5 year of preclinical) and being afraid of being a guinea pig. And I'm not even accepted! 😀 Oh, the premed neuroticism!
I just received an email about a curriculum reform update. I was wondering if anyone else got this email? Hope everyone is doing well!
Yeah I was sitting in biochemistry and my heart rate jumped from 60 to about 150 as soon as I saw who it was from.
I saw the word "update" and thought it was "admissions update" -.-
Yeah I was sitting in biochemistry and my heart rate jumped from 60 to about 150 as soon as I saw who it was from.
Get this guy started on some cardizem.

Jeez when is the 11th page going to start?
Did everyone get this e-mail? I seem to have never received it
Have you checked your spam? (Just a thought)Did everyone get this e-mail? I seem to have never received it
Have you checked your spam? (Just a thought)
Yes - checked spam and everything. Can someone post the email on here? Very curious about the curriculum. Thanks y'all
Yes - checked spam and everything. Can someone post the email on here? Very curious about the curriculum. Thanks y'all
Sure no problem, here it is in my google drive. Let me know if that works for ya.
Thank you so much - really appreciate your help! This curriculum looks great - what are your thoughts?
Sure no problem, here it is in my google drive. Let me know if that works for ya.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much - really appreciate your help! This curriculum looks great - what are your thoughts?
I like it a lot, I think it's got a lot of advantages. It comes down mainly to the extra clinical time, every med student I know has said they think that is a good idea. Some people prefer the dry lecture style because you can skip class to watch at home or just self-study/do your own thing, but I am optimistic that the mix of lecture, flipped classroom, PBL, and other more engaging teaching techniques will be worth the bigger commitment of mandatory attendance time. I guess I am a little uneasy to be the very first class going through it because there are bound to be some kinks to work out but I think there is definitely a reason why more schools are moving towards the systems-based 1.5 yr preclinical curriculum.
If I get in here (fingers crossed), I'll be deciding between Weill Cornell and UW, which is doing a very similar curriculum overhaul but not for another year. So I would be the last class there to go through the traditional curriculum, which has its downsides but is tried-and-true. I don't know which I would choose!
Hey guys, it's March tomorrow!![]()
haha wow I completely forgot February is a short month. This is exciting.
haha wow I completely forgot February is a short month. This is exciting.
I know!! Now, if we can only convince Cornell to release decisions tomorrow.


In an act of extreme neuroticism, I used the distribution of release days from previous years to come up with the cumulative probability that we will have a decision for each of the days in the next two weeks. ...I swear I'm just really bored at work and only slightly insane. Anyway I might as well share:
(The values are a P-value of a z-test of the day on the distribution of previous release dates 2008-2013, converted to a percentage, with weekends removed. It's only a rough approximation.)
(The values are a P-value of a z-test of the day on the distribution of previous release dates 2008-2013, converted to a percentage, with weekends removed. It's only a rough approximation.)
