2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

In an act of extreme neuroticism, I used the distribution of release days from previous years to come up with the cumulative probability that we will have a decision for each of the days in the next two weeks. ...I swear I'm just really bored at work and only slightly insane. Anyway I might as well share:

View attachment 178808

(The values are a P-value of a z-test of the day on the distribution of previous release dates 2008-2013, converted to a percentage, with weekends removed. It's only a rough approximation.)

You are awesome! I mean that in the best way!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Late to the party, but I interviewed back in October and loved it here. My #1 choice for sure.

Since they just finished interviews last week, I doubt we'll hear anything before next Monday 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where are you going?
Don't know yet! Have not decided but I am from los angeles and I got a full ride to my undergrad university (USC). It's not ranked nearly as high as cornell but for me overall this option would already be a better fit. Also already got into a couple other top ten schools before my scheduled cornell interview date that I really liked. The thing that sucks is when I withdrew from Cornell they wrote back an email just to tell me that because I was withdrawing so late, they wouldn't be able to offer up my interview spot to another applicant. Seems like they were trying to reprimand me for withdrawing!
 
I don't think they accept as many as 300 from the 800 interviewed applicants. Cornell's class size is small. 102?

That would mean ~30% yield, which is about average (if not a bit low). I think Cornell's lack of merit aid hurts them in bringing in the tip top applicants, who are presumably accepted originally in March.
 
That would mean ~30% yield, which is about average (if not a bit low). I think Cornell's lack of merit aid hurts them in bringing in the tip top applicants, who are presumably accepted originally in March.
Yeah pretty much everything I've seen corroborates that hypothesis. The tip top applicants are usually pretty unimpressed with the financial aid packages...me on the other hand, I'll take what I can get haha.
 
Since Cornell is non-rolling, wouldn't they only admit as many as their class size (~102) and then pull from the waitlists then? What's the point of overadmitting if they already have seen all the candidates o.o
I think because historically like 66% of those accepted outright don't choose Cornell so they over admit to compensate for it. Lots of non-rolling schools over admit, including places like Harvard for instance.
 
Since Cornell is non-rolling, wouldn't they only admit as many as their class size (~102) and then pull from the waitlists then? What's the point of overadmitting if they already have seen all the candidates o.o
1. Cornell class is actually 101 students (for whatever crazy reason).
2. Many schools overaccept outright, extending the number of acceptances based on their typical yields. This was mentioned by LizzyM not that long ago.
 
Yeah I think I read that before too, but I was just wondering what the logic behind this was for a non-rolling school since I thought they would try to protect their yields...
Yeah I see what you're asking. Maybe it's just a practical matter of how long it takes for people to make decisions. Maybe if only 33 people accept and then 66% of those on the waitlist don't accept it would take a long time to go all the way through the list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I think I read that before too, but I was just wondering what the logic behind this was for a non-rolling school since I thought they would try to protect their yields...
Yeah I see what you're asking. Maybe it's just a practical matter of how long it takes for people to make decisions. Maybe if only 33 people accept and then 66% of those on the waitlist don't accept it would take a long time to go all the way through the list.
I second what cinnamoncoffee says. Schools want to fill their seats sooner rather than later.

When I first realized that schools overaccept outright, I was kind of upset that it would take 100+ rather than several people to withdraw before waitlisted candidates could even be considered for acceptance again. But the truth is, no matter how many people the school accepts outright, you still stand where you stand in comparison to all the other candidates, you know what I mean?
 
I second what cinnamoncoffee says. Schools want to fill their seats sooner rather than later.

When I first realized that schools overaccept outright, I was kind of upset that it would take 100+ rather than several people to withdraw before waitlisted candidates could even be considered for acceptance again. But the truth is, no matter how many people the school accepts outright, you still stand where you stand in comparison to all the other candidates, you know what I mean?

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. 🙂 Nice perspective. Thank you.
 
Since Cornell is non-rolling, wouldn't they only admit as many as their class size (~102) and then pull from the waitlists then? What's the point of overadmitting if they already have seen all the candidates o.o

I wondered this very thing about schools and started a thread about it.

LizzyM had responded with this:

Yes, schools do accept (not from the waitlist) more applicants than they have seats with the expectation that not every admitted applicant will accept the offer of admission. There is the opinion that one can recruit a stronger class by admitting applicants straight out and going head to head with peer institutions for applicants rather than accepting from the waitlist and trying to lure applicants away from a school that admitted them outright.
 
Last edited:
I put my bet on Wednesday 😎 No insider information whatsoever, just a guess.
Yea, I agree with you. Wednesday or Thursday...just based on past threads. If we're lucky, maybe we'll hear something on Friday...just going off Yale's surprisingly early release of decisions.
 
Does anyone know what format the decision will come out as? I'm hoping email as I'll be abroad for spring break.
 
I called the admissions office to ask for the appropriate email to send an update to and they told me that "it really doesn't matter at this point, but to send it anyways..." (it was a first authorship publication that was just formally accepted yesterday so I had to send it because Weill is my top top choice!) SO that means that all decisions HAVE been made and they are just making us wait. Humph. I can't wait much longer!
 
I called the admissions office to ask for the appropriate email to send an update to and they told me that "it really doesn't matter at this point, but to send it anyways..." (it was a first authorship publication that was just formally accepted yesterday so I had to send it because Weill is my top top choice!) SO that means that all decisions HAVE been made and they are just making us wait. Humph. I can't wait much longer!
Congrats on you publication!
Chances are, Cornell has already decided to accept you. Or, if you get wait listed, you'll have a nice update to send. (If, G-d forbid, they decided to reject you, I don't think anything would make a difference anyway.) Nothing to lose, as far as I can see 🙂
 
Congrats on you publication!
Chances are, Cornell has already decided to accept you. Or, if you get wait listed, you'll have a nice update to send. (If, G-d forbid, they decided to reject you, I don't think anything would make a difference anyway.) Nothing to lose, as far as I can see 🙂
Wait, so they knew you just had a first author publication accepted and they said it wouldn't matter at this point?! O: Wow... yup, our fates have been determined............ are you still considering sending it now instead of later, then? In any case, congrats on the publication 🙂 great job! and also, thanks for updating us!


I didn't mention what the update was when I was on the phone with them, but I doubt that would have changed their response. Regardless of what happens next, we all tried our best!

And Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't mention what the update was when I was on the phone with them, but I doubt that would have changed their response. Regardless of what happens next, we all tried our best!

And Thank you!

Darn, I recently sent a fairly substantive update as well. I suppose it cannot hurt in the event of getting waitlisted.