You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Interview invite at Case UT!!! So excited!!!
(No news on CT though)
(No news on CT though)
Yes, I received them both at the same time.
Guess that means I probably shouldn't hold my breath for the College Track...but fingers crossed anyway

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Woke up to an II, university track!
Excited to interview here tomorrow 🙂. Anyone who went on Monday have any thoughts/reflections about their experience?
Excited to interview here tomorrow 🙂. Anyone who went on Monday have any thoughts/reflections about their experience?
Could you let us know how it goes?? Good luck!!
Congrats!! If you don mindWoke up to an II, university track!
, when were you complete?
Congrats!! If you don mind
, when were you complete?
I submitted my secondary August 5, I don't think I ever actually got a complete email
.
Last edited:
II! So excited! (UT)
They interviewed 1055 last year, 528 of which were accepted, so nearly exactly 1 of 2.
This ratio held for IS vs OOS
Oh that's nice!
is its okay to write on my research essay "I authored a paper" even though I wasn't the first author?
thank you!
I would just say:
"I was a co-author of our publication in..."
or
"I contributed to our publication..."
Depending on how much you contributed to the paper
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
where are you getting this Info from? It's completely different from what's on MSAR..II! So excited! (UT)
They interviewed 1055 last year, 528 of which were accepted, so nearly exactly 1 of 2.
This ratio held for IS vs OOS
This is what the MSAR says for interview/acceptance data
Oh nevermind! I guess the discrepancy is between accepted and matriculated
I booked mine three days ago and there were still dates in both late September and October@ Y'all getting interview invites, what do the available dates look like?
@ Y'all getting interview invites, what do the available dates look like?
MWF, few dates left in Sept and nearly every day in Oct.
Hey guys,
Incoming MS1. Before anyone asks, here are the past cycles University Track essay questions:
1)Required Essay: Greatest Challenge (up to 3500ch)
The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe the greatest personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a time when you felt you were "in over your head," or a time when you felt personally criticized. You may also discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself as a result.
3)Optional Scholarly Essay (up to 3500ch)
One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve2 Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Track, if you have participated in research or in another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that the definition of research is broadly-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis, and can include both medically and non-medically-related investigations.
4)Optional Additional Information Essay:
Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee?
This could include information about your academic history, personal life or any other area that is of importance to you.
5) Required Small Group Essay: (300-1000ch)
If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it?
All of the above questions are also part of CCLCM's secondary, along with a couple of others I think (not sure b/c didn't apply).
Here's why I chose Case (UT):
1) True P/F: No ranking whatsoever for pre-clinicals, first two years don't count as part of AOA selection, nor play any role in final class rank.
2) Exposure to all 4 major forms of healthcare in top notch settings : As a Case student you can rotate in: University Hospitals (Top 20 academic center), Louis Stokes Veteran's Affairs (3rd largest VA in the country), Cleveland Clinic (top 5 private hospital), and MetroHealth (busy county hospital)
3) The Society Deans: The class is split up into four houses a la Hogwarts. Each house is headed by its own dean. Come 4th year this dean will collaborate with you in writing your Dean's Letter, a major part of your residency application. In this system each dean only has to write for ~40 students, allowing them to give a more personalized account of your overall application. The current group of deans are a really swell bunch, some of the most approachable people I’ve met.
4) Lots of research support esp. 4 month research rotation in 3rd year: lets you get in some research time without having to take your only summer off/ take an extra year. Also helps you out if you decide on a specialty late in the game.
Disclaimer: Again, I'm only an incoming student so I don't know how all of this stuff will work in practice; but Case seems to have a really good system in place.
I am applying here as well. Regarding the first prompt, do you think we could talk about a time we were discriminated against? Or is that too personal? How we overcame it and how we learned more about ourselves from such an experience? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated! :]
I got my first rejection of the cycle from the College Track on Friday. It came while at my Mayo interview so I wasn't even that upset. The only annoying thing is that the date on the letter was the 5th and they just now uploaded it. I would have rather known once they decided. Oh well, I still have my II for University Track!
Also just got rejected from College track (no email...). Kind of expected this after it didn't accompany my UT II. Have to agree with @sahmoc, oh well..
The prompt is so broad that it seems to be inviting you to discuss something personal--what is more personal and stinging than criticism? Discrimination would seem to qualify, but I would advise (from my seat beside you in the same boat, not as any kind of navigational expert!) that you be careful in the tone. It's easy to come across as judgmental and holier-than in discrimination stories. Obviously, I've written a few! Keep the emphasis on you and your growth and how the experience will make you a better MD, and your tale should introduce you as a rise-above sort of person! Hope I'm not coming off as too preachy and know-it-all, here. . .and hope the story moves you in the direction of your dream!I am applying here as well. Regarding the first prompt, do you think we could talk about a time we were discriminated against? Or is that too personal? How we overcame it and how we learned more about ourselves from such an experience? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated! :]
Thank you! Much appreciated. Yeah I definitely don't want to make it sound like I'm a victim or holier-thanThe prompt is so broad that it seems to be inviting you to discuss something personal--what is more personal and stinging than criticism? Discrimination would seem to qualify, but I would advise (from my seat beside you in the same boat, not as any kind of navigational expert!) that you be careful in the tone. It's easy to come across as judgmental and holier-than in discrimination stories. Obviously, I've written a few! Keep the emphasis on you and your growth and how the experience will make you a better MD, and your tale should introduce you as a rise-above sort of person! Hope I'm not coming off as too preachy and know-it-all, here. . .and hope the story moves you in the direction of your dream!
Go for it (and may the Force be with you!!)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When were you complete?I got my first rejection of the cycle from the College Track on Friday. It came while at my Mayo interview so I wasn't even that upset. The only annoying thing is that the date on the letter was the 5th and they just now uploaded it. I would have rather known once they decided. Oh well, I still have my II for University Track!
I am applying here as well. Regarding the first prompt, do you think we could talk about a time we were discriminated against? Or is that too personal? How we overcame it and how we learned more about ourselves from such an experience? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated! :]
It's an appropriate topic for sure, you just have to be careful how to present it.
Does anyone know if/when we find out who is interviewing us
I got my first rejection of the cycle from the College Track on Friday. It came while at my Mayo interview so I wasn't even that upset. The only annoying thing is that the date on the letter was the 5th and they just now uploaded it. I would have rather known once they decided. Oh well, I still have my II for University Track!
Same here. Would have appreciated an update email at least.
It's a high risk topic since you were the victim, unless you can somehow show how you engaged in some major activities to build bridges or create awareness in response to the incident. Basically, the incident fades to the background. In most cases it would be better to avoid talking about it in a secondary.I am applying here as well. Regarding the first prompt, do you think we could talk about a time we were discriminated against? Or is that too personal? How we overcame it and how we learned more about ourselves from such an experience? Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated! :]
II today.
EDIT: Complete 7/22
EDIT: Complete 7/22
Last edited:
When werer you complete...?II today.
Gah, sorry. Complete 7/22When werer you complete...?
II today for university track! Pretty surprised since my stats are a lot lower than theirs: OOS, ~3.7 cgpa, ~3.5 sgpa, >35 mcat. I turned in my secondary on 8/1 but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as being complete.
Well, there is always the chance that your wonderfulness came across in other ways. Congratulations and good luck!II today for university track! Pretty surprised since my stats are a lot lower than theirs: OOS, ~3.7 cgpa, ~3.5 sgpa, >35 mcat. I turned in my secondary on 8/1 but I'm not sure if that's the same thing as being complete.
Wow! They loved you! Whirlwind courtship! Congratulations and good interviewing!II on 9/18!!!! This is my first II, so I am extremely excited. Complete on 9/11
Got II for both tracks this morning, too. Certainly has made my weekend!II this morning for UT. (weird on a saturday morning but good news is good news)
Same here. Would have appreciated an update email at least.
Just got the update email. Nothing like rubbing salt in the wound.
7/21When were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II UT, complete 8/21/14.
So if we don't hear anything from CT, we can safely assume to be rejected? iApply shows no messages from the College Track.
So if we don't hear anything from CT, we can safely assume to be rejected? iApply shows no messages from the College Track.
Since I know absolutely nothing, I will reply. 🙄 They are completely (I've been told numerous times) independent. Refrain from assumptions--prolly best.II UT, complete 8/21/14.
So if we don't hear anything from CT, we can safely assume to be rejected? iApply shows no messages from the College Track.
Don't assume anything. Our admissions decisions and process is entirely separate. We are independent after submission of the secondaries until the final recommendations from the Dean at CCLCM are reviewed at Case proper.II UT, complete 8/21/14.
So if we don't hear anything from CT, we can safely assume to be rejected? iApply shows no messages from the College Track.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K