2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about this school prereqs. I went to a community college and then to UCLA. At CC, I took a semester of o-chem lab, and then transferred but didn't take another ochem lab. On the prereq page it says we need 2 semesters of lab. I am confused about this cause most other schools just require the one semester of lab. Also, at UCLA, everyone only takes one quarter of lab and doesn't seem to have a problem getting into med schools. Is this school special or something with this extra semester of lab?
 
Sorry if this is a dumb question: for the "Date Completed" of a prereq, is that the date when classes ended for the semester? Or when finals week ended? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about this school prereqs. I went to a community college and then to UCLA. At CC, I took a semester of o-chem lab, and then transferred but didn't take another ochem lab. On the prereq page it says we need 2 semesters of lab. I am confused about this cause most other schools just require the one semester of lab. Also, at UCLA, everyone only takes one quarter of lab and doesn't seem to have a problem getting into med schools. Is this school special or something with this extra semester of lab?

I'm from UCLA too and having the same issue. I was a physiological sciences major. Only took 1 lab for gen and organic chem. Was physics lab part of our physics series??
 
I'm from UCLA too and having the same issue. I was a physiological sciences major. Only took 1 lab for gen and organic chem. Was physics lab part of our physics series??

I dont understand how all the UCLA students didn't have problems then. I am not sure about physics because I took it somewhere else. I have two semesters of labs for each subject except organic I only have 1 semester of lab but over a year of lecture lol
 
I am in a similar boat to those of you with one OChem Lab. I just called admissions a little bit ago and was told if your lab had 2 credits given for it you could use that same course for both the first and second semester of the Ochem Lab requirements and meet their prereqs.
 
God their secondary is annoying, finding my school and putting in courses are just awful on their portal.....
 
I am in a similar boat to those of you with one OChem Lab. I just called admissions a little bit ago and was told if your lab had 2 credits given for it you could use that same course for both the first and second semester of the Ochem Lab requirements and meet their prereqs.

What do you mean by 2 credits? Like would a 4 unit, 1 quarter organic lab count as both requirements?
 
OOS applicant with low numbers. haven't received a secondary/rejection yet.

I just received a secondary, stats are as follows:
OOS applicant (MD)
undergrad cGPA: 3.59 sGPA :3.5
graduate GPA 3.53
MCAT : 29 (VR8/PS9/BS12)

I thought I'd be screened pre-secondary since the majority of posters here said MCAT<30 would be eliminated.
For those still waiting I wouldn't lose hope just yet!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the course prerequisite did everyone take two semester of gen chem with labs both semester? I only had lab one of the semesters and I don't know what to enter for gen chem lab 2nd semester
 
For the course prerequisite did everyone take two semester of gen chem with labs both semester? I only had lab one of the semesters and I don't know what to enter for gen chem lab 2nd semester

Same, my school only offered one general chem lab… i don't think 2 semesters are necessary ?
 
I called too with no answer. Left a voicemail but doubt they'll get back to me. Per their website
"
Prerequisite Courses:
  • Biology (with lab) 1 year
  • General chemistry (with lab) 1 year
  • Organic chemistry (with lab) 1 year
  • Physics (with lab) 1 year"

If gen chem lab isn't offered for 2 semesters we can't take it. Plenty of schools just have 1 intro chem lab course. I am just going to input my courses as they are…will still update if I hear back from them!
 
I called too with no answer. Left a voicemail but doubt they'll get back to me. Per their website
"
Prerequisite Courses:
  • Biology (with lab) 1 year
  • General chemistry (with lab) 1 year
  • Organic chemistry (with lab) 1 year
  • Physics (with lab) 1 year"

If gen chem lab isn't offered for 2 semesters we can't take it. Plenty of schools just have 1 intro chem lab course. I am just going to input my courses as they are…will still update if I hear back from them!

Are you going to put in the same lab twice?
 
On the prerequisite section it says if you're entering a combined lab/lecture course to explain this in the "course description box." Has anyone been able to figure out what box they're referring to? Both my bio and my physics courses were combined lecture/lab.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS undergrad but permanent residence in state so not sure on residency. 40 mcat w/3.89 sgpa and no secondary yet. Early amcas verification.
 
So did anyone figure out what to do about their 1 quarter lab vs. 2 semester requirement? Its getting later than one week on this secondary because I'm not sure if I'm eligible to complete...
 
Still struggling with this secondary... I really need to get it done.
in the same boat..i am giving myself a 2 week turn around period ..I just want my secondary to be really well written even if I have to delay it by a couple of days
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.
 
I called too with no answer. Left a voicemail but doubt they'll get back to me. Per their website
"
Prerequisite Courses:
  • Biology (with lab) 1 year
  • General chemistry (with lab) 1 year
  • Organic chemistry (with lab) 1 year
  • Physics (with lab) 1 year"

If gen chem lab isn't offered for 2 semesters we can't take it. Plenty of schools just have 1 intro chem lab course. I am just going to input my courses as they are…will still update if I hear back from them!
They told me I need to take it someplace else in order to apply!