2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking over their LOR requirements, and I see that they want one from a graduate advisor or thesis advisor if you went to grad school. My grad program was course-based, so I didn't have a thesis advisor or have much contact with my graduate advisor. I'm wondering if they'd accept one from grad faculty. Time to shoot out an email.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received the secondary today, but the e-mail also said, "Please be advised that it is strongly recommended that you retake the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in order for your application to remain competitive. If you are NOT planning to retake the MCAT, please notify our office before sending in the supplemental application by email."

Did anyone else get this? I'm really confused because I scored a 33 (10/11/12). I'll definitely be calling them.
 
Just received the secondary today, but the e-mail also said, "Please be advised that it is strongly recommended that you retake the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in order for your application to remain competitive. If you are NOT planning to retake the MCAT, please notify our office before sending in the supplemental application by email."

Did anyone else get this? I'm really confused because I scored a 33 (10/11/12). I'll definitely be calling them.

I'm surprised you got that. I did not receive that and my MCAT is in your neighborhood. Is your GPA at or above the average? That's the only thing I can think of; if it's not, maybe they are asking for a new MCAT score to offset a lower GPA. Other than that I'm stumped.
 
Just received the secondary today, but the e-mail also said, "Please be advised that it is strongly recommended that you retake the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in order for your application to remain competitive. If you are NOT planning to retake the MCAT, please notify our office before sending in the supplemental application by email."

Did anyone else get this? I'm really confused because I scored a 33 (10/11/12). I'll definitely be calling them.

I didn't get that and I got a 31, OOS. I think that must be a mistake on their part.
 
Just called and yeah they said it was an error and to disregard the message. I probably should have just called before posting here haha, but maybe it can help someone else if they're in a similar situation and freaking out a little.
 
I am in a similar boat to those of you with one OChem Lab. I just called admissions a little bit ago and was told if your lab had 2 credits given for it you could use that same course for both the first and second semester of the Ochem Lab requirements and meet their prereqs.

im guessing this would also be applicable for gen chem
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm confused by this "optional semester" of Physics, Organic, and General Chemistry Lecture/Lab... does that mean EVMS requires 6 semesters of each of those subjects? I guess the wording of "optional" under a "required" prerequisite tab is what's throwing me off.
 
Did you list your 1 quarter of organic lab twice?

Yes. If I'm one of the few who get in here and I end up matriculating, I will take the a semester of organic and general chemistry lab at a CC before I attend.

That is, of course, if they demand it. I've heard of schools waiving requirements like that for accepted students, so we'll see.
 
Did any in state applicants get an email yesterday requesting copies of voter registration/driver's license?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are you all expanding on the essay? My personal take on it is a very short & simple solution/viewpoint. Are you guys factoring in your own experiences or anything like that?

Edit: Figured it out
 
Last edited:
I looked over the thread so forgive me if I am just blind, but I havent' seen the prompts? Are they the same as last year?

Please provide brief detailed responses to the following Essay questions. Each question is limited to 2000 characters.

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now:

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS:
 
I looked over the thread so forgive me if I am just blind, but I havent' seen the prompts? Are they the same as last year?

Please provide brief detailed responses to the following Essay questions. Each question is limited to 2000 characters.

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:

What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now:

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS:

Yes they are the same
 
Just received the secondary today, but they put an MCAT hold on my account....taking it on the 24th 🙁
 
Got a secondary here yesterday. OOS, and they have a hold on my account until my MCAT scores from the 12th come in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys think it would be okay to write about more than 1 thing I would like/dislike about being a physician? I find it difficult to spend 2000 characters talking about 1 thing.
 
Do you guys think it would be okay to write about more than 1 thing I would like/dislike about being a physician? I find it difficult to spend 2000 characters talking about 1 thing.
if you can integrate both those topics you talk about it might be better
 
When I go to preview my secondary, under the education section, it lists each university I have attended and there is a spot for"degree." Has anyone figured out how to indicate the degree earned at each institution?
 
Non-traditional OOS here, got rejected for secondary. 35 MCAT but very low GPA (but 3.77BCPM/3.52AO in last 2.5 years), 3800 hours as ABA therapist, ~100 hours of clinical & volunteering.
 
Last edited: