2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the secondary today OOS. was verified on early June but new MCAT score didn't come out until 7/15. Does EVMS do hardcore screening? what's the chance of receiving an interview if you pass the secondary screen?
 
Is anyone else not hitting 2000 characters? I'm at 1000 for a lot of these. I can extend, but I don't want to ramble.
 
Is anyone else not hitting 2000 characters? I'm at 1000 for a lot of these. I can extend, but I don't want to ramble.

I averaged around 14oo characters per essay. I went into more detail on the "Why EVU" question (1900 Characters there), but for the other essays I went with the philosophy of quality>quantity.
 
I averaged around 14oo characters per essay. I went into more detail on the "Why EVU" question (1900 Characters there), but for the other essays I went with the philosophy of quality>quantity.
It seems like a lot of applicants seem to view the character counts as requirements instead of limits
 
It seems like a lot of applicants seem to view the character counts as requirements instead of limits
I'd say they are unspoken requirements for certain essays though. I will always use the max character count for a "Why X?" essay. But for the EVMS that is not necessary. But quality & quantity is always best 😉
 
Just making sure, the "How did you hear about EVMS" question has no bearing on our application right? Just wondering because it's the only school i've had that requires a written explanation
 
So this is weird but I got an email telling me I'm on hold and I'm ECSTATIC. This is because I have a fairly low GPA and they were asking for verification of a SMP I'm doing this year. I'm hoping this means they are interested enough that they didn't straight up reject me after I was complete! Fingers crossed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It says to fill out the "In-State" application only if you claimed residency in VA. However, it makes you select an answer for the first question. Have you guys been filling out this section, or answering the first question and leaving the rest blank?
 
I'm not yet in the application cycle myself (EVMS is my primary choice though!) - but I don't think I would take the risk of something intended as humor being misinterpreted.
ugh its so tempting though because it fits so well in the prompt and it can't be misinterpreted. but i guess you're right

what about EVMS makes it your first choice? other than the location and mission, I'm having a hard time finding anything to answer the why EVMS question?
 
I really am having a hard time with this secondary. I will be past the 2week turnaround deadline at midnight blehhhh
 
Hello I am an OOS applicant 3.7 MCAT 30. I have received my secondary a week ago.

I am trying to fill out the pre-reqs course list and having trouble! Most of my Bio classes didn't have separate labs. So my labs and lectures where all under the same course number and there is no way to show this. Anyone else having this issue?

Also it won't let me skip ahead and look at the essay questions. I do not have easy internet access (I live extremely rurally) so this is really annoying!
 
Hello I am an OOS applicant 3.7 MCAT 30. I have received my secondary a week ago.

I am trying to fill out the pre-reqs course list and having trouble! Most of my Bio classes didn't have separate labs. So my labs and lectures where all under the same course number and there is no way to show this. Anyone else having this issue?

Also it won't let me skip ahead and look at the essay questions. I do not have easy internet access (I live extremely rurally) so this is really annoying!

Here are the questions!

(2k character limit for each)

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine: *

What do you think you will like best about being a physician? *

What do you think you will like least about being a physician? *

Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now: *

Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS: *
 
...
I am trying to fill out the pre-reqs course list and having trouble! Most of my Bio classes didn't have separate labs. So my labs and lectures where all under the same course number and there is no way to show this. Anyone else having this issue?...
So I also had the same issue. I just wrote in the credits box "part of lecture course" with the same everything else as lecture course. I was approved/marked complete this week. You just have to make sure that total you have ~8 credits for bio lecture + lab.
 
Okay, so I submitted my app almost 2 weeks ago to EVMS...the status page says that they'll email me when my file is complete. My payment is in, and I've designated my letters...but still no email. Anyone else in this boat?
 
Okay, so I submitted my app almost 2 weeks ago to EVMS...the status page says that they'll email me when my file is complete. My payment is in, and I've designated my letters...but still no email. Anyone else in this boat?
I am in the same boat, submitted on 9th. Are you instate by any chance? The last correspondence I got was related to sending in instate documents which is the same day a lot of OOS seemed to be marked complete. Maybe they haven't gotten around to IS yet?
 
I am in the same boat, submitted on 9th. Are you instate by any chance? The last correspondence I got was related to sending in instate documents which is the same day a lot of OOS seemed to be marked complete. Maybe they haven't gotten around to IS yet?

I'm OOS
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys I was reading on some past forums that even if you pass the pre-secondary screen but have a MCAT of less than 30 you automatically get rejected.

Can anyone comment on this? I don't want to waste $100 if I'm going to get rejected based of my stats that should've screened me out to begin with…

I should add that the screen is <30 for OOS applicants but <27 of IS applicants.
 
How is slight humor taken in applications?

I threw this gem into one of the EVMS essays:

"... and appropriate fruit jello from the cafeteria from time to time."

I thought it would lighten the mood after describing what I'd like least about being a physician (based on experiences in a medicaid only skilled nursing facility :| )
 
I threw this gem into one of the EVMS essays:

"And still be able to fetch blankets from the warmer and appropriate fruit jello from the cafeteria from time to time."

I thought it would lighten the mood after describing what I'd like least about being a physician (based on experiences in a medicaid only skilled nursing facility :| )
Lol sounds like my volunteer position.
 
Non-trad OOS here. Got rejected for a secondary today. ~3.25 GPA, 33 MCAT, MS in a science-heavy degree program with gGPA of 4.0. A little surprised I was rejected this early, I thought most schools screen out sub-3.0.
 
Apologies if this has been asked/discussed already... Has anyone had a problem with the o-chem lab requirement. At my undergrad school, there is only one organic lab semester offered. So... I only have one semester... I can call about this obviously, but wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat. 🙂
 
Apologies if this has been asked/discussed already... Has anyone had a problem with the o-chem lab requirement. At my undergrad school, there is only one organic lab semester offered. So... I only have one semester... I can call about this obviously, but wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat. 🙂
yeah they told me I'd have to plan on taking stuff over the summer before matriculation if that was the case. They don't care what your school offers/doesn't offer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school only had 1 O chem lab as well, but it was 2 credits rather than the usual 1. Figured they just combined the two...Either way, I submitted my app and don't foresee any issues.

Edit: I got an application complete email too.
 
For clarification, I am going into my senior year at Penn State University and I have yet to take Physics II because it was not compatible with my course load during the spring semester or fall semester. I will be taking Physics II in the spring semester. Will this be held against me as an applicant?

OOS. Traditional. 3.8 cGPA. 3.6 sGPA. MCAT - pending. Granted a secondary application 7/20. Completed secondary 7/30
 
For clarification, I am going into my senior year at Penn State University and I have yet to take Physics II because it was not compatible with my course load during the spring semester or fall semester. I will be taking Physics II in the spring semester. Will this be held against me as an applicant?

OOS. Traditional. 3.8 cGPA. 3.6 sGPA. MCAT - pending. Granted a secondary application 7/20. Completed secondary 7/30
No it will not.