2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone want to share what kind of things to expect?

It's a really laid back interview in my opinion. My interviewers really tried to get to know me as a person and picked up on some certain things in my application that they were either interested in or had some concerns with. They asked me to expand on some of my experiences, and reflect, so know your AMCAS back and forth, but that goes even without saying. Overall enjoy it. Student body is SUPER friendly. I prepped ahead of time with some bioethics questions since its kind of known EVMS likes ethical scenarios so it may be a good idea to brush up on some impt topics.
 
It's a really laid back interview in my opinion. My interviewers really tried to get to know me as a person and picked up on some certain things in my application that they were either interested in or had some concerns with. They asked me to expand on some of my experiences, and reflect, so know your AMCAS back and forth, but that goes even without saying. Overall enjoy it. Student body is SUPER friendly. I prepped ahead of time with some bioethics questions since its kind of known EVMS likes ethical scenarios so it may be a good idea to brush up on some impt topics.
I second this as it basically covers everything, though I would also prepare for some things like if they ask you about a much smaller part of the AMCAS. When I interviewed they kinda glanced over things I thought they were for sure going to ask me about and focused on things that I felt were really not too important? But whatever. Also I think someone got asked about their bad letter of reccomendation that day so be prepared to explain.
 
WL top 1/3, interviewed 3/11/15. Does anyone know how many applicants are in the top 1/3rd?
Also waitlisted top 1/3.. best of luck to everyone 🙂
Waitlist today. Top 1/3. OOS Male. 3.65, 37.
The waiting game continues...
Waitlist top 1/3
Interviewed 3/6
OOS, 3.8, 30

Was wondering how yall knew you were in the top 1/3. Did they say explicitly say so in your email or did you call to find out? Thanks in advancce for shedding light on this
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was wondering how yall knew you were in the top 1/3. Did they say explicitly say so in your email or did you call to find out? Thanks in advancce for shedding light on this

You have to call them. After they verify who you are they'll let you know
 
Supposedly the top 1/3rd has 100 applicants-so, upon calling, did anyone get an answer as to where (within the tier) they were?
 
Has anyone else not heard back from this school at all? I applied in July...
I think the last few interviews are going out now possibly since someone was saying that the last interview date was approaching. It's not over yet I think. Hope everything goes well though!
 
I think the last few interviews are going out now possibly since someone was saying that the last interview date was approaching. It's not over yet I think. Hope everything goes well though!
I believe the admissions office said the last interview was 3/27/15.
 
I believe the admissions office said the last interview was 3/27/15.

I don't understand why I never received a denial. Maybe my application got lost? I guess I should contact them and ask.

Similar thing happened with Penn State. Got put on pre-interview hold and I have not heard from them since even though apparently their interviews are over 🙁
 
I don't understand why I never received a denial. Maybe my application got lost? I guess I should contact them and ask.

Similar thing happened with Penn State. Got put on pre-interview hold and I have not heard from them since even though apparently their interviews are over 🙁

same here in both cases. it is what it is with this idiotic, unorganized, chaotic, crappy process.
 
I don't understand why I never received a denial. Maybe my application got lost? I guess I should contact them and ask.

Similar thing happened with Penn State. Got put on pre-interview hold and I have not heard from them since even though apparently their interviews are over 🙁
I completely understand - the best piece of advice I received from a current medical student is "call the schools to check your application status." I did just that with EVMS 2 months ago and received an interview invitation over the phone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected via email. Looks like they are done with interviews.

"Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) has concluded its interview process for the 2015 entering class and would like to thank you for your interest in EVMS. This was a very competitive year and we wish you much success in gaining acceptance to medical school."
 
Rejected via email. Looks like they are done with interviews.

"Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) has concluded its interview process for the 2015 entering class and would like to thank you for your interest in EVMS. This was a very competitive year and we wish you much success in gaining acceptance to medical school."

I still haven't gotten that so thanks random stranger for letting me know hahahaha. They must have a ton of applications hanging around to deny and couldn't get through everyone today.
 
most likely will be matriculating here since i'm waitlisted at VCU... look forward to meeting you all in august!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At the interview sessions they said there is a date that accepted student can only hold one acceptance or they will be dropped by EVMS? Does anyone know what that date was? Can we expect some waitlist movement on that date?
 
At the interview sessions they said there is a date that accepted student can only hold one acceptance or they will be dropped by EVMS? Does anyone know what that date was? Can we expect some waitlist movement on that date?
April 30th is the day you must drop multiple acceptances. Movement on the wait list will begin soon, per admissions office.
 
Congrats to those accepted. I was told I am in the top of the middle 1/3...I thought that was funny! OOS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same scenario. Any idea what the odds are?
According to the numbers from US News & Review Compass:

Total Applicants:
Applied: 6585
Interviewed: 748
Accepted: 335 .....(includes those off waitlist)
Enrolled: 150

Unless I'm reading it wrong, to me that says 185 people will come off the waitlist in order to fill their class.

It also breaks the data down by IS/ OOS/ Women/ Minority
 
According to the numbers from US News & Review Compass:

Total Applicants:
Applied: 6585
Interviewed: 748
Accepted: 335 .....(includes those off waitlist)
Enrolled: 150

Unless I'm reading it wrong, to me that says 185 people will come off the waitlist in order to fill their class.

It also breaks the data down by IS/ OOS/ Women/ Minority
I might just be really bad at math but how are you calculating the 185 figure?
 
I might just be really bad at math but how are you calculating the 185 figure?

I subtracted the number enrolled from those accepted..... 335-150 = 185. I'm assuming they give an acceptance for each seat, and then as people drop off they take them off the waitlist. Of course each year is different. I think this is the data for last year??
 
I subtracted the number enrolled from those accepted..... 335-150 = 185. I'm assuming they give an acceptance for each seat, and then as people drop off they take them off the waitlist. Of course each year is different. I think this is the data for last year??
That could be true and I certainly hope it is But they probably over accept (>150) outright since people decline their acceptances and then go elsewhere, and then accept a small number of people from the wait list if the class still isn't full. 🙁