2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cool! Ty! I actually stayed at the Hilton for my last interview and loved it. Was even considering a more high end stay this time as well.

Definitely economical and not a high-end stay, a little run-down I'd say, but the gym part was more important to me. Having access to a full gym rather than the hotel and being within walking distance to explore the mall, movies, college university, and food was worth it. $10 taxi to the school/$25+tip to the airport.

Good luck at your interview. Be sure to prepare bioethics questions and to be informed on current healthcare topics.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone recommend any literature to read for background knowledge before my interview? Maybe a study about healthcare in/around the Norfolk area, initiatives, or just about the schools progress toward its mission? I've read the EVMS website and wiki.

Vox.com has non-biased reporting on healthcare policy/ACA. I thought it was very similar if not same to the Wall Street Journal subscription that I have.

i personally read the ACA article on wikipedia

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I am late to the party (very) and you guys probably don't remember me, but I just got an II! So excited!! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Cancelling my interview due to another acceptance. Hope it goes to a deserving candidate!

LOL How are they still interviewing kids? Is it me or is that nuts - it's Mid-March already!

LOL How are they still interviewing kids? Is it me or is that nuts - it's Mid-March already!
Yup quite a few schools I think interview to march's end. Past that very few do.

Definitely economical and not a high-end stay, a little run-down I'd say, but the gym part was more important to me. Having access to a full gym rather than the hotel and being within walking distance to explore the mall, movies, college university, and food was worth it. $10 taxi to the school/$25+tip to the airport.

Good luck at your interview. Be sure to prepare bioethics questions and to be informed on current healthcare topics.
Spent 3 hours at the gym. All by myself. Then climbed the rope on the morning before my interview.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1426305092.307276.jpg

Nice selfie gym pic.

Does anyone know if EVMS's alternate list ranking is based on WHEN you were interviewed rather than HOW WELL YOU DID in the interview? Nadda mean? Has anyone who was interviewed recently been placed in the top tier of the alternate list? Or anyone who interviewed early placed in lower tier? I am very much relying on this school to get into medical school this year. And I would LOVE to go there.

Nice selfie gym pic.

Does anyone know if EVMS's alternate list ranking is based on WHEN you were interviewed rather than HOW WELL YOU DID in the interview? Nadda mean? Has anyone who was interviewed recently been placed in the top tier of the alternate list? Or anyone who interviewed early placed in lower tier? I am very much relying on this school to get into medical school this year. And I would LOVE to go there.

I interviewed in October and was told I'm in the top 1/3. I called last month and they said our position in the waitlist doesn't change and that they're not using the waitlist until all interviews are over. From what I've heard, people get accepted from throughout the waitlist so your position may not matter. But I'm not 100% sure.

I would love to go to this school as well. I kinda hope the top 1/3 position means you have a better chance of getting off the waitlist. Would love for others to confirm.

I interviewed in October and was told I'm in the top 1/3. I called last month and they said our position in the waitlist doesn't change and that they're not using the waitlist until all interviews are over. From what I've heard, people get accepted from throughout the waitlist so your position may not matter. But I'm not 100% sure.

I would love to go to this school as well. I kinda hope the top 1/3 position means you have a better chance of getting off the waitlist. Would love for others to confirm.

last year i was in the top 1/3. it's true some had gotten accepted from the middle 1/3 so i'm not really sure how the waitlist works...

I asked them about this when I called them to see which third of the waitlist I was in. They say that once interviews are over, they start going through the waitlist, but by looking at demographics like OOS, male/female, etc of people that withdraw. If there are demographically similar people in each third, they pick the person that is most qualified (meaning higher on the waitlist). So your position on the waitlist matters, but you need the right person to drop out!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Interviewed on 2/20.

Now it's between EVMS and Albany.. Oh Norfolk, how I love you...

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed on 2/20.

Now it's between EVMS and Albany.. Oh Norfolk, how I love you...
Pick EVMS lololol. Are you going to EVMS second look?

Pick EVMS lololol. Are you going to EVMS second look?

I'm seriously leaning toward EVMS. Only 3 hours from home.. <3

And hells yeah - I am! When is it, BTW?

I'm seriously leaning toward EVMS. Only 3 hours from home.. <3

And hells yeah - I am! When is it, BTW?
April 10-11. And oh, I didn't know you were IS for Virginia.

Just found out today I'm in the top 1/3 waitlist. I'm in OOS female - what are the chances y'all? Also, has anyone on the waitlist been invited to second look?

April 10-11. And oh, I didn't know you were IS for Virginia.

I'm from the other side of the border, so OOS (MD suburb of DC). Nevertheless, it's relatively close to home, so that's a HUGE plus.

put on wait list as well.

i have been checking my e-mail like crazy expecting to hear. turns out it was in my spam folder from yesterday

Did you all call to find out your tier on the wait list?

Does anybody know if the financial aid packages will roll out before April 30? According to what is online (which may not be updated for this year...), it seems that awards will be going out 30-60 days before start of term. This just seems really late to me since the decision day is April 30. It'd be nice to know if we will receive any information before then since it could be a deal-breaker for some people.

Got an II last week, was definitely not expecting that. I believe I must have picked the very last interview day, next Friday 3/27. OOS, 3.66, 36. Interviewing for a wait list spot I'm sure but better than nothing!

Does anybody know if the financial aid packages will roll out before April 30? According to what is online (which may not be updated for this year...), it seems that awards will be going out 30-60 days before start of term. This just seems really late to me since the decision day is April 30. It'd be nice to know if we will receive any information before then since it could be a deal-breaker for some people.
I noticed that too... :(

I'm from the other side of the border, so OOS (MD suburb of DC). Nevertheless, it's relatively close to home, so that's a HUGE plus.
That's nice. I'm OOS but only 4 hours away in NC. I unfortunately cannot attend second look, but I hope you have fun if you choose to go!

Did you all call to find out your tier on the wait list?

i was told i was in the top 1/3. anybody have any ideas on the chances of getting of the WL? any tips to improve chances?

Does anyone know if EVMS has a Facebook page for the class of 2019? I know a lot of schools have them and I can't find one for EVMS.

I just called the financial aid office and they said they are going out 30 days before classes start. That seems so ridiculous to me. I need to have all the facts to make sure I am making an informed decision. VTC are offering a scholarship and I was hoping that EVMS would let me know what they are offering before I made my final decision. Well..... looks like I'm going to VTC. Good luck everyone :)

I just called the financial aid office and they said they are going out 30 days before classes start. That seems so ridiculous to me. I need to have all the facts to make sure I am making an informed decision. VTC are offering a scholarship and I was hoping that EVMS would let me know what they are offering before I made my final decision. Well..... looks like I'm going to VTC. Good luck everyone :)

But... but... but... you were so nice to me, and a friend - and now you aren't going to be there next year ?!?

PSYCH - I have to get accepted first. You will be missed regardless @DrOMG

Thank you for calling and sharing this information!

Waitlist today. Top 1/3. OOS Male. 3.65, 37.
The waiting game continues...

Also waitlisted top 1/3.. best of luck to everyone :)

WL top 1/3, interviewed 3/11/15. Does anyone know how many applicants are in the top 1/3rd?

WL top 1/3, interviewed 3/11/15. Does anyone know how many applicants are in the top 1/3rd?
Someone earlier said that there were 300 people on the waitlist, so I would guess ~100.