2014-2015 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development. This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.
2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse backgrounds. What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?
3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.
6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities and anything else you feel we should know.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
figured I'd get this to the first page to see if any discussion starts up! applying OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like you and me are applying to a lot of the same places Milkman. applying OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Loyola accept international students ? (specifically Canadians?) thank you!

Does Loyola accept international students ? (specifically Canadians?) thank you!

I don't think so. Not to come off a jerk, but that's really something that you could find on their website, pretty quickly too.

Applying OOS! If anyone could post prompts for secondaries that'd be appreciated

Applying OOS! If anyone could post prompts for secondaries that'd be appreciated
no one has received a secondary yet, but these are the prompts from last year:

1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development. This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.
2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse backgrounds. What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?
3. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.
6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities and anything else you feel we should know.

Thank you! Does this school typically alter their prompts?

Thank you! Does this school typically alter their prompts?
These are basically the same as the prompts from 2 years ago as well so I'm guessing no? You can always check last years thread too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it harder to get accepted as OOS at this school? (I.e. Do they have in-state preference??)

Is it harder to get accepted as OOS at this school? (I.e. Do they have in-state preference??)

They are a private school, so OOS is fine. Last year 52% of the class was OOS.

That's a relief to hear! My stats are in their range, and I would love to be in Chicago if possible.

Has anyone received a secondary application from Loyola yet?

That's a relief to hear! My stats are in their range, and I would love to be in Chicago if possible.

This is all true, but the MSAR says 13% of Illinois applicants interview, while it's it's less than 5% for OOS. Just something to keep in mind.

This is all true, but the MSAR says 13% of Illinois applicants interview, while it's it's less than 5% for OOS. Just something to keep in mind.
Hopefully it is because there is a much larger number of OOS applicants?(!) :( ...

Hopefully it is because there is a much larger number of OOS applicants?(!) :( ...

Well it's a proportion of each total so it can't be explained only by absolute number of applicants from each. I think they just see IL residents as more likely to attend. Schools like GWU and Boston also get a crazy amount of apps and they have the same slight in state bias.

secondary received! I was verified like 6/3.

1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

Really?! Oh no! Can you please share the questions?
See above, they're the same as last years.

You also have to pay $75 before you can even access your secondary application... -_-

But you can view it if you press "Print Application" to see the prompts and everything. Same as the above poster! Good luck y'all

You also have to pay $75 before you can even access your secondary application... -_-

But you can view it if you press "Print Application" to see the prompts and everything. Same as the above poster! Good luck y'all
I really don't like this. Seems like the school is only interested in $$$ when they make you pay before even showing you the prompts. I understand that most schools just want the money, that why they won't screen heavily before sending a secondary but Loyola makes this blatantly obvious. Not a good vibe to start off.

Reactions: 1 users
You're going to pay it eventually, right? Who cares then, shows that you are serious.

Does anyone know what the screening process is like? I understand that they screen first

Secondary received. Verified prior to 6/27

App fee is 85$...to start your secondary :rolleyes:

The length limit is "no more than 2 paragraphs". Also a 2x2 photo.

Also, it's technically only asking for 75$ on the actual payment page right now...

Heh the instructions say 85 but it's actually 75!

secondary received! I was verified like 6/3.

1. Describe a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

only these two questions? not the 6 questions from last year? they cut down huh?

Whoops sorry, gave you all false hope there for a second (did it on purpose?)

I attended 4 schools in total... all my recommendations are from 1 school.... :inpain:

Also their website is not working at the moment, I was trying to see what their screening process looked like...does any one have an idea?

Also their website is not working at the moment, I was trying to see what their screening process looked like...does any one have an idea?
From past thread, I think the threshold is 3.00 and 24 MCAT. Everyone gets one pretty much.

this secondary just puts a bad taste in my mouth.... putting on the back burner for now

Did you see the bit about the letters of recommendation needing the full name and AMCAS ID? Mine definitely don't have the AMCAS ID.. do you think I should do anything or just submit

Is anyone having trouble uploading a photograph? I've tried to upload one several times but when I click on the image in the 'choose file' window, all the images are faded/I can't select them. I've already tried to make it smaller (under 2MB like it says), but still no dice.

Any advice?

Is anyone having trouble uploading a photograph? I've tried to upload one several times but when I click on the image in the 'choose file' window, all the images are faded/I can't select them. I've already tried to make it smaller (under 2MB like it says), but still no dice.

Any advice?

Oppp it looks like something I did just worked lol! If anyone is using a Mac / Safari browser, just drag your picture from whatever folder it's in right into the 'choose file' button. Pretty random but it looks like it worked for me!

Reactions: 7 users
For the question asking about "if you're a reapplicant discuss what you've.." should I be mentioning I am a reapplicant if I didn't apply here the first time around?

For the question asking about "if you're a reapplicant discuss what you've.." should I be mentioning I am a reapplicant if I didn't apply here the first time around?

you aren't a reapplicant to that school...you don't have to say ur reapplicant.

Oppp it looks like something I did just worked lol! If anyone is using a Mac / Safari browser, just drag your picture from whatever folder it's in right into the 'choose file' button. Pretty random but it looks like it worked for me!
+1

Any advice?

Quick question about the photograph: did you just go to Walgreens/something, take a passport picture, and get the picture file on a disc or something? How do people usually do this?

Quick question about the photograph: did you just go to Walgreens/something, take a passport picture, and get the picture file on a disc or something? How do people usually do this?

I had my picture taken against a white wall at my house with a camera in a suit and tie... uploaded it to my computer...

Reactions: 1 users
Did you see the bit about the letters of recommendation needing the full name and AMCAS ID? Mine definitely don't have the AMCAS ID.. do you think I should do anything or just submit

all of your letters should have amcas ID on them just to get to amcas...