2014-2015 Northeast Ohio Medical University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those worried about the whole February 5th last interview day thing, I got invited to interview Thursday (3/19) and I'm a direct admission candidate, so they must have added more days. Anyone have information on the interview itself? They only gave me a week to prepare (that seems like the standard for everyone)
 
For those worried about the whole February 5th last interview day thing, I got invited to interview Thursday (3/19) and I'm a direct admission candidate, so they must have added more days. Anyone have information on the interview itself? They only gave me a week to prepare (that seems like the standard for everyone)
Congrats on the interview! Would you mind sharing stats?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current M1 here. Just to give you hope I interviewed last year April 15, waitlisted in may, got 1st tier waitlist assignment in June and was accepted July 5th.
So there is still hope for those of you who are still waiting!
 
Also good luck to those of you I saw around campus today! I would not want to be in your shoes again 😛
 
Current M1 here. Just to give you hope I interviewed last year April 15, waitlisted in may, got 1st tier waitlist assignment in June and was accepted July 5th.
So there is still hope for those of you who are still waiting!
Thanks so much for the information! When did you receive your II?
 
Has anyone else on the alternate/wait list been notified of their standing? My letter states that they will notify in late March about if I'm in the top, middle or bottom section of the waitlist. They were receptive to phone calls in the past so I'm debating reaching out, but I don't want to hassle them too much.
 
Has anyone else on the alternate/wait list been notified of their standing? My letter states that they will notify in late March about if I'm in the top, middle or bottom section of the waitlist. They were receptive to phone calls in the past so I'm debating reaching out, but I don't want to hassle them too much.
I've been wondering the same thing. I emailed them a couple of days ago with no response. If you call, let me know what they say!
 
I'm going to assume that the "late March" in the letter was a typo. I tried calling 3 separate times, so I could share what they told me on here. However, I got an answering machine all three times (tried two different numbers). I guess being patient is the best option at this point.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to assume that the "late March" in the letter was a typo. I tried calling 3 separate times, so I could share what they told me on here. However, I got an answering machine all three times (tried two different numbers). I guess being patient is the best option at this point.

I tried calling 2 times as well and only obtained the answering machine as well. Perhaps late March was initially intended but since they opened up another interview date it has been adjusted? I'm not sure either. Good luck and if I do find anything out I'll be sure to share.
 
After calling several times, I finally got through to someone last Friday. They informed that the alternate list is not prioritized as of now due to finishing up interviews. We should hear back before May via snail mail, but if not, they said to feel free to call the office again the first week of May. They might also send an email blast to notify everyone of the late March mishap and to provide a progress update. Hope this brought some peace of mind. Good luck to everyone.
 
Me too! Not sure if I'm going to take it, though.....I want to know if they are only interviewing for waitlist spots or not
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to all those who are about to interview. I was very impressed by each of the people I interacted with at NEOMED, who were not only professional, but kind; the only reason I'm not going there is because I was admitted to a school much closer to family.
 
Good luck to everyone on Thursday!

Remember that NEOMED is a school that really focuses on bringing in kind and personable future physicians, its really what they pride themselves on, possibly even more than impressive accomplishments. They love the human element. Really emphasize how important it is to be able to communicate effectively with our future patients, especially those from underserved populations who may have poor medical comprehension skills, and how you would effectively communicate with them to ensure they understand their treatment etc. (if you can work it in there)
 
Last edited:
Any other advice in terms of interviewing? I interview Thursday! Any ethical, situational questions?

Good luck to everyone on Thursday!

Remember that NEOMED is a school that really focuses on bringing in kind and personable future physicians, its really what they pride themselves on, possibly even more than impressive accomplishments. They love the human element. Really emphasize how important it is to be able to communicate effectively with our future patients, especially those from underserved populations who may have poor medical comprehension skills, and how you would effectively communicate with them to ensure they understand their treatment etc. (if you can work it in there)
Good luck to everyone on Thursday!

Remember that NEOMED is a school that really focuses on bringing in kind and personable future physicians, its really what they pride themselves on, possibly even more than impressive accomplishments. They love the human element. Really emphasize how important it is to be able to communicate effectively with our future patients, especially those from underserved populations who may have poor medical comprehension skills, and how you would effectively communicate with them to ensure they understand their treatment etc. (if you can work it in there)
 
Any other advice in terms of interviewing? I interview Thursday! Any ethical, situational questions?

It really depends on who your interviews are, but I've never heard of anyone getting ethical questions from NEOMED, and no really weird questions like "if you could be a kitchen utensil, which one would you be." Its a pretty straight forward interview.

For my personal interviews, it worked out that one of my 30 minute interviews focused alot on my personality and asked the standard interview questions of "greatest strength, weakness" etc. I think she even had one of the print outs of potential interview questions that I had looked at online prior to my interview, it was really standard.

The second interviewer (just by luck of the draw) was really into community and asked me alot of questions like what have I done to promote health in my community. Neither really focused on my accomplishments or my resume, they both really focused on what type of person I was and how compassionate I was about the people around me.

A few other pieces of advice:
1. Know NEOMED's mission statement and how you would promote it, that comes up sometimes
2. NEOMED officially promotes primary care specialties (obviously you can go into whatever you want when you get here, but officially they promote people going into primary care). Some people say they are interested in primary care to promote their chances of acceptance, just be prepared that if you say you are interested, have examples or reasons why you are interested ready to discuss, my second interviewer really delved into that to find out why I was interested in it.
 
It really depends on who your interviews are, but I've never heard of anyone getting ethical questions from NEOMED, and no really weird questions like "if you could be a kitchen utensil, which one would you be." Its a pretty straight forward interview.

For my personal interviews, it worked out that one of my 30 minute interviews focused alot on my personality and asked the standard interview questions of "greatest strength, weakness" etc. I think she even had one of the print outs of potential interview questions that I had looked at online prior to my interview, it was really standard.

The second interviewer (just by luck of the draw) was really into community and asked me alot of questions like what have I done to promote health in my community. Neither really focused on my accomplishments or my resume, they both really focused on what type of person I was and how compassionate I was about the people around me.

A few other pieces of advice:
1. Know NEOMED's mission statement and how you would promote it, that comes up sometimes
2. NEOMED officially promotes primary care specialties (obviously you can go into whatever you want when you get here, but officially they promote people going into primary care). Some people say they are interested in primary care to promote their chances of acceptance, just be prepared that if you say you are interested, have examples or reasons why you are interested ready to discuss, my second interviewer really delved into that to find out why I was interested in it.

I really appreciate all of the advice, thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received a letter stating that I am in the top tier. I interviewed in November and haven't heard anything since my waitlist around Christmastime, so this was a welcomed update.
 
Do decisions come via snail mail or email? Interviewed several weeks ago and one person said snail mail and the other said email.
 
So I was wondering if anyone could speak on the waitlist. Is there anyway to gauge when we'd hear back and what the chances are of hearing back? I'm "near the top" but I read on last year's thread that people were hearing back from top even in July.

Also, would an update letter actually get read/potentially facilitate the process at all?
 
Another place on the alternate list. When were you all notified of your priority?

I interviewed January and got a letter with place in early May, I imagine most others except for the super late interviews received their letters around the same time.

Hope that helps!
 
I interviewed January and got a letter with place in early May, I imagine most others except for the super late interviews received their letters around the same time.

Hope that helps!

After you found out you were waitlisted, were you informed when you could expect a letter of your placement?
 
I just received a phone call indicating that I've been accepted from the waitlist here.

I'm seriously considering attending. I hope other good news is going around!
 
After you found out you were waitlisted, were you informed when you could expect a letter of your placement?

I received a letter within a month of my interview and it indicated I would be hearing back around end of March.

The letter I received in early May (indicating my placement) acknowledged that they were a little behind because they had interviews run for so long.

So I definitely did not receive the placement letter when I was supposed to.
 
In the next two days, I will accept the seat offered to me by NEOMED. This is a great place and I'm happy that the ADCOM here extended me such an opportunity.

Good luck to the rest of the waitlist, the summer is young and I am sure that things will come your way. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm top tier w/ a 3.52 cum and 3.29 sGPA.
When did you interview? I interviewed April 23 and have been told I'm on the alternate list, but have not been told what tier. Did they call you or email you with your tier? Thanks!
 
Just was told I'm middle tier.... :/ anyone know if NEOMED typically reaches middle tier on the wait list?
 
What were your stats?
high 20s for my MCAT, ~3.83 GPA. over 200 hours shadowing, over 400 volunteer hours, 4 pretty significant publications with a well known lab, current job in research, and a lot of patient care hours. I felt the interview went well, so I'm not sure what happened
 
high 20s for my MCAT, ~3.83 GPA. over 200 hours shadowing, over 400 volunteer hours, 4 pretty significant publications with a well known lab, current job in research, and a lot of patient care hours. I felt the interview went well, so I'm not sure what happened

Sheesh, that's pretty good! Hopefully it works out!