You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Rutgers University - Robert Wood Johnson Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Applying here! Good luck everyone!

Applying here as well! The "pre-professional competency" questions on the secondary are a doozy, though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying here as well! The "pre-professional competency" questions on the secondary are a doozy, though.
Are you going off of last years thread or did you already receive a secondary?
Applying here, really hoping for some OOS love!
Are you going off of last years thread or did you already receive a secondary?
I'm going off of last year's thread. No schools have given out any secondaries yet.
Can any current students offer what RWJ looks for in an applicant? Also what do you like about the school?
Writing about professional competencies is like pulling teeth.
I was thinking of using the same activity (hospital volunteering, etc) but using a different situation for each individual competencyFor the pre-professional competency questions, did you guys use the same experience for multiple competencies? @Person0715
I repeated experiences for multiple competencies if the experience was appropriate. I don't think there's any harm in that.
Just received the secondary email. Same prompts as last year. This is one of the few that I am dreading, the prompt really is unusual.
For the pre-professional competency questions, did you guys use the same experience for multiple competencies? @Person0715
I repeated experiences for multiple competencies if the experience was appropriate. I don't think there's any harm in that.
I did the same for cultural competence and teamwork/social interpersonal skills. Same experience but different aspects/perspectives. I can't see a reason why they would fault me for that. I'm sure they know I'm a real person and have more than one experience in my life to draw from. Its just the most applicable and easiest to write about.

Is anyone else having trouble paying the app fee through the portal they provided?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So how much are we allowed to write for these? Whatever fits in the box? I can easily resize the boxes in their secondary document so...
They state that they're looking for one paragraph, at least for the competencies section. I'm sure you can get away with adding a few lines if you need to. I expanded them for one or two things but not by much
Is anyone else having trouble paying the app fee through the portal they provided?
I am. I keep getting stuck on that page where it asks for "Application type" with the drop down menu that doesn't expand. Did you get it to work?
I am. I keep getting stuck on that page where it asks for "Application type" with the drop down menu that doesn't expand. Did you get it to work?
I emailed them. Let's see what they say.
They just emailed me back. They said they are looking into it and to just try again later.
Would working during winter breaks count as being employed during the school year?
Just so everyone knows, it seems that the issue was cleared up. I was able to go in and process the payment this time.They just emailed me back. They said they are looking into it and to just try again later.
Just so everyone knows, it seems that the issue was cleared up. I was able to go in and process the payment this time.
Mine went through just now as well. Thanks for the heads up! 👍
Hi guys, quick question on the following prompt:
If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year.
1 - are they referring to the continuity of our undergraduate education? or to gap years after graduation?
2 - by "line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year" do they mean a something simple like the following:
May 2012 - May 2013 - Peace Corps XYZ
Or do they want a blurb/mini-essay?
Thanks guys!
If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year.
1 - are they referring to the continuity of our undergraduate education? or to gap years after graduation?
2 - by "line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year" do they mean a something simple like the following:
May 2012 - May 2013 - Peace Corps XYZ
Or do they want a blurb/mini-essay?
Thanks guys!
Hi guys, quick question on the following prompt:
If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year.
1 - are they referring to the continuity of our undergraduate education? or to gap years after graduation?
2 - by "line by line description to explain by month/year to month/year" do they mean a something simple like the following:
May 2012 - May 2013 - Peace Corps XYZ
Or do they want a blurb/mini-essay?
Thanks guys!
I would guess that they want you to describe any break in education that isn't just between two semesters (i.e. more than 3 months). Line by line description seems like if you were enrolled until may 2012, took a gap year and started education again in may 2013, your description would be "From May 2012-May 2013 I did....". They simply want to know what you did if you weren't enrolled in some sort of educational program.
I put 2014-2015, I thought because we're applying in the 2014-2015 cycle?For admission term I'm assuming you guys said Academic Term 2015-2016 (this is for the online payment processing portal)?
Hey all, this may be a dumb question but just wanted to double check. For the lovely pre-professional competencies section, does "service orientation" mean community service?
Hey all, this may be a dumb question but just wanted to double check. For the lovely pre-professional competencies section, does "service orientation" mean community service?
I think any situation wherein you displayed a willingness to serve other people would be best. Read "service orientation" as "willingness and dedication to help people out of the goodness of your heart." Community service is a great one to write about. I actually wrote about my military service for mine which was fairly straightforward. Hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Perfect, thank you!!!!
Just got the complete email. Does anyone how when IIs come out?
@Lamel, I am complete with LORs.
anyone have any input for what they put for the last "clarification of application" question?
Just got this secondary today, an hour after my primary was verified. First question,
1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).
Does this mean a B minus? Open or closed ends..
1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).
Does this mean a B minus? Open or closed ends..
Just got this secondary today, an hour after my primary was verified. First question,
1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).
Does this mean a B minus? Open or closed ends..
I explained a B-. It can't hurt to be liberal with your explanation. Also, you don't want to risk looking bad if they actually did want you to explain a B- and you didn't.
I explained a B-. It can't hurt to be liberal with your explanation. Also, you don't want to risk looking bad if they actually did want you to explain a B- and you didn't.
That's what I was planning on, didn't know if anyone knew they count anything with a B as a B.
Thanks.
Yay, secondary complete, that was a fun one 🙂
Do any current or upcoming students know when RWJ usually begins extending IIs?
This Secondary is MADNESS
Can someone post the prompts for this secondary please?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone post the prompts for this secondary please?
Each prompt comes with a text box for you answer that fits about one paragraph. Not every question is required, but the competency prompts took a while to finish.
1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application in which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).
2. If your education has not been continuous, please provide information to explain the gap(s) by providing a line-by-line description to explain by month/year to month/year.
3. Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details.
4. If you applied as a non-resident (other than NJ), please let us know if you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc.
5. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.
6. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.
7. In the next series of questions, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or accomplishments that demonstrate each of these pre-professional competencies. Your responses will be limited to one paragraph and will include: the situation where you demonstrated the competency, your actions and resulting consequence, what you learned as a result.
-Integrity and Ethics
-Reliability and Dependability
-Desire to Learn
-Service Orientation
-Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills
-Cultural Competence
-Resilience and Adaptability
8. Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application?
kind of sucks that they have a question about being a non-resident but no question about why you want to go to their school if you're not a NJ resident
+1Do any current or upcoming students know when RWJ usually begins extending IIs?
I talked to them pretty recently, like middle of last week, and they said they haven't started going through secondaries yet.
QUESTION.....for the "pre-professional competency" questions...is it ok if I bring up very specific experiences that I've had (more like a specific story)....experiences that did not occur during the ECs that I mentioned in my primary? ....just a simple story about how I showed "quality A"?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 253
- Views
- 93K
